Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #159: An Unexpected Return

1 hour ago, The Legonater said:

Rone watches the scene, aghast as the disgraced Veterans step into the Locale. Men he once looked up to, men he once respected; they were reduced to playing as victims, sobbing, acclimating messes. Men who abandoned Heroica for the Wolfgang now pleaded for forgiveness. Men who had let Heroica fall into disgrace now disgraced themselves. Dyric had no pity.

Look, Serpent, I think I speak for all of us here when I say: to Hel with your apologies. The Founders took a good look at your Heroica and found it wanting - and honestly? I can't blame them. You brought us here. I don't see how you're going to get us out. You have beyond a full party's worth of Heroes who still have their weapons and their pride intact. If anyone is going to restore Heroica to what it was, it'll be us , not you. 

Kukulkan, stands and takes the berating.
38801308774_c6cbe93c09_t.jpg
"I do not presume that we will lead you, we have all seen where that got us in the past. But we will offer aid in restoring you, back to the hall if we can. Trust me when I say the Wolf Gang wants to get to the bottom of this just as much as you do."

39 minutes ago, Zepher said:

“So I guess our real question is what the Hel are these folks?”

`38801308854_e9e23485af_t.jpg
"Soddin' murders that's what they are, both Cain and his dragon, just gone..."

Just now, Waterbrick Down said:

"I do not presume that we will lead you, we have all seen where that got us in the past. But we will offer aid in restoring you, back to the hall if we can. Trust me when I say the Wolf Gang wants to get to the bottom of this just as much as you do."

Personally, it feels like their is a Target on my back, I want it gone. And the rest of you should have similar feeling. If their is a Target on my back their is probably one on everyone's else back to. 

1 hour ago, Zepher said:

“Hm. My young apprentice,” Boomingham laughs as he waves to the much stronger man. “Glad to see you’ve come to serve under me again in a time of need.”

"As always!  Wouldn't have it any other way.  Just this time, not so much of this," Hoke says, thumping Boomingham's tankard,"It makes you...sleepy"

35 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Seems like this fellow didn't get the point," Hoke whispers to Althior and Boomingham,"I'm not sure I would care for his, or Copper Fox's company in this endevour."

On 1/5/2018 at 3:57 PM, CMP said:

Atramor dropped a pouch of 150 coins on the counter. "A round of Mead for every hero in here, on me. 

Hoke raises the freshly delivered Atramor's way in salute.

"If ever there was a rogue," Hoke said to himself, drinking down the mead.

10 hours ago, Khorne said:

Then he spotted Pretzel the Monk and then Throlar, the ambassador. "You have got to be kidding me", the Nord stood there, somewhat flabbergasted.

"Unfortunately, no." said Throlar with enough venom in his words to kill an elephant. "Have you seen the newspapers recently?"

2 hours ago, The Legonater said:

As far as plans go, that's not a bad start. If we can challenge the legitimacy of these Founders, that would be a good step towards bringing back Heroica. 

"Aye. I sure don't wanna believe these idiots are the legendary heroes that built the damn Hall in the first place."

1 hour ago, Zepher said:

Boomingham’s face cracks into a smile, especially once Atramaor buys a round for everyone. “Thought you might be dead. Should have known to not get my hopes up.”

"C'mon, ya' old bastard. If a few archdemons and Baba can't do me in, what will?" Atramor smirked a bit and slid Boomingham his mead, clinking the old man's mug before drinking his own. "Glad you're still 'round as well. Seems not many of us are."

Just now, UsernameMDM said:

"Glad to see you managed to pull yourself away from the Fields for this, at least, mate," he chuckled.

I should be lucky too, WBD, as we have other original rogues in the party. :thumbup:

Just now, CMP said:

"Glad to see you managed to pull yourself away from the Fields for this, at least, mate," he chuckled.

Hoke laughed too.

"It's a good thing I was in the Fields that much.  It looks like we could use all the help we can get."

Hoke looks around, making sure no ear is direct towards them.

"What is really going on?  Should we leave here and start to investigate?" he asks Althior, Boomingham, and Atramor,"I know if we want to find out the truth, it will most likely be outside these walls."

2 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

15594715902_38d13b721a_t.jpg
"What's that about the Dragon House? Ya know most of it's burnt down, right?"

"Nope, sure didn't know 'bout that. But if the tomb's underneath it, with any luck, it should still be intact...body or no body."

2 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Rone watches the scene, aghast as the disgraced Veterans step into the Locale. Men he once looked up to, men he once respected; they were reduced to playing as victims, sobbing, acclimating messes. Men who abandoned Heroica for the Wolfgang now pleaded for forgiveness. Men who had let Heroica fall into disgrace now disgraced themselves. Dyric had no pity.

Look, Serpent, I think I speak for all of us here when I say: to Hel with your apologies. The Founders took a good look at your Heroica and found it wanting - and honestly? I can't blame them. You brought us here. I don't see how you're going to get us out. You have beyond a full party's worth of Heroes who still have their weapons and their pride intact. If anyone is going to restore Heroica to what it was, it'll be us , not you. 

"Mister, whoever you are, shut up. I honestly couldn't care less about wether these men are Wolfgang or not, after being stuck working with someone who openly betrayed us to them-" here he cast a meaningful look at Eric and Althior, "-I've become rather desensitized to that. What I care about is that these men have just lost a friend and they are entitled to their grief. And as for Heroica being wanting, who's to say it is? These people who just showed up out of the blue claiming to be the first Veterans right when almost all of the major powers in Eubric have been destabilized? Doesn't that strike you as a little suspicious in conjunction with the fact that they've suddenly declared an alliance with the two most powerful remaining groups to 'build a better Eubric' or whatever it is? Or are you too caught up in founder worship to consider the possibility that this might be a massive setup? And even if they are the real thing that doesn't make the timing any less suspicious."

He paused, sighed, and then in a much calmer tone he said;

"Sorry if I was rather abrasive there, I'm... a bit confused at the moment."

2 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

"Seems like this fellow didn't get the point," Hoke whispers to Althior and Boomingham,"I'm not sure I would care for his, or Copper Fox's company in this endevour."

Althior hesitates. He'd thought he'd left this life behind, but if the warring between the houses seemed to be truly over, then perhaps Heroica could come back in all of its glory. He leans in. "Agreed, but we can still use them to figure out what the hel is going on here, and why the old veterans have turned murderous... I'd be honored to do so with the future king of eubric," he states sarcastically to Boomingham. After all, it was all he had know the man for.

1 hour ago, UsernameMDM said:

"What is really going on?  Should we leave here and start to investigate?" he asks Althior, Boomingham, and Atramor,"I know if we want to find out the truth, it will most likely be outside these walls."

"Like I said, let's get some more information from here before we head out, but otherwise I'm ready to go wherever you want. I'm happy to get to the bottom of this as we 'get the gang back together', as they say. I see no need to involve the others in our work. After all, if our veterans couldn't be trusted, who says all of these folk can?"

A Town Watch guard and paladin of the 18th battalion enter Lady's Luck. Jacq and Kukulkan manage to avoid detection sitting off in one of the shadowing corners of the tavern.

Heroicaquest85-geezard
"Right then, 15 minutes to close up shop now. New curfew going into effect tonight."

15432199980_b5a4515710_t.jpg
"What curfew? Do you have any idea what this'll do to my business."

14487117009_ae93ed93c4_t.jpg
"All establishments will be closed after nine bells. Citizens expected to be indoors at half past. New ordinance of the Eubric council for peace and prosperity. It's for your own good Mam, I'm sure it's only temporary."

13 minutes ago, K-Nut said:

Althior hesitates. He'd thought he'd left this life behind, but if the warring between the houses seemed to be truly over, then perhaps Heroica could come back in all of its glory. He leans in. "Agreed, but we can still use them to figure out what the hel is going on here, and why the old veterans have turned murderous... I'd be honored to do so with the future king of eubric," he states sarcastically to Boomingham. After all, it was all he had know the man for.

