MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

3 hours ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

WTF!?! There is a LEGO Baby Yoda plush!

https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-star-wars-baby-yoda-plush-released/

I NEED this!

Yeah, only in target, so those of us not in America are screwed out of something good as usual :hmpf_bad: oh, unless we want to pay extortionate prices of course. 

Regarding the cantina, it looks like they've done a spot on job with it for sure, and they included all 3 biths too! As someone else said, shame the usual characters got in kuded as even just including only luke and han would have been enough, and left room for others, but still good either way, and the dewback is a lovely inclusion as is the speeder! 

But the negative? 

The star wars tax blatantly shows here. Look at diagon alley, 5544 pieces... over 2300 *more* pieces just for $50 more! No way the dewback soaks up *that* much. I'd like to get it, but, likely only if I see it on some sort of discount, which, I practically never see here in the uk. Can't justify getting screwed just because it's finally something that's been wanted by many for so long and they know they can screw us. 

*edit* is the dewback exactly the same as the previous one? 

Edited by Fuppylodders

27 minutes ago, thenudeorganist said:

I just built a Mos Eisley Cantina MOC last year and wouldn't want to spend 350€ on this one... How much do you reckon the prices for characters like Evazan, Baba, Garindan and the Devaronian will be? I'm kinda nervous that it'll be something like 20€/figure, in which case it would be more or less stupid not to buy the whole thing :D

Yup. Had this problem with cloud city -  never got Lando because he never dropped below £30 - 30!!!

Luckily they gave us the 20th anniversary one a few months later. If they hadn't I would have bought the full set just for Lando. Bespin Luke, Leia, £10 each from US. Cloud car pilots came in advent calendar so hit rock bottom.

I would say the most valuable figs (Ponda, Garindan etc) from this set will start at £25 quid and drop to £12 - 15 over time. 

17 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

The star wars tax blatantly shows here. Look at diagon alley, 5544 pieces... over 2300 *more* pieces just for $50 more! No way the dewback soaks up *that* much

I think it's fairly well proven that TLG spread the cost of licenses over multiple themes but the real reason here will be that adult SW fans are more willing to spend silly money on SW stuff so they might as well get the most out of us.

Language though mate eh. No need to be anatomical.

19 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

But the negative? 

The star wars tax blatantly shows here. Look at diagon alley, 5544 pieces... over 2300 *more* pieces just for $50 more! No way the dewback soaks up *that* much.

As I’ve said over in the HP thread, that kind of comparison isn’t really fair. The “tax” isn’t the only difference :wink: The Cantina introduces more new moulds than Diagon Alley does (at least 3 vs 1), the Dewback does account for some of the price difference, and the PPR is a notoriously flawed metric in general. A 1x1 stud does not equal a huge wedge piece. Not even weigth is a good metric since it doesn’t account for mould complexity :shrug_oh_well: 

1 hour ago, ThousandMoon said:

Still happy to get one of the Saurin characters - I assume they'll use the Bossk head mould in tan / dark tan - great for several other Trandoshan characters!

Problem is you need two if you want to do the twins who mug Mando and baby Yoda in chapter 2.  So even if I get the set I'll be on bricklink. Oh, my aching bank.

Anyone any idea what the little hologram piece might be? Bottom right 

Price per piece is definitely a flawed metric. We should be looking at the volume of stuff we are getting. If we compare Diagon Alley and Mos Eisley Cantina (which we probably shouldn't do..), Diagon Alley definitely is the larger and more flamboyant model. But the gap between the two gets certainly smaller if we look at the minifigures. Minifigures influence the price of a set notably, and in the Cantina, we get 21, four more than Diagon Alley (if the mannequins are counted). Three of which, have new molds. In addition, the Cantina brings back the huge Dewback mold. The addition of the speeder also adds to the volume of stuff, therefore; I would say that the price difference is reasonable. Needless to say, the prices are still ridiculously high, but that's Lego for you. 

Edited by thenudeorganist

19 minutes ago, Redroe said:

Problem is you need two if you want to do the twins who mug Mando and baby Yoda in chapter 2.  So even if I get the set I'll be on bricklink. Oh, my aching bank.

You can get Trandoshans fairly cheap as Bossk was in 75167 battle pack.

20 minutes ago, Redroe said:

It appears to be just a translucent blue crystal piece. Don't know about its purpose here.

49 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

As I’ve said over in the HP thread, that kind of comparison isn’t really fair. The “tax” isn’t the only difference :wink: The Cantina introduces more new moulds than Diagon Alley does (at least 3 vs 1), the Dewback does account for some of the price difference, and the PPR is a notoriously flawed metric in general. A 1x1 stud does not equal a huge wedge piece. Not even weigth is a good metric since it doesn’t account for mould complexity :shrug_oh_well: 

I understand that ppp is just a soft guide and by no means a hard reference point, but to this degree when those extra pieces aren't simply a bucket load of 1x1s or technic pins? Nah, you can only stretch it so far before it's blatantly obvious. 

