26 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Early leakers would only get sued if there were monetary damages as a result, which there pretty much aren’t. Pretty sure litigation under grounds of “it was revealed earlier than hoped” doesn’t hold much ground

If you watch Jangbrick´s Lego video reviews, you´ll know he had previous with TLG regarding a review he posted of a Star Wars set he bought before release date and the video was taken down. He now posts a disclaimer before any such video claiming his right as a consumer to express his opinion about an item he bought legally under "fair use" US case law.

The problem is that any affiliate of TLG doing that (or enabling it on their social media and forums) is biting the hand that feeds them, which is not very smart. It´s more political (and good manners) than legal.

In the end Lego want to sell as many sets as they can not going around suing customers and it´s up to them to ensure the shelf date is respected by THEIR employees and customers - not the final end user, who cannot be blamed for buying or reviewing a product.

From memory, the only recent set they managed to release themselves without any prior leaks was the Joker Mansion.

Edited by valenciaeric

30 minutes ago, jwarner said:

Considering all that's been learned from this, you could almost expect the 2020 supercar reveal to be flawless :laugh:

Till this time even each new MOC will become flawless. Step by step level of sets and MOCs is growing endless.

1 hour ago, Milan said:

@AndroTech I have removed your links from the post. Please do not post images until the reveal date.

We do need to keep the EB clean from leaks until the reveal date. Pictures posted by AndroTech may or may not be "leaks", but, again, we want to respect TLG wishes, even though we understand that if AndroTech got the set today, there are probably others who will get the set before the reveal.

Actually ... I walked into the store, and there it was, on the shelve ... I suppose this isn't a leak if I took the pictures myself ... but anyway, if you estimate that this is a leak, then remove the links.

I saw the box on the shelve, took it to the cash register, paid for the product and take it home ... what's wrong about that?

Edited by AndroTech

11 minutes ago, AndroTech said:

Actually ... I walked into the store , and there it was, on the shelve ... I suppose this isn't a leak if I took the pictures myself ... but anyway, if you estimate that this is a leak, then remove the links.

I saw the box on the shelve, took it to the cash register, paid for the product and take it home ... what's wrong about that?

The wrong part comes from the fact that the store wasn't supposed to show or sell it just yet. If it was me I would have bought it too, but wouldn't post pictures probably since lets be real, we all know when the reveal date is.

15 minutes ago, AndroTech said:

Actually ... I walked into the store , and there it was, on the shelve ... I suppose this isn't a leak if I took the pictures myself ... but anyway, if you estimate that this is a leak, then remove the links.

The only issue IMO is that the MOD's have asked for no images.  You are free to make your own website or post on other mediums but this is not your website.

6 minutes ago, Ascius said:

The wrong part comes from the fact that the store wasn't supposed to show or sell it just yet. If it was me I would have bought it too, but wouldn't post pictures probably since lets be real, we all know when the reveal date is.

Her comes the tricky part ... I asked the sales girl, how come that they selling Bugatti already when the official release date was June 1, and she replied, that they have clearance, and they put boxes on the shelves. 

Edited by AndroTech

3 minutes ago, AndroTech said:

she replied, that they have clearance, and they put boxes on the shelves.

Something tells me there will be a job opening soon at that LEGO store...

5 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

Something tells me there will be a job opening soon at that LEGO store...

More like job opening for the position of the person that gives the clearance

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Some may be forgetting about shipping logistics. To have a true full reveal and that item be sold starting that same day, product needs to be at the store only a day or two prior but no more to avoid leaks. That’s amazingly hard to coordinate which store (and special cases like Jim, etc) will get the boxes all on a particular day since shipping times vary store to store, country to country. Typically things are shipped out the same day instead of going through the major hassle of estimating ship time for every single destination.

Things like video games come in a box with massive warning stickers or tape that has the reveal date so maybe Lego hasn’t done that. 

Edited by thatrabidhobo

They do this actually for years, but a label on a box does not make one smarter... I work in packaging industry, I know.

Example:

s-l300.jpg

If set has been bought in store (official or not) it is legal to do whatever you want to do with it, so I cannot see why we are getting all mad about banning these pictures now.

2 hours ago, Milan said:

@AndroTech I have removed your links from the post. Please do not post images until the reveal date.

We do need to keep the EB clean from leaks until the reveal date. Pictures posted by AndroTech may or may not be "leaks", but, again, we want to respect TLG wishes, even though we understand that if AndroTech got the set today, there are probably others who will get the set before the reveal.

@zux This - see previous page.

Just now, zux said:

If set has been bought in store (official or not) it is legal to do whatever you want to do with it, so I cannot see why we are getting all mad about banning these pictures now.

Exactly, the store is mainly at fault there, but the forums here are pretty specific about not posting leaked images (And buying from an official store before release, doesn't mean it's not a "leak").

Just now, agrof said:

@zux This - see previous page.

That's for shop employees. You don't get these when you buy a set.

This is about Eurobricks and The LEGO Group relationship / partnership, is this really that hard to understand?

Edit: @zux Wait, do You mean the labels? Sorry but I don't see than your point in this discussion. As stated before, it is the fault of the shop. Period. Posting here pictures before the official reveal is against Eurobricks policy (in partnership with TLG) - you accepted it by signing in and reading the Forum Guidelines. Period.

Edited by agrof

18 hours ago, Jim said:

I can assure that it’s not a marketing trick. The plan was to have NO leaks before the 1st of June, and they did a pretty good job. Some unexpected events in planning/logistics occured (can’t tell details) which eventually lead to the leaks from official LEGO stores. Some employees definitely need to go look for another job.

Fair enough, they did a very good job - and as mentioned i fully support the ban on here. They're a big operation with thousands of people in the chain. Only takes one to leak.... they should include a unique code on all boxes etc so that pics can be traced. Thats what SKY do to stop hacked sky boxes, they all display a code which is fully traceable.

13 minutes ago, Ascius said:

because i believe TLG don't want this forum to show them. If that's the case, then that's reason enough, surely? IP is everything, and sharing theirs against their will isn't on... i'm a software developer, and if you stole/shared my IP against my wishes, i'd set the dogs on you!

10 minutes ago, agrof said:

This is about Eurobricks and The LEGO Group relationship / partnership, is this really that hard to understand?

Edit: @zux Wait, do You mean the labels? Sorry but I don't see than your point in this discussion. As stated before, it is the fault of the shop. Period. Posting here pictures before the official reveal is against Eurobricks policy (in partnership with TLG) - you accepted it by signing in and reading the Forum Guidelines. Period.

I mean obligation. If I get to buy a set (not steal, get for review or any other ways) in a physical store with my money I'm not obligated to follow TLG rules or requests. It is hardly considered as a leak at this point. So I'm struggling to understand all the buzz about it.

Kudos to TLG, which was very good at hiding the set this year. But if they really don't want late leaks I see a simple solution - sale date must be 15-30 days post announcement. By the time it gets available all details will be officially released.

13 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

Fair enough, they did a very good job - and as mentioned i fully support the ban on here. They're a big operation with thousands of people in the chain. Only takes one to leak.... they should include a unique code on all boxes etc so that pics can be traced. Thats what SKY do to stop hacked sky boxes, they all display a code which is fully traceable.

Big Brother? No thanks.

Well we all have different views on spoilers, be it legal or illegal. For me I do wish to keep as much a secret as possible. This is why I only watch Sariel and etc when I already have the set. And it's a tight lock for them, that's the biggest problem for us here with the images

Btw strangely thats not my quote, but zux @TeamThrifty

Edited by Ascius

You've clearly not read 1984!! (its a great book, you should...) There's a difference between perpetual surveillance (1984) and catching an illegally leaked code(sky).. 

Just now, Ascius said:

Btw strangely thats not my quote, but zux @TeamThrifty

Very odd.. you can't trust software! (and i should know, i write it!!)

Non-Lego stores selling before reveal date has happened in the past and nothing comes of it.  TLG ships to these store to ensure it is on the shelf the day of the reveal, and they have “loose” agreements not to sell before a certain date, but one forgives their distribution partners for these kinds of mistakes due to how hard it is to establish them.  Believe it or not, getting a store to carry a Toy whose markup is significantly lower than other toy brands can be difficult. Here in the states the markup for Lego is no higher than 40% usually, with most Toy manufacturers hitting the 100% markup price point. This means if TLG sells a set for $100 msrp, they sell it to the store for $60, the store marks it up to $100.  That makes Lego one of the most expensive toys to keep on the shelf, and why TLG handles their distribution partners with kid gloves. As a store owner, if you have a customer standing in your store, wanting the merchandise on your shelf, and they are willing to pay full price, you are not going to turn them away. This is life, and TLG knows it. They can be mad, but they are NOT going to sue anybody in their distribution chain.

7 minutes ago, zux said:

I mean obligation. If I get to buy a set (not steal, get for review or any other ways) in a physical store with my money I'm not obligated to follow TLG rules or requests. It is hardly considered as a leak at this point. So I'm struggling to understand all the buzz about it.

Than check please again what I wrote, and check the website where you comment. It is Eurobricks - starts to switch the lightbulb on?

In case: Posting here pictures before the official reveal is against Eurobricks policy (in partnership with TLG) - you accepted it by signing in and reading the Forum Guidelines. Period. Moderators have asked members to act accordingly way more times in this topic than should be needed.

Edited by agrof

When someone takes a picture of a set in a Lego store, then Brickset is willing to post that picture.  That's what they did with the 75181 UCS Y-wing, a couple days before its official reveal.  This seems to be the same situation.

Can someone link to the exact language in the Eurobricks forum guidelines that prohibits pictures like that?  The clause against leaks doesn't say anything about sets that you see in the store with your own eyes and photograph with your own camera and buy with your own money.  Are we now going to condemn Jangbricks for the times when he got sets before the official street date, perfectly legitimately, and side with TLG in demanding that his reviews of those sets be taken down, too?  Let's be consistent, people.  We like Brickset, we like Jangbricks, let's stop piling on the guy who got lucky enough to buy the Bugatti.

Edited by icm
Added second paragraph.

6 hours ago, Jim said:

everything was supposed to work out differently. It’s more complicated than this, unfortunately.

Apparently, you have more info than we have about how things are supposed to work out. Would you want to elaborate on this? Not necessarily now, but for example, in your review of the set? Or aren't you allowed to tell these kinds of things?

Looking at the instruction images on the leaked pics, I can only see three driving rings. So no 8 gears but 6 or so?