SkaForHire

The Empire of Corrington: Sign-up and Discussion

An addendum to Mike's comment:

Just to be clear, I was trying to state that you were being consistent while others were not....pirate_satisfied.gif

If we were at war then yes, privateering could be very lucrative... for all parties. But I think we'll be facing serious conflict if we just go "ship hunting."

How much detail is wanted on the ships in question? I really liked Ska's "Bull Shark" despite its basic design and construction.

I don't mean to hunt other faction's ships in particular, but to assemble a fleet of 5As just to sail long routes on purpose, forcibly increasing the rate of NPC encounters.

As it stands, it looks like the value of captured ships far outstrips trade cargo value, which still has to be determined by further rolls.

We capture a 4A, that's 300DBs, full, unadulterated value. Capture 3 ships? Woohoo!

In comparison, golden boy Bregir, with all his luck, only made a mere 256 in a single run :p

As for detail, there's really no rule on that is there? Anyone could just slap together a basic hull and mast rig in LDD.

The question is, is the playerbase is going to be comfortable with that?

I know I'm not. But is there's currently no hard ruling to prevent that.

Now this might be a crazy thought, and I`m ducking for cover for the hates that are going to come this way, BUT

what if both the danger on the seas, AND the income from trades would be lowered? Would we have this discussion?

This is not such a crazy thought. I brought up the issue of captured ships because it can potentially be powergamebreaking.

There should be some more discussion done about possibly unbalanced issues in the MRCA.

To start, might we be open to a treaty similar to this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Naval_Treaty

Edited by CelesAurivern

As for detail, there's really no rule on that is there? Anyone could just slap together a basic hull and mast rig in LDD.

The question is, is the playerbase is going to be comfortable with that?

I know I'm not. But is there's currently no hard ruling to prevent that.

Don't forget: The Brethren Lords are watching you default_devil_laugh.gif Always expect a 'Divine Intervention'

Just to be clear, I was trying to state that you were being consistent while others were not....pirate_satisfied.gif

I know, and it is much appreciated. Montoya and Cooke both value their friendship with mr. Coyle extraordinarily!

And I simply wanted to ensure that people understood my motivations. And yes, when you are filthy rich, you can afford to stand fast on your principles! ;)

And I really feel strongly that the diversity imposed by the mrca, and especially the captures, is a great thing to make builders improve, and provides immersion, which I feel is and should be the core of this. :)

The Great Corrington Naval Debate.... Ok, I see the point about upgrading captures. We won't do it on the nation level. I feel as if the two SRs that caught the 3As should be able to show a "improvement" MOC and bump those up to 4s if they want.

I also think that perhaps the limit in upgrade should be one class of ship. I like the idea of some sort of MOC to improve the vessel, but adding length or decks or something should not be required. A vessel could become more powerful with just larger cannon, or faster with a new rig.

Also, as much as the MRCA system has been interesting, I am thinking of rather than a tweak, it may need a new rewrite. Originally designed like a boardgame, there seems to be such a demand for reality, that its current form may be untenable as interesting for everyone involved.

A stranger has arrived in Corrington. Clad in tattered garments and carrying a backpack, he speaks with a foreign accent and has aroused the curiosity of many in the empire. He talks little, but seems interested in finding information about a man named Aiden Coyle. "I have returned from a long expedition," says he when he arrives in Arlinsport. "I hear that Aiden Coyle has taken up residence here?"

For a moment the dock hand stands in speechless amazment. "So you be lookin fer Mr Coyle, eh? Well you've come to the right place stranger." So saying, he gestures in the direction of a tall leaning hovel. "There be the shipping office. An old structure it is, but as faithful they come." The dock hand glances nervously at the stranger's pecular outfit; a broad brimmed hat, a backpack, an old cutlass and a rifle.

"If I may ask sir, what did you say your name was, again?"

The stranger tips his hat, a hat that looks many sizes too big for the man wearing it, and smiles broadly. "My name is Coyle; Sir Simon Coyle!"

25447041861_7ccc07500c_c.jpg

A stranger has arrived in Corrington.

Welcome to EB stranger. Great way to introduce yourself and good choice on joining the building game right away. :thumbup:

Coming back to the topic of naming our islands, since it has to be settled sooner or later.

Any further input from fellow Corries?

(Sorry if I got your "vote" wrong. Just based it off your opinion posts, since there's no official voting :p)

The suggestions we have so far for #2

New Corrington - 1 vote: SilentWolf

New Balondia - 3 votes: Brickon, Ayrlego, CelesAurivern

Concordia Dawn

Ophelia Magnus

And for #10

Lalaland - 1 vote: Tomsche 2 violent objections: Bregir, Mike S

Cocovia - 2 votes: Brickon, CelesAurivern

Cocaun - 1 vote: Ayrlego

Cocomo

Welcome to Corrington ZaneKane!

On the subject of island names:

For #2 I vote for "New Corrington"

"New Balondia" sounds too much like baloney and the last two are clearly ships' names, not land masses. :pir-wink:

For #10 I vote "Cocovia"

And I oppose "Lalaland" although it's no worse than, say, Walla Walla, Washington.

Welcome ZaneKane, I hope Sir Simon won't be a stranger for long! Lovely little scene to introduce your sigfig.

I vote 'New Corrington' and 'Cocovia'.

Are others familiar with the Telly Tubbies: Lala, Dipsy, Tinky Winky and Po? Which one will Tomsche want to name the next island after? Dipsyland, Tinkywinkyland, or even Poland...as if anyone would ever call a country Poland!

Edited by Fuzzy MacFuzz

Oh, but I ` am full of great ideas for island number 10

Coffeeria

Chocolalaland

Douwe Egberts Island

Caffeinica

Black Gold Island

Cappucinico

Latteeria

Haselnut Country

I`ll get my hat now...

Coming back to the topic of naming our islands, since it has to be settled sooner or later.

Any further input from fellow Corries?

(Sorry if I got your "vote" wrong. Just based it off your opinion posts, since there's no official voting :p)

To be honest, I was hoping there would be more name suggestions. I'm not completely sold but neither have I really tried thinking of any alternatives. When asked for random names, my assistant gave me Tivall for number 2 and Rhyn for 10. However I thought we might name the islands after our winners, Montoya and Alcock.

Welcome ZaneKane, I hope Sir Simon won't be a stranger for long! Lovely little scene to introduce your sigfig.

I vote 'New Corrington' and 'Cocovia'.

Are others familiar with the Telly Tubbies: Lala, Dipsy, Tinky Winky and Po? Which one will Tomsche want to name the next island after? Dipsyland, Tinkywinkyland, or even Poland...as if anyone would ever call a country Poland!

No, Poland sounds strange. It's sounds like it's been used before.pir_laugh2.gif

I have another suggestion, free of charge (the honor of honorary citizen in one of the settlements there would be nice though):

Shokoku Island

for island 10. Based loosely on this article Chocolate-coated Marshmallow treats Wiki

I saw Mike S's post after I replied. Those are good suggestions, with a motivational undertone. But Shokoku Island for the next chocolate island with elevation.pirate_wink.gif

Edited by Sir Stig

Adding some new suggestions and eliminating those with zero votes, thus far + making a few presumptuous presumptions about who is backing which name.

Sir Tomsche has made us some nice suggestions, but he might be suffering from a caffeine overdose, so we'll keep his suggestions by the side for now :p (Any Corrie is free to back those suggestions, of course)

New Corrington - 3 votes: SilentWolf, Captain Dee, Fuzzy McFuzz

Alcock - 1 vote: Mike S

Tivall

Lalaland - 1 vote: Tomsche (+3 violent objections: Bregir, Mike S, Captain Dee)

Cocovia - 4 votes: Brickon, CelesAurivern, Captain Dee, Fuzzy McFuzz

Montoya - 1 vote: Mike S

Rhyn

Edited by CelesAurivern

CelesAurivern, you might not want to count my name, since I am not from Corringon. I just had a suggestion that I found fitting for how the Island is described.

Adding some new suggestions and eliminating those with zero votes, thus far + making a few presumptuous presumptions about who is backing which name.

Sir Tomsche has made us some nice suggestions, but he might be suffering from a caffeine overdose, so we'll keep his suggestions by the side for now :p (Any Corrie is free to back those suggestions, of course)

New Corrington - 3 votes: SilentWolf, Captain Dee, Fuzzy McFuzz

Alcock - 2 votes: Mike S, Sir Stig

Lalaland - 1 vote: Tomsche (+3 violent objections: Bregir, Mike S, Captain Dee)

Cocovia - 4 votes: Brickon, CelesAurivern, Captain Dee, Fuzzy McFuzz

Montoya - 2 vote: Mike S, Sir Stig

Sir Stig is from Eslandola, not sure his vote counts here...pirate_wink.gif Don't forget to add Tivall and Rhyn. I kind of like those as well.

CelesAurivern, you might not want to count my name, since I am not from Corringon. I just had a suggestion that I found fitting for how the Island is described.

Oh right, brain fart :p

And the names to honor Ska?

The Skandialand series should be coming up for CH2.

Stay tuned, folks :D

Since there are rumors of a continent to the far east, perhaps we should hold off on New Corrington, because Oleon will always have the bragging right that "ours is bigger than yours" They are a simple folk, so this kind of insult means something to them, but as good Corlanders, we should not give them it.

Sandive, Wendon, Parineer, Edgarton, Ballista, Badelphia, Serentia, Finnister, Shokeer....

We can always make up royal family members too and name stuff after them - Duchess Alice, Viscount Morris, Duke Damien, etc...

Since there are rumors of a continent to the far east, perhaps we should hold off on New Corrington, because Oleon will always have the bragging right that "ours is bigger than yours" They are a simple folk, so this kind of insult means something to them, but as good Corlanders, we should not give them it.

Hmmm... good point there. Okay, I withdraw my vote for "New Corrington." "Ballista" sounds cool but I'm not sure about naming an island that... We already have "Annetta" and the city of "Arlinsport"...

What about some variation of "Rossa" (Italian for "red")?

Hmmm... good point there. Okay, I withdraw my vote for "New Corrington." "Ballista" sounds cool but I'm not sure about naming an island that... We already have "Annetta" and the city of "Arlinsport"...

What about some variation of "Rossa" (Italian for "red")?

Rosetta? Could be a sister to the queen, and copmlements really well with Anetta...

I like Ska's "Serentia" for #2 and agree we should save "New Corrington" for later. Interestingly Google tells me Serentia may be derived from the latin verb serō ‎ - to plant or sow. Appropriate for a new colony where the soil is rumoured to be quite good.

For #10 I also violently object to Lalaland (Sorry Tomsche! pir_laugh2.gif ). On reflection I prefer "Cacao" for this on, but since I appear to be on my own I don't object to Cocovia or Cocaun.

Also Dirk Allcock doesn't object to an Island named after him, although he'd prefer it if his name was spelt correctly pirate_laugh_new.gif ! He does however feel that maybe a settlement or smaller Island might be more appropriate for a man of his humble status.

Rosetta? Could be a sister to the queen, and copmlements really well with Anetta...

"Rosetta" is nice. That's my nomination for #2. Thanks for the idea Titus.