That ball joint connector is fascinating! Looks like an all-Technic connection, which should be convenient for attachment. It does look challenging to make a sprung axle with it, since there's nowhere to attach a shock, but the real question is, how wide is it? If it's only 4 studs wide, it could be an extremely convenient part to use for solid axles built around planetary hubs.

Also, is there any chance the steering links could be new 5L ones? It's hard to tell how wide it is, and I'd guess not, but it does look skinny enough that I have hope!

I think it's around 3x5 stud size with crossholes. It's great to have another suspension arm to work with!

48 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

I think it's around 3x5 stud size with crossholes. It's great to have another suspension arm to work with!

It's 3x6x1 and a looks like a modified 2L axle connector. Here's a quick mock-up from Studio.
lQi7T8P.png
8JYUBzf.png

1 minute ago, R0Sch said:

It's 3x6x1 and a looks like a modified 2L axle connector. Here's a quick mock-up from Studio.

Nice mock-up! Seems about right, unless the steering links are shorter. Too bad these suspension arms will not be suitable for high loads, since there are no other connection points.

1 minute ago, Zerobricks said:

Nice mock-up! Seems about right, unless the steering links are shorter. Too bad these suspension arms will not be suitable for high loads, since there are no other connection points.

Yes and I bet this F1 model cannot even be fully supported by these arms, hence the included display stand.

Whenever I think that "this year" we will finally got new connector with ball joint with some 4 studs long suspension arm, my dreams got crashed...:hmpf_bad:

And this lifestyle pic shows that the rims are custom with 6 spokes and not just Technic holes:
ozzdo4m.jpeg
1988Sennawheelfront-3.jpg

45 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

I really do hope the links and arms are shorter!

5L steering links would be amazing, but unless these suspension arms are under 5 studs, I don't see them being useful mechanically, unfortunately

6 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I really do hope the links and arms are shorter!

5L steering links would be amazing, but unless these suspension arms are under 5 studs, I don't see them being useful mechanically, unfortunately

Maybe the just used the new 9L half beam with 3 pinholes (from the Orient express train)

left hole for left wheel, right hole for right wheel, and the centre hole is conneceted to a 2L beam to steer it (so no toothed gear rack)

Those would make good leaf springs anyhow since they are made of a bendy plastic

Edited by SNIPE

1 hour ago, SNIPE said:

Maybe the just used the new 9L half beam with 3 pinholes (from the Orient express train)

left hole for left wheel, right hole for right wheel, and the centre hole is conneceted to a 2L beam to steer it (so no toothed gear rack)

Those would make good leaf springs anyhow since they are made of a bendy plastic

Hmm, I don't think that works with balls, though, does it?

24 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Hmm, I don't think that works with balls, though, does it?

nah they have pinholes.

Hello! I've faced with a problem an need some advice.

I kept several my sets on the terrace for a couple of months under sun and rain. They still look cool but something is wrong with the parts - they work VERY tough and tight - it's very hard to remove even a pin from beam. When I tried to drive a car with a transmission and engine - several joins were broke. I assume I need to reassemble the full set, but not sure this will help.

Maybe some metal nano elements or salt from rain is now between parts?

@Aleh. first..why would you store sets where they are subject to weather ?
Sun(UV radiation, heat) and water(with depending on where you live corrosive properties) can make a lot of plastics hard and brittle. That's why joints and parts break or why pins won't go out that easy. They stiffen, get britte almost to a point where they fell like glued together. Rain is more or less salt free(unless you have some massive chemical plants nearby) and tiny metal elements, not rly, sand is more common.
Biggest enemy is direkt Sunlight

Not that expensive parts, but this is come back after 25 years. (release 1998, last release is 1999)

250x250p.jpg?1659559083.9924974

9 hours ago, Ryokeen said:

@Aleh. first..why would you store sets where they are subject to weather ?
Sun(UV radiation, heat) and water(with depending on where you live corrosive properties) can make a lot of plastics hard and brittle. That's why joints and parts break or why pins won't go out that easy. They stiffen, get britte almost to a point where they fell like glued together. Rain is more or less salt free(unless you have some massive chemical plants nearby) and tiny metal elements, not rly, sand is more common.
Biggest enemy is direkt Sunlight

Thank you!

