Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

4 minutes ago, RetroInferno said:

I think it's been years since I have not logged in ( Star wars is kinda dead for me ), that theme revival smells very bad for my wallet. 

Best case scenario is that they just go full on Harry Potter with original trilogy sets and the occasional Ring of Power mandatory publicity sets enforced by Amazon.

I think medieval fans would also be happy with that theme for lack of anything else going on D2C content not taken into account.

This would be ideal for me. Say what you want about TROP but the orcs look amazing and I really liked the First Age soldier design as well (not that we would get 1st Age soldiers in LEGO form as they will probably focus on the main characters, but anyway).

StoneWars is relatively certain that the D2C set is not only real, but will be rather huge and in the +500,00 € price range.

Grond! :D Just kidding i think what everybody else does: Bag End, Minas Tirith or Barad Dur. I think the first two or more likely than the last one. I just hope it's not some bust/gigantic figure (Balrog) or something like that.

Whatever that D2C is, I am hoping for minifig compatible/scale model with plenty characters… Minas Tirith is proven as desired set no 1. It would be nice to finally get one along with a bunch of Gondorian knights :)

Well this is exciting! I have trouble seeing how Bag End could become 500$ though… the Ideas submission that got 10000 supporters a little while ago had under 3000 pieces, and I don’t see a D2C Bag End being much larger then that… I could be wrong though. This price point does make larger locations like Minas Tirith seem all the more likely, but we’ll see!

I seriously doubt there’s much concern in Lego vs GW marketing (short of legal licensing stuff on Lego’s end). I’d be *very* surprised to find out that any significant number of AFOL’s have ever even stepped into a GW store, they’re just completely different hobbies. (Or more accurately, nobody can afford to collect both)

Btw, now that the license is back here’s a good time to remind people this Ideas project exists. Not my build, I just really want it to get produced! https://ideas.lego.com/projects/c928192a-50a0-4c4c-90da-5224f92f1937

5 minutes ago, woodford86 said:

Btw, now that the license is back here’s a good time to remind people this Ideas project exists. Not my build, I just really want it to get produced! https://ideas.lego.com/projects/c928192a-50a0-4c4c-90da-5224f92f1937

Well doesn't that mean the exact opposite for projects like this? Meaning LOTR/Hobbit will be added to active licenses which are not allowed in Ideas?

9 hours ago, RetroInferno said:

I think it's been years since I have not logged in ( Star wars is kinda dead for me ), that theme revival smells very bad for my wallet. 

Best case scenario is that they just go full on Harry Potter with original trilogy sets and the occasional Ring of Power mandatory publicity sets enforced by Amazon.

I think medieval fans would also be happy with that theme for lack of anything else going on D2C content not taken into account.

First of all... Holy cow, you weren't kidding! I vaguely remembered your profile picture, checked your activity, and yeah, years without any posts!

Totally agree with everything you said though, I'd much prefer sets based off the LOTR movies than the rings of power show. Aside from LOTR just being one of those things that doesn't need spinoffs like that, I really don't like the show. I'd be ok with Hobbit sets, the films weren't the best but they came out when I was a kid so they've got a place in my heart. 

I really just want to see some nice D2Cs and a battle pack for the uruk-hai

1 hour ago, sahidko said:

Well doesn't that mean the exact opposite for projects like this? Meaning LOTR/Hobbit will be added to active licenses which are not allowed in Ideas?

Yup. This thing'll be killed in review if it gets there. A shame, it's quite nice.

Oh man, 500€ at least... *huh* Another castle set I'll probably have to pass. Just hope we'll get some information on a regular wave soon to keep the good spirit up.

On 9/30/2022 at 4:25 PM, RetroInferno said:

Fully agreed. The attention and care the Harry Potter sets have been getting is the right amount of attention a "new" theme should receive. The sets were and still are so well made that I actually considered buying them, even though I'm not that big on Harry Potter.

Whatever the D2C set is, just don't give us any micro-scale one. The choice of Brickheadz is already disappointing enough. We don't need to take another hit.

Micro-scale + Brickheadz = The best combination to screw up the reboot of the theme

5 hours ago, TakeaBrick said:

Whatever the D2C set is, just don't give us any micro-scale one. The choice of Brickheadz is already disappointing enough. We don't need to take another hit.

Micro-scale + Brickheadz = The best combination to screw up the reboot of the theme

Come on, don't even mention that. :D How they handled LOTR side of the theme last time was bad enough, this would be a sabotage from LEGO.

Edited by sahidko

11 hours ago, TakeaBrick said:

6 hours ago, sahidko said:

Come on, don't even mention that. :D How they handled LOTR side of the theme last time was bad enough, this would be a sabotage from LEGO.

I’m actually gonna hard disagree with you here—if any theme would work well with micro scale, it’s LotR. Harry Potter did it well with Hogwarts, but I don’t think anything else in that world would be particularly good for that, whereas in LotR, almost nothing other than Bag End can be truly Minifigure scale. I can understand not wanting them, and I would personally prefer Minifigure scale, but given how well Hogwarts has supposedly done, I wouldn’t be surprised if we got it. 
On that note, even though I would prefer Minifigure scale, I would honestly probably get a micro scale Minas Tirith or Barad-Dur if those were the only ones we got.

