Well, technically the books may chance things regarding their impact story-wise. I mean, they could develop the story for example (speculating here)

'Lord Of Skull Spiders turns out to be one of the ancient guardians of the city, a creature as old as time that has been their for thousands of years. A creature tamed by Ekimu to guard the city in the event of his death and to prevent anyone entering the city other than the Toa. Over time the lord of spiders slowly forgetting his duty and becoming animalistic, turning upon the inhabitance of the once great city, preventing anyone from entering or leaving.

Gaining control of a large army of Skull Spiders, creatures inhabiting the Skulls of Protectors that had fallen in battle with ancient warriors, The Lord Of Skull Spiders attempted to guard the entire island from any threats. With his Skull Spider army he sought out the Golden Masks and saught to protect them from all foes, however by then he had forgotten his duty

The books don't come out until later this year, and unfortunately will be at a lower age group.

Although funnily enough I was thinking of the scene in the Italian version of episode 8 (or was it 7?) after they defeated LOSS and Ekimu sounds cranky as if they had just killed his giant pet spider.

Somewhat off topic, but Clarke's Third Law states that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. I feel that this law applies perfectly to Bionicle. So, to commemorate this, here's a 4K wallpaper I whipped up. Enjoy!

16668106286_43ef9d837d_c.jpg

(Image links to the full-sized wallpaper - it's a large file!)

Edited by LewiMOC

Does anyone know what sets have pieces that are the same colour as Matoro's Akaku?

I think the idea is keeping the story simple for kids without giving them tons of complex terms. Sacrificing technical character names for everyone and everything other than the main Toa enables (in theory) for anyone to jump into the story at any point. I mean even Ekimu looses his name for the Summer set also, either to avoid spoiling people or because the name itself is complex for kids to learn. I suppose maybe the books will give characters, places and other aspects names... but the main storyline will likely be incredibly simplified concerning names with no other characters named other than the main cast of the Toa, Ekimu and Makuta.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot things like Gadunka, Kardas, Fenrakk, Niwak and so on. But why we wouldn't have ash bears, okoto cows, lava birds or whatever. Mostly name's that tell the kids what they are by their name alone.

The skull army is the best example of this.

Warrior hunts people down with his bow along with scorpio. Basher advances there to bash them dead, slicer dismembers them and grinder grinds their skulls into some fine skull pepper to go with the rest of the poor islanders.

Does anyone know what sets have pieces that are the same colour as Matoro's Akaku?

I don't believe any modern CCBS sets do, and that particular sand blue might be discontinued at that.

If there's one thing I'd wish for, it'd be CCBS shells in every color of the current LEGO Pallete. Or at least all the pinks and purples.

Edited by CabooseBM

I don't believe any modern CCBS sets do, and that particular sand blue might be discontinued at that.

If there's one thing I'd wish for, it'd be CCBS shells in every color of the current LEGO Pallete. Or at least all the pinks and purples.

Sand Blue is definitely NOT discontinued... it was absent from sets for a little while, but brought back in the Pet Shop modular. It hasn't ever appeared in CCBS, though.

I more meant in terms of story; the whole concept of Toa Kaita was dropped after a few years because the team didn't feel like shoehorning in combiners, when combiners finally stopped being canon (2006) the fans went a little bonkers, and then latter year story combiners were lucky if they got anything above some small mention in the serials.

Here, they're not pretending that combiners have any relevance; the "power up" models aren't technically in the official story, and then the alternate Protector/Master combiners are being slowly doled out. But that doesn't mean they don't have a place in the overall line, and that's part of what I like about G2; it doesn't particularly care whether or not these combiners are story-proof, and is content for you to use them as you see fit.

Consider myself convinced. I still miss when those sort of things were more advertised though; probably nostalgia.

However, I should note that I wasn't asking them to combine every time in the story, even when it doesn't make sense (like the Mixels, or Transformers Energon), just to aknowledge that it's a power they have. And it's not like they need to; after all, they completely ignored the Skull Spiders' face-hugging mind control and color-coded powers, or the Golden Mask of Skull Spiders, but those still are canon.

Well right now we don't have any names of species expect the toa. It wouldn't hurt the story and make the story convoluted if it was about fauna. You know like birds, bears, fish and stuff. The post on http://www.bzpower.c...dlife-of-okoto/ was an excellent example oft hat. No gibberish names. Really the problem with the species was rather within their naming, not with them being actual characters.

I think I didn't explain myself well. My problem with the new sapient species weren't the complicated names, but the lack of them as well as any other relevant information: there's a whole page in Biosector01 of unnamed species whose only information we got was "This guy who only appeared in a small cameo or a guide book (usually Dark Hunters) belongs to it". It annoyed me to no end. And that's why I like that this line is keeping things simple for now: no unnamed, irrelevant species.

