Lego David

Themes LEGO should discontinue

Is there any current theme that you would like to see discontinued? For me personally, I would discontinue Minecraft. It had it's run, the game itself is no longer very popular, and the sets have started to get repetitive. But that it's just my opinion. What theme do you think LEGO should discontinue?

Minecraft still getting new sets makes sense since 1.13 was a pretty big update with dolphins, turtles, shipwrecks and underwater content so the Pirate Ship set has it's place for 2019.

They can still make a D2C Mansion or updated Village set as 1.14 focuses on illagers and pillagers (hostile npc's), maybe a pillage beast too, and an update to the villagers themselves.

There also could be a smaller set with the new Pandas and Bamboo.

I think the new line of Minecraft Big-Figs is a lot more accurate then the Brickheadz as well, and they can easily add more sets on that scale for most of the creatures, monsters.

I don't collect the theme, but there's no reason to stop sets as long as they have the license and sell.

As far as theme that's the least interesting to me, it's gotta be Brickheadz, especially if they take the place for the seasonal vignettes.

Go-Brick-Me was a cool concept but already seems discontinued in less then a year.

Edited by TeriXeri

40 minutes ago, Lego David said:

For me personally, I would discontinue Minecraft. It had it's run, the game itself is no longer very popular, and the sets have started to get repetitive.

If Lego's got something good going with a licensed theme in terms of sales, they shouldn't ax it due to mere exhaustion of the source material. Rather, before they do fully exhaust it, they should slow down that theme's annual output of sets as so to stretch out what the property has left to offer, thereby giving a little more wiggle-room for new product lines to set up shop. As to answer your question though, I'd love nothing more than to see Star Wars close up shop, but we all know that's just not going to happen. 

Edited by Digger of Bricks

I really do agree that the Minecraft sets have really done all they needed to do creatively, but LEGO probably shouldn't discontinue sets because it's still one of the most popular lines. And what's good for the company is good for the fans lol, I'd rather they keep minecraft and keep the company in the clear than drop it and risk making stupid decisions to try to make up the losses (again).

For me it's probably Speed Champions. It's been going on a while and it's just different cars. It's worse than brickheads about getting a ton of licenses but doesn't have any of the creative building techniques or interesting new parts brickheads do.

Also, while i don't want them to drop it entirely, I wish they would do something different with technic than just making cars and construction stuff. You have so many potions for cool working models with technic parts and power functions (eg everything jk brickworks does or the new lego forma) and all they make is vehicles! And modern day vehicles at that, not even futuristic things it's such a waste of opportunity!

1 minute ago, Nick Wolfe said:

For me it's probably Speed Champions. It's been going on a while and it's just different cars. It's worse than brickheads about getting a ton of licenses but doesn't have any of the creative building techniques or interesting new parts brickheads do.

Um, have you ever checked a review for any Speed Champions set before? They get tons of great new parts:

6 minutes ago, Nick Wolfe said:

Also, while i don't want them to drop it entirely, I wish they would do something different with technic than just making cars and construction stuff. You have so many potions for cool working models with technic parts and power functions (eg everything jk brickworks does or the new lego forma) and all they make is vehicles! And modern day vehicles at that, not even futuristic things it's such a waste of opportunity!

I can definitely agree with you on that sentiment, as Technic is one of a few themes I think they're severely underutilizing! Understandably, many of theme's die-hard fans would probably be hesitant to see more fantastical concepts incorporated into its annual lineup, eating up slots for more realistic sets they'd rather see; but, for instance, I'd personally love to see functioning Mecha or Steampunk construction sets come to the theme! :sweet:

15 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

As to answer your question though, I'd love nothing more than to see Star Wars close up shop, but we all know that's just not going to happen. 

Finally, something who agrees with me in that point. Star Wars has been going on for 20 years now. Maybe they could just cancel the line as soon as Star Wars Ep. IX ends, but we all know that is never going to happen. In those 20 years, the sets have improved, but most of the new sets seem like just remakes of sets that were already made with just some slight changes. Some may argue that all those remakes help for people who have mist on the privious version of the set, but for me personally I am just tired of them. Last year they put out the UCS Millenum Falcon and they made the Solo version only like 5 mouths later. Same as you, I would love this to be discontinued even more than Minecraft, but we all know that this is never going to happen.

