Robert8

Harry Potter 2018 - Rumors & Discussion

As I see it, there are three plausible options:

1. The D2C Hogwarts doesn't include a Great Hall (which would admittedly be odd) and instead it's being released as a standalone set. Or...
  2. The D2C Hogwarts' version of the Great Hall connects to/merges with the $80 standalone Great Hall to form an even larger hall (which is not entirely unprecedented... a compatible smaller Hoth set was released concurrently with the UCS Assault on Hoth set). Or...
  3. The standalone Great Hall is identical to/scaled down from the version in the D2C Hogwarts set, as a way of making the most iconic portion of the D2C set accessible at a lower price point.

Personally I think option 3 is the least appealing (for collectors and LEGO alike), given that many buyers with the money to buy both would then ignore the standalone Great Hall, and those who aspire to buy the D2C set would have less reason to save up for it. The other HP sets listed for the fall seem to be extensions of Hogwarts or the grounds (Ford Anglia... with Whomping Willow?, Aragog, etc.) so my money is on option 1 or 2. 

And while the D2C Hogwarts could theoretically be microscale like the Avengers Helicarrier, it seems pretty unlikely given the high price of the D2C listing that forms the basis for all this speculation... LEGO wouldn't sell nearly as many units if that $500 doesn't get you a Hogwarts that is compatible with this/next year's HP sets and minifigs... especially if there is truth to the HP CMF line being released at the same time. And $500 should still get you a pretty kick-megablocks Hogwarts without needing to resort to microscale.

Along those lines, it's also possible that the D2C Hogwarts doesn't exist at all, because despite whatever Brickset has listed or that Brick Show video says, no one has come forward to confirm or even hint that these rumors are true.... contrast that with the UCS Falcon that had multiple people in the know making all sorts of wink-wink noises for almost a year leading up to its release. All that is really known here is that there is a large D2C set based on some kind of licensed IP coming later in the year for around $500. 

10 hours ago, Robianco said:

,the Chamber, the greenhouses, the forest, the lake...

All that and plenty more they can leave for future add on's, what I expects is something like the 2010 Hogwarts, but with more details. If the 2010 Hogwarts is a normal MF, then the D2C is going to be like the UCS MF :wink:

10 hours ago, Black Numenorean said:

I think you forgot the minifies series.

At the end, you must pay a lot for all the thing about Harry potter!

Did not forget them, and it is going to be expensive, but surprised that the set are so small. Since we have the CMF I was thinking they would not make the smallest sets in a normal wave.. Maybe they want to get kids hooked on the small sets, so they are screaming for the D2C for x-mas :tongue:

7 hours ago, ddavid said:

You could to the same with the previous harry potter wave: 4867 and 4842 connected to make a bigger castle. But this time is a bit different. And the difference is that this is a D2C set and those sets are always complete models. I don't think there is a D2C set that can connect with other sets. Modulars and Winter Village don't count becouse there are a part of a series and you just add another set to your town, but you don't combine them into a bigger model.

You are right in that respect, but there is a first time for everything.:grin:

Edited by Legoman123

10 hours ago, jdubbs said:

1. The D2C Hogwarts doesn't include a Great Hall (which would admittedly be odd) and instead it's being released as a standalone set. Or...
  2. The D2C Hogwarts' version of the Great Hall connects to/merges with the $80 standalone Great Hall to form an even larger hall (which is not entirely unprecedented... a compatible smaller Hoth set was released concurrently with the UCS Assault on Hoth set). Or...
  3. The standalone Great Hall is identical to/scaled down from the version in the D2C Hogwarts set, as a way of making the most iconic portion of the D2C set accessible at a lower price point.

I bet on the first option.

The most iconic aspects of Hogwarts are the Great Hall and Great Tower. Im honestly surprised the UCS set isn't just these two areas on top of rocks, but having the Great Hall be a separate set will be amazing, leaving more leg room with the castle.

Lego isn't dumb and nowadays is very focused on quality and how true the sets look to the things we see in films. So if the Great Hall is going to be big, so is the rest of the castle compared to it, and quite frankly, the Hall really isn't the largest area, so this set has potential. 

Also, they won't be puling anything like the Death Star set did with the Final Duel set. If Great Hall is a set, it wont be part of the UCS, being they are in the same wave. The original Death Star set came out in 2008 with the Final Duel out in 2015, giving fans a chance to have this iconic scene as a set, rather than part of the whole Death Star. See what I mean?

Also, idk why people are fighting about "scale". Obviously, the set isn't going to be to scale, but hopefully it'll be in a minifigure "scale" like the Death Star.

57 minutes ago, GryffindorResistance said:

The most iconic aspects of Hogwarts are the Great Hall and Great Tower. Im honestly surprised the UCS set isn't just these two areas on top of rocks, but having the Great Hall be a separate set will be amazing, leaving more leg room with the castle.

Lego isn't dumb and nowadays is very focused on quality and how true the sets look to the things we see in films. So if the Great Hall is going to be big, so is the rest of the castle compared to it, and quite frankly, the Hall really isn't the largest area, so this set has potential. 

Also, they won't be puling anything like the Death Star set did with the Final Duel set. If Great Hall is a set, it wont be part of the UCS, being they are in the same wave. The original Death Star set came out in 2008 with the Final Duel out in 2015, giving fans a chance to have this iconic scene as a set, rather than part of the whole Death Star. See what I mean?

Also, idk why people are fighting about "scale". Obviously, the set isn't going to be to scale, but hopefully it'll be in a minifigure "scale" like the Death Star.

