Robert8

LEGO Minions 2020

I hope this means we'll see more lego sets based on Illumination movies because of the Mario movie in 2022 (as J2G pointed out in his video)

They must do them molded like Mega did.  Minifigure parts versions would look awful. Gru would be OK as a minifig, but needs a molded head.

Plus, I hope they do a buildable model like the porg from SW.

1 hour ago, Blondie-Wan said:

2 hours ago, TheL390Man said:

I am a little surprised though, considering that Mega Bloks previously held the license...

There are quite a few licenses that both LEGO and MB have done, sometimes with MB doing them first - Pirates of the Caribbean, SpongeBob SquarePants, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Cars, Marvel / Spider-Man, and perhaps others I’m overlooking. If we expand it beyond just a Mega Bloks to all competing makers of construction toys, there are even more licenses that LEGO has done for which they’re not the only company that has. Heck, even LEGO mainstay Star Wars has had construction toys from other companies before (though more of the nuts-and-bolts steel girder Meccano / Erector style than interlocking plastic bricks). If it were a requirement for a LEGO license that no competing toymaker had previously held the construction toy license for that property, there’d be a lot fewer LEGO licenses.

Ah, I was not aware of all of these. Most of them don’t interest me and I didn’t get back into LEGO until fairly recently, so I don’t know too much about them.

It is interesting to see, though, how many companies have made deals with mega bloks and then changed to TLG. I wonder what made them choose megabloks first?

Tbh, I rather see some sets based on the new Disney "Onward" especially the Garden Gnomes, as they are definately based off Rien Poorvliet "Gnomes" book and "David de Kabouter" year 1 cartoon.

Dutch mythology (gnomes, kabouters, elves, dwarves) actually has some nice historic folklore.

Minions doesn't interest me much.

Edited by TeriXeri

Dude...

I never thought people hated the Minions this much

I dont like them at all, but I thought it was only me. I dont feel alone anymore  :cry2:

I honestly think these will be like Angry Birds 2.0. A couple of nice pieces here and there but overall nothing of interest

Not all that surprising, given that the franchise was supposed to be featured in Dimensions year 3 and that Illumination and Dreamworks both belong to Universal :purrr: I don't hate the Minions, but don't like them either, so this won't be of much interest to me. I kinda hope they don't release any Brickheadz or ar CMF series for this, because then I would have to buy those, me being a completionist and everything... :snicker:

Out of all the licenses to pick up, this is a disappointing one. I like Despicable Me 1 & 2, but the franchise has become too much for me at this point. 

7 hours ago, Brick Cucumber said:

I think that they're gonna loose more PR for this than they did with the 16+ Stranger Things set. Not looking forward to it.

Er..when did they get bad PR for doing Stranger Things ..?

4 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Tbh, I rather see some sets based on the new Disney "Onward" especially the Garden Gnomes, as they are definately based off Rien Poorvliet "Gnomes" book and "David de Kabouter" year 1 cartoon.

Dutch mythology (gnomes, kabouters, elves, dwarves) actually has some nice historic folklore.

Minions doesn't interest me much.

I doubt Onward sets will happen, specially with Troll sets coming.

I am undecided on these. I am keen to add the figures to my displays, but would likely Bricklink those, unless they do something like Gru's house which I could then sandwich into a halloween display.

I think they will sell ok. Minions are still popular in most countries.

1 hour ago, Chiaroscuro said:

I doubt Onward sets will happen, specially with Troll sets coming.

I'm thinking that as well : Winter 2019/2020 has Disney Frozen 2 (November 2019) and Trolls/Onward releasing in the same month (march 2020)  , Minions movie is planned for Summer 2020 (late June/July)

So that's winter/spring/summer covered pretty much.

Edited by TeriXeri

2020: the risky year for LEGO.

Repetitive, but it just seems they are trying to get the most out of the dreamworks/illumination license so this theme makes sense. And as someone pointed out earlier, illumination will be in charge of the new Shrek reboot supposedly coming out this year (or at this point next year maybe) so Shrek must be a given, otherwise it wouldn't make sense.

Shrek > minions > trolls

"Is this an out of season april fools joke"

Like with Trolls, this is likely like be exactly like Angry Birds of only lasting for a year or a half, especially sense Minion isn't huge (and really annoying) like it was years ago...   Also I'm expecting that Shrek reboot to follow in line of the many other reboot that crash and burned.

5 hours ago, Ultron said:

Well, a bunch of people complained here, so I guess that counts. The rest of the world seemed to like it though.

It's great that every new license announcement is followed by people murmuring that Lego is debasing themselves again. Though I enjoy the irony that last month Stranger Things was too mature and this month Minions is too immature.

6 hours ago, Ultron said:

They didn't really, but it was a worry about the set releasing on such a mature show. But people didn't really get upset about it. Bur people are really upset about this.

People get upset with too much Star Wars. Others get upset with not enough. People get upset with no Castle, but they also get upset when LEGO do Castle and it isn't what they want. People get upset with the lack of LEGO Space, btuagain LEGO never do the Space people want, so there are complaints. People get upset that there are too many minifigures in Creator sets, but others get upset that there are not enough. People get upset.

I don't think Minions is too immature at all. I recall quite a few people building Minion sculptures like the Porg at the time of Despicable Me and with these new sets, aimed at somewhere between 4-10 year olds, they are going to hit the right age group for core sales. I'd like to see a few sets, plus a CMF line to flesh out the characters but I am guessing it will just be sets.

I also imagine that we will see them on sale at a discount, and they will sit on shelves towards the end. And not because they aren't popular, but because of over-production. The movie will come, sets will be bought, the movie will go and sets will remain - over production more than underselling.

I don't know why people think the complaint is that Minions is too immature to be a Lego theme. I don't care about that, Immature sets can be great. I care that Minions is a derivative immature film with no value or story, just fart jokes. It's a terrible film and really should be avoided by kids. Arguably it's negative on them. I don't care that it's too immature for Lego, I care that it's a terrible property and I thought Lego had strict standards better than that.

I think it would be cool if they did waves that covered many movies from one company. Instead of stretching one movie out to several sets, an ‘illumination’ theme could have a minions set, trolls set, and whatever else they have. They could also do the same for dreamworks; with like a Shrek swamp set, a set with Toothless and the kid from Dragons. Could be really cool.

16 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

I think it would be cool if they did waves that covered many movies from one company. Instead of stretching one movie out to several sets, an ‘illumination’ theme could have a minions set, trolls set, and whatever else they have. They could also do the same for dreamworks; with like a Shrek swamp set, a set with Toothless and the kid from Dragons. Could be really cool.

I’d be happy with that if they used it for Pixar and Lucasfilm, say (so that we’d get more of Pixar’s movies represented, each year’s Star Wars assortment might also include an Indiana Jones set or even a Willow set, etc.). But I’m not sure how it would work in practice. Devotees like ourselves might be interested in an entire production company’s output, but I’m not sure the average person even knows or cares what particular studios are associated with what properties.

12 hours ago, Brick Cucumber said:

I don't know why people think the complaint is that Minions is too immature to be a Lego theme. I don't care about that, Immature sets can be great. I care that Minions is a derivative immature film with no value or story, just fart jokes. It's a terrible film and really should be avoided by kids. Arguably it's negative on them. I don't care that it's too immature for Lego, I care that it's a terrible property and I thought Lego had strict standards better than that.

You and I must have seen different movies. I’ve seen Minions a couple of times with my five year old and I didn’t see a stream of fart jokes. Sure there’s the fart battle in one of the short movies but that isn’t the main movie. It’s a sad day if a five year old isn’t allowed to laugh at a fart joke. It was never meant to be highbrow. As for value, keeping kids engaged has value. And story, well it’s about three of them heading off to find a new villain to control them. Spoiler alert: they find one. I’m not personally their biggest fan, but if they entertain my kids with jokes about bananas while being understandable in multiple languages, I’m good. If it means people buying Lego who hadn’t before, even better. If it leads to more varied pieces, better still. If it gets more business partnerships for Lego, alright, we’re cooking on gas. No one has to buy it, but we do. 

14 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

I’d be happy with that if they used it for Pixar and Lucasfilm, say (so that we’d get more of Pixar’s movies represented, each year’s Star Wars assortment might also include an Indiana Jones set or even a Willow set, etc.). But I’m not sure how it would work in practice. Devotees like ourselves might be interested in an entire production company’s output, but I’m not sure the average person even knows or cares what particular studios are associated with what properties.

If they did a Willow set I would freak.  It's never going to happen though.  That was a really fun movie. Mad Martigan and General Kael would be epic.  But back on topic.   I don't mind they are doing Minions it is a toy for children after all.  It might give us some interesting parts like the Troll line.  It also might open up other franchises that would be good for us AFOL's like others have said like Shrek and How to train a Dragon.  

8 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

It’s a sad day if a five year old isn’t allowed to laugh at a fart joke.

It is a sad day if a 25, 35, 45, 55, 65 ... year old isn't allowed to laugh at a fart joke.

Wow. I didn't expect this to be a LEGO theme, but I am curious in how they are going to do the Minion characters, and Gru himself, with the nose. I personally would like to see his giant silver vehicle (blanking on the name) created into a set.

Apparently one of the characters leaked online 

Not sure if that's real..... something looks off