It's the 8458 Silver Sportscar (as made by Nathanael Kuipers), The 8466 and my modded Unimog.

dsc09278_small.jpg

Hopefully this will give you some idea of how big these models are.

Ok, how about 8043 (motorized excavator) or 8110 (Unimog)? I went to the Lego store to buy 8110, and the guy there said that 8043 was a better set. Since I wanted to do some research I decided to buy a modular building instead... So now when I go back, which is better than the other?

Ok, how about 8043 (motorized excavator) or 8110 (Unimog)? I went to the Lego store to buy 8110, and the guy there said that 8043 was a better set. Since I wanted to do some research I decided to buy a modular building instead... So now when I go back, which is better than the other?

Hey Squelch, I'd go with 8110. 8110 has much more parts and pneumatics. 8043 has more motors and is remote controlled. I guess it depends on whether you would prefer more PF parts, or a higher part count.

I had to make the same chose one week ago, and after reading a lot of reviews i still wasn't sure what to get. So i went to a friend of mine who has them both. 8110 is a bigger set (parts and sheer size), it has pneumatics, very MOC friendly. On the other hand 8043 looks awesome (i really like earth-moving machines), it has lots of PF and it is remote controlled. The only downside of 8043 is that you have to buy lots batteries.

For me, 8043 is much more appealing because of the tracks, PFs, and the fact it looks awesome.

PS: Also, 8043 will be discontinued, so get it while you can.

I would also recommend 8043 over 8110 simply because of the mind boggling gearbox; it also feels far more intelligently designed than the Unimog which feels a little haphazard (this does not mean it is a bad set).

8043 is amazingly solid. It has a feel of quality in a very pleasant way. It doesn't flex and it has no empty space in the body, which is very satisfying. It is also very well balanced (between boom and the body). And the gearbox is of course quite stunning. I came back from my dark ages with 8043, and that was definitely a good choice. No regrets. :)

I really like all of the construction based sets over most of the others. I would love to see a flagship of the 8264 Hauler dumper. In the meantime I may have to build my own or the beautiful one Hans created.

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like 8043 is a better bet. Is it safe to assume the Unimog will be around for another year or so?

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like 8043 is a better bet. Is it safe to assume the Unimog will be around for another year or so?

Excellent choice!! The 8043 is one of the coolest sets ever (imho). Get it while you can, for a fair price, and buy the Unimog later.

I'm just getting back into Technic after a ~20 year break and have been going about acquiring some of the sets from the past few years. I must say it would have been much cheaper to get back into Lego at say 2005 or so.

The prices for 8275 and 8421 are getting pretty ridiculous. I'm pretty sure I want them both so my question is are they worth what people are asking these days?

I have the 8043 and 8258 along with a few other recent sets(8051, 8052, 8053, 8063, 8069, 8070, 8109, 8264, 8265). I will have to buy all the new sets when they go on clearance for the next few years to offset what the older ones are costing me! :)

The prices for 8275 and 8421 are getting pretty ridiculous. I'm pretty sure I want them both so my question is are they worth what people are asking these days?

8421 is an awesome set due to it´s sheer size, and to it´s complexity. It´s fun to build and to play with. Other than that, it´s one of the largest technic sets ever, so yes, it´s worth it. But I wouldn´t buy it MISB as the prize is as you said ridiculous high. Try to find it in a good used condition, 8421 (used) will cost you around 100€ on ebay , including the box. I think thats a descent prize.

8275 is another good example of a very very good set, it has less parts than 8421 but due to it´s PF elements its a must have! It´s so much fun to play with, even though I think that 8043 is better in terms of playability.

I bought a used 8275 about 2 month ago on ebay for 90€ in very good condition including the box. I didn´t even had to wash the parts as the former owner only used it as a display model.

So both models are a must-have in my opinion, but I would try to get them second hand because as MISB the are not affordable (at least for me).

fitzi

8421 is an awesome set due to it´s sheer size, and to it´s complexity. It´s fun to build and to play with. Other than that, it´s one of the largest technic sets ever, so yes, it´s worth it. But I wouldn´t buy it MISB as the prize is as you said ridiculous high. Try to find it in a good used condition, 8421 (used) will cost you around 100€ on ebay , including the box. I think thats a descent prize.

8275 is another good example of a very very good set, it has less parts than 8421 but due to it´s PF elements its a must have! It´s so much fun to play with, even though I think that 8043 is better in terms of playability.

I bought a used 8275 about 2 month ago on ebay for 90€ in very good condition including the box. I didn´t even had to wash the parts as the former owner only used it as a display model.

So both models are a must-have in my opinion, but I would try to get them second hand because as MISB the are not affordable (at least for me).

Thanks for the rundown. I have an 8275 on the way and will look into getting the 8421 after that if I can find one suitable. I must say I don't really care for the studded beams that made an appearance on both of these two kits but they are too important to overlook. I look forward to seeing what these two sets have to offer.

How do you guys like 8297? I missed out on this set. Now the cheapest NEW is $230 in the US (Bricklink). Is it worth that price? I think I can get a lot more for the money with other current sets.

Thanks

8297 is good for parts (it has best offroad tires, all suspension and steering parts and decent amount of panels and other technic parts), but as a set is not so good. Body lifting mechanism is nice and it solid looking, but that's it. For that kind of money get Unimog. It has all those parts and a lot more (except tires, but those are also ok) and its much more interesting build. 8070 supercar is also nice choice and for it was suprisingly good build, after first disapointment.

