Jockos

How many sets do you own?

Oh, collecting age, I have been collecting since the age of 5. There hasn't been a single year in 22 that I have not got a set :classic:

When I used to keep a record I could see that from the age of 17 there was an increase in the number of sets I bought in a year, mainly because I had an income independent of pocket-money! At one point Ihad purchased more sets in a year than I had in my whole collection as a child :grin: (Living the dream!)

Related to your ages, how long have you been collecting the sets? I dunno, if it's good, if I have roughly 610 sets, including maximum 10 books with gears, otherwise everything is pure Lego and I'm nearly 18.

It's not good. I think a fair rate is 50 sets for each year on this planet. So you're about 300 behind pace. Please try harder. ;-)

I'm just starting collecting Lego sets properly since last year, so I don't have too many sets. But however, my interest with Lego is started when I was 15 years old (Kinda late for me).

Related to your ages, how long have you been collecting the sets? I dunno, if it's good, if I have roughly 610 sets, including maximum 10 books with gears, otherwise everything is pure Lego and I'm nearly 18.

My oldest sets date to the late 1960's, and Brickset shows birthday and holiday collection expansion throughout the 1970's followed by a marked fall-off in the 1980's (when I was trying to save for / pay for / attend college). The early years were very lean for me as times were pretty tight for my family. Still, even by that meager standard, purchases/gifts received slowed to a trickle until the latter 1990's when I returned to the world of LEGO with an actual disposable income.

So for a more direct comparison, by the time _I_ was 18 I only had a few dozen sets; lately, I buy a few dozen unique sets per year.

Related to your ages, how long have you been collecting the sets?

I've been at it since 2000, I'm 21 now. The last two years I didn't but Lego sets, but it was because I was living in South America: and during that time my parents bought me several sets to build shortly after I returned from South America.And then I went to the Lego Store and bought a few of the sets I had missed. I actually went to the Lego Store before I checked Brickset to see what was new, so everything in the store was a surprise!

Edited by xboxtravis7992

Lol, that Leia.

Anyway, to make it a bit more Jabba's palace, you might give it a second small tower behind/next to the roof you have now. It shouldn't be big, but it will give it more an idea that it is Jabba's palace instead of a random tatooine building i guess.

More than I care to admit to!

More than I can ever build.

More than I can ever display.

I am afraid to count!

But way, way, way less than 1000! I will never have 1000 LEGO sets!

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I had 3 sets when I was 18. Since you are not 18 yet, you have lots of time to reach 1000+ sets before you even qualify for the Older Than Dirt tag on Eurobricks.

For me it's all just one big set. Periodically I may buy a box from Lego, build something from it, take it apart, and dump the pieces into my set!

I as well have been collecting since prolly 1975. I have no idea how many sets i have. Neither any clue as to how many bricks i have collected throughout time from markets, PAB walls, people selling their old LEGO and so on.

But my sisters son always tells me when he visits me:

You have more LEGO than the LEGO shop.

So i guess i have a lot :blush:

According to Brickset, which I haven't updated my collection there in a year or so, I have 1616 sets. I'm currently 17 years old and have been collecting for my entire life, being raised in a family that also collects LEGO. Many of these sets are shared in our collection. http://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-Meiko According to Brickset I have 1889 minifigures. http://brickset.com/minifigs/ownedby-Meiko

I'm fairly new to LEGO and only have 1 set so far. The creator log cabin. I'm debating on what to buy next. I have about 9 minifigures and one on the way

Edit: I actually have two sets, I was forgetting a small seasonal turkey build I have

Edited by Blue_Bird

I've been collecting mine for 11 years, and I'm about to turn 16. I already have around 30,000 parts like I said which averages around 3,000 parts a year. However I expect my yearly average to go up severely once I have my own job, hopefully to around 12,000 parts a year.

My Brickset inventory says I have 960 sets, 601 of which are unique and 2117 minifigs. About 250 of the sets are NISB (new in sealed box) And about 15 of them are NISB modular buildings. I have all the modulars builded in my city too, ChillVille (instagram.com/chilis_no). Included pick-a-brick bricks i have over 500.000 bricks. -More to come :)

Edited by Chilis

Nice to have avid collectors on here but ... have you ever wondered what would happen to such sets were you to 'depart' to another 'world'?

I look at all my sets, and often wonder if this whole collecting was a good idea to start with ... oh and I have in excess of 300 sets.

Nice to have avid collectors on here but ... have you ever wondered what would happen to such sets were you to 'depart' to another 'world'?

I look at all my sets, and often wonder if this whole collecting was a good idea to start with ...

I can identify with your question, I think about that occasionally, but I think my adult son would like most of them.

I do often wonder why I continue to buy... I have been slowing my buying, but I still buy 6 to 10 large sets per year, build maybe half. I hope I can change my building rate in 2016.

I guess we older LEGO collectors tend think these things occasionally...

Andy D

After coming out of my dark ages with a vengeance, I refuse to let any set I want slip through my hands. There are too many that have retired and are CRAZY expensive now.

I'm not sure where my 1000's of sets are going to go when I pass, but I know it will be worth a small fortune for whoever gets to "deal" with it.

Long story short, life's too short to miss out on the UCS Falcon!

(Which I built from my bulk and BrickLink)

Edited by redtrooper27

I'm not sure where my 1000's of sets are going to go when I pass, but I know it will be worth a small fortune for whoever gets to "deal" with it.

That's the really nice thing about Lego; it tends to retain it's value over long periods of time (and sometimes even grow in value!).

My grandma passed last year and she had collected all these little ceramic tea sets and tiny dolls and tiny ceramic things I don't even have the words to describe. I thought my Lego collection was a getting a bit over the top, but it's nothing next to the ceramic stuff my grandma had in her house. We tried to sell some of it, but in general it didn't have much monetary value so we wound up donating the vast majority of it.

So, upon our passing, at least someone can make some money if they don't want to keep the Lego collections - and that means other people get a chance to experience some of the older sets some of us had collected during our lives. Win - Win.