Kumbbl

Why no supercar MOCs are designed with rims of 8448?

I have often read that the rims/wheels of 8448 are the best TLG has ever made concerning proper steering geometry - if this is right, then i ask myself the following question:

There are so many oustanding supercar MOCs (e.g. made by crowkiller, sheepo, Juergen and some others) but no one uses these rims. Why? because they are too rare? because other needed parts do not work together with them?

Can somebody please enlighten me? Thanks a lot!

Well, they have this specific aesthetics that doesn't have to appeal to everybody... not to mention they don't match the look of many real rims.

I agree they don't look particularly good, which is a shame.

They have been used in MOCs though, like Jurgen Krooshop's Black Supercar, which IMO looks pretty awesome :thumbup:

Edited by Jim
Fixed link

Well, they have this specific aesthetics that doesn't have to appeal to everybody... not to mention they don't match the look of many real rims.

What a kind way of saying ugly! :laugh: Also pins don't fit correctly in the 3 holes so you are limited to axle fitting.

I've used them before, but the major problem with them is that they were not designed to be used with any of the hubs(Black ones, newer style) They simply do not lock onto them properly without some modification which is an illegal method...

This is from like 9 years ago...

105deluxe.jpg

106deluxe.jpg

Edited by Paul Boratko

The 8448 wheels are a terrible design. They looked dated even when they came out.

The only good thing is that they're the first (and sadly only) rim so far, that has enough room inside for some good suspension designs.

The 8448 wheels are a terrible design. They looked dated even when they came out.

The only good thing is that they're the first (and sadly only) rim so far, that has enough room inside for some good suspension designs.

I would like to see Lego make a new wheel of that size that was properly designed.... Maybe just in a simple 5 spoke or something... That vegetable slicer design just doesn't appeal to me...

Was hoping the 42039 would have had some new wheels to work with, but it looks like that isn't happening...

I think we will not see a new rim anytime soon, since we got the updated 6 spoke wheel with 6 pinholes just recently. But I think it is a shame we don't get a rim which allows for a better pivot point.

For all i care they can make the same rim design, just with a bigger diameter and smaller profile tire. Overall tire diameter and width not exceeding the unimog ones, and the rim radius increased by half of the unimog tire sidewall height.

Edited by nicjasno

Kumbbl you have forgotten these:

acimg0623.jpg

img_1451c.jpg

From 2 years ago I don't use that wheels because I design my cars thinking in make instructions, and those wheels are very rare and expensive. So, they are not an option for me now.

It's funny how different people have different opinions about appearance. I hear that many people think these wheels are ugly, but I think they are the best looking wheels LEGO has ever made.

¿Best looking? Compared to other Lego rims and once fitted to a good looking model perhaps those aren't that ugly, but compared to real and RC rims... well not a beauty.

I still like 8880 rims more than anything Lego has made to date.

Edited by aol000xw

¿Best looking?

Yes.

I still like 8880 rims more than anything Lego has made to date.

I think those are the ugliest! :grin:

To each his own.

My biggest gripe with the appearance of these wheels is the same one with the factory wheels that came on my Camaro back in 1996... They are not symetrical and are not directional so whenever they are placed on the Driver's side the pattern flows one way and on the Passenger side it flows the opposite way...

1994_blue_chevrolet_camaro_z28_for_sale_in_ogden_ut_84404_96635328855403118.jpg

1996%20chevy%20camaro%20z28%200.jpg

Edited by Paul Boratko

My biggest gripe with the appearance of these wheels is the same one with the factory wheels that came on my Camaro back in 1996... They are not symetrical and are not directional so whenever they are placed on the Driver's side the pattern flows one way and on the Passenger side it flows the opposite way...

True, it would be better if they were symmetric. I've seen the same issue with various wheels, and it always bothers me when they are rotating the "wrong" direction. I guess as long as you are doing doughnuts while skid steering, then everything is OK.

The trick is pretty simple.

Drive normally when you look at the right of the car.

And use only reverse when you look at the left.

Problem solved. :grin:

I think they just don't look good usually, but the couple MOCs mentioned in this topic definitely make an exception

The trick is pretty simple.

Drive normally when you look at the right of the car.

And use only reverse when you look at the left.

Problem solved. :grin:

:sweet: :sweet: :sweet:

Kumbbl you have forgotten these:

<...>

From 2 years ago I don't use that wheels because I design my cars thinking in make instructions, and those wheels are very rare and expensive. So, they are not an option for me now.

Ooops, sorry Sheepo, i indeed overseen, that these models use the 8448 rims... well, i understand the rare+expensive-argument - on question: Am i right that these rims would allow best suspension geometry compared to the other rims of TLG?

It's funny how different people have different opinions about appearance. I hear that many people think these wheels are ugly, but I think they are the best looking wheels LEGO has ever made.

thank you - i already feared i'm the only one who doesn't think that these rims are ugly - for me they have a unique and quite good looking design especially with the low section tires of 8448...

I guess as long as you are doing doughnuts while skid steering, then everything is OK.

Thats how my wife drives when going to the shops :laugh:

My problem with these rims is that they don't look much like the real rims. The design is unusual, the color is difficult to match with something else - it's shinier than LBG but not as shiny as chrome. Personally, I'm a huge fan of wheels from the Williams racer, they look versatile enough. If only they weren't that wide and heavy! I was also thinking of using Tumbler's tires as rear wheels on some customized vintage muscle car, they seem to look just right.

Lego-Williams-F1-Team-Racer_2.jpgold-chevy-muscle-cars-ktqxs42h.jpg

Edited by Sariel