Sign in to follow this  
Esben Kolind

[MOC] Brooklyn Brownstones

Hi all,

At Lego World 2014 in Copenhagen last week, I displayed my model of Brooklyn with 12 iconic brownstone rowhouses and 4 corner buildings. In addition I have created a number of classic New York vehicles.

All 22 pictures to be found in the Flickr set

12619572115_a87e79ce46_o.jpg

12619569275_21af9b58b7_o.jpg

12619998474_8208163b0c_o.jpg

12619996094_4d7699e61d_o.jpg

12619568745_97506dc025_o.jpg

12619995594_61a4ce3ab5_o.jpg

All comments are welcome.

Esben

Hi Esben,

So you are the master behind this? I admired your layout at LEGO World. You really have got the American spirit in it. Thumbs up :thumbup:

Great layout! I live in NY, and my grandparents own a house in downtown Brooklyn that they rent out. You really nailed the look of them! I especially love your MTA bus- it's so realistic! Do you live in one of the boroughs?

Also, do you think you can share instructions on how to make the bus? I would love to be able to make multiple to add to my transit company!

Edited by HomerJSimpson

Totally AWESOME layout 'Esben', the ambulance is one of the best I have seen in a long time and the street scapes.....the trees, lighting and frontages are so perfect. :wub:

Brick On 'Esben' ! :grin:

Not sure why but seeing the "Diner Deli" makes me think of Seinfeld for some reason :)

Me too! I had an image of a lego Jerry and Elaine sitting at a booth in there.

Looks great

all those details and stuff, the stairs in front of the house, the carbage bin, trees, trafficlights. even a street sign with '5th street' :classic:

the stairs in front of the houses.... it's not typical new york right? I thought I've seen it in movies in other cities.

or is it just something in some neighbourhoods?

So this was your work? I saw it in a couple of pictures from LW and wondered who had built that. It's a gorgeous display, and very realistic. Great stuff!

Amazing! I've been to Brooklyn, and it reminds me a lot of it. All those nice brownstones and cars, and there's a lot of atmosphere. Great job, I really love it! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

What a fantastic street! All the buildings go really well together, the subtle colour differences are great (do i see sand red?) and it looks really NewYorkish.

It all looks fantastic, but I think my favorite piece is the Bus - excellent job on that!

Great layout!

Thanks a lot for your comments.

Do you live in one of the boroughs?

Also, do you think you can share instructions on how to make the bus? I would love to be able to make multiple to add to my transit company!

Nope, I live in Copenhagen. I have visited New York several times and thought the brownstones would make for a nice model in various red colours. You can come very far with Google Street View, Apple 3D maps and google image search!

I don't have instructions for any of my models. There are in fact two different MTA busses (if you look closely on the Flickr photos) and they are pretty straight forward. A little SNOT on the school busses, but not much.

the stairs in front of the houses.... it's not typical new york right? I thought I've seen it in movies in other cities.

or is it just something in some neighbourhoods?

These row houses are seen in quite a few neigborhoods in New York and other American cities as well, most prominently Boston.

All the buildings go really well together, the subtle colour differences are great (do i see sand red?) and it looks really NewYorkish.

You do see sand red, there are two buildings in that color and they use all the sand red bricks I have... it's all 1x2 bricks and 1x6 bricks, nothing else.

Esben

Fantastic Job Esben, definitely realistic but more important, just beautiful, all goes so well together and there is really harmony. It looks like a homogenuous block even if all buildings are different.

I believe you have a great sense of details and all contributes to a magnificient and realistic scene.. Love the street lamps, the vehicles and the "movie" kind of rendering of the pictures!

Well done and thanks a lot for inspiring!

Thanks for posting this. I've seen your Brownstones at LWC, and they looked like a really lovely neighbourhood as part of the whole town display. They were one of my favourite parts of the display.

Fantastic builds. Such a wonderfull layout that anyone would want to have. Even the photo's look full of action they way they have been taken.

Wonderful work. This is one of the best mid-density urban scenes I've seen in a while!

Excellent work!! The buildings are great and the layout is perfect with all the little details (love the vehicles too!) All in all a perfect set up!!

This is a gorgeous layout! I love how each building has its own character.