This car grabbed my attention a few months ago so I decided to try to build it. The design parameters that I want to achieve include the following:

• Tough enough to withstand my kids playing with it.
  • Simple enough for my kids to explore the functions
  • Copy the rear triplex suspension set up of the Koenigsegg One:1 as closely as possible
  • Replicate the front suspension set up
  • Syncro dihedral door hinges!!
  • Paddle shift gearbox
  • A good approximation of the real car with the bodywork.

Pictures below show WIP so far. I am happy with the front and rear suspension set ups, using the standard hubs does not allow for so much versatility in the build but at least the wheel stay on

The gear box is 3 speed plus reverse. I decided on this compromise as I really wanted to try to build a paddle shift gearbox. The shift mechanism is complete, I just need to sort out the linkage to the paddle shifters and work out if this can be made sturdy enough to change the gears or whether the paddles will be purely aesthetic - i.e. they will move correctly when the gear is shifted but the actual lever that is pulled is located elsewhere

The door hinges are done. I used actuators rather than sprung dampers as the actuators are much easier for kids to operate. The dampers need quite a lot of force to push in.

I am starting to work on the body work, but don't expect a final model anytime too soon!!!!

imgp0326_small.jpg

imgp0328_small.jpg

Rear Suspension

imgp0332_small.jpg

Front Suspension

imgp0333_small.jpg

Impressive, really love your door hinge mechanism which is so typical for this brand. It is already recognisable as a Koenigsegg.

Curious to see the rest, good luck.

Impressive, really love your door hinge mechanism which is so typical for this brand. It is already recognisable as a Koenigsegg.

Curious to see the rest, good luck.

The door hinge.

imgp0337_small.jpg

I failed miserably with my 4-speed sequential gearbox, so I'm very curious how you will solve it.

According to my experience with about 5 different concepts and 10-15 implementation attempts, I doubt that you can do pure paddle shifting, if you are aiming for playability and reliability. The slack will be too high and the hysteresis (direction-dependancy) of the driving ring clicking is quite big often resulting in two gears being engaged at the same time. Or use 2L connectors without rigdes if you are okay with not fully purists solutions, but I think even with those, the gearbox will be too sensitive for the strenght of rubber-bands (if any), the contidion/friction of other parts, etc.

PiterX did a paddle shifting gearbox, but that would be too big for your car.

EDIT: or I am just simply not smart enough to design such a system. Anyhoo, do you have pictures of your gear switching mechanism?

Edited by Lipko

Regarding the gear box, it shifts quite reliably using those 2 red liftarms at the front which are there for testing purposes. I am quite happy with the selection mechanism. In the gear box I have used the 2L connectors without ridges, but I do not see that as a non purist solution, rather it is using the best piece of Lego for the job required.

My concern is the final linkages from the paddles to the point where currently the red liftarms attach will not be strong enough to take the force required. So like you I have my doubts but I will look for a solution to that.

Regarding the gear box, it shifts quite reliably using those 2 red liftarms at the front which are there for testing purposes. I am quite happy with the selection mechanism. In the gear box I have used the 2L connectors without ridges, but I do not see that as a non purist solution, rather it is using the best piece of Lego for the job required.

My concern is the final linkages from the paddles to the point where currently the red liftarms attach will not be strong enough to take the force required. So like you I have my doubts but I will look for a solution to that.

Regarding the illegal thing, maybe it's not illegal, but I remember some arguing about that.

The other problem with my gearbox was that it required long operation movements or too much force to operate (using connector with ridges). The other thing I didn't try is to use a linear rack to operate the switching mechanism istead of using a rotating mechanism, but I ran out of space.

Maybe I should have a little less strict and either use smooth connectors and/or adding some clutch gears if the gearbox does stuck in two speeds.

I'll post some LDD shots about my failed attempts.

Edited by Lipko

Hey Pvdb,

I´m a big fan of your previous Koenigsegg :blush: (and the McLaren of course). The gearbox you had made back then was incredible and I have no doubt about the new one in progress beeing a very good one. Could you post a pic or file of it as it is? I´m about to learn everything about the existing gearboxes and especially the shifting mechanisms. Thanks in advance!

Edited by brunojj1

This is starting to look quite great, really. Love your door mechanism. Also, the rear end pretty much says "Koenigsegg", so I'm curious how the rest of the bodywork will work out. Also, nice seats :)

Looking good so far!

Very interesting suspension setups... And very interesting doormechanism. I think you made the right choice for the mini-LA's. I tried to use the damper-pieces in my Mistress as well, but it just takes too much force to compress them... You either get a very local force-path, typically resulting in a somewhat loose door, or you have to route all that force through the door in which case closing the door becomes a pain...

Looking forward for more progress pictures

Hey Pvdb,

I´m a big fan of your previous Koenigsegg :blush: (and the McLaren of course). The gearbox you had made back then was incredible and I have no doubt about the new one in progress beeing a very good one. Could you post a pic or file of it as it is? I´m about to learn everything about the existing gearboxes and especially the shifting mechanisms. Thanks in advance!

The Gearbox is buried too deep so I will have to digitise it in MLCad. Here is the first part - the gear shift mechanism. The image is just missing one rubber band which is held by the two tow balls and holds the beam 3 against the knob wheel with a bit of force.

I will do more Cad over the next week and add some more images of the gearbox.

koenigsegg_one-1_gearbox2.jpg

Edited by Pvdb

The Gearbox is buried too deep so I will have to digitise it in MLCad. Here is the first part - the gear shift mechanism. The image is just missing one rubber band which is held by the two tow balls and holds the beam 3 against the knob wheel with a bit of force.

I will do more Cad over the next week and add some more images of the gearbox.

Very nice switching mechanism. Two questions though, both related to the forces needed to switch gears:

1) Do the bionicle teeth stay on the #2 connectors, or do they slowly wiggle themselves of the friction pin with axle?

2) Can the CV-joints take the stress of switching?

I now realize that the CV-joints won't be stressed if you use the old switchingrings with the smooth axle-connectors. Do you use those?

Oh, and are the red levers spring-loaded so that they automatically return to their original position?

Pretty cool.. :thumbup:

I have a new door mechanism for a new model that I had to put on hold a few months back that uses the small turntables as well.. The design and the way they are used is completely different than yours though..

Edited by Paul Boratko

Very good body curves.

Don't like the engine, transparent parts just don't do it for me.

If I get my hands on a second hand 8455, the first thing I will do is changing the engine block to LBG

A few recent replies to this post reminded me that I was supposed to be updating this WIP thread from time to time. Here is some progress, quite a lot to do still although the body work is starting to take shape.

imgp0694.jpg

imgp0691.jpg

imgp0684.jpg

Amazing work so far, it looks awesome. The work of a builder with an attention to detail bordering on the fanatical :classic:

Edited by grum64

You have perfectly captured the lines of the car, The side and rear view look fantastic.

However, IMHO the front end is too busy - there are way too many angled connectors in there for my liking. I understand it's still WIP so lets see what you can come up with!