MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Just now, Kdapt-Preacher said:

All of Star Wars disagrees with you, LMAO. Every throwaway line and background character having a fully-developed three-novel backstory is one of the defining points of this franchise.

Touche! :laugh:

10 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

My comment wasn't really against you, but rather just the idea of taking new blood to do established character's work. And I also don't think every throwaway line needs a backstory (that's just me though).

Of course, there are a lot of TCW storylines that we'll never see fully, but maybe someday we'll get to some of them.

I'm gonna have to side with @Kdapt-Preacher on this one. Having an explanation or backstory for throwaway lines and background characters is kinda SW's thing

On a different note. I must admit I haven't really been keeping myself up to date when it comes to the D2C news for Star Wars. So are we getting a ME Cantina or an Imperial Shuttle? Or is it both?

34 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I must admit I haven't really been keeping myself up to date when it comes to the D2C news for Star Wars. So are we getting a ME Cantina or an Imperial Shuttle? Or is it both?

I think it's just the Cantina. The Shuttle rumor might have been false from the start.

10 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I think it's just the Cantina. The Shuttle rumor might have been false from the start.

It seems like the Shuttle thing was a lot less concrete than most other leaks (even instagram leakers were saying "the RUMOR is a Shuttle" as opposed to saying it's a shuttle) so I'm assuming that there was something that led people to believe it may have been a shuttle but ultimately it wasn't the case.

Unless, of course, the $350 set is a Ponda Baba 1:1 scale bust :laugh:

Edited by Kit Figsto

1 minute ago, Kit Figsto said:

Unless, of course, the $350 set is a Ponda Baba 1:1 scale bust :laugh:

I thought it was a helmet series set of Figrin Dan and the Modal Nodes. Give the people what they want! :laugh:

Cool to get a big cantina set if true, and the figs will be nice. Not sure I'll pick it up though.

19 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Well if true, unfortunate! But at least I can save some money. Have never been a fan of the UCS/MBS style playsets, only collect the ships. But to those who have been waiting, enjoy!

58 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I'm gonna have to side with @Kdapt-Preacher on this one. Having an explanation or backstory for throwaway lines and background characters is kinda SW's thing

On a different note. I must admit I haven't really been keeping myself up to date when it comes to the D2C news for Star Wars. So are we getting a ME Cantina or an Imperial Shuttle? Or is it both?

Yeah, up to the point where we have three films, a 7-season animated series, and countless books and comics about a few lines from A New Hope.

It looks like the D2C is the cantina this year, which I guess means the shuttle rumors were false.

3 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

I thought it was a helmet series set of Figrin Dan and the Modal Nodes. Give the people what they want! :laugh:

Cool to get a big cantina set if true, and the figs will be nice. Not sure I'll pick it up though.

No, it's clearly a UCS luke's landspeeder with a 14-piece cantina side build! :laugh:

I'm of a similar opinion on the cantina set. It'll be a great set, but it's just not something I'm sure I'd buy.

Just now, Mandalorianknight said:

Yeah, up to the point where we have three films, a 7-season animated series, and countless books and comics about a few lines from A New Hope.

That's a bit too much of a stretch. "Good relations with the Wookies, I have" is far less worthy of screentime than "You fought in the Clone Wars?"

I meant more along the lines of the Death Star's "weakness", which was never that much of a plothole to begin with, becoming the focus of a whole movie. Or the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs (a unit of distance) which was clearly just a lie on Han's part (it's even in the script), but that didn't stop everyone from trying to make it work literally.

Backstories are cool, but sometimes it can get ridiculous (no matter how good Rogue One was :laugh:)

1 minute ago, ARC2149Nova said:

"Good relations with the Wookies, I have" is far less worthy of screentime than "You fought in the Clone Wars?"

Which is why it would only get 4 22 minute episodes instead of a full trilogy and an entire animated tv series :tongue:

28 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Which is why it would only get 4 22 minute episodes instead of a full trilogy and an entire animated tv series :tongue:

You win. :laugh:

2 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

All of Star Wars disagrees with you, LMAO. Every throwaway line and background character having a fully-developed three-novel backstory is one of the defining points of this franchise.

Yes well one can argue if it was necessary from the beginning, but since that is now custom or tradition / it's too late to reverse, now it's a part of the universe

I really want to get my hand on the instructions for the AAT. There are a lot of small changes I want to make and it would be so much easier to plan if I knew what some of the specific internals look like.

I would MUCH rather get a UCS Imperial Shuttle than an MBS Cantina. The Cantina has been done so many times, and it’s not really that interesting aside from the possible figures. A shuttle would be way better. The most recent UCS version is outdated and I never got it so I would love a new one. A Cantina might actually be a pass for me

Even if we haven't seen it yet, but I was kind of hoping once a cantina MSB comes, that it would be substantially large, so 350 USD would probably not lead to more than 10-12 figures, not 20. 

14 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

Even if we haven't seen it yet, but I was kind of hoping once a cantina MSB comes, that it would be substantially large, so 350 USD would probably not lead to more than 10-12 figures, not 20. 

It's 1.4x the cost of assault on hoth (15 minifigures), and the same price as betrayal at cloud city (21 minifigures).

I'd guess it will also have around 21 figures.

Just now, Mandalorianknight said:

It's 1.4x the cost of assault on hoth (15 minifigures), and the same price as betrayal at cloud city (21 minifigures).

I'd guess it will also have around 21 figures.

And there's enough background aliens/interesting designs to make the cast.

Plus a Bith or five :grin:

If we get a cantina MBS set, it dang well better have the entire band!

I would much rather have a Jabba-related set if we’re getting Tattoine. The cantina is meh. Rancor, barge, etc. are way more interesting!

But that’s wishlisting, so I’ll bookend this by saying I will only spend on a big cantina set if I can get it for a substantial discount like I did with Betrayal at Cloud City.

MBS Cantina? Interesting, but how many play features could they cram into such a big set? It's an iconic location, but not one that lends itself to as much action as the Ewok Village, Echo Base or Cloud City. 

I agree about a Jabba-related UCS/MBS. I'd love a minifigure scale Sail Barge.

15 minutes ago, Terrasher said:

MBS Cantina? Interesting, but how many play features could they cram into such a big set? It's an iconic location, but not one that lends itself to as much action as the Ewok Village, Echo Base or Cloud City. 

I agree about a Jabba-related UCS/MBS. I'd love a minifigure scale Sail Barge.

There's not too many play features they can do with the Cantina itself but there's always the possibility it could include additional side builds like another Ubrikkian 9000 Pod, brick built Dewback/Bantha/Ronto or worse case scenario - another Luke's Landspeeder! :tongue:

2 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

And there's enough background aliens/interesting designs to make the cast.

Plus a Bith or five :grin:

I could see them including at least 3 bith. Going off of the 21 spots:

Leaked by @Renown: Ponda Baba and Dr Evazan

not confirmed but would of course be in the set: Luke, Ben, Han, Chewie, Wuher, Greedo.

There'll probably be a few band members, a sandtrooper or two, and lots of the iconic alien characters like snaggletooth, hammerhead, etc. Maybe threepio and artoo.

Hopefully they won't waste bricks on a landspeeder in a Cantina MBS, given they just released a new one.

Would prefer some side builds of Moss Eisley architecture.

Looking forward to some of the patrons especially a Hammerhead, Ponda Baba and Dr Ezazan. Hopefully they'll also include the Imperial spy dude.

The one thing that concerns me here is how many new molds they'd need to do a good job representing most of the cantina denizens. There are more than enough random humans in there to fill out the set, but most of the iconic aliens would need new heads at least. Many of them could be represented by standard minifig heads, but LEGO's tendency recently has been to go with custom pieces for most aliens. We've got Bith and Ithorian heads already, and they've made werewolf heads that would work well enough for the Shistavanen, but Ponda Baba probably needs a new mold, and so would the Givin, Gotals, Arcona, Devaronian, Chadra-Fan, Talz, Siniteen, and maybe Abyssinian and Duros (although they used a regular head for Cad Bane), and that isn't even all the ones I'd consider notable, so it seems unlikely that we'd get all the prominently-featured aliens; there aren't going to be that many new pieces in one set. Especially since, as TeufelHund suggests, this would also be a likely place to include Garindan or some of the other notable Mos Eisley folks who haven't shown up before. This thread has pointed out several times that Star Wars has gotten far fewer new molds in 2020 than we have in previous years, so the most optimistic view would be that this set will make up that deficit, but I'm not sure I'm that optimistic.

We're probably only getting one new mold, and we already know what character that is. They have existing molds for the band, hammerhead, and greedo. Plus, they can repurpose existing parts to make aliens like the wolf man head pieces or the bat head pieces and the like. I'm hoping we get another dew back. Probably some exclusive droids or astromechs. 

10 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

[Insert "Why not both?" meme here]

Seriously, though, it's possible it'll include the Episode IV Imperial Landing Craft/Shuttle.

That'd explain the Imperial Shuttle rumor, add play-ability, and be a ship that could be used in the suggested hangar area of the diorama - notably leaving the Falcon out, encouraging you to buy your own UCS or play-scale version. After all, if the Kenobi Hut and Land Speeder have anything to say, Lego is actually coordinating their releases and expecting/hoping you'll buy additional sets to fill out the scene/planet.

Edited by Pedilego