My guess is that both the grey 3x11 panels are openable. The orange connectors are attached to the panels only.

https://i0.wp.com/www.fbtb.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/IMG_5713.jpg?ssl=1

We can see that one connector is attached to the lower panel, and one is to the upper panel. Also, the upper panel (the one with the 02 sticker) is attached to the angle beams at the top axle holes only. So it's intended to be openable.

1 hour ago, Omikron said:

If orange axle connectors are "handles" and not connected to the frame then both panels open. Upper one opens upwards and lower one opens downwards.

Yes, I think that's exactly it. The lower and upper panels are only connected to the bent liftarms at the top for the top panel and bottom for the bottom panel. Nice find :)

I don't think it's a traditional piston engine inside, as there doesn't seem to be a differential or space for an axle at the rear or front. There's a bit of green seen in one of the photos inside the front of the counterweight by the looks.

Is this actually directly based on an existing prototype autonomous loader? Just from a quick google search, all I can find are pictures of this model or else very different looking real-life loaders (which look more like normal loaders than this futuristic scorpion vehicle). 

It looks like there is some kind of detail in the counterweight, it can be just barely seen between the panels on the moveable counterweight. Whether this will do anything is unknown. It's probably just a detail.

I can't help but think that this set would have been much better pneumatic. Linear actuators are just so tedious to operate by hand.

2 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

It looks like there is some kind of detail in the counterweight, it can be just barely seen between the panels on the moveable counterweight. Whether this will do anything is unknown. It's probably just a detail.

I can't help but think that this set would have been much better pneumatic. Linear actuators are just so tedious to operate by hand.

Yes, and a pneumatic logic circuit (like 8868-b) would have made it somewhat autonomous. 

I didn't even think of that, you're right.

In one of the pictures, we see a mystery shaft going to the rear axle. I dunno if that's a steering axle, because if it is, it is in a really awkward position, given that the rear axle has variable height. Might this set have some kind of fake engine after all? Even if it is for a fake engine, that shaft would have to have some kind of telescopic connection to accommodate the moving rear axle.

LEGO-Technic-Fall-2018-3.jpg?resize=1024

Here's the picture in question. On second thought, it is actually in an okay position, as the rear axle is actually on a parallelogram linkage. The remaining question is, what's the knob on the back of the counterweight for? I think it might be to open the counterweight to access the drivetrain inside. Either that, or it moves the counterweight forward and backward. Hey @dokludi, are you going to reverse engineer this?:wink:

Edited by Saberwing40k

Hmmm, if that knob is for adjusting the rear, than it is pretty lame... for me it makes sense if it is moving simultaneosly with the bucket lifting, and would be also nice feature. Let's wait for video demonstration!

2 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

Totally agree, and would be even nicer line-up with the 42053 (which is a lot fun to play with).

The knob on the counterweight shifts it forward and back along the rack - probably a worm gear given everything else is direct-drive as possible (the 3 large LAs are all direct drive).

The shaft is steering - notice it ends up where the shaft for steering is for the front.

Agreed that some sort of simultaneous movement would have been way cooler.

4 hours ago, JonathanM said:

The knob on the counterweight shifts it forward and back along the rack - probably a worm gear given everything else is direct-drive as possible (the 3 large LAs are all direct drive).

The shaft is steering - notice it ends up where the shaft for steering is for the front.

Agreed that some sort of simultaneous movement would have been way cooler.

You beat me too it. It is rear connection for 4 wheel steer @Saberwing40k.

On 5/18/2018 at 11:15 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

My guess is that both the grey 3x11 panels are openable. The orange connectors are attached to the panels only. [...]

I agree. Volvo uses the color orange to highlight the parts on the outside of a machine which are intended to interact with users. Steps, guide rails and handles on real machines are orange nowadays, and this idea is used in this futuristic vehicle as well. By that logic, the two orange connectors are supposed to be handles to be pulled by an operator to open a part of the rear compartment. maybe for recharging/refueling, engine maintenance, programming, ...

I finally figured out what bugged me about this machine. It is the fact that it lacks a sense of scale to me. In models of a real machine, the size of the cabine gives you an idea of its size in relation to the human scale. Since this hasn't got a cabine for obvious reasons, it is much more difficult to figure out how big this vehicle is supposed to be "in real life". Based on height of the first step in relation to the ground and the spacing between the handles and height of those handles in relation to the tyre, I feel it's smaller than you might imagine, more likely to be the size of a L60H than a L350H.

In the high res image, the black pieces in the top of the "02 panel" appear to be ball joints?

5 minutes ago, doggo said:

In the high res image, the black pieces in the top of the "02 panel" appear to be ball joints?

Yes they are, Bionicle sized.

41 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

That's another thing that makes this set stand out from most others. It also adds to the futuristic feel.

3 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

I think @doggo is referring to the standard technic balljoints connected from the underside to the topmost DBG panels. Seems odd placement given the panels pivot on that axis. I guess they could be stopping the panel from pushing in too far when swung back down?

You know, I think this set is kind of a waste. It's too big for what it is. I think this set and 42080 should have been switched in size. The robot loader would work much better as a ~1000 piece set, and would benefit from having PF. The forest machine would have worked much better at the ~1800 part size, with more than two pneumatic functions, and a manual pump.

@Saberwing40k 42081 is already a ~1.2k piece set, it’s just enormous for the amount of pieces it uses.

That being said I do think the two should’ve been swapped when it comes to scale. A bigger Forest Harvester would’ve been better.

6 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

You know, I think this set is kind of a waste. It's too big for what it is. I think this set and 42080 should have been switched in size. The robot loader would work much better as a ~1000 piece set, and would benefit from having PF. The forest machine would have worked much better at the ~1800 part size, with more than two pneumatic functions, and a manual pump.

I actually think it's quite refreshing to have a set of this size without the need for batteries to make it operate. Sometimes direct control is better.

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

I actually think it's quite refreshing to have a set of this size without the need for batteries to make it operate. Sometimes direct control is better.

For me the problem is that the loader is so functionally not dense that it seems large and empty, even more so that there’s no engine compartment by the looks of it.

30 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

For me the problem is that the loader is so functionally not dense that it seems large and empty, even more so that there’s no engine compartment by the looks of it.

There seems to be something inside the counterweight.

3 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

@Maaboo35 I just hope it isn’t some cosmetic trinket.

Look closely at the set image. You can see part of a triangular warning symbol under the panel.