Stash2Sixx

Rogue One movie discussion thread

I saw the movie last friday and absolutely loved almost every part about it :wub:

From the moment on I saw Tarkin there was a smile on my face for the rest of them movie xD

Weird the Tie Strikers only appear for a few seconds... Would have preferred they switched those for normal Tie's, and the Tie Striker transport for a Imperial Landing Craft or so.

I think it's ironic that when Tarkin jumps in with the Death Star on Scarif the imperial officer asks Tarkin if he should start taking down rebel ships but he prefers to target the planet because of his hatred to Krennic... Would he have targeted the Calamari Rebel Flagship Profundity he would have prevented the Death Star plans from falling in the hands of the Rebellion and thus preventing his own death...

Edited by TWP

2 hours ago, Helghan said:

Dear God did you seriously put TFA over the ORIGINAL? 

I'd put it above the Special Edition of ANH.  Stupid Lucas.

2 hours ago, Helghan said:

Edited by quark12000

2 hours ago, TWP said:

I saw the movie last friday and absolutely loved almost every part about it :wub:

From the moment on I saw Tarkin there was a smile on my face for the rest of them movie xD

Weird the Tie Strikers only appear for a few seconds... Would have preferred they switched those for normal Tie's, and the Tie Striker transport for a Imperial Landing Craft or so.

I think it's ironic that when Tarkin jumps in with the Death Star on Scarif the imperial officer asks Tarkin if he should start taking down rebel ships but he prefers to target the planet because of his hatred to Krennic... Would he have targeted the Calamari Rebel Flagship Profundity he would have prevented the Death Star plans from falling in the hands of the Rebellion and thus preventing his own death...

The one thing with Star Wars is that we have to take it with a grain of salt. If characters reacted and did what they would do in real life. The Empire would have won and the saga would have ended at ANH (well technically R1 now).

23 hours ago, Helghan said:

2 hours ago, quark12000 said:

I'd put it above the Special Edition of ANH.  Stupid Lucas.

I agree on that front. I really hope to see an original cut of A New Hope. The tatooine scenes are just terrible to watch at this point. however, I do have a soft point for the original.

1) empire

2) A New Hope

3) Rogue One

4) The Force Awakens

5) Return of the Jedi (I like the second half only; the dialogue for the whole movie is pretty bad though)

6) No I won't number the prequels

Edited by Brickweiser

On 12/19/2016 at 9:52 PM, Error404 said:

I think CGI-Tarkin worked surprisingly well. I've seen others say it doesn't look 100% authentic, but I think it's by far good enough to make it seem realistic.

I think it was done well enough that I didn't notice it or distracted me from the story.

18 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

I think it was done well enough that I didn't notice it or distracted me from the story.

Just curious -- did you know the actor (Peter Cushing) who played Tarkin is already dead?

9 hours ago, Helghan said:

Dear God did you seriously put TFA over the ORIGINAL? 

Yes. Easily. The Force Awakens is an improved version of A New Hope. I put Revenge of the Sith above ANH & RotJ as well. Because from the order 66 moment on Revenge of the Sith is the most brutal & grimdark movie in the whole saga.

Oh, check out Valerian and the City of Thousand Planets next year, the comic of that movie is where Lucas got his Star Wars inspiration from in the first place. ;)

The original cut of a new hope along with the rrst of the original trilogy was released as a limited edition two disc dvd with the the special edition on one disc and the originl on the other. This came out in the US maybe seven years ago but i've seen it around online and at second hand stores reasonably price.

Untampered with A New Hope is untouchable.

Actually its funny original Han Solo, before Lucas tried to make him nicer, was more cold blooded like Cassian.

4 hours ago, Forresto said:

Actually its funny original Han Solo, before Lucas tried to make him nicer, was more cold blooded like Cassian.

Funny that you mentioned that about Han. On the other side of the spectrum, Chewie was supposedly much nicer. You should watch the Holiday Special! :grin:

There are some videos on Youtube showcasing the scenes and dialogues that didn't make the final cut of Rogue One. The tone is slightly different and whether it is due to reshoots or intentional to hide the true plot -- I like to know what changed. 

14 hours ago, horizon said:

Yes. Easily. The Force Awakens is an improved version of A New Hope. I put Revenge of the Sith above ANH & RotJ as well. Because from the order 66 moment on Revenge of the Sith is the most brutal & grimdark movie in the whole saga.

Oh, check out Valerian and the City of Thousand Planets next year, the comic of that movie is where Lucas got his Star Wars inspiration from in the first place. ;)

Sorry but that's utterly inconceivable to me. The Force Awakens is by far the biggest disappointment in the franchise. It's success proved people don't care about a coherent plot as long as "muh practical effects" or "muh nostalgia". Mind you, if you haven't seen the original movies in their unaltered glory, you really have not seen Star Wars.

Furthermore, there's zero excuse for not seeing the unaltered versions as I know they were out on DVD as far back as '07.

On 12/21/2016 at 2:54 AM, makoy said:

Just curious -- did you know the actor (Peter Cushing) who played Tarkin is already dead?

Actually I forgot he died back in the 1990s. Interestingly when he first appeared on screen, I thought oh they got him in the movie and didn't think much else of it. I wonder if his estate gets any royalties for the use of his likeness in the movie.

On 20-12-2016 at 2:09 AM, Helghan said:

I'm glad they did it. Star Wars fans can be some of the most downright unrealistic fans ever...the Empire is the most powerful organization in the galaxy at the time. If they seriously cake walked it like they did in the OT I would have walked out. Simple as that.

So....because I think that's a negative thing I'm a 'downright unrealistic fan'? :laugh: You don't even know what my reasons are...

On 21-12-2016 at 11:50 PM, Helghan said:

Sorry but that's utterly inconceivable to me. The Force Awakens is by far the biggest disappointment in the franchise. It's success proved people don't care about a coherent plot as long as "muh practical effects" or "muh nostalgia". Mind you, if you haven't seen the original movies in their unaltered glory, you really have not seen Star Wars.

Furthermore, there's zero excuse for not seeing the unaltered versions as I know they were out on DVD as far back as '07.

lolz. I grew up with the original unaltered trilogy. So yes, I see the bare sets, the poor acting of Mark Hamill (his Joker is ace though!), the so-called light saber duel between Obi-Wan & Darth Vader (get back into that bacta tank asap! ;) ) and the cheesy ending celebrations. And yes I still like that movie. :)

Oh did you know that iffy thing: there is this kid being called Skywalker by everyone and just lives on that planet. And Darth Vader nor an Imperial officer would've checked out someone with that last name.... still like it, though. Why? Because it is an entertaining movie, it is a milestone in sci-fi movie history, it's awesome. Same applies to the Force Awakens: an excellent entertaining space adventure. And yes it re-uses a lot from a New Hope, that's cool. Lucas used Valerian and a City of a thousand planets as well.

edit: back to Rogue One: funny to watch some of the trailers. The unused material in the movie is quite a bit. Saw grew some hair as well. :)

Been a week since I saw Rogue One. Is getting better. :)

Edited by horizon
just because

I think it is a little sad that nowadays (and I do blame the modern internet culture for this), everyone has to voice his or her opinion by trashtalking something. "X is sooo good, it utterly destroys Y", "Y is so great it wipes the floor with X easily", and so on. Like, I loved The Force Awakens, and I love Rogue One now, but I don't feel the need to put more weight to my opinion by emphasizing how much better RO is than TFA. I can enjoy both without attesting clear superiority to one over the other. I wish people would return more to celebrating something without belittling something else at the same time.

Having said that, I walked out of the theater the first time thinking it was cool, but by now I think it is excellent. I really, really enjoy Rogue One and have seen it two times now, I will soon go a third time and maybe even a fourth, which would be the most time I've seen a movie in cinemas.

On 12/21/2016 at 0:34 PM, makoy said:

...On the other side of the spectrum, Chewie was supposedly much nicer. You should watch the Holiday Special! :grin:

Noooooo.  Don't make us watch that again.   We'll tell you the location of the secret Rebel base.  

