The landscape for this scene was built as a commission, and then I finished the build by adding some houses, the fences, and figure activity. After learning that medieval roads often had fences or walls to allow animals to be moved effectively, I wanted to include that detail here. Brother Steven inspired the woodwork on the water mill. This is an entry into the large miscellaneous category of the Colossal Castle Contest.

Market day makes for a lot of traffic on the village road as animals are taken to be sold, or purchased and brought home. The watermill is also a popular location as villagers purchase flour and bring grain to be ground.

overview-1.jpg

Back-1.jpg

Low-2.jpg

Wave.jpg

Cowherd.jpg

girl2.jpg

squirrel.jpg

As usual, there are more pictures on brickbuilt.

Your feedback is always welcome :classic:

Very nice build, SK!

I never knew you switched guilds! :look:  This is a nice set of Avalonian houses!  I like the different techniques used on the structures, as well as the different color schemes.  The stream is beautiful with the trans-light blue base with trans-invisible rapids and waterfalls.  The foliage really makes this stand out as an Avalonian location.  The fence with the round bricks works well here.  The flexing trees look very realistic!

The watermill is the highlight here!  The design for the waterwheel is perfect.  Adding decorations with the brown flower pieces is a great addition.

I noticed that the photos have had the background edited out because there are a few sections where the background seems to have been missed.  You might want to fix those areas (I have certainly made the same mistake before) :wink:

Nice peaceful build SK, the trees look great and the tudor sections of the buildings are well done! :thumbup: 

Even building in a different guild, you still manage to nail it! The buildings are very nice, but especially the diverse flora and fauna give a perfect Avalonian feel! Not to mention the subtle but perfect minifig posing and expressions :thumbup:

20 hours ago, Slegengr said:

Very nice build, SK!

I never knew you switched guilds! :look:  This is a nice set of Avalonian houses!  I like the different techniques used on the structures, as well as the different color schemes.  The stream is beautiful with the trans-light blue base with trans-invisible rapids and waterfalls.  The foliage really makes this stand out as an Avalonian location.  The fence with the round bricks works well here.  The flexing trees look very realistic!

The watermill is the highlight here!  The design for the waterwheel is perfect.  Adding decorations with the brown flower pieces is a great addition.

I noticed that the photos have had the background edited out because there are a few sections where the background seems to have been missed.  You might want to fix those areas (I have certainly made the same mistake before) :wink:

Thanks Slegengr, and don't worry, I'm not leaving Mitgardia :laugh: I usually only remove the outermost portion of the background, so the sections inside, like under the trees here, are left as they are. I suppose I might want to rework how I do that.

19 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Nice peaceful build SK, the trees look great and the tudor sections of the buildings are well done! :thumbup: 

Thanks Kai :classic:

19 hours ago, Legofin2012 said:

Even building in a different guild, you still manage to nail it! The buildings are very nice, but especially the diverse flora and fauna give a perfect Avalonian feel! Not to mention the subtle but perfect minifig posing and expressions :thumbup:

Thanks Legofin, I had fun with the minifig posing so I'm glad you like it :classic:

18 hours ago, Alfadas said:

Very nice build!

Thanks Alfadas!

47 minutes ago, soccerkid6 said:

I usually only remove the outermost portion of the background, so the sections inside, like under the trees here, are left as they are. I suppose I might want to rework how I do that.

I understand this.  The same predicament has occurred on my pictures.  Originally, I tried to remove the backgrounds, but I eventually decided that it can leave a dirty appearance around the build where the background is slightly too dark to remove.  I am still trying to get a photo shooting setup like Gideon's, as his photography is top-notch!  This involves making the background part of the image so it does not have to be edited out.

Your images are not bad, but it does bother me that patches are left between trees and there are "dirty" spots around the base where most of the background was edited out.  This probably mostly bothers me because I have fought the same issue and am a bit of a perfectionist. :wink:

Now, back to discussing this amazing MOC...:thumbup:

Excellent scene, Isaac :thumbup: The overall layout with the angled buildings is superb, and the waterfalls are great too. 
The bridge and fence designs are simple yet very nice as well :classic:

Nice build, SK! Good to see you building in Avalonia, where things are green, rather than the frosty tundra of the north. I enjoy the green building and the upper story of the mill, but the near-even distribution of light and dark grey, especially all roughly 2x2 brick size, seems less than ideal to my eye. I think picking one grey to be dominant and then using the other as an accent would look better, or an even distribution with smaller chunks. The other area that seems to be improvable is the water; I know it is the style you picked, but the surface of the water is so rough when a smooth surface would have complemented the tranquil pastoral scene better (except around the waterfalls, of course). 

That being said, I think the composition and arrangement are superb, and the variation of trees is lovely. In fact, I was looking at your trees thinking of how to copy them somewhat (I love trees, but do not have enough leaves for the size of tree that I want, but yours are smaller and still look nice). 

Very nice build, though I'll be honest: I prefer your Mitgardian builds, they have just that little edge. That being said, I absolutely love the vegetation here, the roof of the green house is awesome and the fences make for a very intresting story!

Awesome job Isaac! Great build! As you probably know, I love the fence a lot... And, I am on here now too! Well, that is, I am going to try and start getting semi-active... :)

nice to see you building in Avalonia! The houses are very interesting, but for some reasons my favourite part has to be the little bridge! :wub: