But how these end up at Bricklink is a mystery to me

Actually, this has been discussed here many times (and on the BL forum as well) ..

I got loads of blue/yellow 6587s + many orange and purple (Technic) bricks not found in any sets

In short : TLG produces many (off colour) parts not found in sets. They go to LEGO Model Designers in parks/conventions/whatever and some just end up in a bin that LEGO employees can buy ... and thus trickle down to the second hand market. There may be a third way that I don't really know about, but there are several german/danish BL stores that have loads of weird parts. How they get them is not really our/my business, but I'm 100% confident it's legit

Cheers,

Ole

Very Intresting looking book, i am sure to be picking this up

i have already got the "technic builders guide" from Sariel, which was very helpful :)

Sariel if you let me I would give you a little suggestion for the next book, as I find there are not many words spent for each project on it, probably would be cool to add one of those QR CODE for each project so people can use their smartphone while reading the book, and scanning the code they can also have a look at the Youtube video.

Does it make sense? :sweet: :sweet:

Edited by TheItalianBrick

@TheItalianBrick: Good idea, although I never thought of that while going through this PEACE OF ART book, that I received yesterday!!! I just love it, it's a true artefact. I really like that there is also a short representation of the builders. Otherwise, both of those Sariel's books are nothing but a total "musthave" for every LEGO Technic fan. Well done Sariel and well done Blakbird! :thumbup:

probably would be cool to add one of those QR CODE for each project

We had this idea with the publisher, we tested it, we didn't like it. QR codes aren't exactly so small nor pretty, and then they would be actually used by like 5% of readers.

Which is why we made this - and you can find this link in the credits section, too: http://www.nostarch.com/techniclinks

Got my delivery early on monday. First impression: Awesome. Though I didn't have a thorough look at it yet. Gonna write a review myself. But I think it's mostly praise ;)

I forgot to ask in my previous post: Are there two different editions of this book, or only the one with imperial measurements of the models. Well, I got mine from book depository - it has all imperial measurements, but in some descriptions of the models there are both systems used (imperial and metric).

I guess this is the only thing, that bothers me about this book, since I am not that fond of imperial system and it would be good, if both system were used. Othewise, the quality of the material used feels much better than the in the first Sariels book, especially the covers and binding seem much stronger. As I said - I love it!

Thanks. There is one edition of the book only. The imperial units are used as primary, with metric ones used as secondary in brackets. If the metric ones are missing somewhere, it means we let something slip. This was a decision by the publisher, to make the book more suitable for the US market.

I see, well all the highlighted bold specifications are only in inches, no brackests, but there are some in the text, yes. Never mind, this is just a minor detail ;-) I think you got a good platform for new editions of this book, there are extraordinary mocs popping out almost daily :-)

Thanks. There is one edition of the book only. The imperial units are used as primary, with metric ones used as secondary in brackets. If the metric ones are missing somewhere, it means we let something slip. This was a decision by the publisher, to make the book more suitable for the US market.

I find that a strange decision. The publisher is US based, but, as we all know, there's a way bigger interest in Technic in Europe than there is in the US.

It's not a big problem, since both types are included, but the decision is still strange :tongue:

Got my copy of the book. It is very well done and well worth the money. My only critique is that the models could have been balanced out a bit better. Some models have a 6 page spread with a dozen pictures while other ones only have 2 pages with just a couple pictures. It could be just the lack of resources or material for all I know. :grin:

I just got my copy and I'm excited as a kid in a candy store! :excited::drool::excited:

First impression is absolutely excellent - amazing quality covers and beautiful photos! :wub:

Thank you very much for the effort invested in this project! :thumbup:

My only critique is that the models could have been balanced out a bit better. Some models have a 6 page spread with a dozen pictures while other ones only have 2 pages with just a couple pictures.

That's a very conscious choice. With limited pagecount (a factor that you perhaps haven't considered), it was better to pick a few models that deserved a spotlight in form of a few extra pages than to give every model in the book the same amount of space, like 2.1 pages.

Edited by Sariel

I just got my copy and ... waow ... simply amazing. You and contributors have done an outstanding job.

I have to ask one question: Was any thought put to make the digital models available on a CD (or download), even if it means incresing the price of the book as well? ... Or was that delegated to the second edition?

Fantastic job, no words can describe it. Every serious AFOL has to have their own copy!

Thanks. We didn't think about it. The models are property of Blakbird and they're his to release or not. For what it's worth, there are links in the Credits section, including links for building instructions for 33 of these models.

I'm still going through the book now and then ... and have not covered all of it ... It's like a cup of Cappuccino, gotta enjoy it slowly.

In any event, there were a couple of 'masterpieces' out there that I thought should belong in the book. These are Nico71's Citroen 2CV, a unique car in its workings and realism, and the mega ski lifts reported on EB a couple of times.

Granted, one cannot put everything in a book (GBC?) ... but what was the logic (or selection criteria) to include some models and not others?

So far, I feel the winning entries were more Model-Team as if there was a heavier emphasis on 'looks'.

There are, of course, hundreds of worthy MOCs that are not in the book. Choosing the models was a difficult process. Among the criteria were not just that the model is great, but that there be high quality pictures available, that the designer be reachable, and that the model represent something different so that the book would have a wide variety. As a commercial product, the book also needs to appeal to not just EB Technic contributors, but to people who have not given much thought to Technic before. I think this last criteria is why you perceive that there is an emphasis on looks. We die-hard fans are drawn to function over form, but most of the rest of the readers are not. It's hard to please everyone!

Personally, I'd avoid phrases like "winning entries" which tends to suggest that the book is/was a popularity contest or that designers provided their work for consideration. It was nothing like this. The models were chosen to cover a broad spectrum and appeal to as many people as possible. They are not necessarily superior to any other models, and the book is not a Hall of Fame.

There are, of course, hundreds of worthy MOCs that are not in the book. Choosing the models was a difficult process. Among the criteria were not just that the model is great, but that there be high quality pictures available, that the designer be reachable, and that the model represent something different so that the book would have a wide variety. As a commercial product, the book also needs to appeal to not just EB Technic contributors, but to people who have not given much thought to Technic before. I think this last criteria is why you perceive that there is an emphasis on looks. We die-hard fans are drawn to function over form, but most of the rest of the readers are not. It's hard to please everyone!

Personally, I'd avoid phrases like "winning entries" which tends to suggest that the book is/was a popularity contest or that designers provided their work for consideration. It was nothing like this. The models were chosen to cover a broad spectrum and appeal to as many people as possible. They are not necessarily superior to any other models, and the book is not a Hall of Fame.

Received my copy yesterday, my wife was fascinated by the various MOCs contained in this book and she she was very interested.

I buyed, some times ago, the Unofficial Lego Technic Builder's Guide, interesting for me...but not much for my wife. She likes Lego, but she's not an AFOL and not a technician.

So, I think that you reached the purpose of the book.

I understand that there are so many wonderful Moc around the world that is impossible to do a single book, anyway every Moc inside the book deserve to be there.

Great job to You, Sariel, and to all the Builders!