minchellabrick

Future of LDD: Next Lego Digital Designer Update?

I sincerely hope they are about to release a fixed version of the soft as it is most useful for me and my writing (making Lego models of the stuff from my fiction really helps me visualize some stuff and capture the mood). Not to mention the virtual models as a representation and/or instructions for my MOCs (especially on Rebrickable) as I don't have any skills to create the instructions otherwise.

Its most likely a studio image, if you look closely you can see reflections of the soft box lighting fixtures in some of the highlight areas.

And if you look even closer, you can see render artifacts on Lisa's skirt. It's a render, a quite good one, too, but still a render. Lighting fixtures reflecting in surfaces is pretty much a render standard these days.

Yep I did not detailed everything but they are heaps of of other little details to figure out that it is a render - bevels, spacing, glitches, materials, etc.

It's not all LEGO sets that are rendered like this but I noticed quite a few on brickset these last couple of years.

Edited by Scrubs

of course it's a render, it's like 1000% obvious. & I wouldn't say a good one, because it's too perfect - I don't even think it was made to pass as real.

of course it's a render, it's like 1000% obvious. & I wouldn't say a good one, because it's too perfect - I don't even think it was made to pass as real.

Ehm, just being curious: can I ask what picture/render are you all talking about...any link to it, please? :look:

Why is it unlikely? It's a lot faster to design (or at least prototype) in the LDD, & time is money.

False and what's more important - irrelevant. They have plenty of time, and unlimited brick supply. And - they must build physical set anyway. Common sense suggests, that "design/idea check/prototype" is done by physical bricks; and virtual/3D model is built together with other production steps.

About LDD, I don't think they will ever open the software but not for the reason stated above. Parts from LDD can already be exported but they are of no use on a manufacturing point of view. Models are very low resolution and a rough approximation of real parts.

I don't want to scare the fans but unless TLG is slowly working on a brand new version of the software it really looks like LDD is gone...

Agree. The only way it can be usefully "opened" - is to make LDD open source. No chance for this to happen.

LDD may or may not be used directly by Lego's set or part designers, but it is still an essential piece of software for many of Lego's external partners. The Legoland model builders and animators for The Lego Movie (and presumably most of the sequels in the pipeline) both rely on specialized versions of LDD for those applications. TT Games uses LDD for model design as well, though I'm not sure whether they too have a unique build of the software or if they just use the consumer version. In all of these cases, it would make no sense to completely abandon the software unless, as some have suggested, Lego is developing a new digital building program to replace it.

It's just this simpsons image, which was linked on the previous page. http://news.toyark.c...ons-House-4.jpg

Thanx for the link...to me it is definitely render: uniformly consistent shadows, uniformly consistent lighting on all parts (that is, for example, no color variations in shadows & colors) etc. - 100% artificial, not real bicks.

Edited by bublible

LDD may or may not be used directly by Lego's set or part designers, but it is still an essential piece of software for many of Lego's external partners. The Legoland model builders and animators for The Lego Movie (and presumably most of the sequels in the pipeline) both rely on specialized versions of LDD for those applications. TT Games uses LDD for model design as well, though I'm not sure whether they too have a unique build of the software or if they just use the consumer version. In all of these cases, it would make no sense to completely abandon the software unless, as some have suggested, Lego is developing a new digital building program to replace it.

Technicly speaking they already have private building software!

They have plenty of time, and unlimited brick supply. And - they must build physical set anyway. Common sense suggests, that "design/idea check/prototype" is done by physical bricks; and virtual/3D model is built together with other production steps.

I think it depends on the designer / model what is built first. Seem to recall BrickCommander post he built the UCS Slave 1 digital model before the physical model, along with a few comments on why he choose to work that way.

False and what's more important - irrelevant. They have plenty of time, and unlimited brick supply.

Well I find it way way easier to design in the LDD. Imagine having to replace THAT brick inside a massive intricate build. Especially a Technic one.. which usually requires following the manual in reverse to unassemble.

And Lego certainly doesn't have "plenty of time". Plenty of people, I don't know, they certainly can. But having 10 designers on the same set wouldn't make it progress 10x faster, in the contrary.

Toy companies must react quick, especially with new licenses, Lego most likely didn't have plenty of time with the new SW sets.

Additionally, a CAD allows to check for collisions/part stress that may not be apparent when you build, since plastic bends.

Edited by anothergol

Alright, here is a post from brickcommander regarding what he uses as a Lego designer. originally in response to CM4Sci

I am working with the regular LDD version too, since LDD Pro (our internal LDD) is still in development. It helps to get an infusion of brand new elements every now and then though ... :)

I think it depends on the designer / model what is built first. Seem to recall BrickCommander post he built the UCS Slave 1 digital model before the physical model, along with a few comments on why he choose to work that way.

If you could find the source of that information, I'd love to read it!

Edit: missed the other post by a few minutes...

Edited by Classicsmiley

I was thinking of another post with a bit more information

(from http://www.eurobrick...c=100928&st=400, post #411)

Q: Many LEGO designers render models in physical bricks right from the start, but you use LEGO Digital Designer ("LDD") instead. Why? How important is LDD for set development in general nowadays?

Hans: Every designer has his/her own way of working, but later in the development process we all have to "go digital" anyway. I prefer to do so right from the start because it offers many advantages. Building is a lot quicker, changes can be applied (and, if neccessary, reversed) much faster. I don't have to build a fleet of slightly different physical copies, and I am always in control of my budget and which types of elements I use. Slave One looked pretty much the same as the final product after one or two weeks already. I also enjoy working with LDD, although I miss some functionality our internal LEGO developing tools have (like grouping of elements, or moving elements in a controlled fashion).

Edited by LegoFjotten

I was thinking of another post with a bit more information

(from http://www.eurobrick...c=100928&st=400, post #411)

Q: Many LEGO designers render models in physical bricks right from the start, but you use LEGO Digital Designer ("LDD") instead. Why? How important is LDD for set development in general nowadays?

Hans: Every designer has his/her own way of working, but later in the development process we all have to "go digital" anyway. I prefer to do so right from the start because it offers many advantages. Building is a lot quicker, changes can be applied (and, if neccessary, reversed) much faster. I don't have to build a fleet of slightly different physical copies, and I am always in control of my budget and which types of elements I use. Slave One looked pretty much the same as the final product after one or two weeks already. I also enjoy working with LDD, although I miss some functionality our internal LEGO developing tools have (like grouping of elements, or moving elements in a controlled fashion).

What budget is he talking of? Lego imposes one in advance?

What budget is he talking of? Lego imposes one in advance?

Yes. All sets have a budget for the cost of the bricks. Printed bricks costs extra, existing bricks in new colors costs extra, etc.

I remember an interview where Mark Stafford talked a little bit about how they tried to squeeze in as much as they could within the budget for the Exo suit, adding the barrels, platform, turtle etc.

existing bricks in new colors costs extra

Interesting..

For the small popular sets that are produced in massive amounts, does it even matter for Lego that a part hasn't been made in a specific color yet? I mean, those sets are produced on the fly, no?

For the small popular sets that are produced in massive amounts, does it even matter for Lego that a part hasn't been made in a specific color yet? I mean, those sets are produced on the fly, no?

As far as I know nothing is produced "on the fly", bricks are produced and go into one of the storage cathedrals and are pulled out when needed. Not sure how the capacity is now (with the new factories) but I think one of the LEGO documentaries said that the storage was at capacity (at that point), meaning they needed to take out one color variant of an element in order to make room for a new one. I think Mark Stafford mentioned limited color changes in the Exo suit interview.

It is interesting though, if you look at an element in Bricks & Pieces you will notice that the price often differs between the various colors. One would think that the cost would be the same, but it is not. I doubt the color itself makes that much a difference. Maybe it's related to quantity produced in that color.

Edit: Found the link to Mark Stafford's post on the Exo suit.

Edited by LegoFjotten

So are Lego designers told "this season we've produced a lot of this part, try to use it"?

& does this also mean that if a very old part isn't produced anymore, it doesn't *necessarily* mean that the mold has been retired, and it could as well reappear?

It's also scary btw, because it means that those colored technic axles that popped up this year are probably there to replace the others - time to stock old axles!

Edit: Found the link to Mark Stafford's post on the Exo suit.

Interesting.. I thought the green spacemen was purely because it was "the missing color" for classic space guys

Edited by anothergol

So are Lego designers told "this season we've produced a lot of this part, try to use it"?

No, it's the other way around, they produce a lot of what the designers want to use in the sets.

& does this also mean that if a very old part isn't produced anymore, it doesn't *necessarily* mean that the mold has been retired, and it could as well reappear?

It's also scary btw, because it means that those colored technic axles that popped up this year are probably there to replace the others - time to stock old axles!

Other parts have reappeared after a long hiatus before, so no way to say for sure. If a new similar part have popped up though... it might be reason for concern.

Well, I am really no expert to this subject BUT as I am going to buy this week complete NIGHTS NEXO line (yayks, financially ruined once again! :laugh::grin: ) I noticed that they reused those old style CS lego wheels (brick 6118) + also that CS space seat (brick 4598 - right away 4 pieces - in blue color - of them in set 70317 Fortrex) - I did not see them for many years being used (at least in any space theme...ehm, OK, NEXO is not space but I consider it being kind of space for myself :sweet: ). SO if I am somewhat mistaken, please, correct me someone.

Edited by bublible

There were 5x Blue 4598 in Benny’s Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

And, according to Bricklink, these past years in Star Wars, Ninjago and Swamp Police.

They also were in the last real space theme of 2013: Galaxy Squad.

They say memory is what goes first :grin: :devil:

Edited by SylvainLS

I own one of the rare 4598's in DBG btw.

No, it's the other way around, they produce a lot of what the designers want to use in the sets.

But quite often when a new part pops up, it's in many sets at the same time, even if it's one of those obscure parts that probably "no one asked for", like this 18649.png. Seeing it in a whooping 49 sets this year looks more like "I've been asked to place this part somewhere" than "it was the part I really needed here".

I'm not complaining, when a good part is made, it's good to have plenty available for cheap. So much more useful parts could have been made, though.

..this said, I've found myself already using it in my MOCs, so it's not a stupid part, however it's weird to see a compound version of a part that doesn't exist yet. We should be getting a 1x1 with bar first. Plus, if a 1x1 existed, that new part would be more easily (not really hard, though) substituted in the LDD.

Edited by anothergol