Especially when the original mos eisley set (75052) came with the dewback (massive new mould), biths (new moulds) and 8 minifigs for £65 for 616 pieces in the same style of pieces as is in the ucs version. 

Edited by Fuppylodders

2 hours ago, ThousandMoon said:

Ah so it's not Elis Helrot (scream guy) then! Still happy to get one of the Saurin characters - I assume they'll use the Bossk head mould in tan / dark tan - great for several other Trandoshan characters!

It could be, but from the pictures I think it could be a new mold, which would be far better.

45 minutes ago, Redroe said:

true true, but the hope is that this colour variant might appear in a cheaper set down the line. I can only assume the hologram piece is Leia...

Do people think that this Han Solo will have the dual-molded legs in dark blue?  

Still hoping for dual-molded 3PO and back-printed R2, as well

5 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

Do people think that this Han Solo will have the dual-molded legs in dark blue?  

Still hoping for dual-molded 3PO and back-printed R2, as well

I hope so for Han, as it was in the previous Master Builder series set. From the pictures, 3PO is as usual, and R2 is never shot from behind. I would shot it that way if it had back printing, but who knows.

Edited by dvogon

21 minutes ago, dvogon said:

I hope so for Han, as it was in the previous Master Builder series set. From the pictures, 3PO is as usual, and R2 is never shot from behind. I would shot it that way if it had back printing, but who knows.

Ah, thanks.  :classic:

This set also gives me hope that we will eventually get a massive Yavin IV playset (which I would have greatly preferred to a Cantina, but oh well).  Can’t wait to see what 2021 has in store...in terms of Lego, I mean.  

With the way this set is made and designed I can definitely see a Geonosian/Petranaki Arena in the near future. Wouldn’t be surprised if a Yavin 4 base also. Sorry if this was too wishlist-like. 

When will official picture release?

I always see the logic of "if they hadn't included X character there would have been room for Y." There is little to back this argument outside of sets like Battlepacks and Microfighters that have an almost 100% precise fig count. If you look at any given sets at similar price points you can clearly see that there is no golden rule on how many figures will be included. There certainly is a limit, we were never getting 30 figs, but we've seen 30$ dollar sets with 6 figs, 130$ sets with 5 figs, and everything in between. I seriously doubt any designer was told, If you make this new awesome figure for Mos Eisley, you won't have room in that set for Luke "been in every set ever" Skywalker. Much more likely they were allowed X number of new molds / prints and then also included preexisting relevant figs. 21 figs and 7 of those being new, and at least 2 new molds, and a dewback is better than I expected.

I've seen this fallacious logic for years. It doesn't hold water.

I am glad my low figure estimate was blown out of the water with Garindan, the Devaronian, and Kal-Fas. If I had seen just the figure list, I would have called it out as wild wish-listing.

What I enjoy most is the amount of terrain surrounding the buildings they give you, where figures can comfortably be set outside. Plus it is nice to finally get two vaporator builds that are actually tall.

The Dewback pen is great. That means I will now have a full family of them complete with the child sized brick built microfighter.

The mandatory landspeeder joke was satisfied but averted with the white speeder and the Ubirkkian. And I don't fault the Ubrikkian repeat since it is directly in front of the Cantina door in the film.

So overall in a vaccuum this satisfied the volume of stuff decently well. The moment of truth will be when a better look at the cantina interior shows up.

Before anyone goes too far down the "the-price-is-too-high" rabbit hole, wait for the official announcement. While it has been listed as €/$350 for a few months now, there have been some last-minute price switcheroos lately, so it could end up being less — or more. I've heard even press release drafts sent to LAN members have ended up being incorrect.

But comparing pricing of Star Wars to Harry Potter isn't really fair... LEGO clearly pays more for the Star Wars license than it does for HP, so you have to expect our prices to be higher too. (And please, don't blame Disney... it was George's Lucasfilm that negotiated the initial license 20 years ago, and at least one of the subsequent renewals).

11 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Like TSFKATRC? :laugh:

I'm not so sure either. If it is real, it looks great, but there aren't any new molds, and the prints aren't in focus enough to see if they're new or not.

Yepp!

I was apparently an unnecessary Thomas again, next time even if it's just made of one brick, I will believe it

8 hours ago, Frizzlefry25 said:

Definitely looks better than I imagined, not quite good enough to get me down the path of UCS/MBS/ whatever they want to call these playsets. But close!

Now to wait for some UCS Vehicles next year!

Now Im puzzled, wasn't the MSB label discountinued? 

6 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that this is the first time in the entire history of LEGO Star Wars that there have been seven entirely new characters in one set. There have been sets with more new minifigures (eg., 10188, where most of the figures were new prints of existing characters), but if there has ever been a set that introduced more new names than this I haven’t spotted it. 

Trying to think of it, but you are probably right. The closest I think with completely new character was probably the UCS Sand Crawler, if one would count droids as characters

3 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I absolutely love the set, the amount of new figures is stunning, the design is amazing. My only gripe is that I would have very much preferred a molded bantha over another dewback

Yeah, they had better variation of minifigures than I hoped for so definitely not displeased, however they still could have added three more I think.

As for the Bantha, I agree with you, I got a custom one from Astarbricks like two years ago, don't know if he still sales them, and it doesn't work if u r a purist of  course, but thats the best option out there. However I dont think a Lukes Homested or Tusken raider pack is an impossibility, lets hope for it as well.

3 hours ago, Redroe said:

I would say the most valuable figs (Ponda, Garindan etc) from this set will start at £25 quid and drop to £12 - 15 over time. 

I think its superhard to predict the price change for minifigures. Some definitely drop over time, but others, like Ahsoka, Zeb Orrelius, Rex and the Old Rebuplic Jedi knight (unforutantely I sold the last two when they were far from their price peak) just got damn expensive instead. Even if they were not in super expensive UCS sets.  

1 hour ago, ArrowBricks said:

With the way this set is made and designed I can definitely see a Geonosian/Petranaki Arena in the near future. Wouldn’t be surprised if a Yavin 4 base also. Sorry if this was too wishlist-like. 

When will official picture release?

Well if it sells well it's possible, the only we can do to help is that as many of us as possible try to buy this beautiful gem. Next few weeks gonna be a long hard waiting. Will try to even wait until next LUG discount day, but not sure I can hold back that long. 

1 hour ago, RogueTwo said:

This set also gives me hope that we will eventually get a massive Yavin IV playset (which I would have greatly preferred to a Cantina, but oh well).  Can’t wait to see what 2021 has in store...in terms of Lego, I mean.  

Now that Lego is starting to get that Master Builder Series thing right, a Yavin IV set would be great.

4 hours ago, Redroe said:

I know... I guess I'm in a minority here but I'd have preferred a "bunch of stuff" approach to this location. That's what I was expecting based on the first few images. As it is, looks like I'm bricklinking half a dozen figures. 

May have to do the same. Regardless of whether I can fork out the cash for this, as much as I like the look, I dont know where I would put it! Probably too wide for the shelves I currently keep my sets on, unless it's possible to be divided up as @Brikkyy13 hoped for. 

If that were the case, it could make a great backdrop behind my minifig collection. 

Whatever the case, I need to get my hands on some of those figs. Such a great selection.

Hopefully the prices aren't too much, I confess I did spend a fair bit on that Cloud City Lando because I always wanted his precursor as a kid and he's my favourite character, but I couldn't justify that kind of price on other characters. 

52 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

think its superhard to predict the price change for minifigures. Some definitely drop over time, but others, like Ahsoka, Zeb Orrelius, Rex and the Old Rebuplic Jedi knight (unforutantely I sold the last two when they were far from their price peak) just got damn expensive instead. Even if they were not in super expensive UCS sets.  

Availability is the key metric - if a fig is never likely to show up again, the price is through the roof. Take the cloud car pilots, or Guavian death gang soldiers, both expensive until they suddenly showed up in an advent calendar which no one could have predicted would happen. So yeah... Garindan and co. will command high prices for a long time.

3 hours ago, dvogon said:

It appears to be just a translucent blue crystal piece. Don't know about its purpose here.

I dont buy that, I think it doesn't look like a crystal but a micro fig. My guess is vader from when the troopers are looking for the droids.

2 minutes ago, SEmrys said:

May have to do the same. Regardless of whether I can fork out the cash for this, as much as I like the look, I dont know where I would put it! Probably too wide for the shelves I currently keep my sets on, unless it's possible to be divided up as @Brikkyy13 hoped for. 

If that were the case, it could make a great backdrop behind my minifig collection. 

Whatever the case, I need to get my hands on some of those figs. Such a great selection.

Hopefully the prices aren't too much, I confess I did spend a fair bit on that Cloud City Lando because I always wanted his precursor as a kid and he's my favourite character, but I couldn't justify that kind of price on other characters. 

This is it, as someone who is currently trying to mod a downscaled Death Star rather than just get rid of it wholesale, I can't justify a big tan box to myself and I don't need yet another Luke and Obi Wan. This is part of the problem of MBS sets, a lot of value on paper being sucked up by fairly readily available key characters. 

If I can just get Garindan and Ponda Baba, I can die happy. Can never have enough Bith though.

1 hour ago, Sneakguest said:

Now Im puzzled, wasn't the MSB label discountinued? 

Funny, I was just thinking of a certain cold-weather enthusiast who ripped me a new one after I questioned his assertion that the MBS label would never be used again... And yet, here we are.

23 minutes ago, ginja said:

I dont buy that, I think it doesn't look like a crystal but a micro fig. My guess is vader from when the troopers are looking for the droids.

If so he's going right into my AT AT.

"The shield will be down in moments, Lord Vader."