Today I stumbled into NK's newest design!

Nathananel write's on his Brickshelf:

Technic version of the Jeep Hurricane. Has AWD, AWS, and can be switched to zero degree turning radius with skid steer drive.

jeep_hurricane.jpg

Here is a little video:

More on his awesome model on TechnicBricks

Wow this one of the most complex models since the FSB001 Bobcat!

I was so blown away when I saw it switching to 'skid' steer mode

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Er.

It shows how the wheels move in the right direction. It doesn't really show it turning under it's own power, standing on the ground.

I had the privilege of getting a sneak peek of this model a few days ago and it really is quite amazing... This here is a prime example of why I consider Mr. Kuipers the top builder in the world...

Edited by Paul Boratko

He finally presents his model. :cry_happy:

And it is sooo awesome !!

TLG has to hire him ! :p

I've often wondered if I could get into Technic, and have been tempted by the Super Car. But if I saw a set like this, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Amazing work.

If the Technic Challenges from lego.com weren't what they are, he could clearly enter this month one and win it, without no doubt.

This is totally amazing and incredibly well done, since it allies sweet design with outstanding mechanisms and complex drive-train.

A very (x100) great MOC Mr. Kuipers! :thumbup:

I like how the Power Functions switch behind the steering wheel controls the steering, but also looks like an instrument panel.

I like everything else about this too :grin:

Amazing work! I really like the steering mecahnisem used to steer the wheels, its very clever. But yeah does it drive in zero point radious?

I love how the steering works in this. It not only points all the wheels in the right direction, but it also reverses the direction the wheels are turning on one side, enableing it to rotate on the spot like a tank. Would love to see it moving on the ground.

Very sexy indeed. Would like to have seen some videos of it actually turning on the spot though.

Hi,

Am I the only guy that gets frustrated by seeing such models?

Not that I blame the builders, it is more that movies always look great and pictures too, but posting them and providing little information on the mechanisms makes me always wonder if it is just a good looking design or whether it really works...

I always see those models where the designer added some sort of building pictures so that others can learn of what he did and evaluate its quality not just by "moving pictures" but rather by actually trying to recreate it.

Just my two cents (rants).

Thanks,

Noam

In addition to his Brickshelf folder and MOCpages entry, Nathanael Kuipers has his Flickr photostream too about his creation. On MOCpages he wrote the best, most extensive description. The reason that his video did not show it driving around in circles is that "To give the video some flair and make it easier to present, 2 motors were included, but they are NOT to let the model drive autonomous or remote controlled." Nevertheless, this is an exceptional MOC! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

5600576785_c9dafe12b3_z.jpg5600576791_40e2086103_z.jpg

In the picture from the bottomside i see one differential with 4 gears instad of just 3. How is that possible, modified or special differential part?

The 4th gear can be added in a diff; it'll stay there because the other gears won't allow it to fall out. It has no function, though.

The 4th gear can be added in a diff; it'll stay there because the other gears won't allow it to fall out. It has no function, though.

Actually it does have a function, otherwise he wouldn't have it there. :wink: It is balancing out the torque being applied to the small bevel gears on each side.

Nathanael Kuipers wrote an extensive follow-up article on TechnicBRICKS about his Lego Technic Jeep Hurricane. He discusses the technical challenges of proving the zero-turn-radius concept.

jeep_hurricane_steering2.jpg

In addition to his Brickshelf folder and MOCpages entry, Nathanael Kuipers has his Flickr photostream too about his creation. On MOCpages he wrote the best, most extensive description. The reason that his video did not show it driving around in circles is that "To give the video some flair and make it easier to present, 2 motors were included, but they are NOT to let the model drive autonomous or remote controlled." Nevertheless, this is an exceptional MOC! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

5600576785_c9dafe12b3_z.jpg5600576791_40e2086103_z.jpg

First of all a great car! Now my question, are there some building instructions to make this build this great car also?

Regards, Raoul Valentijn

Nathanael Kuipers wrote an extensive follow-up article on TechnicBRICKS about his Lego Technic Jeep Hurricane. He discusses the technical challenges of proving the zero-turn-radius concept.

Pretty clever looking contraption right there. :thumbup:

[bUMP]

I wonder if Nathanael Kuipers' JEEP HURRICANE could be made out of the 9398 4x4 Crawler's parts. They both have four-wheel drive (4WD) and four-wheel steering (4WS). NK's Jeep Hurricane model could not actually DRIVE ITSELF (due to the limitations of available Lego parts at the time), but maybe it could be retrofitted when the orange/black/white 9398 4x4 Crawler is released in August 2012 with the (likely) Power Functions "L" Motors....

jeep_hurricane_zerolow.jpg

jeep-hurricane-layout.gif9398.jpg