CM4Sci

2016 Speed Champions Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Haha, The Z06 finally shows up! :grin: I gotta say it's the best looking car out of that entire line, full stop. There's no question that's a Corvette. I'll be biased and say I still like my version better :tongue: , but hey, I might mix-and-match. It's cool that aside from the usual Speed Champion elements some design cues from it and my version are the same. At least, more similar than my R8 vs TLG's R8.

I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like the new wedge plate appears in one set only.

I think one of the sets stacks them and uses them for the grill of one of the cars, also.

The Corvette looks good and maybe I will get it for a first-week purchase with the R18. Still didn't like the red Camaro and the Mustang.

I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like the new wedge plate appears in one set only.

No. I can also see the 2x2 wedge plates been used in the Corvette set in yellow.

Edited by ArmstrongYong

Awesome! Lots of good stuff in those pics but that American muscle is delicious.

As a Mustang guy, I have to like that one. TLG did a pretty good job with a very curvaceous car to copy.

The real hit for me is the classic camaro. Amazing representation.

On the other hand, the late model camaro looks like a bit of a blocky mess.

Vette looks right. I'm going to have fun modding that one to 8-studs wide.

Raptor and hot rod look great. The Ford logo valve cover is a dream come true! I'm kind if surprised how much I like the trailer and garage stuff.

Looks like bright light orange, to me. Compare with the curved bit behind the hot rod engine, which looks yellow.

I doubt it'll be Bright Light Orange. Yellow tends to be a traditional Corvette colour.

Hope these are ok to post. Maybe too big?

1. a. The big Porsche set is the star of the show. Making the first prototype winner and the newest prototype winner the subject is inspired, and the cars themselves are spot-on. The 919, in particular, would be second-guessed as a metal model from a bit further out. The 917K isn't too shabby, albeit the front end can be lower and use more curves (1x4 curved slope, perhaps?)
    b. That said, the pit area stands up so well to the quality of the cars. Almost a full suite of pretty much everything one can find in top-tier competition, and I wouldn't even mind the stickers (in fact, I want re-prints of all the monitor stickers for the theme, because they're useful, same for all the race cars, the 919 in particular), plus a cool play-value-added way to load & unload cars.
    c. I'd have wanted a more period-correct minifig for the 917K driver, but that's my only nitpick.
    Pre-final score: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup::blush: /10 :drool::wub_drool: GIVE IT TO ME NOW!!! :excited:
  2. Hmm... I adore the R18 e-tron quattro, and in particular, how the sides are shaped, but I think it's a few studs too short to make said good side job stand out.
    Pre-final score: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :classic: /10 worthy adversary, but like in real life, falls short :sadnew: to the mighty Porsche.
  3. a. OK, so I say the R8 LMS ultra's front is the laziest of the bunch, but then I don't think Hoexbroe's technique is legal either. Now that I think about it, though, those new 2-stud wedges could do the trick.
    b. The side blade solution works, and works well.
    c. I wouldn't know if the R8 works as an R8 until the giant (and nice) wing comes off, but I think it'll represent an actual R8 well.
    Pre-final score: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: /10 does the job, but only good enough. :laugh:
  4. Between the two Camaros, I like the older, black one better. The new one just doesn't match up (though... are those stacked wedge plates on the grille?) from the front end to the back.
    Pre-final score: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: /10 Z/28 is :wub_drool: newer Camaro is *huh*
  5. The Corvette, though. Dear God the Corvette just shines. Everything about it is accurate and well-rendered, and surprisingly lends well to the one-seat City-style format. I was right about the front being a sticker, but it's fine by me.
    Pre-final score: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup::wub: /10 I want it.
  6. a. The great, big problem with the Mustang, for me, is how far the headlights are set. THEY'RE RIGHT AT THE SIDE OF THE CAR, DANG-FREAKING-NABBIT!!!
    b. The rest of the car, though? pretty spot-on, actually. Lines and shapes are accurate to the real thing, and the new 2-line 5-spoke fits the model.
    Pre-final verdict: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :grin::sceptic: /10 Fix the front, then we'll talk.
  7. a. While the hot rod isn't as earth-shattering as Calin's builds, it works like a charm. It's effective at being a Model A custom rod, and designed well.
    b. The same, sadly, cannot be said for the Ford Raptor. Look at this photo of the real thing. Now come back to the LEGO one. Look at the real thing, then go back to the catalog shot. Do it repeatedly. After doing 60 reps, here's what I think: the accuracy, while good, is less elegant than even the R8, but what really gets my goat is that the truck seems way too short--or the camera angle is off-putting for the truck. Either way, while it is representative Ford Raptor, it isn't as nice as I imagined it to be.
    c. As for the rest of the playset, it's ace. The drag tree, the garage, even the engine picker that's useful if one wants to fry turkey next Thanksgiving, all complement the set in a good way.
    Pre-final score: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :grin::hmpf_bad: /10 May need some modifying

All in all, the momentum this theme already has on Wave 1 gets boosted big-time, with accurate and lovely models backed by excellent diorama pieces. The new wedge pieces and hubcaps are welcome additions, and recolors are welcome. For sticker-phobes, deal with it :tongue::devil: . For Le Mans fans and muscle fans, it's time to party. :angel_sing::grin_wub: For me, I breathe a sigh of relief, and I smile. :snicker: This theme will go a long way.

If you find this long-winded, sorry. If you don't agree with me, be my guest, just don't come out guns-ablaze.

Edited by Rick
Don't quote images unnecessarily.

Ford pickup needs a lower roof and less tilted windscreen.

Corvette just looks like he's eating a Big Mac. the headlights should be the same plates as as the bottom but transparant.

Porsche set is stunning :wub:

Am I alone in thinking the FORD Model A hot rod would look better reworked into a regular car, like something for Adventurers? I also think the 69 Chevy modified back to it's original shape (AKA minus the supercharged engine) would look nice on a 60's layout along side the VW bus I made.

Thanks for the pics! My favourites are:

1. The Porsche 917. Of course, the whole thing must be set down as much as possible (the 917 is an extremely low car), and I have no idea how to build proper headlights yet. But the shaping is nice, especially at the rear, the canopy is fitting very well here, and there are those great stickers.
  2. The Hot Rod. It has a nice shaping to it, and the two-color design with that great flame sticker is a fine thing for moccing purposes.
  3. The Camaro Dragster. Proper headlights can be applied easily on this one, it seems. Also the proportions with the otherwise too narrow 4w roof are working - it's just a pumped-up Dragster with extended fenders. Apart from this, I like the shaping as such, it has a characteristic Camaro feel to it.

The others aren't bad, too, but I have the impression that their design is characterized too much by the stickerwork (referring to stickers as a replacement for constructive elements like headlights or grilles). Proportions and overall size remain arguable. On the other hand there are quite a few nice shaping solutions on all of them. Anyhow, I'll have to buy the more expensive sets, I guess ... :wink:

Can anyone identify the round parts they are using on the light tree in the hot-rod set? Or the way that tree is built in general?

The new sets are a huge step up from 2015 sets, the Chev's and the Ford's I can't wait to buy.......hmm, knock up my own stickers too for the Ford's to MOC other colours. :grin:

The Ford Raptor looks like it has suspension. Although I don't think it'll have, I hope it does have.

It could be possible with rubber bands like here 0:35

Max

The Corvette looks good and maybe I will get it for a first-week purchase with the R18. Still didn't like the red Camaro and the Mustang.

No. I can also see the 2x2 wedge plates been used in the Corvette set in yellow.

I can see that 2x2 wedge plate on the Corvette, red Camaro and the R8 LMS.

OK, after looking these over for a few days i have come to the same conclusion as many of you, the Le Mans cars are what I'm after primarily the 917 / 919. and a huge part of me wants to keep the set as released by Lego, but at the same time i really want to modify it to scale better to my Ford GT40 i built with the smaller wheels and fenders. looks like I'll be brick-linking those stickers and the canopy piece.

that said the only car i really don't care for is the Mustang, so as terrifying as it is to say i think i may end up getting this whole wave (even the mustang cause well why not at that point right?)

and seeing the euro prices just confirms the early speculation prices which aren't to bad at all. now when can i buy these :)

I believe that last year was scheduled for an April release, was it not? I remember getting mine in March.

Edited by SirBlake

Crap. Lego really knows how to make me spend all my money. I was planning on just getting the Mustang, since I own a 2013 Mustang, but the sets look so nice, it looks like I'll grab them all, even the Camaro one. :tongue: