Capt Wolf

[ESL-FB3] Market house on the village green

It’s market day in Weelond!

01_front.jpg

Residents have come to the market house on the village green to sell their wares. The ground floor of the market house is used to store goods, and the archways also serve as vendor stalls on market days. The 2nd floor of the market house is used as a meeting place for town elders and for community events.

Some days there might be people selling animal skins and furs, leather goods, iron cooking pots, and other artisan goods, but today it looks like it’s farm produce day.

02_left_front.jpg

As we walk along the street, Mrs. Pifano is selling bananas and apples. In addition to the man she’s talking to, the militiaman on horseback appears interested.

03_street_view.jpg

Set up on the cobblestones in front of the market house we find “Old Man” Claesen, a local fisherman, and his young assistant with two barrels of fresh fish. Aaron van der Meede is talking to Mrs. Lockerman, who is selling carrots from her garden. At the far end of the building, Samuel Amwell is unloading kegs from his brewery.

04_street.jpg

Moving to the other side of the market house, we see Sam’s assistant tending to the ox that pulls the cart.

05_right_side_w_cow.jpg

Up the street on the far side of the green, we are greeted by the smell of fresh baked bread and pastries. Let’s stop and buy some treats!

06_rightcorner.jpg

The next smell is not as pleasant! A pig farmer has set up a temporary pen and brought his pigs to market. They are fat and ready for slaughter. Who wants bacon?

08_pigs.jpg

But bacon would take time. The poultry farmer has cooked turkey legs ready now!

09_turkey_leg.jpg

He also has chickens for sale.

10_chickens.jpg

That’s a visit to the Weelond market!

11_right_front.jpg

12_above.jpg

Lovely build, it is packed with lovely touches, your presentation is great and I love the paved sections, not too uniform which gives a very appropriate feel. The arches on the roof, the columns and the market stall awnings are all especially nice too.

:wub: lovely build! The House itself is great, with the wite and flesh sections. I also love the transition between pavement and Green.

That's a beautiful house indeed, the pavement looks good too.

And all those little market scenes are great!

Lovely building, the medium dark flesh walls and speckled roof look great! Nice variety of market stands and animal pens in the market too pirate_classic.gif

Very nice market scene, the little stalls all look great and I really like how you added a house in the back! :thumbup:

This is a lovely marketplace. Great job at giving another great twist on the common marketplace of the Era. I like the details and the individual shops. I also want to praise the roof technique and coloring.

Where is that ox from?

Amazing house. I really love the distinct style you have given Weelond. Great job as usual, and this is one of your best for sure. I love it!

Excellent build again, Capt. Wolf, very nice house, the color-scheme and arches are particularly neat. Great job capturing the lively atmosphere with the marketplace as well, the stands, pens, and minifig posing are superb! Great job here! pirate_satisfied.gif

Thanks for the kind comments everyone! This was a build that just kind of took off, but I'm pretty happy with how it came together. I usually try to limit the photos in my posts, but there was so much going on in the scene that I went a bit wild.

Lovely build, it is packed with lovely touches, your presentation is great and I love the paved sections, not too uniform which gives a very appropriate feel. The arches on the roof, the columns and the market stall awnings are all especially nice too.

Thanks! I thought the arches above the windows was a fun detail that really gave the house some character.

:wub: lovely build! The House itself is great, with the white and flesh sections. I also love the transition between pavement and Green.

Thanks! I tried to use the flesh masonry bricks before, but the color combo I was using just didn't work. This time I think it worked well.

Serously good looking! Also love the different color variations of the roof!

Thanks! I wanted the roof to look like individual shingles. I used black, dark brown, old brown, and reddish brown slopes. I was a bit worried that the reddish brown looked to much like the flesh bricks, but it turned out ok.

That's a beautiful house indeed, the pavement looks good too.

And all those little market scenes are great!

Thanks! The market house was the start of this build, and then it just kept growing. Making the individual market scenes was a lot of fun.

This is a lovely marketplace. Great job at giving another great twist on the common marketplace of the Era. I like the details and the individual shops. I also want to praise the roof technique and coloring.

Where is that ox from?

Thanks! The ox is a Brickforge cow. They've got a variety of colors.

Amazing house. I really love the distinct style you have given Weelond. Great job as usual, and this is one of your best for sure. I love it!

Thanks! Much appreciated! I've always figured Eslandola is a mix of Spanish and Dutch, but I've tried to emphasize the Dutch side for Weelond. I've taken a lot of inspiration from illustrations of 17th century New York/New Amsterdam.

Excellent build again, Capt. Wolf, very nice house, the color-scheme and arches are particularly neat. Great job capturing the lively atmosphere with the marketplace as well, the stands, pens, and minifig posing are superb! Great job here! pirate_satisfied.gif

Thanks! I'm very happy with how the house turned out, but the minifig activity in the market scenes is what really makes the build, in my opinion.

Thanks again for all the comments! This was a fun build, and it's nice to know the things I enjoyed or took special care with are appreciated!

I am really liking the distinctive style you are developing with our builds, Captain Wolf. This one in particular reminds me of deGothia's Benoic builds. (Which is most definitely a compliment!) The roof has a wonderful colourplay.

The building in itself is great, and the flesh bricks work surprisingly well in top of the white ground floor. The cobblestone pathways is very well exectuted, and I too like the liveliness of the market scene.

Well done - I hope Montoya and Cooke will one day have a chance to visit Weelond. pir_laugh2.gif

I am really liking the distinctive style you are developing with our builds, Captain Wolf. This one in particular reminds me of deGothia's Benoic builds. (Which is most definitely a compliment!) The roof has a wonderful colourplay.

The building in itself is great, and the flesh bricks work surprisingly well in top of the white ground floor. The cobblestone pathways is very well exectuted, and I too like the liveliness of the market scene.

Well done - I hope Montoya and Cooke will one day have a chance to visit Weelond. pir_laugh2.gif

Bregir, thank you very much! And Montoya and Cooke would be very welcome in Weelond. Perhaps I can entice you to build in Weelond and add your touch to it! (Watch for build incentives in June.)

As others have said there are some great details in this market and I like that you took the time to photograph and create stories for some of them! The building itself is very nice, for some reason the medium dark flesh brick facade immediately makes me think this has Dutch influence, so you definitely achieved your goal with that for me!