Also, the first time I saw a non-humanoid Kaita-like combination (the Metru, I think), I was thrilled since I though it meant Kaita weren't just humanoid or restricted to the fire-earth-stone/water-ice-air combination...only to find out those weren't Kaita, but a Rahi and a Vahki prototype. I felt so disappointed...

Well, a lot of fans think that the baby Fire villager may turn out to be a Takanuva-type character. I, personally, don't think he will, but if Takanuva does return, he needs to look like this.

#FunmetalTakanuva2016FTW.

Naw. Baby Protector ain't no Takua.

Takua's a different character. Born in the Fire Tribe. One parent was from the Fire Tribe while the other was from Water. The Water Tribe parent died, and Takua now wears their mask in remembrance.

Head canon aside, the mention of Okotan Fauna reminded me: I really hope we get another Rahi contest type thing sometime in the future like with the Rahi guide book back in the day. Everyone MoCs some beasties, some get canonized, ultimate winner gets a Gold Mask or something.

Frankly, I think he's more like Jaller: close to the Turaga Protector, has wide-eyed admiration for the Toa... All it lacks is military training. And leadership skills. And being an adult. And being a main character.

You know what, he looks nothing like Jaller at all. :sceptic:

That contest would be cool. We need more fauna. As long as it's not sapient species (for the reasons explained above).

So... 2002 was a lazy excuse, then?

...Is that a trick question?

Is the Protector of Water male or female?

...just came to mind. :S

"passed down through the generations from father to son"

Quoted from the catch all description on every character page for each Protector on bionicle.com.

In short, male.

Well it will be female to me.

This. Is. Nokamaaaaa!!!

You could always consider the Okoto society to be generally patriarchal with the exception of the Water Tribe being matriarchal. That's what I'm sticking to.

Why?

This is a reboot. We have so many opportunities for new and exciting things... And yet everyone's like "Bring back Vezon! And the Bohrok! And give the Protectors the Turaga's names! Bring back the Vahi!"

While it would be cool to see a Gen2 Takanuva, is it really necessary for anything more than to appease the nostalgia-goggled among us? Not really.

I guess that's what people expect from a reboot: reinterpretations of their favorite characters, with a few new ones. Just go see any long-running franchise that is constantly rebooted: there are a lot of characters who are just reinvented versions of the old ones.

That said, I like it that this BIONICLE has more new characters than rebooted ones. I just hope they add more nods so this doesn't become an "in name only".

And we ARE getting the Vahi back... only it's a new version, a full mask called simply the Mask of Time (and with no connection to the previous Mask of Time, please don't restart the flamewars!)

Well, technically the books may chance things regarding their impact story-wise. I mean, they could develop the story for example (speculating here)

'Lord Of Skull Spiders turns out to be one of the ancient guardians of the city, a creature as old as time that has been their for thousands of years. A creature tamed by Ekimu to guard the city in the event of his death and to prevent anyone entering the city other than the Toa. Over time the lord of spiders slowly forgetting his duty and becoming animalistic, turning upon the inhabitance of the once great city, preventing anyone from entering or leaving.

Gaining control of a large army of Skull Spiders, creatures inhabiting the Skulls of Protectors that had fallen in battle with ancient warriors, The Lord Of Skull Spiders attempted to guard the entire island from any threats. With his Skull Spider army he sought out the Golden Masks and saught to protect them from all foes, however by then he had forgotten his duty

...That is a GREAT story! Much better than the one I came up with.

Somewhat off topic, but Clarke's Third Law states that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. I feel that this law applies perfectly to Bionicle. So, to commemorate this, here's a 4K wallpaper I whipped up. Enjoy!

16668106286_43ef9d837d_c.jpg

(Image links to the full-sized wallpaper - it's a large file!)

That certainly fits the G1 verse, where "science" wasn't very scientific...

Edited by The Outsider

Somewhat off topic, but Clarke's Third Law states that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

And any sufficiently discussed rumor is indistinguishable from a flame war. Seriously guys, stop it with the Vahi stuff, it's getting way out of proportion.

Personally, I would like to see some new Rahi. Having unique monsters is one of the things that I really like about BIONICLE, and it doesn't come at the cost of forced plot complication. And non-humanoids tend to have better parts for MOCcing, anyway.

See I'd be down with seeing some more Rahi so long as they revise the concepts displayed in both LoSS and Skull Scorpio. I like both of those sets, but they have plenty of undeniable flaws that stem from Lego's instance on prioritizing functions before all else in non-humanoid builds.

I'm pretty sure we've never seen sand blue in CCBS, but apparently there's a Jango Fett constraction figure coming out this fall who will hopefully contain sand blue.

And any sufficiently discussed rumor is indistinguishable from a flame war. Seriously guys, stop it with the Vahi stuff, it's getting way out of proportion.

Personally, I would like to see some new Rahi. Having unique monsters is one of the things that I really like about BIONICLE, and it doesn't come at the cost of forced plot complication. And non-humanoids tend to have better parts for MOCcing, anyway.

I'd like to have Rahi, but if Lego's way of doing them for the future is anything like LoSS and Scorpio then I'd rather get more humanoids. I want poseable, good looking figures with the occasional fun function built in, not a blocky, static, awkward looking toy that sacrifices everything for a decent function.

Or at least all the pinks and purples.

YES!!! That way I can Make an accurate Nui Harime moc. I currently made her as if Makuta revived her.

If you don't know who Nui Harime is, Here

Now I want CCBS Kill La Kill...

I just want tr. pink bone or shell pieces so that I can make CCBS Galaxy Squad stuff.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot things like Gadunka, Kardas, Fenrakk, Niwak and so on. But why we wouldn't have ash bears, okoto cows, lava birds or whatever. Mostly name's that tell the kids what they are by their name alone.

The skull army is the best example of this.

Warrior hunts people down with his bow along with scorpio. Basher advances there to bash them dead, slicer dismembers them and grinder grinds their skulls into some fine skull pepper to go with the rest of the poor islanders.

Personally i never got why they would refer to things as bears, cows or birds. To me that always seemed to acknowledge that their were things they generally referred to as regular cows, bears and birds, which always seemed odd to me given the language. Though i do agree, that they could have probably just used basic terms such as lava bird, flame bear, magma cow or stuff like that.

Personally i can understand Basher, Slicer and Warrior as all being a generic example of a non-specific skeleton army member, but Grinder should have really had a name. Maybe he does and its being kept obscured or something, similar to how the set labels Ekimu as Mask Maker...

Somewhat off topic, but Clarke's Third Law states that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. I feel that this law applies perfectly to Bionicle.

Yep, i'd bet that is the case with Bionicle. They'll refer to it as magic when it happens, but in truth it'll be incredibly advanced technology and science :P

...That is a GREAT story! Much better than the one I came up with.

Which was yours? :3

Edited by Scarilian

Lego should take a look at their Savage Planet Villains for inspiration for new Rahi aha.

I'd like to have Rahi, but if Lego's way of doing them for the future is anything like LoSS and Scorpio then I'd rather get more humanoids. I want poseable, good looking figures with the occasional fun function built in, not a blocky, static, awkward looking toy that sacrifices everything for a decent function.

Agreed; that's why I never bought a '00 Rahi (that, and I don't think they were availabe where I lived; only the Toa).

Personally i never got why they would refer to things as bears, cows or birds. To me that always seemed to acknowledge that their were things they generally referred to as regular cows, bears and birds, which always seemed odd to me given the language. Though i do agree, that they could have probably just used basic terms such as lava bird, flame bear, magma cow or stuff like that.

This part alien/part english naming convention is sort of a given in fantasy, especially when aimed at children. It doesn't help that some didn't resemble the species they were supposed to be.

Yep, i'd bet that is the case with Bionicle. They'll refer to it as magic when it happens, but in truth it'll be incredibly advanced technology and science :P

In fact, I think Gen1 had it both ways: most "magic" turned out to be science, but the science was so far off from the real thing it still felt like magic.

Which was yours? :3

It was really a silly rehash of the "LOSS is a transformed Makuta" theory:

Makuta got turned into the LOSS after the fight with Ekimu, and was unable to use his Mask of Control. However, he managed to pass some of its power into a lifeless Skull Spider body, creating the Golden Mask of Skull Spiders, and ordered them to guard the Golden Masks from the destined Masters and seek out the three Legendary masks: His brother's Mask of Creation to make him a new body, his Mask of Control to gather an army, and the Mask of Ultimate Power for typical island domination schemes.

Like I said, silly.

But now it gave me a new idea: according to that ancient law, no mask can have more than one elemental power, right? Then what about the masks worn by the Mask Makers, and the Golden Mask of Skull Spiders, and the Mask of Time (hoping assuming it's not an element this time around), who clearly can't be based on elemental forces? Is there some other way to make Masks beside elemental forces?

Lego should take a look at their Savage Planet Villains for inspiration for new Rahi aha.

True. But hopefully with proper heads rather than helmets mounted on armor pieces.

Edited by The Outsider

For re-using some of those pieces, most definitely. We NEED Rahi dangit! Even if it is just combiner models or cartoon pictures, we need wildlife on Okoto, otherwise it is empty and life-less. Although more creature sets are always welcome, we just need the world fleshed out a little more, regardless if they actually come in a set or not and making up creatures to inhabit the island doesn't complicate things so why not do it? I really hate this over-simplification of everything LEGO is so keen on this time around. The complicated lore and backstory and "world building" in general is one of the things that I loved about g1, it wasn't just "these good guys beat these bad guys" and that's pretty much it. It can be done without paining yourself into a corner and I hope we get more lore for the new "story" in the coming months, and hopefully years.

Sand Blue is definitely NOT discontinued... it was absent from sets for a little while, but brought back in the Pet Shop modular. It hasn't ever appeared in CCBS, though.

Thank you! I honestly wasn't sure what had and hadn't been discontinued at that point.

Not sure why people are saying non-humanoid builds prioritize functions over poseabiltiy when there are literally only two sets that even go towards supporting that point adequately: LoSS and Skull Scorpio. Or stating that as if poseabiltiy and functions were mutually exclusive. Or as if functions were a bad thing? Then saying they'd rather have humanoids, and of course, when that actually happens, they'll complain there are too many humanoids.

If you want sets to be truly creative, we must stop stifling creativity by saying 'functions bad posabiltiy good' as if the two were mutually exclusive. LoSS is a heck of a lot more memorable than any Savage Planet set. Newsflash: Designers don't make sets to appease you. They make it for their audience: children. I would wager that kids generally find functions 'cool' and 'unusual' since poseability isn't a function and it's a lot quicker, a lot more entertaining than posing.

Not sure why people are saying non-humanoid builds prioritize functions over poseabiltiy when there are literally only two sets that even go towards supporting that point adequately: LoSS and Skull Scorpio. Or stating that as if poseabiltiy and functions were mutually exclusive. Or as if functions were a bad thing? Then saying they'd rather have humanoids, and of course, when that actually happens, they'll complain there are too many humanoids.

If you want sets to be truly creative, we must stop stifling creativity by saying 'functions bad posabiltiy good' as if the two were mutually exclusive. LoSS is a heck of a lot more memorable than any Savage Planet set. Newsflash: Designers don't make sets to appease you. They make it for their audience: children. I would wager that kids generally find functions 'cool' and 'unusual' since poseability isn't a function and it's a lot quicker, a lot more entertaining than posing.

I agree with you 100%. Everyone keeps forgetting that this is a children's line. You're not gonna see a 7 year-old or something, worrying about how many points of articulation a figure has, or its color scheme for that matter. Same goes for the story we're getting. 'Massive G1 world-building' isn't going to happen.

That's all nice and good and all, but how does that excuse things? A toy with limited articulation is a worse toy than one with more. I dunno about you, but when I was a kid, I was all about posing. Posing is an incredibly important part of play to many kids. The most? Not likely. But having both is certainly better than just one. Even then, I'd think articulation would be more important than a function. That's just me, though.

Bionicle being aimed at children may be a reason, but hardly is it ever an excuse. =P

I agree. I always valued poseability, even as a child. That was probably part of the reason I always hated the dolls/MLP toys my sister always used to have. they were just solid lumps. Even other boys' toys often didn't do it for me. Bionicle was decidedly my favourite, largely due to how poseable they were (and the fact that you could take them apart, of course).

As someone who loved the scarcely-poseable '01 Rahi, I don't see what everyone's upset about. Lord of Skull Spiders has plenty of articulation for a set his size and looks fantastic (and having built a fully articulated spider MOC about the same size at one point, I'm actually HAPPY Lord of Skull Spiders isn't half as much of a burden to pose). Skull Scorpio is undoubtedly a weaker design, but that's partly due to the skeletal theme of the summer villains allowing for it. I would definitely throw my vote in for more Rahi—but if they opt for poseability over unique functions I'll be severely disappointed to say the least.

As someone who loved the scarcely-poseable '01 Rahi, I don't see what everyone's upset about. Lord of Skull Spiders has plenty of articulation for a set his size and looks fantastic (and having built a fully articulated spider MOC about the same size at one point, I'm actually HAPPY Lord of Skull Spiders isn't half as much of a burden to pose). Skull Scorpio is undoubtedly a weaker design, but that's partly due to the skeletal theme of the summer villains allowing for it. I would definitely throw my vote in for more Rahi—but if they opt for poseability over unique functions I'll be severely disappointed to say the least.

IMO I think that the best thing would be a (near)perfect medium of functionality and possibility (like the Toa) for Rahi and creatures.