SBrick Survey  

409 members have voted

1. 1. What is your prefered color for SBrick?

2. 2. What will be your primary LEGO theme used with SBricks?

3. 3. Which feature of SBrick do you like most?

• Stairtop design
    • Works in sunlight
    • Big range
    • Controllable by smartphone (via Bluetooth)
    • Remote control from the Internet
    • Profile designer
    • Child mode
    • Other (please post in this topic)

You must be joking. There were lots of review videos. Here is one from Sariel:

but there are also a lot on TechnicBRICKs. Did you miss these all?

Yes i missed it all have not logged on in a while. Thanks for the link.

Having received my two SBricks on New Year's Eve, and having just over a day to test them out, I wanted to share my initial thoughts...

Packaging and Shipping: My two SBricks were shipped in a bubble wrap mailer, and by the time that they got to me the package was pretty beat up. There was even a bit rip in the bubble wrap, but luckily I don't think anything went missing. The SBricks themselves come in their own little boxes, but these boxes were squashed too, however the SBrick themselves seem to have survived. Included in the package was a sheet of stickers, however these were bent and creased so much that they really cannot be used. It could be argued that the condition of the package is due to the shipping companies handling, however Vengit could have shipped the SBricks in better packaging to protect them better.

Injection Moulded Case: The case that the SBrick comes in... well let's just say that it isn't up to the standard of other official Lego pieces. The release of the SBrick was delayed due issues with the case (see video below), however I feel that there are still a number of issues. Firstly there is a noticeable draft angle on the two halves. This means that when two SBricks are placed side-by-side, or an SBrick is placed next to Lego pieces, they do not sit flush together like Lego bricks would. Secondly, the pin holes are too tight, causing pins without friction to behave like pins with friction. I couldn't pull all of the axle-pins that I inserted out by hand and I had to resort to using a pair of pliers. The SBrick will connect on top of other Lego bricks/plates ok, however it feels as if the SBrick always wants to pop off. The SBrick just doesn't have the same 'clutch power' that official Lego pieces do. Lego bricks and plates fit ok on the top square studs (where they can), however due to the square studs you cannot attach any brick or plate that has the 'tubes' on the bottom of them (eg. 2x4 brick). Power Function connectors seem to fit ok on the top of the SBrick, but unfortunately the SBrick keep popping off the Power Function connector of the extension wire that is used to provide power to the SBrick at the bottom. Sometimes it pops off by itself, other times all it takes is the slightest touch. Obviously as soon as it does this all power to the SBrick and attached motors is lost. Seeing something like this really makes you appreciate the consistent quality that Lego put into their pieces.

Hardware: It is difficult to assess the hardware itself, but my phone (HTC One) has had no trouble discovering the SBricks, and when it did work I had no trouble powering a variety of Power Functions and older 9V devices.

Android Software: What a piece of crap! Sorry to be blunt, but that's the first reaction that I had, and even after using it for over a day, I still have the same reaction. I have read that this app is still considered to be in Alpha phase, but this has to be the most unintuitive app that I have come across. Within 2 minutes of using it I managed to get it to crash, and it has done so about a dozen times since (I haven't isolated the steps to recreate these crashes yet). On the plus side, the app is a small download (about 3.5MB), which is good because I have had to reinstall it about half a dozen times while trying to get everything to work. Even when the app does work, I often get stuck on certain screens, and even using the main navigation menu doesn't do anything - I have had to force quit the app and start again. The app seems to discover the SBrick consistently, however it sometimes seems to have trouble controlling the SBrick, even when just using the 'Port tester' functionality. In fact, something in the software seems to lock up, requiring me to restart my phone just to be able to access the SBrick again. After setting up a 'set' and linking a 'profile' and 'SBrick', I can finally get to control my devices. I have no idea how some of the 'profiles' are supposed to work, especially the ones that use the gyro sensor in my phone. All other apps seem to be able to use the gyro sensors just fine, but this app seems a bit chaotic - maybe I just need to spend a bit more time 'learning' how to use these features.. When using the sliders, I've noticed that they never return back to 'zero'. That is, LEDs remain on just a little bit, and motors emit a constant hum - I don't know if this is bad for the motors, but I'm guessing that it can't be good. Lastly, I cannot work out how to control two SBricks at the same time as nothing I do seems to work.

So my first impression of the SBrick is not good. The good news is that a lot of the issues revolve around the software, and I'm hoping that as the software gets updated all of these issues will get fixed. To be honest, I'm hoping that they just scrap the current Android app and start over. I will continue to test the SBrick, and hopefully discover some of it's strengths rather than just the weaknesses, and I reserve the right to change my opinion at a later date.

The SBrick is definitly a great tool for power functions, and as the apps get updated i think the power of it will shine trough even more!

In fact, something in the software seems to lock up, requiring me to restart my phone just to be able to access the SBrick again.

Did you try killing only the app instead of restarting the whole phone? If that is not enough, then maybe it is a problem in the phones bluetooth handling?

Did you try killing only the app instead of restarting the whole phone? If that is not enough, then maybe it is a problem in the phones bluetooth handling?