I like to call sets like that “minifigure compatible”- nowhere near “minifigure scale”, but huge, detailed, and with lots of playable and displayable space for figures. They will not make a micro scale Hogwarts. A $500 micro scale Hogwarts would not be popular and it would also be a very high price. I think a micro scale one would only be like $150-200. 

Edited by GoldenNinja3000

I would love a Hogswart in the style of the Helicarrier that way you could hopefully have the whole castle with little micro figures as well.  Lego already has micro figures of the HP world from a game right?  Of course if they go that route, they also need to release a nice set of regular figures with a good display stand just like the Helicarrier did.

3 hours ago, GryffindorResistance said:

Yeah, and the Death Star was also the same price so they could fit the same amount or maybe more than what they did in the Death Star

18 hours ago, jdubbs said:

I agree, hope it is 2 :wink:

6 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I like to call sets like that “minifigure compatible”- nowhere near “minifigure scale”, but huge, detailed, and with lots of playable and displayable space for figures.

That was a fitting term :classic:

12 hours ago, Roebuck said:

All that and plenty more they can leave for future add on's, what I expects is something like the 2010 Hogwarts, but with more details. If the 2010 Hogwarts is a normal MF, then the D2C is going to be like the UCS MF :wink:

Did not forget them, and it is going to be expensive, but surprised that the set are so small. Since we have the CMF I was thinking they would not make the smallest sets in a normal wave.. Maybe they want to get kids hooked on the small sets, so they are screaming for the D2C for x-mas :tongue:

the D2C and the great hall are small? 

3 minutes ago, Black Numenorean said:

the D2C and the great hall are small? 

No the rest of the sets, I guess they are since the price points are fairly low.. 

On 09/01/2018 at 3:34 AM, RODDY said:

Mariopower released the UCS list and it said Hogwarts for $500

That's £369 in pounds. Utterly ridiculous - how's anyone supposed to afford that? 

10 minutes ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

That's £369 in pounds. Utterly ridiculous - how's anyone supposed to afford that? 

Some people can afford £650 for the Millennium Falcon. People who were kids when HP first started are now adults... with more disposable income (well, some people, not me sadly).

People are arguing about the Great Hall... maybe Hogwarts will have a “regular” Great Hall, and the set is based on a particular scene? The Yule Ball, maybe, or the final duel with Voldemort?

27 minutes ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Only if we actually get that good an exchange rate- look at the ship in a bottle £69.99/$69.99/€69.99!!

32 minutes ago, Felkin said:

People are arguing about the Great Hall... maybe Hogwarts will have a “regular” Great Hall, and the set is based on a particular scene? The Yule Ball, maybe, or the final duel with Voldemort?

That's an interesting idea! With different minifigs so we're compelled to buy both, of course.

20 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

That's an interesting idea! With different minifigs so we're compelled to buy both, of course.

Of course the minifigures would be different. Maybe Harry and Ron and Hermione will appear in one wearing dress robes and the other in their normal uniforms?

Edited by Feng-huang0296

Guys, All this speculation is nice and so. But we should probably tone down the hype and speculation a bit. There still no solid rumor or leak about this d2c set, For all we know it could be another d2c Disney set or maybe a fantastic beast set. But truly hope for a big Hogwarts set!

Edited by 4nt0n

@4nt0n  I would say that it is a very very good chance thst this will be the Hogwarts castle. Even Brickset says so brickset.com/sets/71043-1/) :)

Edited by ddavid

I think people forget that brickset isnt a reliable source for confirmation. Sometimes they just do name set numbers based on strong rumours with no concrete information

I think the one thing suggesting truth in the D2C rumour is that it's the only rumour there is. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a rumour about a Harry Potter D2C before we got any details confirming there would be an unknown licensed ip D2C? And I'm pretty sure nothing else has been rumoured to be that set. Surely if it was going to be something else there would be rumours going round about that?

37 minutes ago, kirkwoodproductions said:

I think the one thing suggesting truth in the D2C rumour is that it's the only rumour there is. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a rumour about a Harry Potter D2C before we got any details confirming there would be an unknown licensed ip D2C? And I'm pretty sure nothing else has been rumoured to be that set. Surely if it was going to be something else there would be rumours going round about that?

Rumors of HP sets/CMF began in August (see first page of this thread). Of course everyone speculated about how Hogwarts would be handled, and I'm sure many of us hoped for a UCS-size D2C set... whether you'd call that rumors or just wishing is up to you. I do know that the idea really gained traction after the "licensed IP D2C" listing was revealed.

Agree that it's hard to imagine what else it could be, assuming it's not an existing license like Marvel. And given that the first wave of regular HP sets is pretty small, it would make more sense accompanied by a D2C set and CMF line.

22 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

Rumors of HP sets/CMF began in August (see first page of this thread). Of course everyone speculated about how Hogwarts would be handled, and I'm sure many of us hoped for a UCS-size D2C set... whether you'd call that rumors or just wishing is up to you. I do know that the idea really gained traction after the "licensed IP D2C" listing was revealed.

Agree that it's hard to imagine what else it could be, assuming it's not an existing license like Marvel. And given that the first wave of regular HP sets is pretty small, it would make more sense accompanied by a D2C set and CMF line.

Actually . . you might want to check out Brickset's list of D2Cs. 

https://brickset.com/sets/instructions2/year-2018/tag-D2c

I'm not sure if it's official or someone just jumped the gun, but one of them is pretty clearly marked 'HOGWARTS'. 

Brickset is a rumor aggregator, there is nothing substantiating Hogwarts at the moment.

with that said, if the d2c is HP, it’s the most likely set with the train being 2nd most likely imo.