Hoke tries to stifle a chuckle, but spits it out anyway.

14 minutes ago, K-Nut said:

"Like I said, let's get some more information from here before we head out, but otherwise I'm ready to go wherever you want. I'm happy to get to the bottom of this as we 'get the gang back together', as they say. I see no need to involve the others in our work. After all, if our veterans couldn't be trusted, who says all of these folk can?"

"Agreed.  Who do we start with?  I say the drunk one."

Just now, Waterbrick Down said:

A Town Watch guard and paladin of the 18th battalion enter Lady's Luck. Jacq and Kukulkan manage to avoid detection sitting off in one of the shadowing corners of the tavern.

Heroicaquest85-geezard
"Right then, 15 minutes to close up shop now. New curfew going into effect tonight."

15432199980_b5a4515710_t.jpg
"What curfew? Do you have any idea what this'll do to my business."

"All establishments will be closed after nine bells. Citizens expected to be indoors at half past. New ordinance of the Eubric council for peace and prosperity. It's for your own good Mam, I'm sure it's only temporary."

"And it looks like we have 15 minutes to do it."

24 minutes ago, UsernameMDM said:

"Agreed.  Who do we start with?  I say the drunk one."

"Might as well. Drunks are usually more susceptible to diplomatic solutions anyways,"

25 minutes ago, UsernameMDM said:

"And it looks like we have 15 minutes to do it."

He smirks. "Yes, as if the watch has ever been able to tell us what to do before,"

4 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

You think we want the Wolfgang's help? Faction wars are what got us all in this mess. Running to the Wolfgang will only get us deeper. We'll do this as Heroes.

2 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Mister, whoever you are, shut up. I honestly couldn't care less about wether these men are Wolfgang or not, after being stuck working with someone who openly betrayed us to them-" here he cast a meaningful look at Eric and Althior, "-I've become rather desensitized to that. What I care about is that these men have just lost a friend and they are entitled to their grief. And as for Heroica being wanting, who's to say it is? These people who just showed up out of the blue claiming to be the first Veterans right when almost all of the major powers in Eubric have been destabilized? Doesn't that strike you as a little suspicious in conjunction with the fact that they've suddenly declared an alliance with the two most powerful remaining groups to 'build a better Eubric' or whatever it is? Or are you too caught up in founder worship to consider the possibility that this might be a massive setup? And even if they are the real thing that doesn't make the timing any less suspicious."

He paused, sighed, and then in a much calmer tone he said;

"Sorry if I was rather abrasive there, I'm... a bit confused at the moment."

Look, son, this is a trying time. But I don't trust our Veterans. They sold us out, turned to rival factions, and betrayed everything we stand for. This isn't 'founder worship,' this is me saying that we don't need them anymore. These people, Founders or not, have found Heroica wanting, and we need to prove ourselves. We do, not our former Veterans. 

Rone hears the Town Watch make their announcement.

Great, now there's that. AtramorPretzel - Namyrra isn't around, is she? That would be a good team to have about now. Uh, Matthias, you get over here, too. We should check out that tomb, make sure everything clears. If we want anyone else to come with, the more hands the merrier. Karie, you interested?

2 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

Look, son, this is a trying time. But I don't trust our Veterans. They sold us out, turned to rival factions, and betrayed everything we stand for. This isn't 'founder worship,' this is me saying that we don't need them anymore. These people, Founders or not, have found Heroica wanting, and we need to prove ourselves. We do, not our former Veterans. 

Great, now there's that. AtramorPretzel - Namyrra isn't around, is she? That would be a good team to have about now. Uh, Matthias, you get over here, too. We should check out that tomb, make sure everything clears. If we want anyone else to come with, the more hands the merrier. Karie, you interested?

"The Oracle didn't," remarked Atramor somewhat somberly. "Neither did Asa. If the Dragonlord's really dead, they're our best-"

The rogue froze mid-sentence.

