01-up.jpg

Union Pacific

Hi Everyone,

after several months I can show you my biggest project: two complete freights for my Big Boy and Big Jack! :classic:

The first picture is a tribute to Kennefick Park in Omaha (Nebraska):

03-up.jpg

04-up.jpg

For me these two locomotives are a symbol of strength and beauty as other American icons such as Saturn V or super heroes like Superman and Ironman

08-up.jpg

07-up.jpg

02-up.jpg

The idea of planning two entire trains for these locomotives came from the charm of the classic "yellow & red" Union Pacific livery

05-up.jpg

06-up.jpg

09-up.jpg

10-up.jpg

THE FREIGHT TRAIN

It all started from Joe Jordan (UPP 814) to support the tender of Big Boy...

59-up.jpg

61-up.jpg

62-up.jpg

63-up.jpg

64-up.jpg

...then I looked on the net some pictures of freight cars to complete the first set;

the first two cars are only toy models, while the last one is taken from a real one...

11-up.jpg

12-up.jpg

69-up.jpg

70-up.jpg

71-up.jpg

13-up.jpg

14-up.jpg

72-up.jpg

73-up.jpg

74-up.jpg

16-up.jpg

77-up.jpg

78-up.jpg

17-up.jpg

THE PASSENGER TRAIN

Originally consisting of a mail car, two passenger cars, a dining car, a sleeper coach and a business wagon for the end.

Because of the extreme weight of the train I had to add (when the project was already finished :sceptic:) another car with two engines in addition to those of the Big Jack.

So we have:

Power wagon: UPP 209 Howard Fogg

Mail car: UPP 5819

Passenger car: UPP 5483 Texas Eagle

Panorama: UPP 8004 Colorado Eagle

Dining car: UPP 4808 City of Los Angeles

Sleeping car: UPP 200 Omaha

End wagon: UPP 103 Cheyenne

All the wagons are 7 studs wide, have some SNOT techniques and the doors have a more realistic half plate offset.

Another big problem was to find the pictures of the coaches from both sides because different between them.

UPP 209 Howard Fogg

18-up.jpg

19-up.jpg

21-up.jpg

22-up.jpg

23-up.jpg

24-up.jpg

Mail car: UPP 5819

25-up.jpg

26-up.jpg

27-up.jpg

28-up.jpg

29-up.jpg

Passenger car: UPP 5483 Texas Eagle

30-up.jpg

31-up.jpg

32-up.jpg

33-up.jpg

34-up.jpg

Panorama: UPP 8004 Colorado Eagle :wub:

35-up.jpg

36-up.jpg

37-up.jpg

38-up.jpg

39-up.jpg

40-up.jpg

41-up.jpg

Dining car: UPP 4808 City of Los Angeles

42-up.jpg

43-up.jpg

44-up.jpg

45-up.jpg

46-up.jpg

Sleeping car: UPP 200 Omaha

47-up.jpg

48-up.jpg

49-up.jpg

50-up.jpg

51-up.jpg

End wagon: UPP 103 Cheyenne

54-up.jpg

55-up.jpg

52-up.jpg

56-up.jpg

57-up.jpg

53-up.jpg

58-up.jpg

Now some extra bonus pictures! :laugh:

79-up.jpg

78-up.jpg

79-up.jpg

80-up.jpg

81-up.jpg

82-up.jpg

83-up.jpg

84-up.jpg

85-up.jpg

86-up.jpg

87-up.jpg

88-up.jpg

89-up.jpg

90-up.jpg

91-up.jpg

92-up.jpg

93-up.jpg

94-up.jpg

95-up.jpg

96-up.jpg

97-up.jpg

98-up.jpg

I'll post soon a video of the Big Jack in action. Stay tuned! :classic:

Awesome work. :thumbup: So much power and goodness. The passenger cars are great. I think the modern ISO shipping container on a flat car seems a bit out of place for the golden era of the Big Boy. A truck trailer on flat car would be what I have memories of. Also a UP caboose at the rear of a freight train would complete it nicely. :classic:

Really looking forward to the video and how they handle LEGO curves.

I spotted that you don't use magnet connecters - what is the technic used?

So I am speechless I don't even know where to start!!! Great Job! (Excuse me while I drool).

Amazing work again LT12V!!!

-RailCo

He does use magnets, they're just the old style (which are removable from the buffer beams, allowing you to not have to have the coupling attached to buffers you don't necessarily want).

$_12.JPG

Edited by Redimus

He does use magnets, they're just the old style (which are removable from the buffer beams, allowing you to not have to have the coupling attached to buffers you don't necessarily want).

Ah, ok, so they are just put on these technic-plates then?

56-up.jpg

Every model looks fantastic! I really like the gondola, the amount of studs works very well. The crates done with grey logs are also awesome!

Awesome work. :thumbup: I think the modern ISO shipping container on a flat car seems a bit out of place for the golden era of the Big Boy.

Thanks Dr_Spock ...and you're right with your observation about the container, but Lego is just a dream and I love consider the trains of all ages still in use! :laugh:

I've used super magnet only between the Big Jack, the Howard Fogg and the mail car ...for the other wagong I've used: technic plate 1x4, technic axle 2 notched and technich bush 1/2

So I am speechless I don't even know where to start!!!

Thanks Rail Co :classic:

He does use magnets, they're just the old style

Correct for the first wagons :thumbup:

The crates done with grey logs are also awesome!

I've been lucky with that stickers! :wink:

Awesome work as always 12volt. Great stickering and such beautiful presentation of these trains.

Wow. Simply stunning. I hardly know what to say. I think these are the best renditions I've ever seen!

Many, many great techniques you've used here. I think the observation windows on the Colorado Eagle are especially clever and well done. :blush:

Amazing work well done

Thanks davidmull

Awesome work as always 12volt.

Thanks michaelozzie, it would be great have a ride wide these trains in your amazing harbour :wub:

Many, many great techniques you've used here. I think the observation windows on the Colorado Eagle are especially clever and well done. :blush:

The Colorado Eagle has been really difficult to build: I knew that only the 6 size studs would have been nice to see, so I've added the tiles on both sides to reduce the gap of the 7th stud :tongue:

Freaking amazing! Those are two very fine trains. The details you've put into them are incredible and it shows.

Good Job, like ever, i hope to see all the models live in agoust, because you come for the exposition in Lecco, or not?

These are absolutely beautiful. I like how the cars aren't full scale length, perfect renditions but still give a nice Lego feel. Do the trucks use Lego wheels or are they from a model?

Wow, so much detail, the flatcar is fantastic, the passenger cars are incredible (the 70's vintage window and the blanked out window in Howard Fogg) getting all of the undercar equipment perfect, the different trucks, getting all of the windows in, and pretty much not a single rivet missing as far as I can count. If I have only one suggestion, that would be an echo of the earlier comment to add a caboose to the freight train. Simply smashing, let me just highlight my favorite shot of the bunch...

81-up.jpg

Freaking amazing!

Absolutely amazing details.

Thank you both! :thumbup:

I hope to see all the models live in agoust

...and I hope to met you this time :wink:

Do the trucks use Lego wheels or are they from a model?

Yes, all the rollin stocks are using standard lego wheels ...but the metal axle of the wheels isn't inside a standard lego rigid hose, for that I've used a 3mm diameter copper pipe

(I'll post a video about that :classic: )

Wow, so much detail, the flatcar is fantastic, the passenger cars are incredible (the 70's vintage window and the blanked out window in Howard Fogg) getting all of the undercar equipment perfect, the different trucks, getting all of the windows in, and pretty much not a single rivet missing as far as I can count.

Thank Zephyr, don't forget that I was going crazy for your amazing Northern Pacific train with two panorama cars! :wub_drool:

You're nuts, and I mean that in a very complimentary way!

You're right I'm mad for the UP colors! :laugh:

YELLOW!!!

Man, that's an impressive project! The scale of it is... Have you sold your car to buy parts for all this? ;-)

I love the custom-built bogies; it's something I've started doing myself as well. The brass tubes work well. You can put them in Technic pins as is shown in that video or hold them in clips.

And as mentioned before, I'd love to see how these massive engines make it around curves...

Excellent realisation! There's so much detail you've managed to include - I particularly like the observation car, but the highlight for me is the Locomotive. It's pure class!

Great sticker work as well.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

YELLOW!!!

Have you sold your car to buy parts for all this? ;-)

I hope not :laugh: ...but this project has been really expensive :grin:

I particularly like the Locomotive.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

You're right: the locomotive has taken weeks of planning, the wagons only days :classic: