just2good

Disney Collectible Minifigures Series 1 Discussion

There are many non-Friends rubber hairpieces out there, so I doubt that would be a problem.

Yeah, if a hairstyle has a certain amount of detail, don't they have to use rubber for the material? Seems like all of the pointy hair pieces are rubber.

If they wanted to do the recent version of Cinderella they'd have to do a new mold regardless. I feel like that version is a little more likely since we've had the original version in mini-doll form several times.

At this point I'd rather see a 2015 version.

I honestly can't see Lego using the friends/disney princess hair molds outside of their respective themes. They look kinda weird on regular minifigs because they're not made out of hard plastic like normal hairpieces are. Therefore, I think if they are going to do Elsa, Ariel, or Cinderella, they may have to create new hair molds for them.

I disagree. I think they are most likely to reuse the previous molds. It's more cost effective, and the molds they have would work just fine. Sure, it might not be what some of us would prefer, but it's still probably the most likely.

There are many non-Friends rubber hairpieces out there, so I doubt that would be a problem.

Like...? I can't think of any that aren't some sort of headpiece

I disagree. I think they are most likely to reuse the previous molds. It's more cost effective, and the molds they have would work just fine. Sure, it might not be what some of us would prefer, but it's still probably the most likely.

They just do not look right to me. They make the figures look a bit cheap, in my opinion.

The collectible minifig line uses them all the time. They've also appeared in sets, like the hair on Red in the Lone Ranger stagecoach, Ewok Village Princess Leia (which was also in the collectible minifigs), and I bet there are some others I'm missing right now. It's a good bet we'll be getting some squishy hair, IMO.

Yeah, if a hairstyle has a certain amount of detail, don't they have to use rubber for the material? Seems like all of the pointy hair pieces are rubber.

I actually thought it was to do with some of the hair acessories gripping better to the rubber, i know that the headphones are used with the hard platic hats, but things like the little tiaras and bows tend to be with the ruberised hair pieces these days.

I guess some regular CMF use rubber moulds, like the pretzel girl and medusa, but I think it might be a bit disappointing for Disney doll collectors if all the princesses reused Lego the same Lego princesses?

Personally I hope they don't, I don't do Lego dolls or Disney princesses, except this one time I accidentally bought a set with Ariel in (I don't know what happened she just came home with me) I later minifigured Ariel using the hairpiece and I don't really like the effect.

Aside from the previously-named examples, there are the manga- / anime-like hair elements created for Exo-Force, which predates the so-called "CMF" line by a few years.

They just do not look right to me. They make the figures look a bit cheap, in my opinion.

Unfortunate that you think so, especially considering minidolls in general are almost certainly still significantly more expensive for TLG to produce than conventional, traditional minifigures. But be that as it may, note also that their heads were specifically designed to allow them to use most minifigure hair elements interchangeably, and vice versa.

Even in 2016?

Apart from the annoying hole on top, I never had a minidol hairpiece look weird on a minifigure, haven't tried ariels yet though, but I imagine the cheapness is more to the unnatural bright red color

Spooky Girl. Dr. Inferno, Lady Liberty, Arwen, Galadriel/Elrond etc. There are several examples. It's usually based on extensions that could be harmful or fragile, but in the Friends line it's the norm for whatever reason.

I don't believe there is precedent for a Friends to System hair transfer. Has it been done yet? Rubber hair happens all the time... but Friends specific has yet to be done, I think. :look:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

I later minifigured Ariel using the hairpiece and I don't really like the effect.

I have the Ariel hair, and I think it looks fine on minifigures (as long as you are OK with the color).

I have the Ariel hair, and I think it looks fine on minifigures (as long as you are OK with the color).

Dorayaki I think is their name, they minifigure-d the Disney Princesses and posted them on here. They also minifigure-d the Friends girls.

Dorayaki I think is their name, they minifigure-d the Disney Princesses and posted them on here. They also minifigure-d the Friends girls.

I'd really like to see official Disney versions of the Disney princesses, and I'm still hoping to see them in this CMF series.

I really think it was a missed opportunity to do minidolls for Disney and Elves, as I'm sure a lot of people avoid them because of that fact, but I do understand why they did them that way and I know that some young girls have been drawn to LEGO by these dolls.

I think my main problem with the Ariel hair is that I don't like it as hair for Ariel, not in general, so if Lego were going to make a minifigure Ariel, I'd like them to have another crack at making her quiff and I'd want her overall hair to be a bit smoother in appearance. But that's just my taste. The hair itself is fine on minifigures in general.

I don't believe there is precedent for a Friends to System hair transfer. Has it been done yet? Rubber hair happens all the time... but Friends specific has yet to be done, I think. :look:

Actually, the queen/princess/whatever she was in the last Castle theme used a Friends hairpiece. I think that's the only example so far.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Theresa's hair was used on the Castle 2016 princess

If they wanted to do the recent version of Cinderella they'd have to do a new mold regardless. I feel like that version is a little more likely since we've had the original version in mini-doll form several times.

The Cinderella mini-dolls are based on the redesigns, as shown on the boxes.

The Cinderella mini-dolls are based on the redesigns, as shown on the boxes.

I'm not talking about that terrible 2013 redesign. I'm talking about the 2015 movie design.

Yes, the 2013 princess is the only example so far. I wonder why the girl themes' hair has stayed in its own area, though.

I'm not talking about that terrible 2013 redesign. I'm talking about the 2015 movie design.

The movie design is not nearly as iconic (nor will it ever reach that status) as the classic animated design. To make it would probably just date the series and seem like an obvious cash-in.

The movie design is not nearly as iconic (nor will it ever reach that status) as the classic animated design. To make it would probably just date the series and seem like an obvious cash-in.

Of course it's not as iconic as the original, but it's popular right now. We've got a ton of mini-dolls representing the animated movie, I think it's only fair that the new movie gets a minifigure. Honestly I think the original Cinderella would look plain and boring in minifigure form (her mini-doll certainly does). I prefer the live action design because it's more textured and detailed and that's usually the makings of a great minifigure.

And I don't really see how that'll date the series. The movie did well critically and in the box office. Disney will give it the same re-release treatment all successful Disney movies get and it'll be remembered in it's own way. Plus I get the feeling Disney will start a Queens brand soon as both Cinderella and Aurora became queens at the end of their respective live action ventures (I'm betting Alice will become a queen too as she does in the second book).

There's another example of minidoll rubber hair on a minifigure, it's the hairpiece that Kai from Ninjago has, and for some reason I think there is at least another example.

I think the minidoll hairs stay exclusive to those figures because they are characters with names so they need to keep their identity since the hair on a minidoll is the only thing you can really change, without the hair, you can't even tell who is who as they change clothes from set to set anyway.

Edited by Sven F

Of course it's not as iconic as the original, but it's popular right now. We've got a ton of mini-dolls representing the animated movie, I think it's only fair that the new movie gets a minifigure. Honestly I think the original Cinderella would look plain and boring in minifigure form (her mini-doll certainly does). I prefer the live action design because it's more textured and detailed and that's usually the makings of a great minifigure.

We have Cinderella minidolls, true, but we don't have a minifigure. I would suspect that they would be more likely to do a classic animated Cinderella minifigure before any other variants.

I would also hope for this.

Oh! Yeah! I knew about Kai's hair! I did not know about the Princess, but I think I remember that now. So there is some precedent. Ok. Well, I'm all for Lego reusing the hair! They look great most of the time. :classic: I'd love to see some of the Elves' hair feature in System sets. :blush:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Kai's hair was introduced to the Friends theme, not the other way around. The Princess is still the only time a hairpiece originated in Friends and then went into the System themes.

If they do include a princess or two, I'd expect Snow White and classic Cinderella. Snow White's their first, and Cinderella's their mascot, so it would make sense.