Sign in to follow this  
Gotta love the plastic

The Death Star (Look at the size of that thing!)

I'm torn. On one hand, I love cameras and using them for stuff, and it was really interesting to see how a set like the DS crumbles. But on the other hand, poor pieces.

I did really enjoy watching Han fly off screen and the black R2 unit spin, too.

As a maniac of lego engineering and durability, I find that movie an amazing piece of knowledge. This set is really a tough model and for sure far more durable than many others of this size, but notice how it is destroyed so totally that no distinguishable piece is left. Another thing worth noting are mechanics of the final breakdown, when the central spine stops first but floors don't (what a tremendous force, to rip those floors downwards from the walls!), and then the floors buckle up, destroy the walls and eject entire core in midair. Fantastic thing to watch over and over again.

Well that is a nice vid. I actually did not expect it to get all that destroyed. I saw some people doing more or less the same in the past, but then they flew a UCS super star destroyer in the death star :laugh:

I would love to see that!

Awesome vid but painful to watch! I'm never taking my Death Star apart due to the massive amount of time I spent building it. I've used a seat belt to secure it the many times I have transported it. I turn into Lord Business when my nephew wants to play with it.

That was pretty incredible how far all those pieces went flying. The 10188 Death Star set is simply an incredibly designed set by TLG that I think is well worth the very high cost it demands. I remember picking that up a few months back when I was just recovering from my "dark ages" and it was the first really "big" set that I had picked up. (My previous two purchases where the 7965 Millenium Falcon, and The Simpsons House). The UPS guy delivering it was having trouble getting a grip on the box, and I nearly took a tumble trying to get the thing in the house. (Having just recovered from shoulder surgery a few months prior. Going back for a second procedure in about four weeks. :( ).

It was just amazing opening up the box and seeing four more large boxes in there stuffed with bags. The instruction manual stunned me the most. That thing is HUGE and weighs a ton!!!!! Simply remarkable. It took me a good two to three days with many hours spent each day putting it together. (A nice side-effect of working from home is that during down times at work, I can spend some time with my Lego sets). The design of the build is incredible and it's so much fun seeing the complete build slowly take shape as you add more and more levels, and more and more details to the set. I guess it's kind of a let down for me having built that set first, as no other sets will come close to that in terms of fun builds, playability, and shear awesomeness. (Though the Sandcrawler and Ewok Village did come somewhat close. Ewok Village was just at total blast to build and extremely fun to play with. Yes, I'm an AFOL who likes to play with his Lego sets. Haha).

Watching Han spin off into oblivion was mesmerising.

I found it very interesting to what how the energy ejected the core of the set.

As others have said, no way on earth I could consciously do that to a set of my own! sadly I did manage to crash my SSD last year (knocked it off of the shelf it was on, spent 12 hours rebuilding it, no pieces broken thankfully) That Said, that slow-mo was beautiful, watch Han spin perfectly upward and the Royal Guard cartwheeling out bouncing off the spear/pike. There must be damaged parts in that mess the shear force of that fall alone would have been near 200lb force. and peak force at impact well into the thousands.(due to the low amount of area contacting the ground in that moment)

Too many folks taking this too seriously!! It was an interesting (and very cool looking) experiment. One of the coolest videos I've seen in a while.

I am unable to watch the video here at work, so hopefully I'll take a look later at home.

But I do know some people that tend to smash their sets after conventions/shows, just for fun. Their own personal MOCs, presumably without instructions and just drop them for the fun of it....

I guess the next thing they should do is put an add on eBay:

"For sale: LEGO Death Star with box and instructions, some assembly required."

If anyone wants to waste that much money just to watch those suckers crumple, thats their problem. Im fine just sitting here and laughing my head off at their stupidity.

Interesting video. The next step is to have the ISD and the UCS Falcon both crash into the Death Star, and then all the pieces fall down onto the new sandcrawler which smashes.

I think a better route would be to drop an SSD nose first onto a DSII, to recreate the Executor crashing into the Death Star 2.

:devil:

I think a better route would be to drop an SSD nose first onto a DSII, to recreate the Executor crashing into the Death Star 2.

:devil:

I remember there was a video a year or so ago in which some guys threw 10221 at 10188. Truly painful to watch. :distressed: The funny part was that they almost missed the throw. :laugh: