I've finished building this model on Sunday, it took me over a day to build it :)

I'm not happy with the result - most functions don't work properly.

1. The stabilizers on the left and right don't move fluid, they jiggle a bit whilst moving out.

2, The crane didn't move at all at first - I thought I placed something wrong so I took it apart again and had a look again, I then figured that some of the hoses would block the gear that makes the crane move left/right - I could fix that but doesn't really help - the crane's movement is unacceptable!

3. The shovel doesn't open/close on its own - I have to push it open with my fingers, same for closing again.

4. The crane doesn't seem to have enoug power, if I extend the last part it gets down a bit, after a few seconds it gets pumped up again.

5. When driving straight the front tyres will eventually turn a bit to either the left or right - it doesn't stay straight when pushing the truck forward for me.

Also I'm worried that I ruined the stabilizers - I lifted them up (unlike shown in pictures) - I lifted them up to the very end - then on the other side it made a very loud noise and I was unable to do it there. I guess it was too heavy. I'm worried that sth is damaged there now, should I be worried????

All in all nothing moves perfect in this model - the thousand hoses put in such little space is unacceptable!

I either have made mistakes in the build or it simply isn't better :(

I got some of your problems as well but as I only display my models they did not bother me too much.

1. Mine work ok, no problems here. Look at the gears, maybe something prevents them from moving freely.

2. I have the same problem - but I do not have the patience to take apart all the pneumatics and rearrange them.

3. Same here.

4. I do not have this problem, look at the hoses so they are properly attached and no air is leaking out.

5. Do not have this problem.

With the motor off, try switching each pneumatic function and moving it by hand in either direction. Each function should be movable by hand in the direction you switch it to.

See if you can hear a hiss at the compressor, where air should be leaking in past its piston as it takes in air when you move the cylinder.

If you don't hear a hiss, there may be a blockage. See if the blockage is for all functions or just a few.

If it is for all functions, the blockage is probably in a blue tube - the common supply.

If it is for some functions only, it would be in the grey or black tube of that function.

Mark

That is fascinating, yet wonderfully awkward! Interesting outrigger motion on the trailer of the B-model - will need to go watch again.

oh Markus his english is bad but also so funny when he can't get to the right word. luckally his sets ARE way better :)

and finally building instructions for the B model to

It's very smooth probably smoother than the other (older) ones. The crane moves really smooth most of the time but I only have a small part where it's probably a bit blocked by all the hoses surrounding the turntable.

Thanks NioN! :classic:

What about play between the top and bottom halves of the turntable? Is there much loose movement like what was in the old ones, or has this been tightened up?

It looks like the clips holding the 2 halves together are on the outside of the new version.

Thanks NioN! :classic:

What about play between the top and bottom halves of the turntable? Is there much loose movement like what was in the old ones, or has this been tightened up?

It looks like the clips holding the 2 halves together are on the outside of the new version.

Yup, clips are on the outside. There is much less slop in the new one, hardly any, but still turns smooth and freely.

I hope this build is what everyone expected! I am not getting any LEGO this year because college costs r on the way, but hopefully I can pick some of these up later on. Happy building everyone

I've got the B-model instructions!!

Although it is not published on Lego yet, a lovely lady from Lego customer services has provided me with that. Here are the links:

http://cache.lego.com/r/service/-/media/franchises/technic/products/bi/b%20models/42043BDigitalbi1240.pdf

http://cache.lego.com/r/service/-/media/franchises/technic/products/bi/b%20models/42043bdigitalbi241472.pdf

Have fun building!

Thanx!

I wanted to check the front suspension and this helped me to find out that Arocs got pendular suspension... Also nice to see how the steering works... :)

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

Thanx!

I wanted to check the front suspension and this helped me to find out that Arocs got pendular suspension... Also nice to see how the steering works... :)

Max...

Erm, It doesn't have pendular suspension. It has two independent live axles at the front and a bogie axle at the back.

When I look in instructions the front axis is connected at the top via new steeting arm in the middle... So there's side inclination point of the whole front axle and suspension is dependent... The axle transmits also no power to wheels...

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

That's not pendular suspension. Pendular suspension is like what you get on the rear axle of 42030, the axle doesn't move up and down, it just pivots about a fixed axis of rotation. The arocs has live axle suspension.

OK, I found it...

I was looking on my posted picture... As I said the axis is connected to the steering arm in the middle...

I thought that this middle steering arm does not move... that is hard attached on the left side to the left block and this block is hard attached to chassis above via 2 blue long pins...

But the middle steering arm is attached to 2 yellow 2L beams that can move up/down... so the steering arm can also move...

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

If you neatly arrange the pneumatic pipes that should ease the rotation. On the other hand, I saw a picture on Instagram of the 42043 built by username Brickgarage, the set was outfitted with 42029's standard wheels and tires, it looked cool but I asked him if they even work seamlessly with the set, as it appears they don't, Lego should have designed a new tire size that will fit to it's existing 43.2 x 18 wheel design, like the approach it did with its other larger diameter wheels, you can fit racing slicks, road-going tires, offroad balloon-style tires or as with the largest existing wheel size, you have the Unimog's tires which doubles for off-road and road going truck tires. The set looks very excellent, no doubt with that but the tires it just makes you think this set is begging to have larger more appropriately sized tires, the front section of this set has a very large gap to it too which looks a little awkward at first.

What blow away about the B-model after I looked at the instruction:

- It still retains 3 motorized functions and 4 pneumatic functions. Usually a B-model has less functions than an A-model, so as far as I know, this makes the 42043 B-model the only model so far that has the same number of functions as the A-model! (correct me if I'm wrong). Also probably the B-model with most number of functions.

- 1 spare wheel for the truck and 1 spare wheel for the trailer. I haven't seen a model with a spare wheel before. Very realistic!

- Creative reuse of parts. The clamshell bucket becomes the cover for the spare wheel. The two 6-hole disks in the two front wheels becomes the attachment disks between the truck and the trailer. The mini turntable between the two rear wheels become the turntable to rotate the basket of the crane.

- Most of all, the outriggers! When I first saw it in the back of the box I thought I had to manually push the outrigger down. But in fact, as you guys can see in the latest designer video, they lower down by themselves. This happen by lowering the whole racks using the motorized gears. When the outriggers are still inside the racks, the motorized gears will just push them out of the racks. But when the outriggers are all out, the gears can keep running and push one end of the racks down to the ground. Bloody amazing!

Edited by nguyengiangoc

What blow away about the B-model after I looked at the instruction:

- It still retains 3 motorized functions and 4 pneumatic functions. Usually a B-model has less functions than an A-model, so as far as I know, this makes the 42043 B-model the only model so far that has the same number of functions as the A-model! (correct me if I'm wrong). Also probably the B-model with most number of functions.

- 1 spare wheel for the truck and 1 spare wheel for the trailer. I haven't seen a model with a spare wheel before. Very realistic!

- Creative reuse of parts. The clamshell bucket becomes the cover for the spare wheel. The two 6-hole disks in the two front wheels becomes the attachment disks between the truck and the trailer. The mini turntable between the two rear wheels become the turntable to rotate the basket of the crane.

- Most of all, the outriggers! When I first saw it in the back of the box I thought I had to manually push the outrigger down. But in fact, as you guys can see in the latest designer video, they lower down by themselves. This happen by lowering the whole racks using the motorized gears. When the outriggers are still inside the racks, the motorized gears will just push them out of the racks. But when the outriggers are all out, the gears can keep running and push one end of the racks down to the ground. Bloody amazing!

Yeah it looks really nice, they could have only taken out the building instructions for the cabin as it's the same for the main model :P

Oh my god... Just got Crawler Crane and Arocs, and Arocs must weigh a ton. Too bad its still 2 days to weekend. I want to build both models first and then part out my 42009 Ultimate so i can use motors for RC modification to Arocs.

Very nice sets, actually best combo of flagship Technic sets ever.

How come Brickset and Rebrickable both set the piece count to 2506, Even though Brickset at the same also set the piece count to 2793?

42009 has a piece count of 2606 and should not be the set with most pieces.

http://brickset.com/sets/42043-1/Mercedes-Benz-Arocs-3245

I think it's because some parts are not yet official online @ Lego, such as tubes, buckets, outrigger parts etc. It even says that the part list of 2506 pcs covers only 89% out of the total of the sets 2900-ish pcs

As a novice, it took me 7 hours to build the first part (with the bags labelled "1")

Should I worry about ...

Left over ...

20152530949_f5e18112d2_k.jpg

And I was lacking 1x

20151097090_e22712cf39_b.jpg

So I took one piece from bag no. 5

Can I continue assembling? Or any suggestion ?

Don't worry about the left over parts, I had about the same after bag one and I was also missing the same piece, but I have plenty in stock and for such a small piece I didn't bother calling customer services, however if you want to call customer services they are very good and will send you a replacement piece asap.

Also missing the pin connector with axle hole. And a red 2l axle when buildig the cabin.

Edited by Jelmer

And I was lacking 1x

I had the same problem, I looked everywhere for that black part but couldn't find it. So I filled out a missing-parts form @Lego and I'm hoping to get it

As a novice, it took me 7 hours to build the first part (with the bags labelled "1")

Should I worry about ...

Left over ...

20152530949_f5e18112d2_k.jpg

And I was lacking 1x

Easy.

The part is not missing.

You made a mistake in the previous pages.

You put this connector on the left side and the right side, whereas the instruction says to put it only on one side (don't remember right or left).

If you take that part back, you will have what you need to complete the model correctly. ;)

Took me 3 days of building and photographing to get the set done! But I'm very pleased with the results, all functions seem to work pretty well.

HqG55SN.jpg

It was quite tricky to get all the pneumatic tubes to fit in the base of the arm, without bending or squeezing any. The bucket leans a bit to one side, because of the length of the grey tube used to connect the small cylinder, might shorten this one a bit more..

I thought I was missing an axle 4 with stop, but it turned out I used a 4L with stop somewhere instead of the 5L version. So in the end no missing parts, luckily. Ended up with these spares:

jBo3U0x.jpg

Could only discover one mistake in the building instructions, two blue 3L pins appeared out of nowhere (Page 255 step 2 jumped to Page 256 step 4, seems they accidentally left out step 3):

0YeVcpz.jpg

QzzCsNe.jpg

Uploaded a video to YouTube of the building process, in case anyone is interested!