I've begun "prepping" by rereading the novels, I don't have anything past the last book of 2009, but no matter.

As for canisters, I only like to hold on to canisters for one of two reasons;

1) story significance. Toa mata, for example, and the original hero factory canisters had interactivity with the dropship.

2) functionality. The abilit to store masks and heads on the mata canisters (plus the moving label), the weapon storage of the inika, etc.

Other than that I don't care much for keeping them, they take up space and I don't store anything in them really. The bags are more space efficient, but again I usually send them to the garbage.

Am I the only one who enjoyed 2009 more than '08 and '07?

I really liked the tribal feel the gave to the whole, something we hadn't see in such a deep way since '03. And, as it was said, Glatorians had some of the best designs of the whole BIONICLE, in my humble opinion (Tuma was the perfect execution of a Inika build-based titan, as much as Roodaka was the top in the pre-Inika)(also, Malum and Kiina were just awesome, Kiina being one of the most original canister build since the Barraki).

I enjoyed '09. Kinda went back to the feel of 2001 by trying to boot up a new story. It was just a fresh feel overall.

On a side note, I may have gotten my PS2 to work again. Time for some good ol' Bionicle gaming!

I was a bit doubtful about that, but I just checked that and you're right. Even the Creator mini sets stopped using canisters just this year. Personally, I don't mind, though. Canisters were flashy but I much prefer the creative things being done lately, such as the Hero Factory pouches, the Friends packages with the beveled edges, and the new Speedorz packages for this year that have really elaborate shapes all formed from the same folded cardboard as your typical box. Even if plastic canisters are in fact gone for good, I think we'll continue to see all kinds of innovation in the years to come. It's not like a set's shelf presence is any less important today than it used to be.

While I agree with you about the creativity part of the new packages, I find ye good ol' canisters a very convenient way of safely storing my sets, since I have a limitate room for showing them and filling a box with them doesn't sound as much intriguing, especially since they can get scratches or worse. Canisters were also a cool, solid (in all senses :laugh: ) way to show the set, as it gave a concrete space to slap the illustration of the set itself, front-back (and some back illustration were really nice, like Bohrok's and Vahki's, with the map of Metru Nui that was... well... charming :cry_happy: ).

On a side note, I may have gotten my PS2 to work again. Time for some good ol' Bionicle gaming!

From time to time I play with my DS version, and I gtta say it was a damn fine game. Wonder if the BIONICLE 2.0 will get some love from the 3DS!

Am I the only one who enjoyed 2009 more than '08 and '07?

I really liked the tribal feel the gave to the whole, something we hadn't see in such a deep way since '03. And, as it was said, Glatorians had some of the best designs of the whole BIONICLE, in my humble opinion (Tuma was the perfect execution of a Inika build-based titan, as much as Roodaka was the top in the pre-Inika)(also, Malum and Kiina were just awesome, Kiina being one of the most original canister build since the Barraki).

For me, 2009 was the year that got me back into bionicle after some years. It was a fresh new story and it forced you to look at the series in a different perspective.

Personally, I'm gonna miss the bags. Simply brilliant on a functional level. There's never been another type of LEGO package quite so convenient for me.

I want the canisters back; namely, the older ones. In 2006, with the Inika, the packages got really ridiculous and a waste of plastic. But bags are still better than boxes, especially for the medium sized sets. If the matoran return, they "should" be in boxes- that's just my opinion.

I kind of wish I still had some of the canisters. What was the compatibility/story relevance of all of them again? I believe it went something like...

Toa Mata/Nuva - Arrived in them story-wise (former), could place masks/pins on them

Bohrok/Kal - "Slept" in them story-wise, could hang Bohrok upside down inside them

Rahkshi - Could place Kraata on them

Toa Metru - Lids could use pins (?), discs and join together to make the matoran balls seen in the story

2005 canisters - Could place Rhoutaka on them

2006 canisters- Light up features

Toa Mahri - Pin compatibility (supposed to be battle stations for them, apparently?)

also Venom are you the Venom I think you are

Yes. =D

Also, as far as canisters go, I really would not mind having them again. It might be nostalgia speaking, but I always loved the canisters.

But I wouldn't mind the baggies either. I find them cooler and overall better than boxes.

Hey sweet, you're here! I didn't even realize you joined until Eljay brought it up, lol. Welcome to EB, Ven. Enjoy your stay.

I was a bit shocked at first that they would return to boxes of all things, but until further notice I'm subscribing to the logic that it's merely a placeholder. I can't see them dropping the bags due to their efficiency.

2009 was significant for me in this context because it was the first year that I saw preliminary leaked images online prior to Lego's announcement of them... that was fun, I was in fifth grade

2009 was significant for me in this context because it was the first year that I saw preliminary leaked images online prior to Lego's announcement of them... that was fun, I was in fifth grade

Mine was 2007, I remember seeing the leaked prelims of the Phantoka and their accompanying Matoran sets. An awesome moment. I used to get hyped for leaks every year up until Bionicle's cancellation.

Also, I'm starting to wonder if Bionicle 2015 is really going to be a retelling after all. It's heavily rumoured that one of the sets is Takanuva, and another could be a Visorak. Along with the "blue Gresh" theory, does anyone else feel like we could be getting remakes of the Stars to kick off the new series?

Edited by King of Nynrah

Here's my own attempt from a while back, though obviously you can ignore the Hero Core. I imagine if Tahu were to appear in a Toa Mata–sized set today, he'd be more complex than this, though. This one was designed to use 33 pieces, same as the original, but I imagine that if Tahu came out this year or next he would be a $10 set and would include between 40 and 50 pieces. This was also designed to use parts in existing colors — a set would be able to include new recolors, not to mention new molds.

The two Tahu MOCs I've seen in this topic are rather tall. Personally, I'd prefer if new Toa kept to a smaller size of around 7 inches or 18 centimeters like the original Toa Mata or Toa Nuva, as well as most small Hero Factory figures. No reason to stretch things to the proportions from the medium-size Breakout sets, or worse yet, the proportions of Toa Inika sets.

Your version looks pretty spot on, I think. I guess the new Toa just need a new torso plate, some new armour, mask and weapons- to make them, well, not look like MOCs or Heroes.

Fully agreed on the height. It's funny, when the CCBS debuted I was shocked at how short the new sets looked and I often tried (keyword being "tried" :look:) to make them taller. But during 2012, as the CCBS developed and I grew fonder and fonder of it, I realized the compact size is more manageable and looks better. Now, when I take a look at the 2006-2009 canister sets, they're just so huge.

A height range between Stormer 2.0 (Toa Nuva size) and Breakout Rocka (Toa Metru size, IIRC) would be ideal. Not all Toa need to be the same height- and the CCBS would pull that variety off nicely.

And this is something I thought about the other day...is the return of (new) brown and (dark) tan in sets like Ogrum/Mungus and Vardy a sign of the return of Stone sets' original colour scheme? I was REALLY surprised when Ogrum was revealed, and even more so when Mungus dropped a whole lot of new brown pieces. Personally, I never liked brown and I'd rather see orange, yellow and gold (I'm ok with tan too really), but I guess many would be happy.

Mine was 2007, I remember seeing the leaked prelims of the Phantoka and their accompanying Matoran sets. An awesome moment. I used to get hyped for leaks every year up until Bionicle's cancellation.

Also, I'm starting to wonder if Bionicle 2015 is really going to be a retelling after all. It's heavily rumoured that one of the sets is Takanuva, and another could be a Visorak. Along with the "blue Gresh" theory, does anyone else feel like we could be getting remakes of the Stars to kick off the new series?

Remakes of remakes, as it were. But again, if they are better executed remakes of awesome sets, then that'd be great.

