On 7/14/2022 at 3:17 PM, LvdH said:

New clutch gear in the Airbus:

800x425.jpeg

Not only about this clutch gear, but the new non-bevel gears. Do they allow a small chain to run around them smoothly? The red 16T clutch gear with hole does not like a chain around it, and clicks a lot and awefull noise can be heard. If this 20T clutch gear does allow better running, I would need to order 8 to swap 16T ones out in my warehouse conveyors, they make a lot of noice.

11 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Remember this problem, guys?

(not my photo btw)

It's back in the Airbus.

And here I was thinking that they had this problem fixed, as the last few sets with those parts I've bought did indeed have the axleholes well aligned.

Does anyone know of aftermarket sources for the PF IR receiver V2? There seems to be alot of Chinese ones on ebay. I'm all in if I know these have the upgraded motor driver. But there seems to be no way to confirm other than trial and error. 

Edited by shroomzofdoom

Woohoo:

20220730-190551.jpg

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/178TXg35fQ0P1YrnzoexvSfLw8UqunwEd

As I was saying a few replies back, it would be nice if we could mesh together two axles that are 2x2 diagonally offset, luckily the new 12 tooth gear does just that with an 8 tooth gear (though the teeth only just mesh).

Also some other ideas are in the link above including seeing if a chain works with the new 12 and 20 tooth gears (it does), @Mr Jos, as long as the axles have a spacing that is even, if it's odd, it sort of works but is slack).

Also, 2 of the harley davidon rims fit in the 42143 Ferrari daytona sp3 tires:

Screenshot-20220730-224457-Gallery.jpg

But you must use a 2L spacer and even then the rims can collapse in so it would be better to additionally use either:

4 of these curved gear rack quarters

or one of these 11L rings in Dark Bluish Gray (new recolor for august 2022 in this set)

This will keep the rims from collapsing in on themselves because it fills the gap.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/17AEB3J1MCTU8TI4DJMjmKYf7TKaxqoRh?sort=13&direction=a

Edited by SNIPE

15 hours ago, SNIPE said:

As I was saying a few replies back, it would be nice if we could mesh together two axles that are 2x2 diagonally offset, luckily the new 12 tooth gear does just that with an 8 tooth gear (though the teeth only just mesh).

It doesn't. Do not confuse people.

26 minutes ago, keymaker said:

It doesn't. Do not confuse people.

Yes it does, try actually looking at my videos/images

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be a solid mesh to me either, meaning it could be the case that it slips under torque, and also that it gets jammed easily because the teeth don't seem to catch each other at the right distance.

1 hour ago, SNIPE said:

That image / build does not seem to do justice to this question, we'd need a solid framing to understand how easy it is to make it slip and feel how smoothly it rolls. Maybe it could fly in manual builds when the axles are held on both sides.

21 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be a solid mesh to me either, meaning it could be the case that it slips under torque, and also that it gets jammed easily because the teeth don't seem to catch each other at the right distance.

That image / build does not seem to do justice to this question, we'd need a solid framing to understand how easy it is to make it slip and feel how smoothly it rolls. Maybe it could fly in manual builds when the axles are held on both sides.

I may post a video, I may be able to easily take the 12T from the ferraris steering that I'm currently building. All I can say until then is, it does mesh perfectly but it does mesh, probably enough for most applications like gearboxes and function gearboxes, If you plan on using it in a big digger like the bucket wheel excavator, or the liebherr then yes you'll probably get skipping.

The proper total number of teeth (sum of both gears) to get a perfect mesh is 16 times the distance in studs. for the 1x1 diagonal, the ideal number of teeth is 22.6. 12:8 links only have 20 teeth total, which simply is not enough. It's not going to work any better with a 12z spur gear than it does with a 12z double bevel.

19 hours ago, SNIPE said:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/178TXg35fQ0P1YrnzoexvSfLw8UqunwEd

Also some other ideas are in the link above including seeing if a chain works with the new 12 and 20 tooth gears (it does), @Mr Jos, as long as the axles have a spacing that is even, if it's odd, it sort of works but is slack).

That looks really good that 12T gear! It'll allow smaller builds than the 16T gear being smallest before (8T did not work with chains). But what I actually wanted to know is the new gears that have a hole in center instead of an axle, so they can be used as idler on an axle. Anyone able to test those gears with a chain and pwoer it with any motor, to hear if it clicks or not? The 16T red clutch gear does make an awefull clicking noise when powered with a chain.

Ok, I tested again and now, while it does mesh, it keeps jamming but is very tempremental, sometimes it looks like it is working fine and does not jam, other times it jams instantly.

I Had more time to test today, yesterday I was busy building the 42143.

This is a damn shame, a damn shame because we need gears that are more different sizes.

The black double bevel gear does not mesh at all so it is still different to the new blue 12 tooth gear, also meshes with another blue 12 tooth gear if you have 2 cross blocks spaced with a 5L thin liftarm with all pinholes, where as if you do that with the 12 tooth double gears they have too much friction. (but using say, half bushes is slightly thicker so that works)

The best way to test it is to put them between 2 liftarms...

16 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

The picture seems to talk for @SNIPE

Could you explain more why "it doesn't "

I do not base on photos, I have those parts in my hands. Such connection skips and jams frequently and it is definitely not reliable.

17 hours ago, SNIPE said:

I do not need your images or video. I have those parts. Such connection skips and jams frequently and it is definitely not reliable. I would not recommend such solution in any project with any torque involved.

@keymaker I think we can summarize: the gears will make contact, they do not clear each other. But the teeth make so little contact that it is not a usable as a means of transmitting power.

1 hour ago, Gray Gear said:

@keymaker I think we can summarize: the gears will make contact, they do not clear each other. But the teeth make so little contact that it is not a usable as a means of transmitting power.

I think there is no point to focus on words. It is super easy to find point where gears touch each other but they skip practically with minimal torque. To sum up, as you said, this setting is unusable.

Does anyone know the difference is stiffness between these two shock absorbers, and if so how much? On bricklink, the first one is listed as “hard” and the second one is listed as “extra hard”. They feel identical but I don’t have the tools to test it.

2909c02.t1.png95292c01.t1.png

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=2909c02&name=Technic, Shock Absorber 9.5L (Hard Spring)&category=[Technic, Shock Absorber]
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=95292c01&name=Technic, Shock Absorber 9.5L (Extra Hard Spring)&category=[Technic, Shock Absorber]

Edited by LvdH

Just mount them in a line and compress them. The harder shock will be slightly longer than the soft one :)

Edited by m2fel

13 minutes ago, m2fel said:

There is also a comparison on eurobricks  :)

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks.

10 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

And, as a thoretical reminder, a rule of thumb I found once somewhere on a LEGO-related website states that the tolerance for gear distances is +-0.05 stud.

(therefore, in this case, with sqrt(2) = approx. 1.41, VS the optimal distance of 1.25, we have 0.16 more, which is way too much)

On 7/29/2022 at 6:54 AM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Remember this problem, guys?

640x739.jpg

(not my photo btw)

It's back in the Airbus.

For what it's worth, the six I have in bag one, all line up perfectly. So maybe it depends what factory they come from.

Edited by Johnny1360