Capt Wolf

[ESL] A Hall for the Colonial Council

Events were moving quickly in Eslandola these days. The king had signed the magna carta, a colonial council was to be formed, and elections to that new governmental body were just around the corner. But where would the new Colonial Council meet?

Gov. Guilder thought he had just the place. Weelond's lecture hall was not heavily used, and it was large enough to host large meetings. Although the meeting location of the new council was likely to rotate throughout the colonies, as Eslandola's oldest colony, Guilder thought Weelond was an appropriate location for the first council session. But where the council would meet was not Guilder's decision to make, so after he had the main hall prepared for the council. he invited several of Eslandola's prominent citizens to an unveiling of the renovated lecture hall. Hopefully they would approve of the Weelond lecture hall as a suitable first location for the new Colonial Council.

Let's go in...

02e.jpg

The lecture dias was perfect for the Admius Legistrad, the council leader. Banners were hung on the back wall, flanking the crossed anchors relief behind the dias.

04e.jpg

MAESTRO representatives discussed matters...

03e.jpg

The large windows along the side walls let in plenty of light. Members of trade companies and independent traders engaged in lively conversation.

06_new2e.jpg

The initial council would have seven delegations of three members each, although an eighth delegation was likely in the future. Desks for each council member were covered with green cloth, and provided an ink well and quill.

98e.jpg

No need for the unused desks to have an ink well, but one of the desks that is supposed to have one is missing it. Perhaps this fellow knows something about that.

05e.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures without the crowd:

95e.jpg

97e.jpg

And a picture with the entry door attached:

99e.jpg

The hall was largely inspired by Independence Hall in Philadelphia. (I've been looking for an excuse to build it in Lego for several years.) The design for the top of the door frames was stolen from Bregir [edit: apparently I stole it from Oleander architects instead]; the design of the fireplaces was largely stolen from Garmadon. I hope my use of several Eslandolan sigfigs was acceptable to those involved.

And since it's hard to classify just what property category "government" falls under, and given the backstory for the build as a lecture hall, I'm licensing the build as a large educational property. Besides, self-governance will certainly be a learning experience! :pir-grin:

Thanks for looking. All C&C welcome!

Very nice build, CW :wub:

I'm loving those desks, the panels underneath the windows, and your choice for the floor color is just brilliant!

Just one thing: your door portal is in fact an Oleander design - the Corries just copied it - so great choice there :thumbup:

Oh, and good luck with this ambitious learning experience :wink: Somehow I'm waiting to see lots and lots of pirates molesting the sea routes to wherever meetings of your council will take place - KaBlam! :grin:

I had concluded it was Independence Hall before I read your end note. So great job on portraying it! The windows are great but how do you do the tips of them? Is that a preformed arched Lego window I'm unaware of or creative use of another piece? 

I like the color choice for the floor and the tables look great. Also the green everywhere sells the faction without being too much. Great job overall.

I do have more one question: does Eslandola have 24 active members to fill all the slots? Or are some if the counxul NPC.

Fantastic council hall Capt Wolf! I’ve never seen Independence Hall, although the green desks reminded me instantly of the Lower House of our own parliament. (The Senate is red while the House of Representatives is green... I think it’s from the British….)

Anyway, the Eslandolan coat of arms is brilliantly reproduced in Lego behind the dias, it’s probably one of my favourite features, and the addition of the front door for the first photo was a great idea.

Keep up the great work!

That front door shot was definitely pretty deceptive as to the size!  Excellent build, Capt Wolf, great to see so many sigfigs (and so accurately built too!  I'm sure I couldn't do nearly as close :grin:), and the ranging desks and architectural details - the windows, the doorposts, etc. - are great as well!  It certainly looks like a worthy place for the Colonial Council to begin its operations! :thumbup:

Oh that is nice!  My US history isn't really all that developed so I've had to go and look up the source material and I can now see that is a fantastic rendition, well done.

Nice to see Alejandro in there with so many of the other sigfigs - I will have to get him out and about on the Brick Seas again very soon.

edit:  Actually that wasn't enough of a comment - these recent builds are really moving the focus in BoBS for the better, there have been so many really high quality builds springing up - I think we may have started to leave behind the large volume of small builds and move into different territory and this looks to be a really positive thing, I would much rather see a few builds like this from each faction a month than loads of quick and easy ones designed for maximum economic in game benefit. :)

Edited by Phadeout

Fantastic build man, lots to love here!  The first picture is a really neat way to introduce it, and the rows of desks look great!  I really like the back wall too, and I'm really impressed by how many sig-figs you've got here!

You really outdid yourself here. I like how you managed to make 4 different coloumns work together. Good story, and nice that you included so many sigfigs (the missing ink well cracked me up) :laugh:

I also appreciate that you make it look like we know what we are doing.