Yes, I tried killing the app and restarting it. Sometimes that works, but sometimes that isn't enough. I have also tried just turning off Bluetooth and turning it back on again, and I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the SBrick app. My phone has no problem connecting to other Bluetooth devices, such as my car stereo, speaker, other phones, etc. I also haven't had any trouble communicating with the SBrick when using the nRF Master Control Panel app (as detailed here and shown

).

I haven't taken the time to investigate exactly what triggers things to stop working so that I can try and fix it, I am just trying to let everyone know what my initial impressions are of the SBrick and the SBrick Android app.

I'll concur with everything Splat said. I can't wait for a GOOD android software to get going for it because right now it barely works.

The only apple devices in my house are an ipad 2 and a itouch 4gen, neither of which supports BLE so neither works with the SBrick, so I'm stuck with the lousy android software for now. Bummer since I bought the train pack (8 sbricks!) to rig up my train layout.

I understand why you guys are disappointed, but I am very confident that Vengit will deliver a proper Android app in the near future. I guess we need to bear with them for a couple of weeks.

Ive had about the same experience but don't mind waiting for a proper app.

The power connector popping off is a little concerning though.

It will get better. In fact, it will be near perfect. It must be after all good work done.

Easy now Guys! I think we are forgetting that the Sbrick project is in its early childhood, and i think we have to be patient with the newborn. It has to crawl before it can walk!

It is a hard job to get satisfied costumers from day one, especially when you make as tight a time frame as the Sbrick Team did, when they announced the project on Kickstarter last Summer.

Try and re-think the scenario once more. As we pledged on Kickstarter we were promised to get a Sbrick in November, they managed to get it out till Christmas. And as we all know Christmas is Holiday time for most people, and also for the Sbrick Team.

I know as a Beta Tester, that they worked very hard on the hardware inside, and from the prototypes till the final ones there has been done major improvements. My experience with the team, is that they are hardworking, dedicated, and works as fast as they can.

The casings is a whole other story. We are all hardcore LEGO fans, and we appearently won't settle for nothing less than perfect... but Sbrick isn't LEGO, allthough i think the Team would love to work directly with the people in Billund.

I have only tried out the IOS app, and i think it works very well, but i wait patiently for the Windows app, for my Lumia Phone. For now i have to settle with IOS, and lend my daughters Ipad.

So Guys, give the Sbrick some time, and give them constructive feedback from your experiences with the Sbrick and the different apps. I know that the feedback will reach the Team much faster if you us the Sbrick community https://social.sbrick.com/ instead of moaning here on this fabulous site. Consider yourself all Testers that can make this little brick even better in the future, cause it is the future ;-)

SBrick for Android is still an alpha version, so we will get the issues solved and we will get an amazing feeling. Just not now. The ALL NOW generation will have to learn patience.

Before uninstalling the app, you can 1 try to clean the app cache.

I'll concur with everything Splat said. I can't wait for a GOOD android software to get going for it because right now it barely works.

The only apple devices in my house are an ipad 2 and a itouch 4gen, neither of which supports BLE so neither works with the SBrick, so I'm stuck with the lousy android software for now. Bummer since I bought the train pack (8 sbricks!) to rig up my train layout.

I hope you're wrong... I checked the Bluetooth website for comparability before I pledged for my SBricks, and it said that an iPad2 is compatible with BLE.

Or was it the iPhone 4S? That's my other option...

I just got the update for the iOS app. First test proves the 100% issue is solved. No more power cap above 95% of the slider/joystick movement.

Of course, you have to update the sBricks firmware first.

Edited by TinkerBrick

I received my SBricks this morning.

Packaging was really poor and my Sticker sheet was mostly damaged, almost unusable... But it's not an issue, since I never use stickers on my sets!

All 4 (four) SBricks show major issues in the molded case...

Apart from the general shape imperfections, the most annoying problem is that all the lower connector areas (C and D connectors), due to molding shrinkment and/or to wrong molding, are very difficult to use... Motor connectors doesn't fit or, at least, fit only by applying strong pressure (that could damage the connectors themselves), but anyway they soon pop out of place and/or leave a gap under...

Definitely, the team will need to find a very good injection molting company to solve these issues!

The good news is that the electronic hardware, inside the case, is working flawlessly and, thanks to the new (still in beta) iOS app, MOC and/or sets control is really enjoyable.

Edited by Rikus

Think I'll keep my £40 in my pocket for now till they get the brick sorted out, and from what I have seen in various videos the packaging in very disappointing. Why on earth would they think a bubble mailer would be suitable is anybody's guess.

I have recived my 2 bricks and they arrived all well along with the stickersheet. No problem connecting a motor to any of them either. Not got to test them as i am missing a PF cable (cat probably ate it!)

I received yesterday my Sbrick, like a lot of others, my sheet of stickers is practically futile. The Sbrick box was a little mashed. Maybe a box instead the bubble wrap envelop, could be a better solution. In any case the Sbrick seems to be in perfect conditions.

The quality isn't LEGO standard, but, IMO, not bad at all. I tryed to connect it only through the pin holes and they seems to work good. The Power Function connectors seem to fit ok, well, it's necessary to push them a little bit to be sure that the connections are stable, not that it's a real test, but, raising the battery with the Sbrick and 4 L motors connected, everything remained where it was.

So I done some little test. Initially I had some problems, my Iphone 5S discovered the SBrick but, trough the test function, it wasn't able to control the SBrick. After I updated to IOS 8.1.2 it started to work. (I also updated the SBrick firmware).

I tryed just a couple of the proposed controller sets and some don't work, those which works, printed a smile on my face.

It's to say that it was a preliminary test, so, some issues could be solved by setting my phone in the right way.

In conclusion, I am quite happy and I don't regret about the little investment made.

Edited by Lucio Switch

For those interested in using SBrick with HEAVY loads or FAST motors:

I could reach 3.1 A in one port (the advertised limit is 3.0A). Then the internal drivers enter in protection mode and start clipping power.

That's pretty good actually. Enough for what its intended to do. If you want to do heavy loads, you can drive the motors through a battery box, that is operated (switched on) by the s-brick via another electric motor :)

I see the sbrick as an automation/controll unit, not as the main power router. One can easily overcome its throughput through the above mentioned method.

That's pretty good actually. Enough for what its intended to do. If you want to do heavy loads, you can drive the motors through a battery box, that is operated (switched on) by the s-brick via another electric motor :)

I see the sbrick as an automation/controll unit, not as the main power router. One can easily overcome its throughput through the above mentioned method.

Yes, I'm also more interested in the automation/controll aspect. But for those who wanted to know if it's possible to drive 9V RC motors at full power (something that the PF IR can't do) these are good news.

And your solution is quite good for a table project or an heavy tracked crane but as it would demand a second battery and an additional motor doesn't sound so appealing for not so big but still mobile models.

Edited by MajorAlvega

Yes, but small models don't need that much power, so you can power them from the sbrick directly. The big stuff needs more batteries then.

Wondering if anyone can help me out. I have the s brick attached to the 8275 bulldozer. I downloaded Fernandos 8275 profile. I got the front blade and ripper working. Also can go forward and backward. However, it will not steer. Any ideas? Thanks!

My SBrick arrived today and everything was in really good shape. Maybe those stickers will be quite rare some day...

Padded envelope but no issues with box or stickers. Maybe my mailman is nicer than yours..?.. :classic:

connected to BB via PF cable was just firm and steady, no extra mold and no risk of popping out.

Connection to Iphone5 (not 5s) with latest firmware 8.1.2

Some initial problems but no more than Bluetooth always gives you I would say. Connection came and went a bit but felt more and more stable?

Upgraded firmware of SBricks as well, no problems with upgrade and connection but motors did not work after that.

Connection with SBrick was good but motors did not move

After a while and some BT reset, for good or bad, all was fine again!

all good and exact control of motors. I am a happy buyer :thumbup:

One thing, When controlling the motors via the drag bars (in App test mode), you can actually control them in so small steps that the motor will only make some electrical sound, not move, not even without load.

Make sure you press Reset or are really really sure that you have the bar in center mode again, or your motor will burn...

And some unboxing pics!

106C638C-6079-4FEA-A41B-35288D885C47.jpg

84A73527-E559-4E3A-89FF-A0229C390B2A.jpg

211F8449-F4B7-4CC3-991C-53C6853A6535.jpg

21A994D1-AC1E-409E-A072-A8491CC1347C.jpg

I understand why you guys are disappointed, but I am very confident that Vengit will deliver a proper Android app in the near future. I guess we need to bear with them for a couple of weeks.

Today I got mine 2 pieces of these "brilliant" electronincs. I really hoped it would work, especially for the contest which I was considering to take part in. But the whole thing is disappointing, let´s tell why:

- the app has to get some massive update! (I use android 4-3)

- it is very unstable and crashes easily

- LED doesn´t flash constantly which would be a really good sign for beeing connected e.g.

- sometimes LED doesn´t react while beeing tested, the 4 outputs do

- a profile for using e.g. 1 servo for "steering" and 3 motors / outputs for "acceleration" doesn´t work, because only 1 motor reacts for acceleration

- so nothing to say about using 2 sbricks parallel

- the most disappointing aspect is the DELAY OF COMMAND! Maybe this issue cannot be solved because of the bluetooth hardware limitations...

Even if beeing disappointed in the first step, I don´t like to make my own final judgement.

Waiting for urgent updates coming!

@ JIM: will you do you entry soon ;-)?

- the most disappointing aspect is the DELAY OF COMMAND!
Could you somehow measure it or check, whether it is a hardware limitation or delay of managing software (the simplest way is to try other device on the same Lego creation)? I'm interested in this, because I'm waiting (or, maybe, hoping, but I've read, that SDK release is at least planned) for SBrick SDK (or something like this) to give commands via Sbrick from my own programs, and if delay is big enough, it might be not the best suitable solution :(