Well, it's that time of year again! I'm starting work on the 2023 edition of my Technic history, and as a part of that, I'll need to know all the new Technic elements released this year. This is the list of what I've thought of so far, but there's been so many new parts this year that it's quite possible I missed some, so I'd appreciate it if you could check my work, or at least point out any parts you can think of that I missed!

1. 73764 Block for 6L worm gear
  2. 2393 Steering arm part from the little dump truck
  3. 73763 6L worm gear
  4. 2387 Mini wedge panel #7
  5. 2389 Mini wedge panel #8
  6. 2395 Mini triangle #9
  7. 2403 Mini triangle #10
  8. 2457 Mini angle panel
  9. 2459 Mini curved wheel arch
  10. 2391 7L Pliftarm
  11. 2438 Corner panel L
  12. 2442 Corner panel R
  13. 2509 GT rear wheel arch
  14. 3538 GT front wheel arch
  15. 2405 Double-ended CV joint
  16. 2477 3x5  Pliftarm
  17. 79768 A-frame
  18. 2502 Big claw
  19. 3249 Chain link with bar
  20. 100942 Mars Rover wheel
  21. 80295 Big spool
  22. 3916 9x3 L Curved beam thing
  23. 79767 5x15 Truss
  24. 79766 7x15 Truss
  25. 4159 Shifter Fork
  26. 4158 Rotary Shifter
  27. 2473 2L Driving Ring
  28. 2471 24T Clutch gear
  29. 2474 Stepper wheel
  30. 80428 Counterweight
  31. 4192 2L Axle HD CV joint 
  32. 100943 Ungeared Hub
  33. 2491 Audi tire

Incidentally, this is a DANG LOT of new parts!

Part 3968 would be useful in black because its a different shape to the usual technic macaroni connector.

13 hours ago, SNIPE said:

Part 3968 would be useful in black because its a different shape to the usual technic macaroni connector.

That's a strange part! Any ideas for functional (as opposed to aesthetic) applications?

1 hour ago, aeh5040 said:

That's a strange part! Any ideas for functional (as opposed to aesthetic) applications?

nope but it looks like it could have some structural uses since it's 1.5L rather than 2L like the macaroni piece

3 hours ago, SNIPE said:

nope but it looks like it could have some structural uses since it's 1.5L rather than 2L like the macaroni piece

Huh, it's always nice to have options for half stud offsets!

9 hours ago, msk6003 said:

pearl dark gray

It seems recently Rebrickable renamed that color to Pearl Titanium. 

So is the Blue half-pin being phased out? It hasn't appeared in any 2023 set.

It would make sense to drop this color, given that for other pin types, Blue means friction.

250x250p.jpg?1658325850.8518035

In exchange, we got the half-pin back in White. So for half-pins and 3L axle-pins, we now have the pattern that Red and DBG mean friction, while White and LBG mean frictions-less.

The pattern-busting 3/4 pin in DBG also hasn't been seen since 2020.

250x250p.jpg?1658334302.7126138

Hmm, maybe!

I can't say I would mind, because white is definitely a more neutral color than blue (Though not as good as the also-common LBG ones)

21 hours ago, astyanax said:

Glazed transparent quarter-dome panels coming without print: 

I'm curious about that set, seems like some sort of marble labyrinth thing. I wonder if it's some sort of market probe by TLG to find out if these kind of things would be popular enough to release marble run sets or even GBC's...

Anyone can tell me what's the extension ring is for? This is the short driving ring 2L, it is supposed to make the build compact right? Then why add another extension ring to it?

IMG_8510

Ask designer, why they used it in that case ;)

Who knows, depends on build, maybe in some case this was best option, how to align parts in build. Maybe those extension rings are somehow used in B-model.

On 9/16/2023 at 7:54 PM, 2GodBDGlory said:

Incidentally, this is a DANG LOT of new parts!

It really feels this way!

Can you make a comparison to prior years in terms of amount of parts?

4 hours ago, dustblue said:

Anyone can tell me what's the extension ring is for? This is the short driving ring 2L, it is supposed to make the build compact right? Then why add another extension ring to it?

Well, sometimes there's other stuff going on between the gears that prevents them from being closer together. Alternately, sometimes you'd have two driving rings right next to each other and not want their gears to mesh (as in a reverse gear on a 3+R transmission), so you'd use an extension to move the one gear away.

There is a similar extension part for the newer driving ring system as well, with an improved design to cut backlash.

27 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Well, sometimes there's other stuff going on between the gears that prevents them from being closer together. Alternately, sometimes you'd have two driving rings right next to each other and not want their gears to mesh (as in a reverse gear on a 3+R transmission), so you'd use an extension to move the one gear away.

There is a similar extension part for the newer driving ring system as well, with an improved design to cut backlash.

Thanks! So not required to use extention ring with short driving ring. Then all is ok. I thought there would be some kind of additional functions require the extention ring. I have many of those rings in my collection but never know why to use them...

52 minutes ago, dustblue said:

Thanks! So not required to use extention ring with short driving ring. Then all is ok. I thought there would be some kind of additional functions require the extention ring. I have many of those rings in my collection but never know why to use them...

No, it's not required, but sometimes the shape of a build will require them

4 hours ago, Jundis said:

It really feels this way!

Can you make a comparison to prior years in terms of amount of parts?

I count 36 from last year, so 33 this year isn't quite record-breaking.

By my count:

2023: 33

2022: 36

2021: 19

2020: 10

2019: 22

7 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

What are the 36 new Technic parts for last year?

There were quite a lot of new panels and some new gears, from for example the Daytona and Airbus.

On 9/28/2023 at 3:29 PM, 2GodBDGlory said:

This was my count

By piece count this may be more, but there are quite a few dual ones there (left-right mirrored / two pieces that must work together / width variation on the same tires), and a few single-use pieces. I wonder if we take that into account (for example counting duals as single part) if we actually have more true novelties for this year?

Edited by gyenesvi