Not going to happen. In order to sell on a shelf and engage with kids the sets needs to stand-alone in their own right and have a pretty obvious storyline, even if it is just the cliched good-vs-bas.

Lego wants kids to be able to play with the sets instantly not read a fantasy novel first. If it can't be explained in two catroon panels (ie. the back of the box) then it's too complex.

Both Chima and Ninjago, without the cartoons, would still have a very clear good-vs-evil motif running through it which would allow you to start playing with the sets; the capture the "chi" storyline is also fairly obvious.

Licensed themes are an exception but then they're often targetted at collectors or fans of the show/movie/etc... who already know the story and there's often a multi-billion dollar cross-medium advertising campaign ensuring that everyone knows the story regardless of whether they've seen the movie or read the book. Unlicensed themes don't have that benefit.

I think you are missing LK901's point. He means that the writer would be hired for the in-house Castle TV show storyline/scripts, and the designers make sets based on that story. A dream, if possible.

Edited by gedren_y

Agreed. Named characters; probably bright colours to stand out from each other and to make the boxes stand out when on the shelves. Wierd and wonderful siege engines.

Well, as long as we get them, we could always modify them. :classic:

I look forward to any new Castle because now that Lego uses metallic colours for the arms more often. That is good for heavily armoured characters.

i just hope we get some new moulds. I would die for a two part Gothc Sallet:

640px-Late_15th-century_armour.jpg

I actually do not care much what style the next Castle-line will have, as long as the we get some nice new prints and moulds. However, I would prefer some less conventional theme this time. Last Castle was extremely conventional Black/Red Evil-Dragon vs Silver/Blue Good-Lion. At least some new sigils would be nice.

Yes, the colors are sooooo boring already..... constant blue/red/gold vs green/black/red combos.....

Either give the exact same Kingdoms torsos so we can combine OR give some interesting new designs but not in same colors, we have thousands of colors, yet LEGO rotates 6..... how uninspirational for a Company who wants for their toys to inspire kids and peopel overall.

Isn't it time for some news about this new Castle line???

At least a confirmation :look:

No we need 1000 posts before we have any confirmation, almost there.

Isn't it time for some news about this new Castle line???

At least a confirmation :look:

I won't ask you to reveal your source, but can you confirm that there is a reliable source behind this? Something more substantial than a store manager?

Yes.

Yeeeah, as optimistic as most of us are (including myself), that's not confirmation. That's some guy (you) on the internet that says he knows a guy (?).

Confirmation would be TLG officially announcing something, or photos/catalog images being leaked.

Massively unlikely for SDCC, normally the rumour mill is far more substantial before we get any sort of official word.

I know that not everyone likes the bright colours of KKII but I really liked it for mini figures for a very fantasy themed LEGO world - one of things I don't like about the GoT TV show is the draining of some of the colours described in the books.

In all honesty though the main things I would like to see are:

Dragons - with How to Train Your Dragon still at least fairly popular and the new Smaug body part available (I know they can't use the head but the body is generic enough that it could be reused) available I'd love to see at least a couple but would be happy with just one.

Factions - more than just two factions would be great - if they handle it like Ninjago it could be humans vs orcs to begin with then move on to different, thats fine as long as they do. Look at how Chima worked for masses of factions, if you consider each tribe a faction then there's a method for them to intro several factions at once.

Creatures - Looking at the amount of magical creatures appearing in the Elves line I'd love to see more mini figure scale mythical creatures - if LEGO do a set with centaurs I will absolutely buy it day one (only ever done that with one set before!)

Don't go vehicle overkill - siege engines, battle towers and carriages are fine, but if we start getting pseudo steam punk helicopters and jets then I'm out

I just want yellow elves, I've been waiting for 'em since Fantasy Era. Don't care much about anything else.

See my signature. You had CMF elves (unbelievably, figures like "Piggy Guy" and "Bee Girl" actually are going for more than elves, according to the LEGO minifigure price guide), but I know they're too much money these days. It would be nice if they picked up where they left off with elves. I would love to see a forest kingdom with the grandeur of the Ewok Village instead of another "King's Castle."

If LEGO hired a proffesional fantasy writer (established and critically aclaimed) and gave him free rein with the story. Then the designers would do their magic and we would have an awesome story and awesome sets.

See what "The_Cook" wrote? I agree... but that doesn't mean you're in any way wrong to ask for it. One of the wonderful things about Middle Earth is that Tolkien approached it almost as if he were an archaeologist documenting the history of Middle Earth... starting with a creation story (for each of the races, in fact), and an a "general" history (some stories with more details than others) Both the LOTR and the Hobbit were just fleshed out stories that account for a tiny fraction of what happened on in ME (despite the significance of what happened in those stories). I think they did this for Fantasy; they did like a lot of fantasy writers do, and start with a map, then they flesh it out with factions, stories, locations of things... that's why there were elves on the map TLG gave us. Now they deny they meant to do elves at all, but that seems patently absurd under any kind of scrutiny, IMO; I believe LOTR killed Fantasy and they just didn't want Fantasy fans to be upset about it.

Not going to happen. In order to sell on a shelf and engage with kids the sets needs to stand-alone in their own right and have a pretty obvious storyline, even if it is just the cliched good-vs-bas.

Lego wants kids to be able to play with the sets instantly not read a fantasy novel first. If it can't be explained in two catroon panels (ie. the back of the box) then it's too complex.

They don't need to read a novel. It could be a cartoon series, like Elves, but it doesn't need to be - I think the idea is that with a good story comes good (and logical) set designs that work well with each other... you don't necessarily need to convey that story to the kids. Tolkien can pull off the Battle of Five Armies, but perhaps having humans, orcs, skellies, dwarves, and (theoretically) elves is too much for one LEGO line. Tolkien's story worked, but was too involved. A good fantasy writer could avoid that, keep it generic, and have sets that fit well together.

As much as I loved Fantasy (and would like to see it again), I hated skeletons (they are too supernatural, not really fantasy), and while sets like the "Troll Wheel" were good for parts, they weren't really great sets.

Edited by fred67

I they made sets with good designed factions, where the villains castles are gothic and dark, and the heroes castles are more elvish and earth toned, I would like that.

I know that not everyone likes the bright colours of KKII but I really liked it for mini figures for a very fantasy themed LEGO world - one of things I don't like about the GoT TV show is the draining of some of the colours described in the books.

Good point. I really dislike the idea that a medieval world, or a fantasy world inspired by the middle ages, must consist of browns and greys only. GoT, as much as I like the show, is one of the worst offenders in that regard.

Sure, some colours were hard to make in pre-modern times, and the average peasant may not have had many dyed cloths, but the knights and nobles generally wore bright colours.

So I am absolutely in favour of using a vibrant colour palette. If they mix it with the metallic colours Lego uses increasingly (light/dark pearl grey, gold), they could produce quite amazing results. As long as the knights look more like knights (and not like the KK2 power rangers), I am all for it.

See here:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Codex_Manesse

or here this...

V3FUwDs.jpg

Lego could do it!

Either give the exact same Kingdoms torsos so we can combine OR give some interesting new designs but not in same colors, we have thousands of colors, yet LEGO rotates 6..... how uninspirational for a Company who wants for their toys to inspire kids and peopel overall.

I think the lack of imagination is worse when it comes to sigils. I mean, I am tired of Red/Blue/Green too, but those were popular colours. But why using Lions and Dragons all over again? In the early and mid-90ies (when I was into Lego) I had Falcons, Lions, Dragons, Stags, and Wolves.

Edited by Flieger

Tolkien can pull off the Battle of Five Armies, but perhaps having humans, orcs, skellies, dwarves, and (theoretically) elves is too much for one LEGO line. Tolkien's story worked, but was too involved. A good fantasy writer could avoid that, keep it generic, and have sets that fit well together.

As much as I loved Fantasy (and would like to see it again), I hated skeletons (they are too supernatural, not really fantasy), and while sets like the "Troll Wheel" were good for parts, they weren't really great sets.

It seems like most people really aren't a fan of the skeleton faction so I hope Lego doesn't waste sets on them. I would love to see dwarves, elves, dark elves, goblins, and of course humans (which are standard no matter what direction the Castle theme goes). Furthermore I would like to see all the races included in each wave, but obviously the humans and goblins would be the "main" factions and have the most sets each time. That way if you get into the theme late when they are on say the second or third wave, you still have a chance to get some of the factions in retired sets.

