1 hour ago, allanp said:

I do hope we get the new Yamaha parts in the next car, plus a few more gear sizes. It has taken so long to get to three! But I'd also love to see a traditional stick shift, 6 to 8 speeds but with the nice ball joint action of 8880, not the clunky and sticky sliding axle approach that began with 8480. I could be wrong but I think some, or even most, modern supercars with a stick shift also have flappy paddles. Would be interesting to see how they could integrate both. Like, with the stick shift, you could go from any gear directly to any other gear. Then with the paddles you would be able to sequentially move up/down through the gears from wherever the manual stick shift was in. I don't know if that's how it works in real cars with both stick and paddle shifters. Maybe there's a button you have to press to select which shift option you want to use?

Yeah, I'd have to assume that those Yamaha parts will be used in the next 1:8--I've been playing around with them recently, and they definitely have a lot of potential that wasn't really used in the Yamaha.

Are there actually any cars with both stick shifts and paddle shifters? I've never heard of any. You might (rarely) get a system where you can sequentially bump up and down gears with either a lever or paddles (without a clutch pedal), but I'm not aware of any systems that had both a traditional joystick/clutch pedal manual alongside paddle shifters.

6 hours ago, Jundis said:

True, but I think the recreation of such beauties (Jaguar E-Type, Ferrari 250 GT SWB or Shelby Cobra) would be impossible to achieve in a elegant way to please the fans. We would complain, how all the elegant lines were lost within panel-work or we would get many new single-use panels in a unique color... I don't think this would be nice.

...and recreations will lower prices of original :wink:

7 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Are there actually any cars with both stick shifts and paddle shifters? I've never heard of any. You might (rarely) get a system where you can sequentially bump up and down gears with either a lever or paddles (without a clutch pedal), but I'm not aware of any systems that had both a traditional joystick/clutch pedal manual alongside paddle shifters.

Yeah the former is out there, the Huayra has that and I think the Jesko has it as well. I’ve always thought it would be cool to design a technic model like that… traditional up/down shifter in the middle and when you use it the paddle shifters move automatically with it.

I’m not aware of any cars that do the latter either…

The Huayra and Jesko don't have a clutch pedal, right? The Koenigsegg CC850 might be the only car that has both an actual manual with a real clutch pedal and an automatic gearbox. Even more interesting is that the gear ratios change based on what driving mode is selected. It's quite an engineering marvel, but unfortunately they are all sold out :grin:.
There's some more in-depth
info in this Top Gear article: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/supercars/heres-how-koenigseggs-new-manualautomatic-cc850-gearbox-works

bea3e6233250c12b_org_0.jpg?w=1920&h=1080

I discovered this car recently when someone uploaded a Technic version of it to Rebrickable, which did attempt to replicate this gearbox.
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-161672/Antoine11/koenigsegg-cc850/#details

29 minutes ago, LvdH said:

The Huayra and Jesko don't have a clutch pedal, right? The Koenigsegg CC850 might be the only car that has both an actual manual with a real clutch pedal and an automatic gearbox.

No they don’t. But you can choose to shift using either the paddles or the up/down lever in the center. 
The CC850 has the full manual shifter with a clutch pedal, but no paddle shifters. But the gearbox is amazing with the other features you mentioned. I was watching a YouTube video with Christian (CEO) when it first came out, super interesting.  

Edited by langko

Oh yeah, I remember reading about that CC850 when it came out too! I'll have to refresh my memory on the details.

Koenigsegg is great at doing crazy engineering projects, and I'd imagine that's one of their main selling points, as opposed to other boutique supercar manufacturers

Is there anywhere I can find information on how that MOC version of it works? There doesn't seem to be much information on Rebrickable, and I can't find anything about it elsewhere online.

Edited by 2GodBDGlory

Ah right, I guess I was getting confused between a fully gated H style shifter with an up/down sequential shifter. I thought I did see a H style shifter but with a clutch (automatic clutch maybe?) and with flappy paddles, but can't be sure as I can't remember where. Top gear most likely but on what car? I might be miss remembering.