Each to their own. I would personally prefer minigure scale Minas Tirith with hopefully significant number of minifigs (around 20 including multiple Gondor soldiers) which even if we didn't get anything else would make Gondor army building somewhat viable. Instead of microfig scale set like Hogwarts castle with only couple exclusive figures.

Edited by sahidko

51 minutes ago, sahidko said:

Each to their own. I would personally prefer minigure scale Minas Tirith with hopefully significant number of minifigs (around 20 including multiple Gondor soldiers) which even if we didn't get anything else would make Gondor army building somewhat viable. Instead of microfig scale set like Hogwarts castle with only couple exclusive figures.

A minifigure scale Minas Tirith would be 12 metres tall. 

The micro scale Hogwarts is a phenomenal set. I’d personally prefer a well-proportioned micro scale Minas Tirith than a wonky looking minifigure compatible one. If we want minifigure compatible sets, Minas Tirith isn’t a good option IMO. It doesn’t scale down as well as something like Helm’s Deep or the Black Gate.

Right, meant minifig compatible playset not trully "minifigure" scale build, my bad.

Anyway, in case we get 1 microscale and 2 brickheads sets only i would consider it a complete fiasco.

Edited by sahidko

On 9/30/2022 at 4:11 AM, MAB said:

I doubt we would ever get enough sets to have a lot of variants of each character. Frodo, Gandalf and maybe Aragorn sure (like last time). But otherwise, we'd probably have to make do with one ... and probably none of some (again!)

Depends on if it’s a legitimate reboot

Minas Tirith would be the perfect set for me but what if it’s a £500 Rivendell set? 

The amount of landscaping bases and buildings that Rivendell could need could definitely fill that price point and it could have 20 characters just from Fellowship alone - including all 9 fellowship members 

1 hour ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

Minas Tirith would be the perfect set for me but what if it’s a £500 Rivendell set? 

The amount of landscaping bases and buildings that Rivendell could need could definitely fill that price point and it could have 20 characters just from Fellowship alone - including all 9 fellowship members 

I like your thinking .. very, very much indeed 😁

13 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Depends on if it’s a legitimate reboot

I don't know what that means. Last time we got two full waves, yet did not get doubles of Sam, Merry, Pippin, Boromir, Legolas, or Gimli in those sets. Hence I assume even if they reboot and we get one or two new waves, I doubt we will get a lot of variants of each character.

IMO we won't get a Microscale for this theme (similar to Hogwarts) unless it is Rivendell. 

One of the things that make the Hogwarts set so attractive is once you turn around the stunning exterior there are loads of interior scenes from the movies. This goes some way to justifying the value of the set, not only value for money, but value for space. 

I don't think there is a LOTR location like this, Rivendell would be interesting as it is very open, so would be the closest thing to Hogwarts in that sense. Helm's Deep or Minas Tirith would be a wonderful exterior and disappointing interior. Helm's Deep would have the Throne Room and Glittering Caves, Minas Tirith could have the Throne Room, Houses of Healing, Gandalf's Rooms, Pyre Room and Archives, but few of these are as recognisable as the Great Hall or Staircase in Hogwarts for example. 

Plus a micro horse figure would be needed. 

Maybe if the castles had micro figures for the exterior battle, but one or two rooms of interior with minifigures that would be one way around it. But not sure how popular that would be. 

2 hours ago, MAB said:

I don't know what that means.

They mean if it's not just the D2C and brickheadz but that we may hopefully go on to get a full lineup of system sets.

16 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

They mean if it's not just the D2C and brickheadz but that we may hopefully go on to get a full lineup of system sets.

A full line-up is likely to be 6 and maybe 8 sets in a year and that is what I would normally think of as a legitimate reboot of the theme. But it doesn't match the earlier comments. If you look at the original post I referred to it was "... prioritizing details in making a lot of different variants of each character. Paying attention to different outfits from the films and making that distinction in the figures depending on the scenes being depicted.". I cannot really see how they can give even just two variants of just the Fellowship within one or two waves of the theme unless they skip everyone else in the movies. In the original sets, they didn't do multiple variants of all the Fellowship in two complete waves. So it seems a big jump to go from two BH sets plus a D2C to an evergreen theme like HP getting 10-15 sets per year every year. Here legitimate reboot seems to mean turning LOTR into a significantly larger theme that it ever was in the past. Would that be great? Yes. Is it likely? Not really. Harry Potter has a big kid following allowing for small kid sets as well as larger sets. LOTR doesn't. But I would still consider it to be a reboot of the theme if we got just one wave of 6-8 sets instead of just the two BH and a D2C.

If the rumor for the D2C is real, I don't see them do Minas Tirith or Rivendell. If it's a playscale set it will probably be Helms Deep. Something like the 90th anniversary castle but then with an extended wall. 

My worst fear is that it is real and it's like a microscale or bust/statue with 0-2 minifigures.