Mixels has an entire tribe of brown characters, so it's possible we'll see brown return.

WHY DO YOU GUYS STILL THINK A 6 LEGGED SPIDER IS A VISORAK? Ffs, visorak have four legs, and there were 6 varieties released; how on earth can that be a visorak?

WHY DO YOU GUYS STILL THINK A 6 LEGGED SPIDER IS A VISORAK? Ffs, visorak have four legs, and there were 6 varieties released; how on earth can that be a visorak?

6 species - 6 legs confirmed. The logic is irrefutable!

Mungus had only one brown shell :P

Oh yeah, I mixed up things- Mungus had a 4M shell, Maula's Stomper had a 2.0 torso shell.

Mixels has an entire tribe of brown characters, so it's possible we'll see brown return.

Possible, but keep in mind that Mixels has more tribes in general (nine total). So in that case it's not a choice between a brown tribe OR a yellow tribe OR a tan tribe OR an orange tribe — it can have all four. In a theme with fewer tribes, that choice is more likely to arise and the LEGO Group would have a strong incentive to go with the color that is backed up with the strongest sales history.

I wouldn't complain if brown did come back. It's a nice color. But I also wouldn't complain if stone characters continued to use brighter colors. A bright orange or dark orange Pohatu wouldn't look too bad.

Personally, I'd prefer a completely new story set in the far future on Spherus Magna than a reboot. Or even a continuation, heck, what is hard to understand for kids in "the biomechanical creatures search for their mystical creators" - there's nothing really complicated :P

Also, while I'm not all against the CCBS system, I would kill myself if LEGO used the same armor pieces from Hero Factory, and kill myself twice if they used the same feet we have seen since 2011 (I'm getting sick and tired of them). It would be really cool if they made some new armor shells that would better fit in the oldstyle Bionicle look. I also wish that the sets will be a little more complex, less repetitive when it comes to the building process, and most importantly - less gappy, especially on the back (and putting one armor shell there isn't really a solution :\). I'd love to see a mix between CCBS and a completely new system that would give the new sets more "Bionicle-like" look, rather than another "Hero Factory-like" look.

And I agree on the six-legged-spider-thing, it's definitely not a Visorak :P The "blue Gresh" figure looks more like a Gelu for me, I also have a feeling that it will be a female character, since it's blue (duh) and even looks more slim than the other characters (though it's really hard to tell by looking and this black and white picture), and is it just me, but does it also look like it has a new torso armor?

Overall I'm really hyped for this return of Bionicle, I really hope it will keep its kind of dark tone and we won't get another childish story and characters with no character development. And I'd prefer a movie instead of a TV series, unless it will have more than just one 20-minute episode per year. But meh, we will see. LEGO, better not mess this up!

I wonder if that's all the planned sets. I hope for more sets exclusive to specific retailers.

Also, while I'm not all against the CCBS system, I would kill myself if LEGO used the same armor pieces from Hero Factory, and kill myself twice if they used the same feet we have seen since 2011 (I'm getting sick and tired of them). It would be really cool if they made some new armor shells that would better fit in the oldstyle Bionicle look. I also wish that the sets will be a little more complex, less repetitive when it comes to the building process, and most importantly - less gappy, especially on the back (and putting one armor shell there isn't really a solution :\). I'd love to see a mix between CCBS and a completely new system that would give the new sets more "Bionicle-like" look, rather than another "Hero Factory-like" look.

if that's what you think, then there's a high chances you're gonna be dissappointed, because it seems that actually the most possible scenario.

Suicide is a serious topic, and saying you would kill yourself over a LEGO set decision is a little trivial.

Suicide is a serious topic, and saying you would kill yourself over a LEGO set decision is a little trivial.

Going SJW mode over a small, offhand joke is a little trivial, even if the joke wasn't funny.

But yeah, please don't kill yourself over a Lego set :P

Edited by TheGreatSpirit