GREAT era-appropriate, "parliamentary" MOC with many details, Capt Wolf! I am starting to think that these settlements are growing beautifully!

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:28 PM, Kolonialbeamter said:

Very nice build, CW :wub:

I'm loving those desks, the panels underneath the windows, and your choice for the floor color is just brilliant!

Just one thing: your door portal is in fact an Oleander design - the Corries just copied it - so great choice there :thumbup:

Oh, and good luck with this ambitious learning experience :wink: Somehow I'm waiting to see lots and lots of pirates molesting the sea routes to wherever meetings of your council will take place - KaBlam! :grin:

Thanks, and my apologies about credit for the door design. Now we just need the Sea Rats to steal it from me and the circle will be complete.

Regarding the floor color, medium dark flesh has become my go-to color for flooring.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:33 PM, SilentWolf said:

I had concluded it was Independence Hall before I read your end note. So great job on portraying it! The windows are great but how do you do the tips of them? Is that a preformed arched Lego window I'm unaware of or creative use of another piece? 

I like the color choice for the floor and the tables look great. Also the green everywhere sells the faction without being too much. Great job overall.

I do have more one question: does Eslandola have 24 active members to fill all the slots? Or are some if the counxul NPC.

Thank you! I'm glad the inspiration for this build was readily recognizable.

The window tops are a new piece that is used in a couple of Friends sets and in the Bank.

And there will only be 7-8 players in the council. Each delegation is one player, but they will have 3 characters each in the council. The Admius Legistrad (i.e., Prime Minister) is the only position that is a single character.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:00 AM, Ayrlego said:

Fantastic council hall Capt Wolf! I’ve never seen Independence Hall, although the green desks reminded me instantly of the Lower House of our own parliament. (The Senate is red while the House of Representatives is green... I think it’s from the British….)

Anyway, the Eslandolan coat of arms is brilliantly reproduced in Lego behind the dias, it’s probably one of my favourite features, and the addition of the front door for the first photo was a great idea.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks! I was a bit worried about the coat of arms. I'd still like to come up with a better design, but this one is getting the job done.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 4:38 AM, Garmadon said:

That front door shot was definitely pretty deceptive as to the size!  Excellent build, Capt Wolf, great to see so many sigfigs (and so accurately built too!  I'm sure I couldn't do nearly as close :grin:), and the ranging desks and architectural details - the windows, the doorposts, etc. - are great as well!  It certainly looks like a worthy place for the Colonial Council to begin its operations! :thumbup:

Thanks! Your recent builds with the king inspired me a lot on what I could do with details. I think the candlestick design I used is also adapted from one of your build.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:24 AM, Kai NRG said:

Fantastic build man, lots to love here!  The first picture is a really neat way to introduce it, and the rows of desks look great!  I really like the back wall too, and I'm really impressed by how many sig-figs you've got here!

Thanks! I came up with the door idea for the teaser and intro shot in part because I had reached a stage of the build where I could put together a nice scene if I kept the scope limited. I'm glad it worked so well. And I've noted before that I love working other people's sigfigs into builds. This was just too good an opportunity, and the hall looks much better with figures in it.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 5:26 AM, Phadeout said:

Oh that is nice!  My US history isn't really all that developed so I've had to go and look up the source material and I can now see that is a fantastic rendition, well done.

Nice to see Alejandro in there with so many of the other sigfigs - I will have to get him out and about on the Brick Seas again very soon.

edit:  Actually that wasn't enough of a comment - these recent builds are really moving the focus in BoBS for the better, there have been so many really high quality builds springing up - I think we may have started to leave behind the large volume of small builds and move into different territory and this looks to be a really positive thing, I would much rather see a few builds like this from each faction a month than loads of quick and easy ones designed for maximum economic in game benefit. :)

Thanks. Glad you spotted Alejandro in there. And while I don't want to do builds of this size all the time, I know that I couldn't have done nearly as well on this build a year ago. I've picked up a lot of tricks and techniques in BoBS.

19 hours ago, Sir Stig said:

You really outdid yourself here. I like how you managed to make 4 different coloumns work together. Good story, and nice that you included so many sigfigs (the missing ink well cracked me up) :laugh:

I also appreciate that you make it look like we know what we are doing.

Thanks. I noticed I was one inkwell short after I had taken most of the pics, but I had posed one character as reaching for one, so I worked it into the story. And if I save this long enough to illustrate some action in the council later, we may not look like we know what we're doing then! :pir-grin:

3 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

GREAT era-appropriate, "parliamentary" MOC with many details, Capt Wolf! I am starting to think that these settlements are growing beautifully!

Thanks!

Great looking council hall, Capt Wolf. And while it comes as no surprise that a lecture hall isn't exactly over-used in Eslandola, the Royal Society is hoping that education will not be entirely passed over as the politicians move in! :pir-blush:

I like the dual fireplaces, the windows, the neatly arranged tables, and the speakers stand. And, at least until the councilmen arrives, it looks very orderly and civilised. However, I am sure the people most profiting from this will be the cleaners, when you people start throwing rotten fruits at each other during arguments! :tongue:

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:21 PM, Capt Wolf said:

The design for the top of the door frames was stolen from Bregir;

As much as I appreciate the credits, I am pretty sure I never used that technique, however much I wish I had! :tongue:

Edited by Bregir

Excellent hall, Capt Wolf!

The reference to Independence Hall is obvious and well built!  I particularly like the desks and inkwells with quills.  The use of an exact pattern on the tops of the desks really makes them interesting!  The green makes the desks stand out and is a great way to incorporate Eslandola's color without being glaring or out of place.  The door looks very interesting, as does the crossing-anchors over the main platform.

Wow wow. That is really great.

The overall layout is excellent. A very clever build indeed.

And I love the fact that so many sigfigs are appearing!

One of the finest efforts I have seen in this year on BoBS. :pir-sweet:

(ok, one drawback: no monkey!)

On 12/13/2016 at 10:04 AM, Bregir said:

Great looking council hall, Capt Wolf. And while it comes as no surprise that a lecture hall isn't exactly over-used in Eslandola, the Royal Society is hoping that education will not be entirely passed over as the politicians move in! :pir-blush:

I like the dual fireplaces, the windows, the neatly arranged tables, and the speakers stand. And, at least until the councilmen arrives, it looks very orderly and civilised. However, I am sure the people most profiting from this will be the cleaners, when you people start throwing rotten fruits at each other during arguments! :tongue:

As much as I appreciate the credits, I am pretty sure I never used that technique, however much I wish I had! :tongue:

Thanks. I thought you might be amused that the lecture hall is under-utilized.:pir-grin:  And I've edited the credit for the door technique.

On 12/13/2016 at 0:14 PM, Slegengr said:

Excellent hall, Capt Wolf!

The reference to Independence Hall is obvious and well built!  I particularly like the desks and inkwells with quills.  The use of an exact pattern on the tops of the desks really makes them interesting!  The green makes the desks stand out and is a great way to incorporate Eslandola's color without being glaring or out of place.  The door looks very interesting, as does the crossing-anchors over the main platform.

Thanks. I was concerned there might be too much green, so the desk tops are the only green I used. the desktop pattern came about by accident, but once I hit it I made sure to duplicate it.

On 12/13/2016 at 0:35 PM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Wow wow. That is really great.

The overall layout is excellent. A very clever build indeed.

And I love the fact that so many sigfigs are appearing!

One of the finest efforts I have seen in this year on BoBS. :pir-sweet:

(ok, one drawback: no monkey!)

Doh! I forgot the monkey! You'll just have to get elected to the council.

And thanks for the high praise!

On 12/13/2016 at 2:08 PM, Captain Green Hair said:

This looks very convincing, well done! I love the flooring in medium dark flesh.

Thanks! As noted above, that has become my favorite flooring color; it's my third recent build using it.

Excellent build !

The double anchor blason is great ! And the floor is also great with all those medium dark flesh tiles !

I see you used many sigfigs ! Great to see Felipe there always holding an apple !

Great job !

Amazing creation. I especially love how you've included my good Román Esteban Fontonajo!

I really don't know what to like most about this - the entrance, the huge windows, the podium, the desks, the chimneys with the banners and the anchor up front, the doorframes.

Absolutely brilliant MOC overall, fantastic work!

Not sure about "educational" though, might politics get their own category for licensing?

3 minutes ago, Elostirion said:

Not sure about "educational" though, might politics get their own category for licensing?

Personally, I think political buildings are part of Art and Culture.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 3:10 AM, Faladrin said:

Excellent build !

The double anchor blason is great ! And the floor is also great with all those medium dark flesh tiles !

I see you used many sigfigs ! Great to see Felipe there always holding an apple !

Great job !

Thank you. I had to get Felipe and his apple into the scene!

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:37 AM, Elostirion said:

Amazing creation. I especially love how you've included my good Román Esteban Fontonajo!

I really don't know what to like most about this - the entrance, the huge windows, the podium, the desks, the chimneys with the banners and the anchor up front, the doorframes.

Absolutely brilliant MOC overall, fantastic work!

Thank you. I really enjoyed working with the type of details that make some of the other interior builds so good, such as the door frames and candle holders. The big windows we re fun, too. I wanted to work with a bit more detail on the desks and chairs, but ultimately I decided to keep them simple so the scale worked with minifigs. This is a scene meant to be viewed with minifigs, and I hope I can keep this together long enough to post an image of the first council.