I'm just like you, didn't know what to buy so I bought them all ("flagships") and I myst say, I had most fun building 8043. :)

Totally agree with Lundgren, buy them all. Then you will want even more. :classic: And if you ask me, 8043 is the best studless set so far.

Both. And 42009, too. And 42000 because of the new steering parts. And... All these sets are worth buying. And 9398. :-)

My advice is - start buying in order of release date(year). It's not too far the time that it would be too hard(read expensive) to get the older sets. The Unimog is at the end of its run anb being licensed product may have increased value over time.

If you have a hard limit to the budget and you plan to build your own things, then you also must consider parts colours.

On a sidenote - reading this thread makes me reconsider my stand on 8043 and actually build it - I bought it as a parts donor and NEVER build it so far :D

8110 has a wider selection of parts including pneumatics. That would be my recommendation if buying only one.

I have owned both in the past.

8043 looks "cool" and as a display piece / showing off to people most people love it and are amazed by it.

8110 is my number 1 set, it has a wider range of parts and is a good base for adding new features / attachments if you want (I am right in to this). It is also a good set for modifying / improving if you want. It can also be fairly easily motorized for drive and steering.

(Merged the topic.)

Welcome to EB Kroes!!

Totally agree with Lundgren, buy them all. Then you will want even more. :classic: And if you ask me, 8043 is the best studless set so far.

I second (or third) this!

But it depends on your goal. Do you want a great set or do you want more parts?

8043 is the best set when it comes to playability and (arguably) looks.

(Merged the topic.)

Welcome to EB Kroes!!

Thanks to all of you! is a fantastic Forum! :classic:

I chose to buy the unimog! But do not forsake the 8043

I'm already putting money aside, just find an good opportunity to take that too. :grin:

Edited by Kroes

i think the highly sought after sets are 8275, 8043 and 8110. Other large sets (like 42009) are bought for the high parts count.

I am starting with the 42009, and i'm now putting my lego sights on 8043 or 8110. :devil: :devil: :devil:

What would you choose between 8275, 42009 and 8110 ? I am leaning towards 8275, but i am curios what would you choose ?

Edited by Freekysch

I see 3 vehicles, the front loader, dump truck and excavator (which actually looks very good, as compared to the same scale I believe as the 8419).

What I am wondering per the topic heading is the set worth buying to those who have it overseas already?

Just curious.

Thanks, Eric

Merging this with the global topic.....

It is hard for anyone to tell you whether or not a set is worth it. That depends on you and what you like. I suggest you start by reading Jim's review.

I see 3 vehicles, the front loader, dump truck and excavator (which actually looks very good, as compared to the same scale I believe as the 8419).

What I am wondering per the topic heading is the set worth buying to those who have it overseas already?

Just curious.

Thanks, Eric

Are you meaning 42023, I havent opened mine yet, only really bought it as a spare parts set, reasonable value as parts.

42023 is a cute set, but does not offer much in terms of functionality, complexity, playability, nor are any interesting building techniques used. It's fun to build once, that's mostly it. Probably aimed at a younger audience (but then again, isn't all of Technic?).

Edited by jantjeuh

I'm looking for the type of set that leaves you with no option but to marvel in wonder at its designer's intellect. I have already assembled 8295, 8043, and 8273 (of which 8043 was definitely my favorite), and my initial observations point me toward 42009, 8110, 8109, and 9396 (roughly in order). Do any of these stand out as being the most clever? Are there any I should add to this list?

I usually find that the larger sets are much more interesting, so I think I will limit my search to sets with at least 800 pieces. Also, as good as the earlier sets are, I would rather not spend more than $250 if possible. I do not care at all about buying sets just for the pieces (I don't intend to disassemble them except to build the other model). Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

Edited by Chelonian4

Hello, I'm here to ask for your opinion on which set i should get (sorry if I posted this topic incorrectly).I have a choice to buy 8070 with PF motorization or 9398. Currently, I have the 42000 set. I'm planning on motorizing it with 9398(inspired by someone here who posted here about the combination, sorry for forgetting) or 8070 with 2XL Motors, IR Reciever and Remote. Due to my location, I can get the 9398 set at $280, the 8070 set at $245, the XL motor at $24 and the others are going to be requested by order with roughly the same price in the internet. With the somewhat complex gearbox of the 8070 and playability of 9398 and factoring in the prices, which set should I get?

No doubt one of the moderators will combine this with the other thread, but it is entirely your choice, which is going to give you the most enjoyment, do you intend just to play with them or are they for parts for other builds, which has the most parts that you think you may use?

No doubt one of the moderators will combine this with the other thread...

Yup :sweet:

...but it is entirely your choice, which is going to give you the most enjoyment, do you intend just to play with them or are they for parts for other builds, which has the most parts that you think you may use?

Agreed

Hi,

I'm wondering if it's better to buy used 8466 off roader for about 100-110 euro or new 9398 in regular price?

Please tell me what do You guys think :)

Hi,

I'm wondering if it's better to buy used 8466 off roader for about 100-110 euro or new 9398 in regular price?

Please tell me what do You guys think :)

Well 8466 is rare and has the power puller wheels which are tough to get. However the 9398 has pf, but i don't like it much so I'd say the 8466

This is a question with no right or wrong answer. Really depends on your goal, when buying sets. Are you a collector, a builder, do you need the parts, do you want PF, want the PP wheels, etc.

The 9398 will be available for a while, so you might get the 8466 and get the crawler later.