Unfortunately for Alderaan, Tarkin was unaware of the Holiday Special.

1 hour ago, dr_spock said:

Noooooo.  Don't make us watch that again.   We'll tell you the location of the secret Rebel base.  

Unfortunately for Alderaan, Tarkin was unaware of the Holiday Special.

I think it's not even canon from the moment it was aired so Alderaan is still destined to blow up... speaking of Alderaan, I was hopping that Bail Organa would say he will go to another planet so that there is still a chance he escaped somehow... but of course he will be in Alderaan.

On 12/22/2016 at 11:33 PM, dr_spock said:

Actually I forgot he died back in the 1990s. Interestingly when he first appeared on screen, I thought oh they got him in the movie and didn't think much else of it. I wonder if his estate gets any royalties for the use of his likeness in the movie.

That's the thing about the uncanny valley. If you don't know you are watching a dead person reanimated on-screen there is a much bigger chance you won't notice it or the effect is less jarring. On my first viewing the fact that the actor is already dead didn't sink in to me because of how "almost perfect" the rendering is. What gave away that it is just CGI is the slightly bad lip sync with the dialogue. 

14 hours ago, Jedi-Bendu said:

So....because I think that's a negative thing I'm a 'downright unrealistic fan'? :laugh: You don't even know what my reasons are...

...Christ, it was a general statement regarding fans being unable to handle a protagonist character's death (read: Han Solo). Your comment was just an example.  If it applies to you then I don't know what you want me to say.

7 hours ago, horizon said:

lolz. I grew up with the original unaltered trilogy. So yes, I see the bare sets, the poor acting of Mark Hamill (his Joker is ace though!), the so-called light saber duel between Obi-Wan & Darth Vader (get back into that bacta tank asap! ;) ) and the cheesy ending celebrations. And yes I still like that movie. :)

Oh did you know that iffy thing: there is this kid being called Skywalker by everyone and just lives on that planet. And Darth Vader nor an Imperial officer would've checked out someone with that last name.... still like it, though. Why? Because it is an entertaining movie, it is a milestone in sci-fi movie history, it's awesome. Same applies to the Force Awakens: an excellent entertaining space adventure. And yes it re-uses a lot from a New Hope, that's cool. Lucas used Valerian and a City of a thousand planets as well.

edit: back to Rogue One: funny to watch some of the trailers. The unused material in the movie is quite a bit. Saw grew some hair as well. :)

Been a week since I saw Rogue One. Is getting better. :)

I guess it boils down to what you expect out of a franchise and the direction it moves in. I care more about the plot and the way the universe actually shifts than I do how pretty it looks or how "family fun!" it is. To each his own though :)

I loved Rogue One. I came in not expecting much more than TFA, but it was wonderful. CGI Tarkin was necessary and was well-done, 95% realistic. Princess Leia was also well-done, but was just jarring enough (and unnecessary) that I think it would have been better to just show her from behind. Some cameos were fine (Chopper, the Ghost, etc.),  but others were stupid and unnecessary (Evazan and Baba, R2 and 3PO), but tolerable. It also bothered me how unlikable many of the rebels were - some were understandable, to make them seem real and compare them to the middle-east and such, but others made them seem annoying and petty instead. I liked how the movie also patched up some holes in ANH, most notably the existence of the design flaw in the first place. Although I saw the ending coming, it was great and very emotional - each death was perfect. In fact, I'd say the entire Scariff sequence was flawless.

The first half was not as good, unfortunately. There's nothing inherently wrong with it - it just could have been a bit better. The plot was fine, but I feel like I could have had more attachment to the characters. Saw's relationship with Jyn needed more depth, as did his tactics (that octopus thing seemed jarring - although I understand the point was to make him seem morally gray, without explanation it just made him seem cruel and crazy). Nonetheless, the acting and the main story were effectively written and still managed to make me feel affection for the characters. Any bad memories of the first half were completely washed out by the second half, which was perfect.

