Just now, Meatman said:

I already told you that some wheels are silver on the inside and some are only silver on the surface.

And I already told you the most likely cause: age, exposure to sun, perhaps an attempt at cleaning chemically. In any case, you can disprove me quite easily: buy a MINT, unopened set with these wheels and check the color.

Just now, Sariel said:

Yeah, you even showed me a 11 years old piece of plastic that may have been bleached or peed on by a dog for all we know. But when I show you the same exact part in Bricklink's catalog, you won't even comment on that, because who would bother with facts, right?

22969.png

You heard it here first folks, the inside of wheel lost it's silver luster because it is 11 years old while the front stayed perfectly silver.

Just now, Meatman said:

You heard it here first folks, the inside of wheel lost it's silver luster because it is 11 years old while the front stayed perfectly silver.

Makes perfect sense. How do you store your wheels, upright, or down on one side? Now imagine someone storing a wheel lying down on its side near a window somewhere for a longer period of time.

And since you're so hellbent on disproving me, I already told you the best way to do so.

Edited by Sariel

Just now, Myers Lego Technic said:

When this leads to a physical confrontation, I will put $100 on Mr.-Conspiracy-Theory.

You're forgetting I'll bring hamsters with me ;)

Lego DOES paint parts. The Mini Cooper is a good example of this, because it contains both parts moulded in silver and painted in silver. More precisely, the parts for the front and rear bumpers are painted, while the hubcaps, the front grid, or the handles, are moulded. If you have the set, you can compare these parts, and you'll see a slight color and texture difference. If you don't, then you may wonder why bricklink lists some parts as Metallic Silver and some other as Flat Silver. :wink:

8 minutes ago, Sariel said:

Makes perfect sense. How do you store your wheels, upright, or down on one side? Now imagine someone storing a wheel lying down on its side near a window somewhere for a longer period of time.

And since you're so hellbent on disproving me, I already told you the best way to do so.

There you go. You can clearly see the insides of the 8674 wheels are LBG and the outside is silver.

9a1af9fec407a74d52b2d58fff3793b9.jpg

Edited by Meatman

Just now, Meatman said:

You can clearly see the insides of the 8674 wheels are LBG and the outside is silver.

Not really. I can only see small part of one wheel's inside from afar and with poor lighting.

Just now, Leewan said:

Lego DOES paint parts. The Mini Cooper is a good example of this, because it contains both parts moulded in silver and painted in silver. More precisely, the parts for the front and rear bumpers are painted, while the hubcaps, the front grid, or the handles, are moulded. If you have the set, you can compare these parts, and you'll see a slight color and texture difference. If you don't, then you may wonder why bricklink lists some parts as Metallic Silver and some other as Flat Silver. :wink:

Are you saying all Flat Silver pieces are painted over? That's news to me.

No, flat silver parts are moulded in a silver plastic, it's metallic silver parts that are painted.

4 minutes ago, Myers Lego Technic said:

When this leads to a physical confrontation, I will put $100 on Mr.-Conspiracy-Theory.

@Sariel and @Meatman unless you have proof from lego I don't think this worth fighting about. do you know a lego person who knows?

Just now, Leewan said:

No, flat silver parts are moulded in a silver plastic, it's metallic silver parts that are painted.

I don't know how you know this, but if it's true then I was wrong, obviously. 

Guys.

Please get back on topic. You can discuss wheel colors via PM or in topic dedicated for that.

Definitely a topic that plucks the heart strings of many on this forum :laugh:

For starters I consider myself a purist. So I will confine myself not only to the parts that LEGO officialy released over the years, but I will also refrain from using parts that are replaced by alternatives (like the toothed angleconnectors). I have won a couple of Sbricks, but so far I haven't used them even though they do have their advantages and I could see how it would improve the performance of my RC models. But somehow I just doesn't feel right for me.
But to add some perspective to my standpoint. When I worked at LEGO as Technic designer we were in the transition period to the studless system. I was against this move, since it felt we were leaving the true Technic style and were moving towards more flimsy models with less functionality. I remember that we had a big debate on the V-engine holder 32333.png. The studless-camp wanted that piece to be studless, whereas the studded-camp wanted to have the studs on top and the anti-studs at the bottom. Needless to say I fought hard to get those (anti)studs on this piece at the element review board. I was working on the Power Puller at the time and having the studs made it much easier to build the engines...

It has taken me quite some years before I really started to enjoy working with the studless system. The advent of the 5x7 and 5x11 frames made a huge difference in the rigidity that you could achieve with the studless models. For me that was the turning point and now my perspective has totally changed. I like the studless models much better than the studded models, I like the smoothness, I like the compactness of the gearing that you can cram in and I like the rigidity that you can achieve when everything is properly form-locked in all dimensions. (And I curse myself for fighting for those aggrevatingly annoying antistuds at the bottom on the engine-holder, what a pain in the @$$ these can be in the studless system :blush:)

So being a purist is something that is fluid for me. Maybe LEGO Technic will evolve once more, maybe we even are in a transition period where third party elements are becoming the norm (especially for the RC and the lighting). As 3D-printing continuous evolves to higher standards I can even imagine that TLG might want to use that to their advantage by expanding their portfolio with 3rd-party 3D-printed-parts like they do with LEGO Ideas for models.

Still, for me the bar is set by TLG. Until the moment they sanction 3D-printing I will not use it. Once they do, I would only use the parts they authorize.

Oh, and BTW: We painted, cut and glued a lot of pieces during development :tongue:

@Jeroen Ottens It is great to hear an insider about the subject, especially with the regret on the V-engine holders design. Now I know who should I blame....:grin:

9 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Oh, and BTW: We painted, cut and glued a lot of pieces during development :tongue:

Yesss!!!! Justification at last!!! :sweet:

@Jeroen Ottens Sounds like that was a tough fight, those studs I find useful sometimes. I didn't know you were a lego designer, though your builds make it seem like you still do.

The last bit makes me laugh: "oh, and btw we painted, cut and glued lot of pieces during development :tongue:.

Did you design the power puller?

Edited by Aventador2004

40 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

apples and oranges. that is development process *). you never send it to the world and to the customers with note: "cut and glue here and here" , right?

These guys do, but to quote Pulp Fiction "that is entirely different sport"

AZ_Spitfire_VII_&_VIII_(7)_fs.jpg

*) I am industrial designer by trade myself, I know a thing or two about development process. Anything is allowed there and with prototypes you can (and must) do heaps of stuff that would be taboo when it comes to the customers. 

EDIT: To me "cutting, 3D printing, glueing, painting" is that entirely different sport, that is not LEGO building, that is somewhere among Hasegawa, Revell, Tamyia model kits. It is not worse, not better, just different, that is where "cutting, glueing, painting" is the point of the activity.

Edited by J_C

51 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

for me the bar is set by TLG

That's exactly how i see it too.

I like to build my models in a way that anybody might go out, buy a number of currently sold LEGO Sets, and then build an exact copy of mine. And this includes changing my building style over the years.

Thinking about part colors i'm starting to realize that this isn't quite true...

However, i still enjoy most of the non-purist models and that they're posted here

@J_C I used to build Revell plane model 1:144 scale a lot, I might have been infected back then :look: and make me do thing these days like this:

DSC_0028

When I realized that the emptied 36T gear fits perfectly (like...two lego pieces :wink:) on the outer circle of the differential I couldn't resist to go forward with the experiment. While I consider this my biggest sin, I forgive myself as both parts are still in production, (so I replaced them from bricklink) and never used the modified part in published build. 

I know it doesn't save me from burning in Lego hell, but good to know that all the official designers gonna be around me in the flames...:grin:

4 minutes ago, Attika said:

I know it doesn't save me from burning in Lego hell, but good to know that all the official designers gonna be around me in the flames...:grin:

you will be in the good company. :wink:

(it is not about rules what other people should do or should not do (this is not religion, it is just lego :devil: ). lego should be entertaining and fun for those who are involved. And that means completely different things for all of us.). 

Just now, J_C said:

(it is not about rules what other people should do or should not do (this is not religion, it is just lego :devil: ). lego should be entertaining and fun for those who are involved. And that means completely different things for all of us.). 

Where should I sign this? :sweet: I agree. 

I still hold my opinion though, with a coding we could ease the tension and avoid being missunderstood.

Not to stir the conversation of painted parts again, but the white edges of the 41999 rims were painted. This is also why they were inside the rubber tyres in the box to protect the painted edge. I remember this being said by Lego themselves back then. 

Lego started 2 colour molds with the Simpsons house if I remember correctly for Bart Simpson and some other minifigs (think they mentioned it in the design video), which was a couple of years after the 41999.

My answer to Erik's question? Yes. Their is definitely much more anti purism going around now then before. I personally am a purist but I have no problem with others doing otherwise. I don't view cutting bricks or making your own as cheating, your just making a part Lego hasn't yet. Say you need a 2&1/2 long axle. Take a 3 long axle, chop 1/6 off and your done! But what I do have a problem with is why you do it. Did you try every possible combination and came out fruitless? Then go ahead. Chop chop or Glue away! But what if with enough time and effort you could solve the problem without cutting & or glueing bricks, but instead you said "whatever"? If you've done the latter than shame on you!!! Even if you came out fruitless, in reality you didn't! Those five something building techniques that didn't work for one model just might work perfect for a future model! So next time, before you grab your X-acto knife, consider the other possibilities and take time to learn from them and in turn you will become a better builder. :classic:

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

If you really need to modify parts, only use parts that are still in production, because old parts will never be made again.

Also before you modify any parts,

1 hour ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Did you try every possible combination?

And a quote from someone, somewhere I can't remember: "think then act, don't act then think" :wink:

Just one thing about the supposedly painted parts, think of how much paint Lego would use if they painted parts...

Edited by mocbuild101

6 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

If you really need to modify parts, only use parts that are still in production, because old parts will never be made again.

Very good point! I don't even like using out of production parts, so I can't imagine adapting them!