Hmm, it looks like you're right - I haven't seen this photo before.

Also didn't realise about Ackerman in 8880 and the previous cars - they were a bit before my time. From what I can tell, the 8880 was the most mechanically full-featured super car and probably will be for a long while to come (4-wheel drive, 3 differentials, 4-wheel steering, ackerman steering). Have any cars had Ackerman steering since then? I'm curious how difficult it would be to mod the porsche to include this.

Of course it has front suspension, but I think the problem people have with the 'suspension geometry', is that it isn't accurate compared to the real model which could be about kingpin inclination and the like or simply the type of suspension like McPherson. I can't be arsed to google what the GT3 RS does have.

No Ackerman would just be sad at this size. I didn't really check if the 42056 has it or not, but I hope it does.

No Ackerman would just be sad at this size. I didn't really check if the 42056 has it or not, but I hope it does.

Unless the angled part is inside the wheel and can't be seen from the underside it doesn't: http://cache.lego.com/r/dynamic/is/image/LEGO/42056_alt4?op_sharpen=1&resMode=sharp4&wid=5000&fit=constrain,1&fmt=png-alpha

Apparently it's not:

hgOhaxu.png

This is the Sad Model of Missed Opportunities.

Edit: exchanged large picture to one more relevant

Edited by scooper22

"This is the Sad Model of Missed Opportunities." could not agree more.... a bit of sad it is ... the worst thing IMO is the fact how was the front suspension build.... the rest is a matter of taste...

Are we absolutely sure the steering is not Ackerman? I'm specifically looking at the off-center black axles in FRONT of the front wheels. I know usual Ackerman implementations would put these behind and slightly shorter than the pivot point of the wheel, but if they're slightly longer and go past the pivot point, this would still be possible (although impractical, and I don't quite see the space for it). Also, someone mentioned that this model is rear wheel drive - are we sure about this as well? I thought that most (if not all) cars with front wheel steering have front wheel drive to help with manoeuvring.

Unless the angled part is inside the wheel and can't be seen from the underside it doesn't: http://cache.lego.co...8;fmt=png-alpha

Apparently it's not:

hgOhaxu.png

This is the Sad Model of Missed Opportunities.

Edit: exchanged large picture to one more relevant

Yeah, with the second picture you edited in it's quite apparent that the black axles are the same length as the center wheel axles and the connection is at 90 degrees, meaning no steering geometry. An odd choice, considering that placing these axles behind the wheels, shortening them and connecting in a similar manner to 8880 seems relatively simple.

Cnd: The 911 is only build with all wheel drive or rear wheel drive. If the want the license they will have to obeye this fact. And the racing versions of the 911 (the GT3 RS is the road version of a race car) always had rear wheel drive.

There are enough other cars with RWD: take the mclaren mp4-12c /650s, the Ferrari 458, the BMW 3-series,.... american muscle cars...

Cnd: The 911 is only build with all wheel drive or rear wheel drive. If the want the license they will have to obeye this fact. And the racing versions of the 911 (the GT3 RS is the road version of a race car) always had rear wheel drive.

There are enough other cars with RWD: take the mclaren mp4-12c /650s, the Ferrari 458, the BMW 3-series,.... american muscle cars...

Thanks for clarifying!

The model doesn't even have a hint of the original suspension. The designers had a cool sequential gearbox idea, then proceded to make a car around it and make it look like a 911.

The model doesn't even have a hint of the original suspension. The designers had a cool sequential gearbox idea, then proceded to make a car around it and make it look like a 911.

Thats also the vibe i get from this model. It does leave room for improvements.

Jan Beyer (TLG community manager for europe) started building it. :)

42056.jpg

Why would there be a limited slip gear in the middle?

http://cache.lego.co...1&fmt=png-alpha

There was a discussion about it in this thread. Probably because the gearbox can jam is some circumstances, for example if the model is pushed during switching for a very short time because the previous gear doesn't fully disengage when the new gear is already catching.

I am planning on using these new rims on my next supercar, ( I'll start a WIP topic later this week) but to my dismay it doesn't look like an axle can be mounted in the center...

Which is a shame, since it will render my working disc brakes solution useless :(

I have spotted at least two extra red sliding connectors for the new gearbox rings. Which is very neat, since that would otherwise be a very rare part (and I will need three for my gearbox ;).

Also it looks like the doorhandles are mounted with black 2L axles instead of red ones.

Jan Beyer (TLG community manager for europe) started building it. :)

lucky guy he is!

when do we hear something from him, is he gonna review it?

i'm curious about the various colours. If I were making this, I'd do the entire underside in one colour, which means everything except the frames. Why the LBG panels and liftarms in limited locations for example?

I'm not sure, but I think it's midnight in your own time zone?

I got the ghostbusters house day 1 hour 1, and that wasn't until late morning Australian time, so I expect they just flip the switch for lots of countries at the same time.

I got the ghostbusters house day 1 hour 1, and that wasn't until late morning Australian time, so I expect they just flip the switch for lots of countries at the same time.

they probably follow the rule of IT: "The best way to work with timezones is to do not"

Normally a B-model is mentioned in the description right? Except I don't see one.

none (?) of the racers sets came with B models. The enzo, 599, the later grand prix cars. I can't remember if the first green F1 was a racer series, but it was the only one with a B model. The williams and ferrari versions don't have one.

I think licensed sets are difficult to make B models for, as the second model would probably have to be something the same company also makes, within the same set of parts.

Made sense given the breadth of equipment that volvo makes, but mercedes was pretty much the same truck (unimog and arocs)

The problem with licensed sets is that the b model has to be licensed as well, unless you can build an alternate attachment for it, like the Unimog, and upcoming Claas Xerion. The only Racers set I can think of that had a B model is the Ferrari Enzo, which had something else Ferrari as the b model. I'm not seeing Lego do a B model, as you would think the box would have a 2 in 1 call out, but it does not. I honestly can not think of anything else in the Porsche stable they could have as a B model anyway, unless they did a Cayman or something. Can you imagine them trying to do a Panemara, or a Cayanne? Although, there might be enough panels on the underside, but it would still in all probability look terrible, and Lego probably could not get buyoff from Porsche to do a B model, in any event.