Henjin_Quilones

Nocturnus Minichallenge IIIB: The Pies of the Spiderwitch

The Pies of the Spiderwitch

(on behalf of the Resistance)

Somewhere in southern Nocturnus, perhaps nestled into the tumbled foothills of the Rakath Mountains, or perhaps near the shores of the salty sea, dwells the Spiderwitch. No one quite knows where she came from, or what she is precisely, or even how long she has dwelt in her halls of weathered stone; but everyone knows to avoid the roads and paths that lead to her treacherous snares. That being said, it seems, for the unwary traveler, especially those merry men from Avalonia come to fight in the civil war, that all paths for miles around lead inexorably towards her tower, as though drawn to the center of a vast web, no matter which direction one turns or how quickly one runs. It is said that she prefers it when they run. She likes the excitement. 

It is also said about her that no one has ever tasted a pumpkin pie better than that of the Spiderwitch. The veracity of those accounts may be doubted, as no one has ever left from her den alive to spread the tale abroad, but those same rumor-mongers quickly add that no one leaves because they cannot bear to live without the pie. The pumpkin pie is so magical, so enchanted, that even the hideous form of the Spiderwitch is rapturous in its beauty and charm to those under its spell, and the men and elves, and everyone else, never leave because they are so in love with her. So love has blinded them. 

29957473676_8c8e5b6ca7_z.jpg

But who can truly say? If you ever care for a bite, stop by. You might just find yourself a permanent inhabitant. Or ingredient. Bon appétit

29957474456_460dd98a4e_c.jpg

29908263421_0823a9d12c_c.jpg

29957475346_e9d52b1a58_c.jpg

Occasionally the Spiderwitch has been known to forget the pumpkins altogether, substituting other, just as tasty, ingredients. But usually she just puts everything into the pie and says the right spells...

29908262501_0f00b6b444_z.jpg

29908261431_20b018b0c5_c.jpg

Edit:

In case anyone is wondering how to properly make a pie of this sort, here is the recipe:

6 Avalonian heads, drained

3 medium sized pumpkins, baked and blended

2 c. green slime

2 c. beer

3/4 c. dragon horn, powdered

6 c. shredded carrots

3 stewed orc tongues

5 c. fireweed stalks, diced and cooked

8 c. sugar

1 c. cobweb

2 medium dragon eggs

3 tbsp. cinnamon

1 tbsp. nutmeg

1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract

2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. pixy dust

1 pinch eye of newt

Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix all the wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl, mix together the dry ingredients and then gently mix into the wet, being careful to stir briskly to avoid clumps. Grease a large pie pan and pour in the pie mix while muttering the crust incantations. Bake for 45 minutes or until the center is firm. Allow to cool for several hours. 

Serving suggestion: Whipped Avalonian blood topping and a nice pumpkin spice beer to wash it down. Serves 10-15.

__________________________________________________________________________________

....................................................................................................................................................................

Thanks for looking! C&C welcome. There are more pictures on Flickr, too, if you click on any of the pictures above. I do not have a light brick, but by shining a flashlight through the back of the oven I thought it created a nice fiery glow. 

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

Looks excellent!  The stairs and floor tiling are my favourite part, particularly the stairs as they really look remarkably like a spiral staircase!  

3 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Gorgeous entry! I love the two levels and all the details along the walls!

Thank you! I must say that I was inspired in part by your own pie build. 

1 hour ago, The Maestro said:

Nice entry Henjin, great detail. Looks like some tough compition, but then again my dwarves are pretty good at bribing :tongue:

We shall see what kind of bribery I can conjure up for part C. Competition makes everyone better, I think. I hope you can surpass this build, Maestro!

27 minutes ago, BrickCurve said:

Looks excellent!  The stairs and floor tiling are my favourite part, particularly the stairs as they really look remarkably like a spiral staircase!  

Thank you, BC! I did not fully intend that for the staircase, but am not displeased with the result. I have enough slopes that I could probably do a better job of it, if I were trying to. 

8 minutes ago, Mpyromaxos said:

amazing creation! loved the interior and the Spiderwitch!! :pir-wub:

Thank you! I needed something more than just an orc or something common...