"...If the Dragonlord's really dead...well...hell. Literally, hell. If the Dragonlord is dead, that could mean the Nornalis ain't workin' anymore, or that it's gone."

Atramor scratched his chin.

"Well, son of a bitch, threat of actual honest-to-gods DEATH is gonna make this a LOT more interestin', mates. Count me in, Dyric, but maybe we should help organize some other groups, yeah?" Atramor raised his voice to the rest of the room. "Anyone else got any leads in mind? Seems like Fox and Kukulkan got somethin' need doin', for you Wolflishly-inclined folks."

Sensing a fight coming tries to tell the others in a non verbal hand motionWe should kill these two now before they call in an army to finish us off. Germ then starts looking at doorway wondering how fast can he get to his weapons. As he finishes off the Mead everyone got earlier. 

10 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

On page 6 Karie finds the author of the pro-Heroica article listed as the Frustrated Flying Filly.

Karie scratches her chin, looking around. A potential lead and ally would be helpful, especially now. As the guardsmen and paladins barge in, Karie pockets the article, hoping to follow up on the lead later. She decided to speak about it outside the earshot of potential enemies.

2 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Karie felt like she knew the answer, but wanted to be sure just in case. "Who's on this Council for Peace and Prosperity? This is news to me."

41 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

You think we want the Wolfgang's help? Faction wars are what got us all in this mess. Running to the Wolfgang will only get us deeper. We'll do this as Heroes.

Rone hears the Town Watch make their announcement.

Karie swallowed her pride, drawing closer to the circle to avoid the guards talking. "Dyric, beggars cannot be choosers. At this point, I say we at least hear Ulfric out. He might be able to lend us some aid in exchange for his safe passage out of the city. I will not be complicit in a Wolfgang run city: Ulfric has proven himself far too willing to side with scrupulous people, but if he's willing to aid us, I say we take it if the price is right. I want that bastard dead for what he did to my sister, sending her to her death, but there are far more precious things in this city than my petty revenge." 

"That being said, I do want to investigate the tomb. It's our best lead, and it'll shed light on our predicament. I also think we should try getting in contact with the Oracle. If a group wants to head to the Temple of Fabula Sibylla, that might not be a bad place to investigate either. Either way, we don't have much time."

20 minutes ago, CMP said:

"The Oracle didn't," remarked Atramor somewhat somberly. "Neither did Asa. If the Dragonlord's really dead, they're our best-"

"...If the Dragonlord's really dead...well...hell. Literally, hell. If the Dragonlord is dead, that could mean the Nornalis ain't workin' anymore, or that it's gone."

"Well, son of a bitch, threat of actual honest-to-gods DEATH is gonna make this a LOT more interestin', mates. Count me in, Dyric, but maybe we should help organize some other groups, yeah?" Atramor raised his voice to the rest of the room. "Anyone else got any leads in mind? Seems like Fox and Kukulkan got somethin' need doin', for you Wolflishly-inclined folks."

"I'm not opposed to the Wolfgang's involvement at this point. I do not like the Wolfgang's involvement, but what choice do we have? If the Nornalis is gone, or broken, or whatever, we need to be on our guard. I wouldn't be surprised if a plot's already brewing to axe us off."

6 hours ago, Zepher said:

”Dont presume to talk for all of us,” grumbles Boomingham. Turning to the veteran: “I don’t think a bit of ol’ leadership would do the city wrong. Real question is if this is the right type of leadership. The Hall has stopped a threat or two, and the Houses might not be the best of people, but they’re hardly the worse.” Boomingham reflects briefly on the Founder’s Ball. “So I guess our real question is what the Hel are these folks?”

4 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

2 hours ago, K-Nut said:

1 hour ago, The Legonater said:

Having listened attentively - if surreptitiously - to both conversations, Matthias presents his Sungold Badge before Boomingham. "Are you the King of Eubric, still? Will you be a king to these people, Lord Lawrence?" The tiny druid looks around the room, willing as much attention to himself as possible. "Who will lead us? Are we united? Or will we fall?" He seems larger with every word, though it's certainly an illusion created by his too-deep-for-his-size voice. "Master Dyric, do you intend to lead us? Lord Lawrence, I was ready to foillow you as king once; will you fill that roll, at least for those of us here?"