My ranking is ESB, ANH, RotJ/R1, RotS/TFA, TPM, AotC - I haven't rewatched the originals for awhile, and although their action sequences weren't as impressive, it's unfair to count that against them as they came out so long ago and pioneered the entire saga. They get credit for creating their own stories. The reason why R1 is behind the original is that in the originals the characters were more filled-out. In ANH, for example, we are introduced to Luke as he complains about not being allowed to go to the Academy and how he wants to get off the planet and do something with his life - even though it's a short introduction, it's effective. Leia instantly is introduced as a confident person who cares about everyone else as she stands in front of Vader. Han is introduced in the bar as being strapped of cash and caring mostly about his own skin, and not caring about taking a life to do so. That's why his return at the end of the trench run is so important - it shows that he actually does care about other people, even if he hides it.

In Rogue One, we don't get quite the affinity for the characters. We know Jyn lost her family to the Empire and spent some time with Saw's rebel cell, and Saw's abandonment of her is mentioned, but we don't know what their relationship was. For some reason she became a petty criminal after she left the cell, and at the time of the movie she's sort of lost and doesn't know what to do with her life. I guess that's enough of a backstory for her - the real problem, once again, is Saw.

It's impossible to develop every character, so the rest was OK.  I don't quite understand where Chirrut and Baze come from; they had something to do with that temple on Jedha, but I didn't really catch what or why they should matter to me. We didn't really need to know any more than that, so I was content. Likewise, not much to explain about K2-SO.

More problematic is Cassian. He's very loyal to the alliance and in the movie has to learn to think for himself. So what? We have no backstory whatsoever. He mentions how he was on his own at 6 because of the Empire, but that's all we know. If they had made us understand Cassian the movie would have been equal to the original.

Finally, Bodhi the pilot - he seems unnecessary and tacked on to the plot. Why did they need a physical defector? It seems like they just needed a character who knew how to fly imperial ships and such and decided to add him in. Why did he care enough to defect? How did he know Galen? Wasn't the octopus thing supposed to permanently mess up his brain? Things like this are what made the first half weak.

To summarize my wall of text, R1 needed more backstory, mostly for Saw, Cassian, and Bodhi. Their absence weakened the first half and made the struggle seem less real. However, the second half and ending were so wonderful that it completely covers up the shortcomings of the first half and raises the movie to a new level. If the entire movie had been as good as the second half I think it would have been as good as, if not better, than ESB.

As for the LEGO sets - Krennic's shuttle, the AT-ST, Y-wing, and Striker match what we saw on screen very well; any flaws they had were visible before. The tank of course could have had better hatches, and I think it should have had room for a tank commander, but for its size it's as good as possible. The U-Wing has imperfections, but is still a fine set and good for its size. Battle on Scarif is very nice for its size, and lack of interior doesn't bother me there the way it did for Takodana, as it didn't really have one in the movie. Minifigures - I think there's been good coverage of everyone for the most part. I'd like Saw and Galen of course, and I think it'd be a good opportunity to get Bail, different imperial officers, and such, but mostly good.

The only glaring omission in terms of sets is the cargo transport. It's a cool ship seen over and over in the movie, and it plays such an important role. AT-ACT, TIE boarding craft, death trooper TIE, and prison transport turbo tank are all cool and feasible sets, but I figure they're too similar to existing sets and only appear for a few seconds, so we won't get them for a while if at all. I'd also love another (bigger) Imperial base or Vader's sanctum, but I'm guessing the Battle on Scarif and DS mean that's not happening.

I guess I got carried away! :laugh:

My two biggest gripe with the movie: Saw Guerrera and the first act pacing.

Was there any motivation on why he wished to stay back? I could have seen his crazy butt leading his terrorists band ( his alien captain gets SO MUCH screen time, it's criminal they were not fighting at the end ) on Scariff helping Jyn and the rest of the group, only to get mowed down by Death troopers, which would have gotten them more screen time. 

And the first act: more character depht would have been nice, like seeing lil Jyn playing with his father would have been a sweet moment and improved their relationship before Krennic arrives. Cassian was depicted as a rutheless assassin's up to the middle of the movie and I thought the gang could have yelled more at each other after Eadu, for good reasons. 

Definitly some good moments in the first act but it suffers from some issues.