22 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Looks like there's one or two new colors of Racing Small rims in this Ninjago set: Dark Blue, and maybe a darker yellow then we've had before? (It's hard to tell)

Those look pretty interesting, especially the dark blue one :)

9 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

These parts from 42171 seems fun. Kind of like part 24119 but with concave curve.

Was thinking the same, at first I though it to be a new mould of 24119, otherwise the stickers could not be put on the inside of 24119. But would they make a new mould just for this? Also, the edge profile towards the bottom of the picture suggests that actually both sides are concave, so it may be an entirely new panel?

1 hour ago, gyenesvi said:

Was thinking the same, at first I though it to be a new mould of 24119, otherwise the stickers could not be put on the inside of 24119. But would they make a new mould just for this? Also, the edge profile towards the bottom of the picture suggests that actually both sides are concave, so it may be an entirely new panel?

Yeah, I am kindof excited about finally have a panel with a concave edge. 

2 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

Another interesting feature it has is disconnectable front stabilizer bars. That could also be nice to see implemented!

I am afraid the problem with anti roll bars and Lego is that they work by bending themselves. So unless a specific piece comes out that is designed for torsion, I don't think a regular part will ever be put under such stress in an official set.

21 hours ago, Divitis said:

I am afraid the problem with anti roll bars and Lego is that they work by bending themselves. So unless a specific piece comes out that is designed for torsion, I don't think a regular part will ever be put under such stress in an official set.

I think the bigger problem is that even using axle as flexible part the forces generated by plastic model are so low, it will not be visible. Plus Lego might not wont to stress the axles so much.

The disconnection could work, it will be interesting showcase of this solution.

4 hours ago, Mikdun said:

I think the bigger problem is that even using axle as flexible part the forces generated by plastic model are so low, it will not be visible. Plus Lego might not wont to stress the axles so much.

I agree, adding a function that you don't see the benefits of doesn't make much sense. Unless the disconnect feature is implemented in a big off roader maybe?

Torsion bar as a Lego part can be easily done through a 1x2 axle connector made of flexible rubber. It's gonna be like this part but with axle holes on the same axle.

45590.jpg

9 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Torsion bar as a Lego part can be easily done through a 1x2 axle connector made of flexible rubber. It's gonna be like this part but with axle holes on the same axle.

True, and if they don't want to make a new part for it, I imagine you could combine one of those with a pair of 1x2 half-beams and a 2L axle to make a slightly bulkier version of that idea

11 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

1 minute ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

True, and if they don't want to make a new part for it, I imagine you could combine one of those with a pair of 1x2 half-beams and a 2L axle to make a slightly bulkier version of that idea

Such a flexible part is an interesting idea, and even the solution to make it using existing pieces, though I also agree that it might end up having an invisible effect. I guess for it to have a visible effect, it should be rigid when connected, so that it actually transfers force from one wheel to the other.

I have been thinking how much stress it would actually mean on parts. Obviously when disconnected, no stress. When connected, and the suspension would be pressed by both wheels at the same time, it would mean no stress either, as there is no difference between the two sides. So it would potentially mean stress when one tries to make it articulate. For a manual model that would mean tilting it left/right and pressing down, which is not common to do for prolonged time. Even in that case, the system would try to lift the wheel opposite to the tilt, so maybe that would not be too much stressful either. As for rigid parts, I imagine the left-right connector to be built from short axles and connectors. Do you think this would have more stress than a driveshaft in an RC model? I believe the weak spot could be the connector part, which would have to be some kind of sliding part (like a linear clutch).