1 hour ago, CMP said:

16 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

Karie swallowed her pride, drawing closer to the circle to avoid the guards talking. "Dyric, beggars cannot be choosers. At this point, I say we at least hear Ulfric out. He might be able to lend us some aid in exchange for his safe passage out of the city. I will not be complicit in a Wolfgang run city: Ulfric has proven himself far too willing to side with scrupulous people, but if he's willing to aid us, I say we take it if the price is right. I want that bastard dead for what he did to my sister, sending her to her death, but there are far more precious things in this city than my petty revenge." 

"That being said, I do want to investigate the tomb. It's our best lead, and it'll shed light on our predicament. I also think we should try getting in contact with the Oracle. If a group wants to head to the Temple of Fabula Sibylla, that might not be a bad place to investigate either. Either way, we don't have much time."

"I'm not opposed to the Wolfgang's involvement at this point. I do not like the Wolfgang's involvement, but what choice do we have? If the Nornalis is gone, or broken, or whatever, we need to be on our guard. I wouldn't be surprised if a plot's already brewing to axe us off."

I... wondered what would happen if we were broken of Heroica's seal. We need to stay sharp. I will not deign to darken the Wolfgang's door, but if you all feel it such a necessity, perhaps Karie can lead a group in that direction. Cover all of our assets, as it were. 

7 minutes ago, StickFig said:

Having listened attentively - if surreptitiously - to both conversations, Matthias presents his Sungold Badge before Boomingham. "Are you the King of Eubric, still? Will you be a king to these people, Lord Lawrence?" The tiny druid looks around the room, willing as much attention to himself as possible. "Who will lead us? Are we united? Or will we fall?" He seems larger with every word, though it's certainly an illusion created by his too-deep-for-his-size voice. "Master Dyric, do you intend to lead us? Lord Lawrence, I was ready to foillow you as king once; will you fill that roll, at least for those of us here?"

Lead? I-

Rone paused to consider, pulling all of his thoughts together.

It wouldn't be my choice. In all honesty, I wish Guts were here. There's a lot of people who should be here, Skrall, Cronk, Docken. All of them better leaders than I am. As for our self-proclaimed King, all I know of him is what I have heard with the recent civil war. We must stand united, to be sure. We need to act together if we are to redeem Heroica to what it once was. We don't need a leader, we need cooperation. I will do what I always do; offer my opinions, direct and guide as I can. Advocate, where necessary. If you call that leadership, then fine - but authority is not something I seek. Only a Heroic rebuilt, and a Eubric restored.

Just now, The Legonater said:

Rone paused to consider, pulling all of his thoughts together.

It wouldn't be my choice. In all honesty, I wish Guts were here. There's a lot of people who should be here, Skrall, Cronk, Docken. 

"Aye....aye," agreed Atramor, his mind turning momentarily to a few of his past allies. Hybros, Guts. Skrall, Cronk. Nyx....Ellaria. "Well...ain't no room for thinkin' 'bout what might've been, here." He looked down into his empty mug, briefly, before slamming it back down on the counter. "We'll just have to fight for 'em. Heroica never woulda been what it is today if it weren't for heroes like them. May not be here, but as long as just one hero is still suckin' down breath and fightin' for right, then, well, damn it, they ARE with us."

1 hour ago, Kintobor said:

I also think we should try getting in contact with the Oracle. If a group wants to head to the Temple of Fabula Sibylla, that might not be a bad place to investigate either. Either way, we don't have much time."

I think their was a little girl in here trying to find help looking for the Oracle. I think she knows Ezeran, Torald and that other kid Petaldan. I guess I could go with them. I don't know what else to do besides...that is when Germ looks at Jacq & Kukulkan ...give certain "organizations" a black eye right at their very "homes". 

