The new parts in the SUV sound VERY interesting. That's what I'm most excited for so far. The excavator isn't for me, it reminds me a little bit of the 8275 bulldozer. New remote control system, a record number of motors, new sprokets but also mechanically unrealistic (build for real?) and simplistic. It feels like less of a authentic model and more of a platform to show off the new remote control system. Only this time it's HUGE! But I'm very happy to see the control+ hubs can power 4 motors each. That's much more appropriate for technic than the train hub. So while the excavator is most likely a no, the SUV sounds like it could be a very nice surprise that I wasn't expecting. If these reports of the new hubs are correct, with the planetary gear reduction and stronger joints, well that's another part I've been asking for, but if (it's a big if, I'm not letting expectations get too out of hand) it does indeed have proper bearings, well that's even better. 

Just now, Robin_IV said:

But what for kind of shock absorbers would you expect then? The short ones will not fit for a crawler

As far as I remember the same like in 9398. But I#m absolutely not sure. Sorry. Without pictures it's hard to remember all those details.

So, we do get a new "PF" system after all. Very cool. Can't wait to start building these bad boys. I do wonder if an app is the only way to control the model (sorry if this has been mentioned).

Just read the SUV has motors in each axle, like the crawler. That's disappointing, but those new parts still sound awesome!

Just now, Jim said:

I do wonder if an app is the only way to control the model (sorry if this has been mentioned).

Yes at the moment. And more disappointing: The app will be fixed for now. You can't configure own configurations. They said that won't be changed until end of 2019. Hope they'll be faster.

That's not too bad, we won't get the new parts till mid/late 2019 so it wouldn't be that long to wait.

1 hour ago, JimDude said:

.. Any guesses on what all the -slightly ugly- yellow bits sticking out are? Especially in the undercarriage they look out of place (on the boom they could be fake lights, but on the undercarriage?). ...

The real R9800 is obviously too big and heavy to transport as a complete machine, so it must be broken down in smaller but still heavy components. The yellow parts indicate the lifting points to hoist these components during all the logistic maneuvers involved. Here is an interesting video that shows this process: 

EDIT: this video shows a slightly different version of the R9800 with a more traditional excavator boom. I have a suspicion this might be the B-model if there will be any in this set.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

@jrx  You say different than 9398 but in what way ?

It is more lile a Nissan Pathfinder than a Navara for example ?

6 minutes ago, jrx said:

Yes at the moment. And more disappointing: The app will be fixed for now. You can't configure own configurations. They said that won't be changed until end of 2019. Hope they'll be faster.

Since we have Brickcontroller 2 I wouldn't be worried about this anyway :) But that leaves an interesting question, does the 4x4 have its own specialized app or will it get a physical controller? Did they mention anything about a Technic-style physical controller?

10 minutes ago, jrx said:

Okay, thanks. Like @allanp said, it's not too bad. But I don't like the fact that the app might be the only means of control, although I really doubt this won't change.

And when we get the sets for review, the app will most likely not be available yet. I already see the drama unfolding. Same goes for people buying the set somewhere before the release date :tongue:

12 minutes ago, jrx said:

As far as I remember the same like in 9398. But I#m absolutely not sure. Sorry. Without pictures it's hard to remember all those details.

Ah. I see you missunderstood me. I meant originally the -Shock Absorber 9.5L (Extra Hard Spring)- of the 9398 .

Just now, Jim said:

Okay, thanks. Like @allanp said, it's not too bad. But I don't like the fact that the app might be the only means of control, although I really doubt this won't change.

And when we get the sets for review, the app will most likely not be available yet. I already see the drama unfolding. Same goes for people buying the set somewhere before the release date :tongue:

Same with the German Lego catalogue. It's just available since one week or so while all others had it since beginning of the year. So I do not have hopes for the app to come earlier. But hopefully when it comes, it will be able to be customized like the Buwizz App.

31 minutes ago, w219 said:

It is more lile a Nissan Pathfinder than a Navara for example ?

Uuhhh … tough task :) Nissan Navara to Mercedes X class? No ... Navara to G class. The 42099 has completely different undercarriage, different structure, but still it remains me of 9398 … you guess what I mean? ;)

28 minutes ago, kbalage said:

Since we have Brickcontroller 2 I wouldn't be worried about this anyway :) But that leaves an interesting question, does the 4x4 have its own specialized app or will it get a physical controller? Did they mention anything about a Technic-style physical controller?

Only app so far. Physical controller would be great and cool. But nothing was announced.

26 minutes ago, JGW3000 said:

So, did they finally remove the "do not use outdoors" recommendation was used for PFs?

Don't know! There was no instructions book to look into :D

Well i am speaking about the body, not the frame. I understand thanks to you that frame is like 9398 but it is what is sitting on the frame that is exciting to know.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

I keep track of the Powered Up threads in train forum (some interesting stuff there about 3rd party control BTW), but also specific to the new official PU controllers.

Obviously it's 100% unclear whether the PU controllers will connect to Control+  

But Trains is a minor line, and the new PU controller is moderately complex.  I can't see TLG doing that engineering just for trains (and a few RC creator things like Batmobile). 

So at least hope :)

Edited by andythenorth

Wow, seems that I missed too much for these days. So, we're going to get something really new this time - this year is a really huge deal for Technic series. In all meanings.
Interesting, will something like 9398->41999 thingy come for 42099? I would see some other muscle car on 4x4 chassis :grin:

Edited by Void_S

1 hour ago, w219 said:

Well i am speaking about the body, not the frame. I understand thanks to you that frame is like 9398 but it is what is sitting on the frame that is exciting to know.

Sorry, maybe I was not clear enough. The frame is also completely different. But from the overall impression it reminded me of 9398.

Without people like you, we all would be here imaginating everything ahhhhhhhh, now we have ideas of what will come.

If I understood correctly, LEGO has a new official partner - Liebherr (so far there was only volvo in case of building machines, am I right?). So we can expect more heavy machinery with cool functions in the future! :wub:

These changes will make another bunch of MOCs obsolete. That longer actuator is awesome and will greatly improve any crane-like models a lot. It's pretty hard to keep up, one-year development of a MOC is too long now.