just2good

Disney Collectible Minifigures Series 1 Discussion

If they actually use the word "Minifigures" for this series, as they have done for the names of each other series of blind-bagged figures of the sorts we here refer to as "CMFs", it establishes certain parameters for what will be there. LEGO is more particular these days about what it calls a "minifigure" than what it used to; figures not made principally out of traditional minifigure elements aren't called "minifigures", even if they serve as minifigures in a set. Go and read the product descriptions on LEGO's site - you'll note neither R2-D2 nor Unikitty nor Scooby-Doo is officially referred to as s "minifigure", even if we all count them as such. By TLG's current official nomenclature standards, even classic skeletons aren't true minifigures. A "minifigure" has to have a certain number of traditional minifigure elements to be called that, and things like what we're describing for Pluto wouldn't qualify. Maggie Simpson already stretches the current definition; she probably qualifies because four of the five individual pieces of plastic that make up her torso / body are traditional minifigure parts, even though they're just part of a "part" (a factory assembly).

I therefore don't see Pluto getting his own slot in a Minifigures series unless they make him bipedal, like a person wearing a Pluto costume - which is an option, of course, as is making him an accessory figure for Mickey.

I concur.... there is no way they will sell Pluto alone in a CMF bag

If they use the same headmould for Mickey and Minnie, I'd say there is chance to get Pluto as an accessory for Mickey

Given that the Simpsons did variants of the family for the second series I could see variants of Mickey appearing in future series (assuming it does continue) - e.g;

series one: Standard Mickey (as generally depicted in modern disney merch and cartoons)

series two: Classic Mickey (as in Steamboat Willie styled, potentially greyscale/black and white style colouring, but definitely with the classic style eyes - would go well with an Oswald in the same series

series 3: Fantasia Mickey, to me this seems like a really obvious one to do, have a broom and a bucket as accessories (wouldn't even need to be new moulds) so they could either do a new head mould or if this one was pre planned, have a way to add a hat to the head (personally new head seems more likely)

Equally it would be interesting to see some of the princess characters redone as minifigures, and I can't see a logical reason for them not to, after all we have characters that have appeared as several different types of figure in the past before (Duplo/4 Junior/standard) - there might not be a standard for it happening with minidolls, but I don't see that as a really strong argument for it not happening.

Regarding all the Pluto debate, I think he's unlikely in the first series, but given that Disney parks have an anthropomorphised mascot version, I could see a standard minifigure being based on him in this form. I'm a sucker for moulded animals so I'd prefer him done more like Scooby Doo, which could hypothetically happen, but basically I wouldn't write anything off as impossible at this point - unlikely maybe, just not impossible.

Hope nobody minds if I write a quick analysis of what Pixar movies I think will get minifigs. It may end up a wall of text but hopefully it turns out worth your reading :D

Toy Story [franchise] - I don't expect this to be in the series, at least not series 1, for the reasons stated above. We've already seen them.

I wouldn't rule Toy Story out. They are arguably the most iconic of the Pixar movies and not everybody has the Toy Story sets.

Bug's Life - not sure if it's iconic enough but Flik could be a great figure.

If you're ruling out Ratatouille because it features animal characters, then surely you should also rule out A Bug's Life?

Monsters Inc - seems very likely to me! If we get any Pixar figs, Sulley and Mike seem like some of the most likely.

Wouldn't Mike need a new mould, though?

Finding Nemo - animal nonhumanoid characters seem very, very unlikely to me.

I agree; fish would be very hard to do in minifigure form.

Incredibles - another likely one. Mr Incredible could easily be in the first series, with the rest of the family in later lines.

Cars [franchise] - most likely, I wouldn't be surprised if they just have Mickey and the other 15 are Cars characters. Sarcasm.

Actually, I could see them including Lightening McQueen with Mickey Mouse (as unrelated as the two things are) purely because Cars is very popular with kids.

Ratatouille - doubt it for the same reason as Nemo.

Back to the A Bug's Life point. If you're saying Flik could be a minifigure then there's no reason why Remy can't also. He is also capable of standing how a person stands (if that makes any sense).

Wall-E - possible. a Wall-E fig would be awesome and I think doable.

I would have thought it would be harder do a Wall-E minifigure than a Remy one.

Up. Doubt it for the first series.

Agreed. I don't think anyone's bothered about Up minifigures.

Brave - already made.

Inside Out - not for a series or a few at least, it's not iconic yet.

Also agreed.

Oh, and also agree about The Incredibles. Could imagine a Mr Fantastic minifigure being likely as you said.

Personally I imagine Mike done more like Spongebob, but a moulded body piece with Slimer like arms could work.

Isn't that the very reason why people are saying they won't do animal minifigures, though?

No, they're saying that most animals aren't minifigures. Unless you want them all anthropomorphized, I doubt we would see them in a Collectible Minifigure series.

Since PotC sequel is ensured and new LEGO sets are possible. Kids could still get those characters in these cases.

But not for a few years yet, so TLG might lose sales to kids that will have moved out of LEGO (or at least System LEGO) by then.

You can never grow out of LEGO.

Not quite. No one HAS to grow out of Lego. But people DO all the time. Even these days, kids who "graduate" to being AFOLs make up only a small percentage of the kids who played with Lego in childhood, while others move on to other interests.

That said, it's not like Lego loses significant sales due to those kids "growing out" of Lego, because there are younger kids "growing into" Lego all the time as well. That's a big reason why we see repeats of things like police stations or pirate ships or X-Wing Starfighters all the time—sure, longtime fans probably still have their original copies, but for a large portion of Lego's audience will be experiencing those subjects for the first time.

Not quite. No one HAS to grow out of Lego. But people DO all the time. Even these days, kids who "graduate" to being AFOLs make up only a small percentage of the kids who played with Lego in childhood, while others move on to other interests.

That said, it's not like Lego loses significant sales due to those kids "growing out" of Lego, because there are younger kids "growing into" Lego all the time as well. That's a big reason why we see repeats of things like police stations or pirate ships or X-Wing Starfighters all the time—sure, longtime fans probably still have their original copies, but for a large portion of Lego's audience will be experiencing those subjects for the first time.

I honestly just don't know how it could be possible, though, because LEGO has a certain charm to it (especially with the minfigures).

I honestly just don't know how it could be possible, though, because LEGO has a certain charm to it (especially with the minfigures).

It happens. I had some LEGO as a child but I "grew" out of it for quite a few years. Minifigures are what brought me back into the fray...

I think there's many possibilities as to what figures will be in this series - but like the Simpsons figures, you have to expect a little bit of variation from what you see in other media since LEGO is limited to the Minifigure silhouette. For example, Homer and Comic Book Guy don't have the bulging bellies. This variation will probably be much more extreme in this series, since many classic Disney characters are anthropomorphic animals. To that end, it's hard (at least for me) to imagine what these figures will end up looking like if they retain said silhouette.

Isn't that the very reason why people are saying they won't do animal minifigures, though?

Actually, I could see them including Lightening McQueen with Mickey Mouse (as unrelated as the two things are) purely because Cars is very popular with kids.

You are joking now right? We are talking about a cmf series, now way that will ever include a car, it even is way to big for a small blindbag. Btw, speaking of cars now, didn't we receive a wave of cars Lego sets a few years ago? I even believe my local stores still have tons of them somewhere on a shelf.

Btw it isn't the very same reason why they don't do animal figures, they probably won't do animal figures cause they aren't really figures, they don't have torso piece,they don't have the legs piece, not even parts of it or something similar, what they mean with molds are things like head molds which we see all the time in the lego cmf series, the simpsons even only had figures with molded heads. The only way we might see animal figures is to include a human character and let the animal be a accessory, but most of the humans they can include aren't popular enough for their own figure. Still there are human figures which can include a animal accessory like cruella de ville,which I think is the most likely one to get her own figure. But don't rule out every animal, cause animals with a human like build does still have a chance to get their own figure.

Given that the Simpsons did variants of the family for the second series I could see variants of Mickey appearing in future series (assuming it does continue) - e.g;

series one: Standard Mickey (as generally depicted in modern disney merch and cartoons)

series two: Classic Mickey (as in Steamboat Willie styled, potentially greyscale/black and white style colouring, but definitely with the classic style eyes - would go well with an Oswald in the same series

series 3: Fantasia Mickey, to me this seems like a really obvious one to do, have a broom and a bucket as accessories (wouldn't even need to be new moulds) so they could either do a new head mould or if this one was pre planned, have a way to add a hat to the head (personally new head seems more likely)

Equally it would be interesting to see some of the princess characters redone as minifigures, and I can't see a logical reason for them not to, after all we have characters that have appeared as several different types of figure in the past before (Duplo/4 Junior/standard) - there might not be a standard for it happening with minidolls, but I don't see that as a really strong argument for it not happening.

Yeah, they could redo the princesses, I think most people just hope/expect new characters.

Nice idea about the Mickeys by the way - I'd love all of those variants.

I wouldn't rule Toy Story out. They are arguably the most iconic of the Pixar movies and not everybody has the Toy Story sets.

If you're ruling out Ratatouille because it features animal characters, then surely you should also rule out A Bug's Life?

Wouldn't Mike need a new mould, though?

I agree; fish would be very hard to do in minifigure form.

Back to the A Bug's Life point. If you're saying Flik could be a minifigure then there's no reason why Remy can't also. He is also capable of standing how a person stands (if that makes any sense).

I would have thought it would be harder do a Wall-E minifigure than a Remy one.

Agreed. I don't think anyone's bothered about Up minifigures.

Also agreed.

Oh, and also agree about The Incredibles. Could imagine a Mr Fantastic minifigure being likely as you said.

1. See my comment above for why I don't think Toy Story will happen, at least not right away.

2. Ok fair enough, I forgot just how humanoid the rats are, there could be a Remy figure.

3. Yeah, I imagine Mike's head/torso would be replaced with one big mold.

4. How would they possibly include Lightning McQueen? And why? They already put him in a ton of sets a few years ago and that is most definitely a building toy, not a minifigure or accessory.

5. Yeah I don't know if they would make Wall-E or not. He would be very brickbuilt instead of mold/minifig.

Yeah, they could redo the princesses, I think most people just hope/expect new characters.

Well I wouldn't mind them redoing Princesses in minifigure form. However I think if they retread any of of those characters we'd probably see a different version of them, probably how they appear in any subsequent remake. Like I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2015 Cinderella since we've already had an animated version in mini-doll form.

Nice idea about the Mickeys by the way - I'd love all of those variants.

1. See my comment above for why I don't think Toy Story will happen, at least not right away.

2. Ok fair enough, I forgot just how humanoid the rats are, there could be a Remy figure.

3. Yeah, I imagine Mike's head/torso would be replaced with one big mold.

4. How would they possibly include Lightning McQueen? And why? They already put him in a ton of sets a few years ago and that is most definitely a building toy, not a minifigure or accessory.

5. Yeah I don't know if they would make Wall-E or not. He would be very brickbuilt instead of mold/minifig.

1. I don't think it matters. I could see them including Toy Story regardless if they include any Pixar minifigures because if people see there's a possibility of getting Buzz and Woody, they'll sell more than if (for example) Mr Incredible is included.

4. Like Maggie, only shaped like a car (two parts).

4. Like Maggie, only shaped like a car (two parts).

Why bother with a car that small? Made up of two specially molded parts no less... That just seems pointless, especially when there's already a very good version of him out there, just in brick form.

It would be ridiculous to include characters from Cars.

Not really because they're hugely popular with kids.

Having said that, I don't think Cars will feature anyway. But I could see why LEGO would try to find a way to include one or two characters.

A car is not a minifigure. Neither is an animal, unless it's anthropomorphized like Mickey. The sooner you understand that the sooner we can get this discussion back on track.

That said, I could somewhat see a Remy minifigure work, kinda like Master Splinter, but it would be odd since he would be out of scale with everyone else. I think it's more likely that if we get anything from Ratatouille, it would be Linguini with Remy as a one-mold accessory (hopefully a new mold, not a generic rat).

Painted up Scabbers might work as Remy, it seems a lot of the new animals are the Minidoll styled animals (is there an accepted term yet?) but it isn't like the CMFs do not originate a lot of new animals too (Monkey, Snowball II etc)

I had no idea this was an actual thing, an actually decent licensed CMF series? (Not a big Simpsons fan either.) Keeping an eye out with interest then :classic:

Not really because they're hugely popular with kids.

Having said that, I don't think Cars will feature anyway. But I could see why LEGO would try to find a way to include one or two characters.

A car would not work as a minifigure. Unless you want it to have legs, arms, and a head, it's not likely to happen. This isn't a "Characters" series, it's a "Minifigure" series.