Wonderful entry, Henjin! :wub: The build is packed full of detail, but some of my favorites are the staircase, wooden rafters with nets hanging from them, the use of dark orange hair in the black pot, and the shelf of various ingredients above the oven. The tunnel opening with steps leading down into the darkness below is a nice touch as well. :thumbup:

Awesome build Henjin! The Spiderwitch is such a lively character and of other details I really like the stairs and the lime drain/sewege stream :classic:

And I like how Spiderwitch keeps everything nice and tidy :D

Also, pink teapot :pir-wub:

Split level interiors are great :wub: Lots of lovely details all around here! My favorites are the curving stairs, barred window, railing detailing (SNOT stone section under it included), and the wooden rafters with webs and chains :thumbup:

Very neat build, and I love the witch! Is she family from my own cyclops/spider cross-over?

woha, I love the idea just as much as the execution! There are so many nice details - they kept me watching for ages, I swear!

What a lovely build! She has a wonderful kitchen. Don't want to be rude, just curious.:grin: Just the good old "bad habits". She isn't using any flour, or butter for the dough? Or the list contains someting what replace them? And I see, she is lacking of tools, or she is using only magic?

17 hours ago, LittleJohn said:

Wonderful entry, Henjin! :wub: The build is packed full of detail, but some of my favorites are the staircase, wooden rafters with nets hanging from them, the use of dark orange hair in the black pot, and the shelf of various ingredients above the oven. The tunnel opening with steps leading down into the darkness below is a nice touch as well. :thumbup:

Thanks, LJ! I am glad you noticed the hair--it looks remarkably like the cooked strands of pumpkin, in my opinion. 

7 hours ago, Hexx said:

Awesome build Henjin! The Spiderwitch is such a lively character and of other details I really like the stairs and the lime drain/sewege stream :classic:

And I like how Spiderwitch keeps everything nice and tidy :D

Also, pink teapot :pir-wub:

Thanks! The lime green river was the first part of the build I made, and the rest, so to speak, flowed from there. 

7 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

Split level interiors are great :wub: Lots of lovely details all around here! My favorites are the curving stairs, barred window, railing detailing (SNOT stone section under it included), and the wooden rafters with webs and chains :thumbup:

Thanks, SK! Split levels allow for more detail to be seen and appreciated, since some things do not get lost behind others. And the window was one of my favorite parts, too. 

6 hours ago, narbilu said:

A stunning build with so much to watch. Something happening in every corner! Wow... :cry_happy:

I am glad you looked, Narbilu, and even more pleased you liked it. 

5 hours ago, TitusV said:

Very neat build, and I love the witch! Is she family from my own cyclops/spider cross-over?

Thanks, Titus! I am not sure I know of your cyclops/spider crossover, but anything is possible...

3 hours ago, en_zoo said:

woha, I love the idea just as much as the execution! There are so many nice details - they kept me watching for ages, I swear!

Thanks for watching, En_zoo!

36 minutes ago, kahir88 said:

What a lovely build! She has a wonderful kitchen. Don't want to be rude, just curious.:grin: Just the good old "bad habits". She isn't using any flour, or butter for the dough? Or the list contains someting what replace them? And I see, she is lacking of tools, or she is using only magic?

Witches don't need flour or butter if they do not want it, obviously...

Perhaps the fireweed stalks replicate part of it, held together by the powdered dragon horn? But mostly it is just magic. She is a witch, after all. The staff is useful for stirring, and she loves nothing more than cutting things to bits with her spells. I'm glad you like the build, though!

Wow, so much to like in one build, so many great details! And the build as a whole looks fantastic too, the two floor levels, massive stone oven, and the use of the Ursula minifig works perfectly here! A very nice build indeed :sweet:

Great use of the orangish dome piece as pie crust, and the atmosphere is so Ghoulishly pleasant. 

On 10/7/2016 at 5:08 PM, Legofin2012 said:

Wow, so much to like in one build, so many great details! And the build as a whole looks fantastic too, the two floor levels, massive stone oven, and the use of the Ursula minifig works perfectly here! A very nice build indeed :sweet:

I'm glad you like the details, Legofin! They are the fun part to add at the very end, filling out the space that has been created to bring it to life. And I love the Ursula minifig as the perfect evil witch character, together with the Maleficent one too. 

On 10/7/2016 at 5:11 PM, Blufiji said:

Great use of the orangish dome piece as pie crust, and the atmosphere is so Ghoulishly pleasant. 

Thanks, Blufiji! I was initially sad that I did not have the pie piece, but then I realized that I could use those pieces and make massive pies instead! More pumpkin for everyone!