TheBrickPal

Upcoming Classic Space Reboot?

I would love a new line of CS! I grew up with it from the start. Wish I had never gotten rid/lost my old sets.

Looking more at Benny's SSS leads me to wonder what great MOC's people will build with it.

Hi peeps, 70816 BSSS looks top notch but is there any current sets out there that you would recommend would make good parts packs for that classic space look? :classic:

Edited by Technic-Kobaltz

Personally I would love to see it return, it formed a massive part of my childhood and I adored it :wub:

During my dark ages I gave my extensive collection to my little nephew, and regretted it ever since. I've debated buying a load of the original sets, but I'm a bit OCD about my collecting and I'd need to spend a fortune to get them in the condition that I'd be happy with!

I guess if the next sci-fi line won't happen until 2015 at the soonest. There aren't any yet-to-be-revealed 2014 sets right?

Classic Spaces success was because it was peaceful exploration in very basic ships, quite a lot like the space tech of the era, I'd love to see more lego space sets based around exploration rather that fighting, and this could include aliens, just look at Life on Mars, my favourite set with humans and aliens in peaceful cooperation.

^I agree with the guy with the same name as me! Peaceful existence and space exploration is a great way to go, maybe even having laiens in the same uniform, tahts never been done before, where everyone is on the same side! That would make it an excellent reboot!

They know what "kids want". LEGO "space" have almost been replaced totally by LEGO Star Wars.

You mean besides the fact that we've gotten no less than four different space themes since 2007, one of which is a direct reboot of a classic space line? And all these fantasies about a peaceful exploration theme are just that, fantasies. In this day and age, a theme like that would never sell as well as a theme with lots of laser cannons and obvious good guys and bad guys. More importantly, as some of the designers have retroactively revealed, even the supposedly peaceful Classic Space had hints of conflict built in: red and white spacemen supposedly stood for the U.S. and communist Russia, and radar dishes and satellite arrays easily doubled as death rays. And you can bet your lego collection many kids played with the sets in just that way.

Edited by Zarkan

red and white spacemen supposedly stood for the

national colours of Denmark

Unless there is a special plan, I guess TLC is more willing to make a new subtheme rather than making classic redesigns, nominally. Just like the Lego City Space Shuttle. I guess TLC assume that kids are more interested the fighting alliens scenario rather than building realistic spaceports and spaceships.

I do like to see a more sophisticated design of modern ports and ships. It's more awesome than those recurring City trucks.

Edited by Dorayaki

If that new sub theme were 'Revenge of Blacktron' or similar you could get really nice modernised classic space, futuron etc sets and some great modern blacktron stuff. I'd have thought it unlikely but the crazy popularity of Benny might just make people think...

Edited by Samiens

Blacktron vs the rest would be pretty cool, but the last "all human" space theme was in 1996. (Only once were the aliens at peace with the coexisting humans!) The last human bad guys were in 1994. Star Wars has taught us nothing.

New space theme? There will be aliens, they will be the bad guys.

In my area some stores put the galaxy squad sets on sale. Most of the sets are 50-70% cheaper right now. It seems Galaxy Squad has not been very successfull. I've never seen such drastic sales in those stores. I wonder what the problem with those lines is? I thought GS was a brilliant space line. The astronauts, the ships and vehicles, the aliens - all great designs and the line was so much fun. Alien Conquest has been great too, so I don't understand why none of those lines were sucessfull. If I would be a lego designer I would have no idea what to try next. It seems every space theme has a hard time competing with star wars. So I would be happy to see a new space line at all, doesn't matter if it's a Classic Space reboot or something fresh.

I do think it'll happen, and I have no preferences for any particular kind of set, because I'm sure they'll all be that awesome. :laugh:

I think it would be a great idea to have Classic and Blacktron as enemies, but they're from different eras. We practically got revamped Futuron minifigs with Galaxy Squad. :sceptic: I would just love to see all four older space themes appear at once, Like Classic, Futuron, Blacktron, and Space Police! :grin:

Boy do I wish LEGO re-releases a classic space theme. I have some proposals on CUUSOO, see here:

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/61204

And here for higher res pictures, including of upcoming 924 Mk.II

https://flic.kr/ps/2RzMiR

That is a really nice classic space looking ship, at least the blue / trans yellow. Very similar to how they used to look. I to would buy it if it were a set. Edit, And I have just supported it for you.

Edited by Hrw-Amen

national colours of Denmark

Nice theory, but it doesn't seem to jibe with the evidence. A quote from Jens Nygaard Knudsen (inventor of the LEGO minifigure and one of the original LEGO Space designers) in Brickjournal issue six: "We started with only Red and White figures, we considered the red ones to be the 'bad' guys, and that they were two competing factions." Unless Classic Space represents some dystopian future in which Denmark has undergone a schism of some kind, the "astronauts and cosmonauts" theory seems a lot more valid than the idea that they're a united Danish space fleet.

I don't really expect a full Classic Space reboot personally. But it seems like more and more sets are paying tribute to Classic Space in their designs. I for one don't mind that one bit!

Nice theory, but it doesn't seem to jibe with the evidence.

I definitely read it somewhere, it may have just been in a DK book, so true or not. It may just be a retcon or coincidence. But I always figured that all Classics were on the same team. You never see them depicted in conflict or competition. Astros & cosmos all wore white so that vs theory sorta doesn't make sense anyway. If the "reds" are Russian, then the Americans would make more sense to be blue. Plus, red vs blue is an age-old rivalry. Perhaps a few ideas were thrashed around and they decided "let's go with white & red for a combination of the reasons we've come up with, and leave it up to the kids as to how they want to play".

It might be that they started with that thought, but abandoned it as the line went on. Note there were sets which combined red- and white-suited spacefolk, apparently on the same team (as crewmembers of a single vessel, for example). For that matter, why would they all have the same emblem if they were from different competing factions?

Of course, kids were free to play with them however they wanted, and I'm sure there were many many other children back in the day who did internally conceptualize them as adversaries. However, I for one always thought of them as teammates, and mine all worked together in peaceful exploration of the lunar / Martian / whatever surface.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Scorpion, on 28 February 2014 - 06:34 PM, said:

So you need conflict? Blacktron 3! Blam, problem solved!

Ya! Blacktron 3 would be perfect!

I`d love to see Blacktron reboot

I think it would be a great idea to have Classic and Blacktron as enemies, but they're from different eras.

I don't think that's a problem. I don't think Lego cares about continuities.

I think that one is pretty impressive, but yeah. Benny's has some modern style elements to it. Not quite as retro-cool.