7 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Mister, whoever you are, shut up. I honestly couldn't care less about wether these men are Wolfgang or not, after being stuck working with someone who openly betrayed us to them-" here he cast a meaningful look at Eric and Althior, "-I've become rather desensitized to that.[...]"

Eric shook his head and casually waved Throlar's comment away.

8 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Unfortunately, no." said Throlar with enough venom in his words to kill an elephant. "Have you seen the newspapers recently?"

"Barely. I have other means of collecting information on the city and its inhabitants. Obviously I know about the Houses' downfall and Heroica shutting down, but why is everybody gathered here?"

Ezeran motions to Petaldan and Torald to follow him without drawing to much attention to themselves he then adresses Sküld. "Great to see you again, we don't have much time. Should we help you trying to find the Oracle?"

Vindsval Walks up to the gathering group.

The Tomb and Temple are both areas of exploration that may yield answers, 

He then gestures to Kukulkan and the Fox.

But regardless of their current standing, the Fox at least has aided ALL of us in the past.  If they are indeed in the danger they feel, they need to be taken from the city.

And then there is the small detail of us all currently being totally without armament.

14 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

"As always!  Wouldn't have it any other way.  Just this time, not so much of this," Hoke says, thumping Boomingham's tankard,"It makes you...sleepy"

Boomingham drinks his mead. “Just the one drink. For the time being.”

13 hours ago, CMP said:

"Aye. I sure don't wanna believe these idiots are the legendary heroes that built the damn Hall in the first place."

"C'mon, ya' old bastard. If a few archdemons and Baba can't do me in, what will?" Atramor smirked a bit and slid Boomingham his mead, clinking the old man's mug before drinking his own. "Glad you're still 'round as well. Seems not many of us are."

I should be lucky too, WBD, as we have other original rogues in the party. :thumbup:

“That’s the truth of it. Wouldn’t mind having Nyx here, or Skrall for that matter...” Boomingham surveys the crowd again, picking out a few more familiar faces. The Nord would be useful...

13 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

Hoke laughed too.

"It's a good thing I was in the Fields that much.  It looks like we could use all the help we can get."

Hoke looks around, making sure no ear is direct towards them.

“Aye. It’s just a question of speed and numbers.” Boomingham chews on his cheek. “We split up and lead different groups? Or put our best bets all together and allow the others to fend for themselves?” Boomingham nods to Althior as the man addresses him. He doesn’t know much about the magic user except that he’s the reason he beat out Guts  as King.

9 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Karie scratches her chin, looking around. A potential lead and ally would be helpful, especially now. As the guardsmen and paladins barge in, Karie pockets the article, hoping to follow up on the lead later. She decided to speak about it outside the earshot of potential enemies.

Karie felt like she knew the answer, but wanted to be sure just in case. "Who's on this Council for Peace and Prosperity? This is news to me."

Boomingham scowls at the Paladin and Watch. “Don’t like that.” Then he notices Karie and winces further. He clears his throat and approaches her. “I agree. Both of those are good places to start. I can go check the Temple with a group if you’d like to go hear out the Wolfhead.” Boomingham grimaces. “Don’t like his involvement at all. But if he’s going to be involved one way or the other, guess we should at least see where he stands. And I know you have a history of getting criminals on your side.” He winks.

8 hours ago, StickFig said:

Boomingham picks up the Sungold Medallion and flips it in the air a few times. “This won’t do ya much good now.” He hands the medallion back to Matthias and auks air through his teeth. He’d expected to become King under order, not chaos. He’d have needed to grow into challenge. But this... “I’ve been a King during a war before. And I was good at it. Damn good. We’re all heroes, we can make our choices. But I’d be glad to lead the way to the Temple. For the time being.”

19 hours ago, The Legonater said:

The Founders shut down Heroica, and the people rejoice. Is this what we've come to? Can we truly redeem ourselves from this?

"As bad as Heroica may have gotten Eubric still owes us more than they could ever imagine. Ungrateful lot they are!"