I heard the new collectible minifigs will have a Gargoyle, I think those would be good as one of enemies in the villains faction.

Yeeeah, as optimistic as most of us are (including myself), that's not confirmation. That's some guy (you) on the internet that says he knows a guy (?).

Yes.... As much as I appreciate getting info, a rumor it's hardly a confirmation :sceptic:

I was talking about a teaser posted by LEGO on facebook (like the Bionicle return) or something

I heard the new collectible minifigs will have a Gargoyle, I think those would be good as one of enemies in the villains faction.

Yes but they gave a goofy look to some of the CMF S14 minifigures, like the Monster of Frankenstein dressed as a rocker, so I'd wait to see the final minifigure before making any plan with the Gargoyle

Edited by Robert8

Yes but they gave a goofy look to some of the CMF S14 minifigures, like the Monster of Frankenstein dressed as a rocker, so I'd wait to see the final minifigure before making any plans with the Gargoyle

I share your fear regarding the CMF14 gargoyle, as this minifig might be completely ruined by a stupid head or body print.

Edited by Gibbon

There is an image of the Gargoyle headpiece (not a full moulded head) doing the rounds, so worst case scenario is to use it with other grey mini figure parts. I wouldn't be surprised if a future modular (particularly a future corner one) has a gargoyle on the roof using the headpiece and oa plain grey head and torso with brick built legs.

I think the lack of imagination is worse when it comes to sigils. I mean, I am tired of Red/Blue/Green too, but those were popular colours. But why using Lions and Dragons all over again? In the early and mid-90ies (when I was into Lego) I had Falcons, Lions, Dragons, Stags, and Wolves.

Yes that aswell.... The problem I have with generic LEGO castle is that either new line uses same sigil (lion vs dragon) but its changed enough so that together it looks ridiculously bad with old sets (Kingdoms now for example) or its same color aswell and thats it, you cannot have 2 factions with same color....

So now we have red vs green in Kingdoms, if they do red vs green with same lion vs dragon heraldry and its too different from old torsos it will look crap to me, cannot mix them..... so i hope they do atleast something like purple vs white, or whatever..... just not blue, gold, green, red again.... tired of the colors.....

But yeah, best would be totally new sigils, and totally new colors, and Kingdoms similar theme, then I am in..... just give more MMV/MVR sets and ill love it. Oh and please give bad guys, proper castle or atleast big ruins!

Yes that aswell.... The problem I have with generic LEGO castle is that either new line uses same sigil (lion vs dragon) but its changed enough so that together it looks ridiculously bad with old sets (Kingdoms now for example) or its same color aswell and thats it, you cannot have 2 factions with same color....

So now we have red vs green in Kingdoms, if they do red vs green with same lion vs dragon heraldry and its too different from old torsos it will look crap to me, cannot mix them..... so i hope they do atleast something like purple vs white, or whatever..... just not blue, gold, green, red again.... tired of the colors.....

That's what I was saying before about all the lion sigils or what have you not really seeming like the same faction. They are in such radically different styles and colors that one lion faction looks very little (if at all) like a lion faction Lego will pump out a few years later. It's not even that they use a lion head vs a full lion body for example, and in different colors, it's that some look really cartoony while others seem more realistic. If they were in the same style you could at least say that they are different divisions of the same faction or something.. but as is, they look nothing alike other than having the same animal as their crest.

What they really should do is use the sand variations of blue and green if they're going to shove another red/blue vs green/red down our throats. (Or even revive the very short lived sand red color)

Edited by Umbra-Manis

A thought:

I think that we'll get a Classic Castle promo set next year.

Last year there was a Classic Space one (And Benny's Spaceship), and this year there was a Classic Pirates one for this year to go along with the revival of the Pirates theme. Since Castle is coming back with new products next year, it would only make sense to make a promo set.

That means that we will get a brand new CC, Crusader or BF fig next year. :cry_happy:

That means that we will get a brand new CC, Crusader or BF fig next year. :cry_happy:

That means we "could". CC being Classic Castle?