Milan

[TC10] Vermeer TS44A Tree Spade Trailer

Hi all,

A bit late to the party...but here it goes...I searched for something that is unusual, has lots of hydraulic functions and look good built with old Technic bricks and plates, with skeletal frame (with no ModelTeam finish).

My entry for this contest is Tree Spade Trailer, by Vermeer.

misc195.jpg

A tree spade is a specialized machine that mechanizes the transplanting of large plants, including large bushes and small or medium trees. The machine consists of a number of blades that encircle the tree, digging into the ground and then lifting the entire tree, including its roots and soil, out of the ground and replanting or transplanting the whole tree in the designated area.

Here is a very short video of random real Tree Spade operating:

So, the Lego model.

The model has to be in my favorite 1:13 scale, to fit with my all other builds. That soze gives some room to accommodate all the functions and sturdy frame.

The trailer should have 10 pneumatic functions, and 12 pneumatic cylinders (all V2):

•  adjustable trailer coupler, left and right, when stand next to tree, this movement rotate a bit the whole trailer left and right, allowing precise positioning of the blades around the three,
  •  adjustable trailer coupler, extend and retract, this movement push or pull a bit the whole trailer closer or further from the tree, allowing precise positioning of the blades around the three,
  •  outrigger up/down, single outrigger feet secure the trailer at the back, between the tires/ Front part of the trailer is securely hooked to the driving vehicle,
  •  spade section tilt to vertical position
  •  spade section lower to the ground level
  •  spade section "hugging" the tree
  •  blade 1 dig/retract
  •  blade 2 dig/retract
  •  blade 3 dig/retract
  •  blade 4 dig/retract

TS44a.jpg

Progress so far, very WIP, will change a chassis a lot, spade is also WIP, I will make a full tree also, with round bricks and lots of leaves...:

29914721216_41f28bf935_c.jpg

29948697305_602488b506_c.jpg

You've made a great start.

I think this competition just might turn out to be the best yet.

This is a very original idea to be covered with LEGO pieces...very cool! So far so good, but also a long road ahead... :classic:

What will the already installed pneumatic cylinders do? I've no clue... :sceptic: One I found on the actual trailer too, but no clue either... :laugh:

15 hours ago, grum64 said:

You've made a great start.

I think this competition just might turn out to be the best yet.

Thanks, Grum!

14 hours ago, jono.rocky said:

I love the guards and it will be interesting to see finished..

Yeah, time is limiting factor! Tnx!

14 hours ago, ImanolBB said:

Looks promising so far, i am pretty interested in how will you make the spades, the current WIP looks good.

Spades are in wip, they have awkward angles, but i am using wedge plates. Hopefully they will be able to cut through soil (1x1 round plates and 1x1 round bricks) and load a tree from a glass full of same soil!

1 hour ago, 2LegoOrNot2Lego... said:

This is a very original idea to be covered with LEGO pieces...very cool! So far so good, but also a long road ahead... :classic:

What will the already installed pneumatic cylinders do? I've no clue... :sceptic: One I found on the actual trailer too, but no clue either... :laugh:

Thanks, man!

For the curently installed cylinders, this:

SIDE CYLINDER - adjustable trailer coupler, left and right, when stand next to tree, this movement rotate a bit the whole trailer left and right, allowing precise positioning of the blades around the three,

FRONT CYLINDER - adjustable trailer coupler, extend and retract, this movement push or pull a bit the whole trailer closer or further from the tree, allowing precise positioning of the blades around the three,

I did not explain well, i know, basically these cylinders allow for precise positioning of the trailer, when hooked to a car....take a look at this video at 0:40 and at 1:11 It is different manufacturer, but they function the same:

VIDEO of positioning of the trailer.

Edited by Milan

47 minutes ago, Milan said:

...I did not explain well, i know, basically these cylinders allow for precise positioning of the trailer...

Okay, now I see, so these functions are basically for bad drivers... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just kidding! :classic: Thanks for explaining, that makes perfect sense...!

Experimenting with tubular frame, it gives smooth look, but I am not completely happy with it. Will revert back to - Technic bricks and plates - main frame, but will keep tubular angled triangle frame at the top.

14556491_1815970531980329_79781018620372

My entry must be the least built of all. I got so little time for this contest, sadly, that I will hardly finish it on time. But will finish the trailer and use it in my 1:13 fleet.

Update tomorrow.

It looks like this trailer will be finished after all. Got back to sandwiched plates frame to get that old Technic look. Very sturdy. Also got Vermeer colors (green, white and black) placed on main rail.

Blades work nice, took me five days to sync them with all the angles involved. Now routing the hoses for 12 cylinders to the triangular front box, from there to the external controller. And I am finishing working on the tree which will be saved by transplanting it to the better location.

Still to do with two available days: hoses, tree and finishing detailing and touches like correcting colors and Vermeer sticker. And I have one day in the weekend to make a video and edit it.

20161025_221444.jpg

image.jpg

Very original. Simple but instantly recognisable (at least I you ever saw one before ;-)).

I'm looking forward to final model.

Hi Milan,

good job on the trailer. A video which shows the functions would be great.

The trailer would fit my Unimog forestry collection quite well :)

Wow guys, thanks for all the nice words!

Yes, it can pull a tree with ease, it has two big cylinders just for lifting that light tree, but unfortunately i brought a wrong camera lenses, so I was unable to fully film it while operating the switches. Namely, i had to hold my camera far away with one hand just to capture a part of the model, while i was very close to the machine with the other hand operates the controls...obviously i couldn't capture whole model, but main functions are shown the best i managed.

Video:

I really like this entry, but to be honest, in my opinion it is dangerously balancing on the edge between Technic and Model team.
However, that changes nothing on the fact, that you did great job, Milan!

Edited by HorcikDesigns

I love it Milan and the tree spade is prefect:wub: and will forgive you that you bring the wrong lenses with you to film the switches:laugh:

Hi Milan,

really great work... The video shows all the functions very well!!!

It would be great if you could share some instructions or a lxf.

I've seen a few of these on various TV programmes and you've got it absolutely spot on.

I think this is going to do really well on the competition. It's one of my top 3 :thumbup:

Hi Milan,

congrats for your ranking. A really great MOC. And as you already know, I build a version based on your idea!!!