Bricktrix

MOC: GWR Dean 4-2-2 Single Class

gallery_8966_241_3924.png gallery_8966_235_3881.png

Another just finished. Using a BBB large flanged driver, chain driven from the rear wheel set to allow the spokes to rotate within the outer 4mm rubber tubing to try and give the effect of a larger main driver. "Smoke and mirrors" but I'm happy with how its turned out :)

1a.jpg

Link to Flickr set and more details:

Beautiful. Only flaw is the magnet coupler. Would be nice to use buffer and chain couplings. Has anyone used that with Lego yet?

She is a very lovely engine. You ought to make some period-coaches for her to pull as well.

As always: setting the standard in near perfection :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: . I actually had to look hard to find differences with the pictures I found of the original(s). Did you modify the BBB wheels for the tender? It seems as if the middle ones are flangeless.

Edited by Frank STENGEL

I really like all the details - the buffers, the stickers and the driving wheel - well done! :wub::classic:

Did you modify the BBB wheels for the tender? It seems as if the middle ones are flangeless.

The wheels on the tender are the medium drivers, so they come in flange-less.

I love your trains, Carl, and hope to make it to STEAM this autumn to actually see them up close. This one is an unusual design, but just as lovely as the rest of your stuff. And the custom decals are great, as always. Well done.

This is really a lovely model; I can't think of anything I'd change. It's a little disappointing that the driver doesn't seem to be functional (in the traditional sense), but I couldn't think of a good solution to that either. Nice job!

Edited by Commander Wolf

That is really nice, I would like to make one myself but did not think the extra large wheel from BBB was big enough for the task, evidently you have showed us that is not the case so thank you for that. Are there and plans to make a set of coaches for it to pull? That would be splendid if there were.

Beautiful steam engine Brixtrix! I love how you designed the driver wheels. The level of detail is amazing! I'm left scratching my head with "how'd he do that?!". I Too, hope you add a couple coaches :classic:

Wow. The large driver is particularly nifty. The boiler is well done to.

However my vague knowledge of this locomotive makes me think it was a large gauge engine. Did you consider going with a wider gauge or did you decide to use standard so it was more compatible with most Lego trains?

Wow. The large driver is particularly nifty. The boiler is well done to.

However my vague knowledge of this locomotive makes me think it was a large gauge engine. Did you consider going with a wider gauge or did you decide to use standard so it was more compatible with most Lego trains?

There actually were some broad-gauge engines with this wheel configuration, but this engine was built in standard-gauge.

There actually were some broad-gauge engines with this wheel configuration, but this engine was built in standard-gauge.

That makes sense.

Thank you all :classic:

I already have some coaches that will be sat behind it:

Although I do plan on making the correct Dean Clerestories for it as soon as I get chance.

Its correct, this shouldnt be broad-gauge, and yes they are un-modified standard BBB flangless med drivers.

L@go, I look forward to meeting you :classic:

CommanderWolf: How do you mean the driver not being functional? It rotates with the other wheels by being chain driven from the set behind them.