markus1984

[MOC] Star Wars Battlefront - Battle on Sullust

Lego should have studied (studded, geddit?!) this beauty before releasing their ultimate battlepack collection Hoth 'assault' rip off ! Something like this would have made a great display piece

This looks spot on to the game, great job! If only the game were as good as this MOC.

I agree with all opinion about this great work!

Thak you markus1984 for this Amazing and very detailed MOC !!!

Edited by Flambo14

Glad to see you building Star Wars again, markus1984. Of course I could never forget how awesome your diorama's were, but I had forgotten how exited I got every time you posted a new creation. Thanks for reminding me of that feeling.

I'd like to congratulate you on building a scene with lava and plenty of rocks, yet making it very clear this isn't Mustafar, without doing anything fancy with the architecture. You succeeded in it by giving the rocks many facets, avoiding sharp corners. You succeeded in it by keeping the lava monochrome red, rather than using yellows and shades of brown mixed in between. You succeeded in it by using the cold light grey. And you photographed everything in the perfect light, capturing the immense feeling of cold, even though you're at the edge of a stream of lava. Even though some bluish background would have been nice for an atmospheric effect, your build has enough on a clean presentation to evoke everything there is to feel about that location. Every time I see one of your creation, I'm impressed by how well you understand what makes a particular location that particular location, and manage to translate those observations in a beautiful creation. It might be that quality that makes you one of my all time favorite builders.

In short, your creation rocks. Talking of rocks, I love the way how they have so much detail, yet don't distract from the scene. I do find it a bit strange you clearly have different styles of rocks merged together, which seems a bit artificial here. You see, on the left you have all of those short slopes in a zig-zag pattern. But on the right, you have a nearly uninterrupted formation of long, all vertical slopes. This visually makes for quite a big difference in texture, giving the impression we're looking at a different kind of rock formation. But there's no real feature that separates the two styles: it looks like they're intended to be one big piece of rock. So you have one big rock with two pretty different sides... that feels a bit unnatural to me. It might be better to give the rock a more uniform texture. Or what would be more interesting, you could keep the two different textures, but make it clear these are two separate entities. You could have some kind of separation between them, a kind of gorge maybe, or having the rocks all at an angle to imply a different layer, or give them some other color, or have a vein of who knows what running through it (although that wouldn't be too true to the source material, I guess). That would in any case be better than those few old grey slopes you have now, that don't really seem to have a reason to be there... What would also have been nice, would have been to integrate the type of rocks you realized with the plates better. Right now it's at the bottom, and stops quite suddenly. You could have built in some nice plateaus with that technique in the big rock wall, to break it up a bit. Still, your rocks are awesome, way better than a lot of rocks I've seen done in that style. I have no idea what makes yours so great, so maybe all of my suggestions aren't worth that much... Who doesn't love those rocks already?

The architecture in this scene won't let itself be bullied out of the attention by the rocks though. When I first saw your bunker, I went like "wow, that's amazing! It's better than any rendition I've seen before!" But later I realized: "wait, hasn't markus already built an Imperial bunker before?" Then, I went to check your battle of Endor creation, and thought "You see! It's the same thing. What a pity he just recycled this design... O, wait a second, there are actually quite a few differences!" I love how you aren't completely satisfied with what you built before and decided to improve a creation many of us would consider the best thing they could possibly build. But you just wanted to do better, and you did! You found a marvelous way of using the tiles to make the outer corners really nice and clean, you improved the door design by making use of studs for texturing, and you even improved the greebly thingies on the roof of the bunker. It makes this bunker look more solid and more detailed at the same time, just the thing we like best. And having it at an angle, nicely tucked away in the rocks, makes for such a perfect setting, I like it better here than on the forest moon of Endor! Now that's how you reuse an existing design!

I like how you put the upper platform at the same angle as the bunker, since it makes clear how the base is structured. The lower platform is really good as well. I've already mentioned how much I like how you used light grey for it. It's the perfect cold color for this occasion, especially for such a smooth surface. One small remark would be that the small touches of light grey beyond the clear border of it don't seem to make much sense, since rock isn't as loose as earth and therefore nicely stays behind its border. The hole that was shot in it looks incredible, although I have to confess I only discover it now. You could have moved the cannon a bit to give it some more focus, but that only applies because this is just a picture. What would have been really cool though, would have been to have the Rodian with the bazooka face the direction of the hole, to imply he created it. And making it clear the cannon is disabled, would answer the question why the Empire isn't using it to fight of the Rebels. Then the action in this scene would already feel a lot more alive. Without the need of flying laserbeams and smoke everywhere, the struggle would be clearer.

Not that the scene isn't exciting already. I love how you have the Rebels storming that impenetrable looking base, the Imperials quickly reacting and taking the first cover they encounter, and the first people soaring in the air in an attempt to get a grip on the situation. You've perfectly captured that moment of excitement and confusion of a battle that just started and doesn't have a clear ending yet. Anything can happen at this point, especially with Boba Fett overlooking the fight and looking like he's doubting whether he will join this battle or simply observe it for his pleasure. I just want to know how things go on from here on out. Without telling me anything about the reason for this battle, without introducing me to any character and without a sweeping soundtrack and zooming effects, you've drawn me into this scene. I'm in the middle of the action, and I want to know how it continues. I want take part in this battle. That's what makes this one of the best representation of a game in LEGO. I'm dying to play this single level right away. Quick, what controls do I use?

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

MOCs like this are why i still drop by here. 10/10 my man, keep being rad

Yes, yes, YES!!!!

I'm a huge fan of the game, and you've absolutely nailed it (especially with the Sullust piece). Well done!

An incredible MOC! Honestly, all the praise I could give has already been said in this thread. It's just too good! But I think LBG would've been a better color choice for the main bunker in order to tie it in with the rest of the Imperial bits in this MOC and distinguish it from the surrounding cliff.

Edited by Junior Shark

:wub: Thanks so much guys for your comments!

Also a big thanks to beaver for blogging the MOC and for this fantastic feedback

markus

This is absolutely excellent! Having spent way too many hours in Battlefront, I can say that you diorama captures the mayhem perfectly! I could stare at this for days :)

I especially like how you have taken the time recreate the jump packs and their dynamics. It ads a lot of action to the entire scene and takes you right into the experience of playing the game. That last minute boost to avoid the lava or that excellent shot pulled off while in mid-air :)

To sum up: This would look very nice on my shelf ;)

This is awesome! I am currently thinking about making my own Sullust Diorama for the AT-ST(anothergols version) I just build. You wouldn't happen to have an LDD of that bunker?

Or at least some in progress photos which show how the bunker walls are made?

Edited by Lucifer

Awesome MOC! Captured the look of the level perfectly. I think what would be epic would be a vader/luke showdown somewhere on the build. I've often thought of doing a battlefront moc and after seeing this I think I might get started on one!