22 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Minecraft still getting new sets makes sense since 1.13 was a pretty big update with dolphins, turtles, shipwrecks and underwater content so the Pirate Ship set makes a lot of sense here.

They can still make a D2C Mansion or updated Village set as 1.14 focuses on illagers and pillagers (hostile npc's), maybe a pillage beast too, and an update to the villagers themselves.

Even a smaller set with the new Pandas and Bamboo makes sense.

I think the new line of Minecraft Big-Figs is a lot more accurate then the Brickheadz as well, and they can easily add more sets on that scale for most of the creatures, monsters.

I don't collect the theme, but there's no reason to stop sets as long as they have the license and sell.

Most of the Minecraft sets were based on older versions of the game instead of the updates. Instead of LEGO updating the sets with new minifigures as soon as the game does so, they just keep the sets looking like they are based off the old 1.8 version. If they won't completly discontinue the line, at least update the sets in the same way the game is updated.

25 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

As far as theme that's the least interesting to me, it's gotta be Brickheadz, especially if they take the place for the seasonal vignettes.

Go-Brick-Me was a cool concept but already seems discontinued in less then a year.

EXACTLY. BrickHeadz has done nothing but be a licensed themes generator. Last year they put out like 30 BrickHeadz, which is a little to much if you think about it. The go-brick-me was intersting, but other than that, the line is kinda bad and didn't even sell very well. Also, why did all of them had to be licensed? The only original BrickHeadz we got were only the seasonal ones and the Ninjago Movie ones. Other than that, just to many licenses. Licenses that people didn't even care for. Licenses that have been discontinued, back brought back just for this. Just... WHY?

19 minutes ago, Nick Wolfe said:

I can also agree on that. Teachnic sets should be a little more creative than just be LEGO versions of real life vehicles. (not that this is a bad thing, but a little more creativitiy in this theme would not harm it)

Just now, Lego David said:

Finally, something who agrees with me in that point.

Oh believe me, there are others... :wink:

Just now, Lego David said:

Star Wars has been going on for 20 years now. Maybe they could just cancel the line as soon as Star Wars Ep. IX ends, but we all know that is never going to happen. In those 20 years, the sets have improved, but most of the new sets seem like just remakes of sets that were already made with just some slight changes. Some may argue that all those remakes help for people who have mist on the privious version of the set, but for me personally I am just tired of them. Last year they put out the UCS Millenum Falcon and they made the Solo version only like 5 mouths later. Same as you, I would love this to be discontinued even more than Minecraft, but we all know that this is never going to happen

The best we could hope for, like I'd suggested, is to see Star Wars slow down and pace their annual output of sets after Ep. IX to make room for other space-set licenses and/or in-house Space themes. The problem is though, for as long as Star Wars sticks around, there'll never be a chance for certain concepts to be explored for Lego's in-house Space themes, such as an original Space Opera theme of their own. :look:

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

Most of the Minecraft sets were based on older versions of the game instead of the updates. Instead of LEGO updating the sets with new minifigures as soon as the game does so, they just keep the sets looking like they are based off the old 1.8 version. If they won't completly discontinue the line, at least update the sets in the same way the game is updated.

Steve and Alex certainly are included in almost all sets, but they are the main characters for the basegame even now in 1.13/1.14. But they remain the "default" skins.

Free and Paid Skins have been added to the Bedrock versions interface, and changing your skin on Java could be done for a lot longer.

EhfWu1T.jpg

I think LEGO could have made more seperate Skin Packs (they had 2 in 2016) or PvP sets (Like 2018 Skull Arena), but skins has been an endless concept on Java as you can change skin whatever you want.

I don't think putting "rare" minifigs in the biggest (€100+) set is always a good thing. Especially in an open-ended theme with player skins like Minecraft.

But I can understand the repeat of Steve/Alex in the smaller sets has been a long standing repeating "issue" with people who got or reviewed many of the sets.

For 2018 there were a few sets focusing on content later then 1.8, like the Skeleton Trap, and Beetroot (1.9), Igloo, Polar Bear, Stray (1.10) but that's still 2+ years since the actual update.

2019 has a new End-Dragon set but most of the 1.9 End content isn't made in LEGO sets yet.

2019 also jumps forward in time with a 1.13 set with the turtle, turtle eggs and dolphin, also has a "pirate" skin figure, and 1.12 Parrot. (don't know if we'll see more of such "skins" in future sets.)

What's missing :

• End City, End Ship, Elytra, Chorus Fruit, Shulker : (1.9)
  • Husk (1.10)
  • Illager, Vindicator, Evoker, Vex, Llama, Mansion, Shulker Box, Totem of Undying (1.11)
  • Glazed Terracotta (printed tiles/bricks), (1.12)
  • Phantom, Turtle Shell Helm, Conduit, Coral Reef/Kelp/Seagrass, Trident, Drowned, Underwater Ruins, Icebergs (1.13)
  • Generally more Biome sets with different color schemes, like (Mega)Taiga, Mesa, Savannah, Extreme Hills.

I don't collect the sets, but if I were, and a constant follower of the game, there's certainly been a couple year gap on content that didn't make it in LEGO form.

Anyway, probably turned this way off topic into a Minecraft opinion thread, but there's a lot missing still that could be added ,even not counting the upcoming 1.14 :shrug_confused:

Edited by TeriXeri

39 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Also, why did all of them had to be licensed? The only original BrickHeadz we got were only the seasonal ones and the Ninjago Movie ones. Other than that, just to many licenses. Licenses that people didn't even care for. Licenses that have been discontinued, back brought back just for this. Just... WHY?

Well, BrickHeadz is aimed towards a market that revels in pop culture characters and properties, namely those that would buy Funko's products and other static collectables based upon preexisting source material. 

46 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Teachnic sets should be a little more creative than just be LEGO versions of real life vehicles. (not that this is a bad thing, but a little more creativitiy in this theme would not harm it)

That'd certainly make me much more interested in future offerings of theirs if I could anticipate such! :excited:

1 hour ago, Nick Wolfe said:

I really do agree that the Minecraft sets have really done all they needed to do creatively, but LEGO probably shouldn't discontinue sets because it's still one of the most popular lines.

Clearly depends on where you live. Once again here in Germany this is one of the series people simply don't seem to care for. Average toy shops don't even have it (including their online stores) or if at all only a few select sets. I tend to agree with the OP that it probably had its run and on a personal level I think it's the failed promise of what people often touted as a virtual form of LEGO translated back to the real world due to the impossibility to really capture the massive worlds in sets anyone can afford.

On the contrary! Speed Champions have always been among the first to include new parts like the 45 degree angled slope/ wedge plus they still manage to surprise with original building techniques every now and then. Sure, it can be repetitive, but at the end of the day so are most specialized collectible themes. There's only so many ways to do things. That aside, what you propose would be like asking Hot Wheels, Matchbox, Siku and all those companies to stop making car models. In so many words - it would be utterly foolish and therefore is likely an absolute non-starter for LEGO. These things simply sell - to AFOLs, to car collectors, to kids, to occasional builders looking for a simple and cost-efficient set.

Could be seen either way. My problem with Technic is that LEGO would need to invest in some specific new parts and better integration with the conventional brick-based products to make it attractive and ultimately I think that's why they have painted themselves in a corner, too. You can only do so much before things can get really ugly - in the literal sense how models can look with a limited number of panel types available and in terms of construction techniques eventually getting too complicated. That mess with Power Functions et al doesn't help, either. I'm just not sure if kinetic sculptures and such would do much to improve the situation, as the boost Technic could gain from that would be minor. To me it's really more that Technic perhaps shouldn't even be a separate product line, but more a generalized engineering foundation.

Mylenium

Tbh, I don’t think I’ve ever seen an answer to this question that wasn’t just fans being dismissive of themes outside their personal bubble, but that were generally still popular with others.

The reality is that all LEGO themes’ success hinges on how many people enjoy them, and it doesn’t matter in the slightest how many people don’t. I suspect many of us don’t have any interest in Duplo whatsoever, but we tolerate its existence as one of LEGO’s biggest and most successful themes because we recognize that it’s aimed at people besides us. For whatever reason, people have a harder time extending the same courtesy to other themes like Friends, BrickHeadz, Star Wars, Super Heroes, Minecraft, Ninjago, or what-have-you.

I think most of us know from experience that LEGO tends to retire less important/successful themes with very little hesitation, often to our frustration as AFOLs, since these often turn out to be themes that are popular in some segment of our communities like Castle, Pirates, Bionicle, The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc. And as soon as they end, we see a whole bunch of panicking that “LEGO has given up on X/Y/Z” and hoping desperately for LEGO to give these themes or categories of themes a second chance.

If LEGO did decide to retire, say, LEGO Star Wars or Super Heroes, I think it’d become immediately apparent just how much more massive an outcry there’d be than for the sorts of themes AFOLs presently wax nostalgic for.

There is still another 3 more years to go on the Star Wars license with LucasFilm before it expires. Since we don't know all the T&Cs of their licensing contract, dropping out early may not be an option (without financial penalties).

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Um, have you ever checked a review for any Speed Champions set before? They get tons of great new parts:

Man, even checking out those reviews I have to say that I've seen more interesting use of most of those parts in brickheadz sets. Like getting the detailing parts like inverted slopes and triangle tiles in new colors is cool but as a set they're very repetitive for a long running theme.

2 hours ago, Mylenium said:

Could be seen either way. My problem with Technic is that LEGO would need to invest in some specific new parts and better integration with the conventional brick-based products to make it attractive and ultimately I think that's why they have painted themselves in a corner, too. You can only do so much before things can get really ugly - in the literal sense how models can look with a limited number of panel types available and in terms of construction techniques eventually getting too complicated. That mess with Power Functions et al doesn't help, either. I'm just not sure if kinetic sculptures and such would do much to improve the situation, as the boost Technic could gain from that would be minor. To me it's really more that Technic perhaps shouldn't even be a separate product line, but more a generalized engineering foundation.

I really disagree that LEGO is at all limited with technic! Technic parts are easily integrated into system builds and even using existing parts people make really incredible and creative things with Technic which aren't ugly at all. Especially if LEGO tried making a more steampunk technic angle there are so many possibilities being passed over for the same old trucks and cranes. I do agree that Technic should be more integrated in sets, though, since the line is blurry where technic and system mix and many sets rely on technic parts for play features.

2 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Tbh, I don’t think I’ve ever seen an answer to this question that wasn’t just fans being dismissive of themes outside their personal bubble, but that were generally still popular with others.

I'm pretty sure this is all the thread is really meant to be. I mean, you're right, LEGO keeps the most successful lines and drops what isn't selling. I think all this conversation is trying to be is "what themes do you wish LEGO would drop to make way for the ones you do want?" Becasue, obviously Speed Champions, Brickheadz, Minecraft, especially Star Wars, are all selling very well and being kept around, which is why we're tired of them.

23 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

Since we don't know all the T&Cs of their licensing contract, dropping out early may not be an option (without financial penalties).

Of course they won't drop out prematurely, and I'm not expecting them to let the license pass on to another when the time for renewal arrives. :sceptic:

8 minutes ago, Nick Wolfe said:

Man, even checking out those reviews I have to say that I've seen more interesting use of most of those parts in brickheadz sets.

No doubt about that, as BrickHeadz's inventive part reusage is one of the best things about the theme! :classic:

Speed Champions trounces Brickheadz for parts usage and connection creativity and that's from someone who prefers brickheadz sets to speed champions. Brickheadz are the most monotonous sets to build inherent to the rigidity of the scale and design parameters, two handfuls of Brick 1X2X1 2/3 W/4 Knobs covered by plates. Repetitive and eventually boring but it should stick around as there's clearly more potential, decent price per piece and easily adapted to a wide audience.

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Oh believe me, there are others... :wink:

Thank God for that! I thought I was the only one!

2 hours ago, Nick Wolfe said:

I'm pretty sure this is all the thread is really meant to be. I mean, you're right, LEGO keeps the most successful lines and drops what isn't selling. I think all this conversation is trying to be is "what themes do you wish LEGO would drop to make way for the ones you do want?" Becasue, obviously Speed Champions, Brickheadz, Minecraft, especially Star Wars, are all selling very well and being kept around, which is why we're tired of them.

Yes! This is the exact reason I made this topic!

4 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I think most of us know from experience that LEGO tends to retire less important/successful themes with very little hesitation, often to our frustration as AFOLs,

I agree with this. Minecraft isn't a very important line to LEGO and is not a best-selling theme either, but I feel like LEGO just hesitates to discontinue it. It has been around for quite some times, and I don't think it should really stick for any longer. Same thing goes with some other themes.

I agree with this. Minecraft isn't a very important line to LEGO and is not a best-selling theme either, but I feel like LEGO just hesitates to discontinue it. It has been around for quite some times, and I don't think it should really stick for any longer. Same thing goes with some other themes.

*snort* I see what you did there. :poke:

16 hours ago, Nick Wolfe said:

15 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I can definitely agree with you on that sentiment, as Technic is one of a few themes I think they're severely underutilizing! Understandably, many of theme's die-hard fans would probably be hesitant to see more fantastical concepts incorporated into its annual lineup, eating up slots for more realistic sets they'd rather see; but, for instance, I'd personally love to see functioning Mecha or Steampunk construction sets come to the theme! :sweet:

I only admire from afar, so I don’t know how feasible if would be, but I wonder how Great Ball Contraption like sets would do. They could run a series of them that work independently or together. I have no idea if that could be possible, smalls sets, in terms of functioning...or fun to play with. Just thinking about spreading it out instead of one big set. 

I'm pretty Ok with Minecraft there. The world building aspect of how the sets could look when combined pretty much fascinate me which does make me consider grabbing them. And brickheadz coming out with seasonal stuffs does draws me, so I will give it a chance here. 

Well and since this thread is about which theme we wish to discontinue....I would nuke Wizarding World and Jurassic Park/World. Obviously because they're not my cup of tea and I know that's kinda being selfish or something. So now looking from a neutral view, we know that's not going to happen and so...:shrug_oh_well: oh well. On the other hand, Wizarding world has great minifigures so, I might spare that in my mind (though I'll still wish they didn't touch CMFs.). But my stance still stands for Jurassic Park/World.

I'm pretty cool with Star Wars being discontinued if it does result in original space themes. In the recent years, the only sets that draws me is Rebels. However, like Wizarding World, it does has dope Minifigures, so I'm also cool with it staying.

Just my two super-biased cents.

Edited by JJ Tong (zfogshooterz)

1 hour ago, JJ Tong (zfogshooterz) said:

Well and since this thread is about which theme we wish to discontinue....I would nuke Wizarding World and Jurassic Park/World.

I can agree with that. Harry Potter maybe could stay but definitely we don't need Jurassic World. The sets were only made because, you know, kids love dinosaurs. The problem is... They were based of a movie which didn't perform well critically. To me it's just annoying when LEGO just uses a bad/mediocre movie that comes out to reboot their licenced themes. I know kids love dinosaurs, but why do they have to be licenced? Why can't we have a theme like the 2012 Dino instead? Or Dinosaurs theme like in 2001. And I gotta say, the Dino Attack dinosaurs are the coolest ever. They can beat the Jurassic World ones every day. Also, the original 2015 Jurassic World sets were basically just remakes of the 2012 Dino sets just with the Jurassic World brand slapped in. Again, dinosaurs don't need to be based of a movie to be cool. I feel like the Dino Attack and Dino 2010 sets were far more superior to today's Jurassic World sets IMO...

As far as Harry Potter, I can agree with that too. I have no interest in it either, and that too was only brought back for the cause of a bad movie. I would too like to see it discontinued.

I know kids love dinosaurs, but why do they have to be licenced? Why can't we have a theme like the 2012 Dino instead? Or Dinosaurs theme like in 2001. And I gotta say, the Dino Attack dinosaurs are the coolest ever. They can beat the Jurassic World ones every day. Also, the original 2015 Jurassic World sets were basically just remakes of the 2012 Dino sets just with the Jurassic World brand slapped in. Again, dinosaurs don't need to be based of a movie to be cool. I feel like the Dino Attack and Dino 2010 sets were far more superior to today's Jurassic World sets IMO...

This is going a bit further off topic, but personally, I admire the designs of the dinosaur molds used in 2000's Dino Island subtheme for Adventurers. While the molds introduced for 2012's Dino are excellent designs outside of the context of the sets, they just don't seem to flesh well with the minifigure in terms of both scale and aesthetic within context of the sets they're in. 

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

I can agree with that. Harry Potter maybe could stay but definitely we don't need Jurassic World.  They were based of a movie which didn't perform well critically. To me it's just annoying when LEGO just uses a bad/mediocre movie that comes out to reboot their licenced themes. the .

, and that too was only brought back for the cause of a bad movie. I would too like to see it discontinued.

In all fairness, LEGO doesn't know that movie is going perform badly. They design their sets months in advance so that they can tie into the release of the movie. 

I felt the Harry Potter line gave us some good elements. The teenage legs for start, plus various useful roof elements. 

22 hours ago, Lego David said:

...I would discontinue Minecraft...

Minecraft is great!

19 hours ago, Aanchir said:

That's most of this forum, though.

My vote: Get rid of Nexo Knights, or Elves, or Ninjago!

34 minutes ago, x105Black said:

Nexo Knights,

I had been discontinued since last year.

34 minutes ago, x105Black said:

Elves,

I has been discontinued this year.

35 minutes ago, x105Black said:

or Ninjago!

Ok, sorry, but no way. Ninjago is the last remaining Original theme with a story, and the only current theme that I think is still worth buying. The TV show has improved seminficantly since 2011, and while I am not the biggest fan of the sets, I love the TV show. Just saw the first two episodes of season 10, and they are great. Can't wait to see what they will do next with the theme.

While I can sort of understand why some people are tired o it and would like it get rid of it, in the current era of LEGO in which we are now LEGO would never come up with a replacement theme that would be good enough to replace it. So, I'd rather have Ninjago than no Story theme.

20 hours ago, Aanchir said:

The reality is that all LEGO themes’ success hinges on how many people enjoy them, and it doesn’t matter in the slightest how many people don’t. I suspect many of us don’t have any interest in Duplo whatsoever, but we tolerate its existence as one of LEGO’s biggest and most successful themes because we recognize that it’s aimed at people besides us. For whatever reason, people have a harder time extending the same courtesy to other themes like Friends, BrickHeadz, Star Wars, Super Heroes, Minecraft, Ninjago, or what-have-you.

I think it's because the existence of those themes actively puts a blocker on classic themes like Castle, in-house Space and Pirates returning.

Sure, we've had the odd set or limited run, but it's never going to be back to a fully supported line whilst these other themes exist.

21 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I think most of us know from experience that LEGO tends to retire less important/successful themes with very little hesitation, often to our frustration as AFOLs, since these often turn out to be themes that are popular in some segment of our communities like Castle, Pirates, Bionicle, The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc. And as soon as they end, we see a whole bunch of panicking that “LEGO has given up on X/Y/Z” and hoping desperately for LEGO to give these themes or categories of themes a second chance.

I don't think people panic; it's more lamenting that themes they consider better are being shunned, which is perfectly reasonable.

Personally, I don't know why Lego refuse to just released D2C sets for classic themes like Castle. Even a kickstarter for a good set would see pre-orders like the Forma one did.

21 hours ago, Aanchir said:

If LEGO did decide to retire, say, LEGO Star Wars or Super Heroes, I think it’d become immediately apparent just how much more massive an outcry there’d be than for the sorts of themes AFOLs presently wax nostalgic for.

I agree on this, although like I mentioned above, we could have both.

Shelf space might be at a premium but I'm guessing that Lego has production space to provide what so many here, and on other fan sites, want.