But still, it would be great to get a proper H shifter, especially now that we have more realistic shift forks, and because we haven't had one since 2001 I think? And we have only ever had one that shifted nicely with a realistic ball joint action and that was 8880 (the 8480 sliding axle style ones are not nice to shift), and we've never had a properly realistic one that utilities push/pull rods and linkages between the gearstick and the shift fork. All the official Lego sets had their shifter go directly into the drive ring.

On 12/15/2023 at 8:08 AM, Jundis said:

True, but I think the recreation of such beauties (Jaguar E-Type, Ferrari 250 GT SWB or Shelby Cobra) would be impossible to achieve in a elegant way to please the fans. ...

Given the "Earth Green" leaf pieces from 10289 Bird of Paradise, and the fact that is is retiring, it would be nice to see an E-type Jag in British Racing Green to keep up Technic panels and other pieces in that colour.

A manual gearbox would be a nice change but I expect the Yamaha pieces would be employed in the next supercar as justification for their existence; 4 new complex pieces is quite an outlay.

Mark

59 minutes ago, Brickthus said:

Given the "Earth Green" leaf pieces from 10289 Bird of Paradise, and the fact that is is retiring, it would be nice to see an E-type Jag in British Racing Green to keep up Technic panels and other pieces in that colour.

A manual gearbox would be a nice change but I expect the Yamaha pieces would be employed in the next supercar as justification for their existence; 4 new complex pieces is quite an outlay.

Mark

Yes, it is and I do expect them to be used in the next car, with more of their potential being revealed. But as we have already had 4 flappy paddle cars with the 5th likely to be already finished and with flappy paddles only, it would be nice if the 6th or 7th was stick shift. It would also use the new shorter drive ring, 24t clutch gear (among other new sizes of course!) and the Yamaha's more realistic selector forks.

Edited by allanp

something i had thought about, maybe we wont see a 1:8 supercar this year. they no longer offer anything that regular 1:10 and 1:12 cars dont in terms of functions, unless you count the big gearbox that has no functional use. and as for looks, the smaller scales seem to do just as well, with a wider market because of the lower price. thats just my thinking though.

7 hours ago, Aurorasaurus said:

something i had thought about, maybe we wont see a 1:8 supercar this year. they no longer offer anything that regular 1:10 and 1:12 cars dont in terms of functions, unless you count the big gearbox that has no functional use. and as for looks, the smaller scales seem to do just as well, with a wider market because of the lower price. thats just my thinking though.

I don't think they would miss out on such milking cows; cars always will sell quite well, as we can see the ever-growing number of them. Though you are right, there will be always something they can improve on, e.g. a real convertible car is long overdue. 

I still think it's a bit of a shame that they stuck to only doing supercars, when there are a bunch of other cars that could have the same "wow factor", but it's never too late for the theme to evolve is it? A RAM SRT-10 with it's stick shift manual transmission and V10 engine in 1:8 scale could be a 5000+ piece monster!

I did think the TRX would be great till I just found out that they only do it as an automatic. What's up with that? Why the heck is there no manual stick shift option?! 

Anyway, back to the SRT-10, as I posted on @kbalage youtube video, but in reference to the TRX (thinking it came with a manual stick shift option), it would have a more detailed than ever V10 under the hood, including rotating cam shafts and drive belts on the engine. It would also have a stick shift gearbox and transfer case in accurate locations (so no gearbox in the rear!), and the suspension and steering would closely resemble the real thing, with working steering wheel and a discreet/removable HOG. The engine would be geared to spin quite fast in the lowest gear and it would use the new hubs introduced in the etron. Although not specifically mentioned in the instructions, the gearing and build quality of the transmission would make it suitable for easy motorisation by the customer using buwuzz and one or two buwuzz buggy motors. It would also be a modular build just like the real thing, with the engine and gearbox being built as separate and accurate looking assemblies that could look good on display on their own, and then placed into the chassis. It would have a bunch of other nice details such as a fully detailed interior (probably with quite a lot of system pieces) and the other things under the hood (such as the turbo, battery, air intake, etc) would also be recreated. For new pieces, it would have new wheels with deep, positive offset and realistic tyre tread, stronger (maybe extruded aluminium) axles used for the prop and final drive shafts, a few more sizes of gearbox gears (to add to the current 16t, 20t and 24t) and a new 8880 gear shifter but studless and with 8 positions instead of 4. The 8480 style sliding axle shifter isn't very nice to shift, 8880's ball joint style shifter is more realistic and much nicer to shift gears with.

5 hours ago, allanp said:

I did think the TRX would be great till I just found out that they only do it as an automatic. What's up with that? Why the heck is there no manual stick shift option?! 

Because Americans don't like manuals...

I believe the last stick-shift on any large American truck was the 6-speed/I-6 Cummins Diesel option on heavy duty Rams through 2018, but that was a very niche option that was quite the curiosity. I think 2010 might have been the last year for a stick-shift on any 1500-grade truck, again on the Ram.

You can still get a standard transmission on the Jeep Gladiator and Toyota Tacoma here in North America, but otherwise they're dead in trucks.

Anyways, that model proposition does sound very cool and interesting, and I'd love to see something like that, though I doubt Lego is willing to do that kind of thing at the moment!

Manual US buyer here. It's the only reason I have not gotten an EV yet.

I would love for a proper manual in the next 1:8 car. 

1 hour ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I believe the last stick-shift on any large American truck was the 6-speed/I-6 Cummins Diesel option on heavy duty Rams through 2018, but that was a very niche option that was quite the curiosity. I think 2010 might have been the last year for a stick-shift on any 1500-grade truck, again on the Ram.

You can still get a standard transmission on the Jeep Gladiator and Toyota Tacoma here in North America, but otherwise they're dead in trucks.

Anyways, that model proposition does sound very cool and interesting, and I'd love to see something like that, though I doubt Lego is willing to do that kind of thing at the moment!

Nooooo, not the manual stick shift option on the Cummins! I feel like freakazoid...

https://youtu.be/FZy6jmwDeuA?si=KV6Uab6VaHJNQfAX

Edited by allanp

49 minutes ago, Thirdwigg said:

Manual US buyer here.

Me too, though I'm not quite American

56 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

There's a joke that says if you want to prevent your car from being stolen, use one with manual transmission.

Yep, that's one reason I put up with driving a car that can literally be broken into by unzipping the soft top's rear window!

11 hours ago, allanp said:

A RAM SRT-10 with it's stick shift manual transmission and V10 engine in 1:8 scale could be a 5000+ piece monster!

This would probably be interesting mechanically, but to me I'd much rather buy a technic model of an exotic supercar. I see pickup trucks everyday IRL. I also look forward to having potential new parts to customize my already existing 1:8 garage with. New wheels, different coloured mudguards for example.

Also, while on the topic. I think RacingBrick in his video was a little too quick with dismissing Koenigsegg as potential candidate for a LEGO 1:8 car. They are being built just accross the border from Denmark after all. :)

Edited by zoo

7 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I'm not 100% sure that is true. I'm sure that the fact that manufacturers phased them out had a major impact as well. Read truck websites and there's no shortage of people complaining about not being able to purchase a manual trans. Every option offered by a manufacture induces costs in production, which is why most vehicles come with only one engine choice though some come with different power rating of the same engine. Going to auto transmissions only saved the manufactures a substantial amount of money in that they no longer had to store the different parts needed for manual transmissions, nor follow different build processes. Today's automatics outperform manual gearboxes, even when compared to a veteran driver, in nearly all aspects including mileage.

My first manual trans vehicle was purchased in 1967 and my last one in 1990. Although I like the feel of being in control and running through the gears, I know I can't compete with a 8 or 10 speed computer controlled package.  The only real disadvantage the auto transmission has is the inability to be push started (in most cases).

Seeing that new orange, I'm thinking, that new supercar could be sterrato 

They have had cooperation, it is something different also. Could be good choise.

45 minutes ago, Jurss said:

Seeing that new orange, I'm thinking, that new supercar could be sterrato 

They have had cooperation, it is something different also. Could be good choise.

Not sure if they would choose such a less known brand for the next supercar. So fat every licenced car has been from really well known brands and that's even more pronounced with the 1:8 supercars.

For shure. But it won't be an issue for lego, as they will sell it good anyway. 

Anyway, could be good new orange parts/panels pack.