Bregir

The River Port of the Trifork (HSS Nautical)

The Trifork, located at the junction of several busy waterways, has long prospered from the trade of goods flowing up and down the rivers. One of the first stone structures to be raised, the main quay has long allowed ships of all sizes to dock and exchange goods and passengers.

16377042587_ae443d0064_z.jpg

(HSS Nautical: Harbourmasters office and lighthouse & HSS Labourer: Warehouse)

All harbour administration, as well as collection of tolls and dues, is handled by the harbourmaster. The stately sandstone building overlooks the port area and commands the only entrance to the quay. Due to frequent fogs on the Trifork lake, a lighthouse has been erected in connection with the harbourmasters office to lead ships safely to the port.

Next to the harbourmaster, the busiest warehouse of the Trifork is located, holding most of the transit goods passing through the port. Goods intended for the city itself is normally shipped directly to merchants and warehouses in the city, but those goods waiting to be loaded onto another ship is kept safe in this warehouse.

16562973825_78640bf1dd_c.jpg

(HSS Nautical: Shipyard)

Next to the quay, the local shipyard is placed. Its experienced shipwrights are renowned for their swift and manoeuvrable river crafts.

Due to popular demand, the slipway is rarely empty, and many of the ships navigating the Avalonian rivers was built here.

In times of war, fast and agile warships can be lauched at an impressive pace, given the proper ressources are available.

16377043977_f0c6cb9b22_c.jpg

(HSS Nautical: Quay and Cranes)

The quay is rarely empty, and right now the Swiftsure patrol craft is being outfitted for another patrol, a merchants ship is being unloaded, and a small traders boat is docking.

At times, the port is so busy that several ships que up awaiting docking space.

The port is one of the key elements in the city's prosperity, and the council goes great lengths to protect its interests on the Trifork lake, as well as up and down the rivers. In the recent turmoil, rivertrade has gone up, as merchants are less vulnerable on the rivers than on the roads. Further, the river port is a great asset in times of siege, where supplies can be brought in under the nose of the besiegers.

________________________________________________________________________________

Additional photos:

16377043887_12102ee0cd_z.jpg

16536958166_65fe21ba8e_z.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________

A note to the photos:

I found it really hard to photograph such a large build. And since photographing isn't my strongest point, the size didn't help me out. Tips are welcome, and I hope you can see past the questionable quality of the photos! :classic:

Comments and criticism welcome :classic:

Edited by Bregir

Fantastic build! :wub: I really like the roof on the sand green/bley building and the lighthouse is excellent :thumbup:

I would have possibly added some waves to the water, though :classic:

Overall scene and esp. the shipyard are fine. Using white heads for sails is good too!

But actually this looks like it should belong into the Pirates section!

This is really cool! The water is a bit plain but I understand that can be a struggle to do. Anyways,mthe sand green building is very nice and so is the tan one. Although fir such a bust port, the warehouse seems a bit small.

Always great to see another GoH harbor! The buildings look great, very cool color choices :thumbup:

Lots of neat boat designs as well :classic:

Excellent build! The small brown ship,the crane and the hull under construction are all great, but the lighthouse/port authority building is beautiful. Great work!

Nice build! Building big sure gives issues photographing, but you did great. Love the shipyard, and the livelyness of the harbor. :thumbup:

Nice moc! The buildings look fantastic, especially the lighthouse! My only criticism is that compared to the very detailed building, the street and water look very dull and plain.

Overall scene and esp. the shipyard are fine. Using white heads for sails is good too!

They had ships in medival times too,you know

Absolutely amazing to see Trifork grow so fast!!! I love the buildings and the details you put in it!

A very nice build all around. I like the little boats you've built, but love the hull under construction. Good stuff!

Thanks! The ships and the hull have all been built for a long time, just awaiting a setting to put them into!

Fantastic build! :wub: I really like the roof on the sand green/bley building and the lighthouse is excellent :thumbup:

I would have possibly added some waves to the water, though :classic:

Thank you, LJ! I agree about the water, but must admit that was a compromise I made with myself. :sceptic:

Was a big build to have standing on my desk, and it had been standing there for a long time! :tongue:

Impressive! The ship in thee process of being built looks awesome.

Thanks - a lot of people seem to like it :sweet:

I wonder how a finished ship built with this technique would work...

Nice! I like the lighthouse and the shipyard!

Thanks LV - this is were the long needed shipments of weapons from Shadowmere are shipped into the Trifork - If you are lucky, one day payment will be shipped the other way! :grin:

I really like that you included a ship in progress. Very cool stuff.

Thank you, ElCrab.

Actually, those heads are grey, but still, thanks - was a touch of inspiration :classic:

I see what you mean, and it *could* fit in there, but I think it fits in fine here too. :sweet:

This is really cool! The water is a bit plain but I understand that can be a struggle to do. Anyways,mthe sand green building is very nice and so is the tan one. Although fir such a bust port, the warehouse seems a bit small.

Glad you like it, CH. :thumbup: The water's plainess was a compromise, I admit, but I too like both buildings.

I see your point about the warehouse - but with 4 floors, I think it is ok, considering that only transit goods are stored here. (I am not making excuses, not at all... :tongue: )

Impressive!

Thanks, Jakorin! :classic:

Always great to see another GoH harbor! The buildings look great, very cool color choices :thumbup:

Lots of neat boat designs as well :classic:

Thanks - after seeing rogueang, Maxim and kabel's ports (amongst others) I got inspired. Although I can only dream of reaching their level!

And, seeing that the Trifork is a river trading town, I sort of have to build a port :tongue:

I like the houses. The skull heads for sails are inventive.

Thanks, bluefiji - had originally built a sail for that ship, but that didn't work as I wanted it to be docked.

Excellent build! The small brown ship,the crane and the hull under construction are all great, but the lighthouse/port authority building is beautiful. Great work!

Thanks, chief! Your own port was quite an inspiration, especially in terms of depicting life on the quay's.

Nice build! Building big sure gives issues photographing, but you did great. Love the shipyard, and the livelyness of the harbor. :thumbup:

I would say great is an overstatement, but thanks anyway - you are an expert yourself, as one of your latest builds revealed!! Glad you like the life - was one of my focus points! :sweet:

Nice moc! The buildings look fantastic, especially the lighthouse! My only criticism is that compared to the very detailed building, the street and water look very dull and plain.

They had ships in medival times too,you know

Thanks, Lord Dan. :sweet:

I agree - should have detailed both water and quay a bit more. With a big build, I often end up foregoing the details... :sceptic:

Absolutely amazing to see Trifork grow so fast!!! I love the buildings and the details you put in it!

Thanks, Maxim - you are an expert in port building yourself! :classic:

And yes, a spell of inspiration and motivation coupled with available time does a lot for the progress! :laugh:

Really beautiful work on the buildings! I love how much detail you've included, without the buildings looking rugged/decrepit. Like Lord Dan, I'd like to see more texture on the horizontal parts of the build, but overall, very nice work!