Lego David

Themes LEGO should discontinue

On 8/27/2019 at 4:43 PM, Vindicare said:

You do know the point of a public forum, yeah? I don’t even think your opinion is on Police is the issue, it’s your delivery.

Delivery? 

From my perspective, your comments read like you’re taking this, both the Police sets & people talking to you about them, as a personal insult. 

Well....when I'm outnumbered in an argument, my self esteem lowers and I end up getting annoyed with people who are triggered by my thoughts on the extra police themes.  

Edited by pooda

1 hour ago, pooda said:

Delivery? 

Well....when I'm outnumbered in an argument, my self esteem lowers and I end up getting annoyed with people who are triggered by my thoughts on the extra police themes.  

In terms of delivery, take a look at the comment I quoted. That reads to me like you’re personally insulted that people don’t see things your way. In one thread recently, someone disagreed with you on something, & you accused them of crushing your hopes & dreams. It’s just a lot. 

I largely agree with your opinions on City. I’d love to see more variety in the businesses & vehicles we get. It was the only reason I bought that van & trailer set a few years back, because we’ve rarely, of ever, seen a van. I have more than enough trailers... likewise, I’d love more businesses than pizza places & bike shops, and banks, but they are few & far between. 

Understanding why LEGO sells what they do so frequently may help your views. Now, one could argue that the company doesn’t know if a set/theme based around X wouldn’t sell just as well as police & fire, but as much research as TLG does, I think it’s fair to say they know better. On the other hand, as well received as 8404 was, among AFOLs at least, it’s a bit surprising we haven’t seen something similar to it since. 

1 hour ago, pooda said:

Well....when I'm outnumbered in an argument, my self esteem lowers and I end up getting annoyed with people who are triggered by my thoughts ...

And I believe this is the thing which needs to be somehow managed by yourself in this forum. I have gone (and I am still going) through that learning curve as well, believe me.

This forum is a world-wide and open place to voice your opinions, share your ideas, MOCs, dislikes, likes, thoughts ...

Chances are that someone will feel "outnumbered" here immediately, when the topic is getting onto the radar screen of LEGO hardliners or purists (example: Any discussion of LEGO clones goes BOOOOM for sure. Well when you claim, cloning is not that ba ... BOOOOM - so if you want to do that, phrase everything very, very carefully - then it'll work. In the beginning. I bet that someone will trigger something that triggers another thing and BOOOM:wink:), is similar/parallel/comparable to topics that have already been discussed in depth with some BOOOM potential and so on. (I am a chemist and I like to blow up H2/O2 filled ballons for sure - they also have some impressive BOOOOM potential:laugh:)

Plus some people here are closer to TLG, others really do have a lot of experience, way more than you and me and so on. One example: I do (more or less) manage my parts/set inventory on BrickSet. The value of my collection is apparently about 16k$ and they counted about 106k pieces that I own - as if I care - believe me, I don't. But these number come along with managing the inventory. There are  about 213000 members (as of today) and I am somewhere ranked to be 14400th. It just means that there are so many more folks out there, that own way more parts/pieces have certainly more experience, seen so many things I have not, plus: 213000 members is a coverage of almost zero. There are 7 billion people in the world. Way more than 200k do LEGO.

But you know what? I don't feel outnumbered. I am proud of what I have - it was always like that. Back in the days (45 years ago that is) I had a friend who had the full collection of 12V trains plus a ton of other bricks. I had a small bucket - but was so proud of it. I don't relate my self-esteem to any number, opinion, or phrasing of others. I am trying to relate my self-esteem that to what I do and what makes other people happy when I do something.

So many words ...

You are never "outnumbered". You have your own opinion and thoughts. You voice them here. Be prepared: Folks may not agree. Just don't bite in response. Be proud when you "trigger". Read what others write - learn if you wish - think about them as people with another opinion - or just ignore them when that does not work for you. But don't get annoyed. Because in that case you shouldn't have posted. That is the core of the matter: When you post, take the flak - as you would be proud, when someone replies: @pooda rocks!

Damn, I sound like a preacher. Merde (this is so cool: The EB Forum AI never beeps-out that one - it is not trained in French, don't tell @Philo though, he'll re-program that thing - using a NXT or EV3 or other LEGO intelligence:tongue:). But you know what I mean.

All the best,
Thorsten   

Look at it this way:
Even the greatest minds in human history have disagreed with each other.

From philosophers, to mathematicians, to musicians, to physicists.

And that's okay.

15 hours ago, Toastie said:

I was more after this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll

Try this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_doll

Thomas Dam made woodcutting dolls at the same time Kirk Christiansen made wooden toys, and both inventors shifted to plastic in the 50ties or 60ties.

So the history of the two Danish toys are very similar, until the Dam family sold the rights to the Gjøl Troll.

18 hours ago, KotZ said:

I'm meaning Trolls are based on a Danish brand. But otherwise they've been Americanized. The original script for the Trolls Movie was way better than the musical we got.

I know. And Snow White is German, but was Disneyfied.

10 minutes ago, MAB said:

And Snow White is German, but was Disneyfied

Yeap - and "The three of the gas station" is German, was never x-fied and will never:laugh:

Best
Thorsten

The DreamWorks Trolls has nothing to do with the original toys. So LEGO making Trolls sets based on the DreamWorks movie isn't really an homage to the Danish Creator. 

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

The DreamWorks Trolls has nothing to do with the original toys. So LEGO making Trolls sets based on the DreamWorks movie isn't really an homage to the Danish Creator. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt01679335/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_wr#writers/

If it has nothing to do with it, then why does Thomas Dam have a writing credit (being based on his books) in the movie?

4 hours ago, Lego David said:

While certainly not an homage to another Danish toymaker, it is somewhat funny/interesting that a Danish Toy is being turned into another Danish toy.

On 11/14/2019 at 3:27 AM, ArneNielsen said:

Try this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_doll

Thomas Dam made woodcutting dolls at the same time Kirk Christiansen made wooden toys, and both inventors shifted to plastic in the 50ties or 60ties.

So the history of the two Danish toys are very similar, until the Dam family sold the rights to the Gjøl Troll.

So we can call them Dam Troll Dolls :laugh: I wonder how people feel if this was more common knowledge. Just think we can say "Get rid of those Dam Troll Dolls!" And we would technically be right. :head_back: 

I kinda wish that Ninjago makes way for something new. A bit tired of it after so many years. I wanted to say the same about Star Wars, but it would have been silly :)

On November 24, 2019 at 12:50 AM, samurai-turtle said:

So we can call them Dam Troll Dolls :laugh: I wonder how people feel if this was more common knowledge. Just think we can say "Get rid of those Dam Troll Dolls!" And we would technically be right. :head_back: 

I'm tempted to make that my signature now :head_back:. If you've seen MandR Productions video on the Trolls theme, he pretty much sums up everyone's reactions in a nutshell. 

Just now, danth said:

Hmm maybe they should bring back Town. :classic:

I don't think they can afford to do that right now. Town is a subtheme under the City theme for right now. 

Just now, gryffindorbrickkid said:

i don't think they should have discontinued juniors however though.

4+ is the exact same thing as Juniors. While they may have changed the name, the theme isn't discontinued.

21 minutes ago, Lego David said:

4+ is the exact same thing as Juniors. While they may have changed the name, the theme isn't discontinued.

I was about to check. I figured it was the same thing. 

5 hours ago, pooda said:

@Vindicare @Toastie @pombe Its the outdoorsy stuff under City. I just don't think it fits given the name City and all. It is called City. Not Countryside.

City seems to be a catch all. I wouldn’t consider farming to be under a City banner, but it is. It encompasses more than just city life, it also involves that guy who is waiting for the bus, to get to his job of volcanic exploration & study(or any other “action” sub theme released under the City banner). That’s how I take the theme to be anyways. 

6 hours ago, pooda said:

@Vindicare @Toastie @pombe Its the outdoorsy stuff under City. I just don't think it fits given the name City and all. It is called City. Not Countryside.

Back in 1997 Divers theme was called Divers and had 7 sets, back then it was a new thing, outside of the Town, outside of the more "fantasy" based Aquazone theme. 

2015 had a Underwater Exploration subtheme for City, under the City name, pretty much a modern version of Divers.

Since then we got some more sets with Divers in City (2019 Diving Yacht for example) , it all being under City just is convenient so they don't have to make a whole theme for it all over again, just for 1 set in a theme that isn't as frequent.

Safari Jeep is another example of a set they can make under the City banner, without needing an entire Africa/Savannah/Safari theme around it.

"City" is just a tag now to collect sets under.

Trains used to be it's own theme as it had a lot of sets, eventually the number of sets got less and now it's all under City.

Now, of course there's also City-subject sets within Creator 3-in-1 but what sets those apart is the 3-in-1 functionality.

Edited by TeriXeri

44 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

I wouldn’t consider farming to be under a City banner, but it is.

I don't think we'll be seeing Farm again. I keep in touch with people at Lego. My insider says the farm theme didn't do well. TLG isn't a trillion dollar company. They can't afford to make things that won't sale. 

EDIT: Actually, let me rephrase that. They can't afford to make subthemes that children won't be interested in. Most of the subthemes that won't sell are sent to either the Town subtheme or the vehicles from that theme that the child is likely to attracted to are sent to Great Vehicles. So......I think as far as action based in the city goes....Town is as close as we're going to get if we want something for our towns unless your town is either in need of a lot of emergency services, is a railway or some type of exploration site. 

6 minutes ago, pooda said:

I don't think we'll be seeing Farm again. I keep in touch with people at Lego. My insider says the farm theme didn't do well. TLG isn't a trillion dollar company. They can't afford to make things that won't sale. 

Closest to a Farm theme we got this year obviously was the Harvester, and recently I saw this set is being sold again by LEGO themselves (maybe for a limited time due the time of the year?)

40261: Thanksgiving Harvest (2017)

40261-1.jpg?201709260948

Edited by TeriXeri

Honestly, I give up. 2006 to 2009 was the golden age of City. No more golden ages are coming. 

Our only hope of ever seeing another Harbor or farm is under the town theme. They did that with the cargo terminal back in 2017. Apparently, both the cargo terminal was going to initially be part of a cargo theme. But only the terminal appealed to the test subjects. Same with the bus station.