@Allanp - agreed, the 8459 and rereleases of same loader in set nos. 8464 and 8439 are far superior than the 8265.

Personally, i'de get 8439

8439-00.jpg

It has all the same functionality of 8265 but IMO does what it does in a much better way and the whole design just seems much more thought out. The steering is not heavy or flimsy like it is in 8265, and the steering wheel works too. It has 4WD and a V6 engine, like the 8265, and there is no need to endlessly turn a crank until your fingers wear down! Motorisation of the 8265 is an added cost not needed of the 8439 and the end result is a loader that can't lift as much as 8439. 8265 does have a nice amount of complexity tho, but this is one of the very rare cases where it seems to be complex only for the sake of complexity, but that's just my opinion :classic:

@Cwetqo - I agree, the 8297 looks ok, but the set was disappointing in all, the 2 motorized functions for the body lift and the winch were ok, but the winch worked quite badly at keeping the string from releasing or retracting unless you had some force on it either way. The 8070 was quite a nice car, not as great as the 8448, but still a very realistic looking car if you can ignore the motor hanging out of the rear.

8297 is good for parts (it has best offroad tires, all suspension and steering parts and decent amount of panels and other technic parts), but as a set is not so good. Body lifting mechanism is nice and it solid looking, but that's it. For that kind of money get Unimog. It has all those parts and a lot more (except tires, but those are also ok) and its much more interesting build. 8070 supercar is also nice choice and for it was suprisingly good build, after first disapointment.

@Technic Gearhead - if you are in the US, look out the price might surprise you, the 8421 is going for crazy prices here on Amazon or BL since it is ranked among the best flagships.

Thanks for the rundown. I have an 8275 on the way and will look into getting the 8421 after that if I can find one suitable. I must say I don't really care for the studded beams that made an appearance on both of these two kits but they are too important to overlook. I look forward to seeing what these two sets have to offer.

@Technic Gearhead - I agree the prices, especially for the 8421 are ridiculous no doubt, the other ones you mentioned are reasonably priced and most still available for MSRP on Lego S@H, with the exception of 8051, 8052, 8053, 8063, 8264 and 8265, TRU online in the US still has some sets though, 8051, 8052, and 8053, but I'm betting not for long since they were 2010 summer releases. My thoughts are all are decent sets, personally would take the older pneumatic front-end loader, 8439, 8459, or 8464 over the 8265, the 8265 is way too large in scale to fit in with the other sets you mentioned and as noted unless you motorize it, forget it, the hand cranking is nuts. The 8063 is still going for reasonable prices, it wasn't a real popular set, dippy looking green trailer, though I liked the black/red color scheme on the tractor, it had a few differences between it and its brother from 2006, the tractor set 8284, didn't like the lime coloring, it was really meant as a dune buggy, but most built the 'b' model tractor, kind of like Lego decided why not rerelease another set that besides the trailer on the 8063, looks nearly identical, I tossed the green panels and used the chassis of the trailer with black panels to make a flatbed trailer to hook to my 8436 Truck. The 8264 is still fairly decently priced, a good looking model, but as far as Technic goes, it was a bit of a disappointment, only 1 gear in it to make it articulated, the 'b' model was more fun. Might want to consider the 8292 Cherry Picker too, both main and 'b' models were really cool and eye catching. Might want to snap up the 9395 Tow Truck which is readily available everywhere and if you can find it, the 9397 Logging Truck, TRU in the USA must have had a huge run, it was in stock and out of stock in 1 day, or they only got a few and I here Argo's in the UK has them too. S@H doesn't have it available yet, heard it was set as a March release. Just my 2 cents worth...

I'm just getting back into Technic after a ~20 year break and have been going about acquiring some of the sets from the past few years. I must say it would have been much cheaper to get back into Lego at say 2005 or so.

I have the 8043 and 8258 along with a few other recent sets(8051, 8052, 8053, 8063, 8069, 8070, 8109, 8264, 8265). I will have to buy all the new sets when they go on clearance for the next few years to offset what the older ones are costing me! :)

Yeah I would get the 8043 soon, its still available at TRU online and at S@H but probably not for long, its been out since July 2010, the Unimog will be available for a while I'm betting, but I recall the 8275 Bulldozer was a short run of like 3 months and they were never again seen except on BL or Amazon.

Excellent choice!! The 8043 is one of the coolest sets ever (imho). Get it while you can, for a fair price, and buy the Unimog later.

@Squelch - I wouldn't hold your breath on the Unimog, the 8275 Bulldozer came and went fast on online sites, suprising since it was so popular back in the day. I'd get it while you can.

8043 is on its way! It should arrive tomorrow. :thumb up: And TechnicFreak - I won't wait too long for the Unimog. Maybe a month or two...

Edited by Squelch

8043 is on its way! It should arrive tomorrow.

That is one fantastic set! You will not be disappointed.

tim

Just a thought to put in your mind Squelch - 8043 has had a long, long run for a flagship, but the 8275 Bulldozer was gone in like 3 months and never to resurface, 8258 if I recall came in about Aug 2009, then was sold out by Xmas and pulled from the S@H website, then it made a re-emergence some time after Xmas in the USA...and hey if they do go for some reason I bought 6 of them for my BL store set to re-open in the spring, but you could buy one from me and since you are in the USA shipping wouldn't be too bad I wouldn't think, its a big set but I sold an 8285 Tow truck and had to ship it Fed Ex Ground because of its size, about same as the 8110, to a guy in California and I'm in Michigan and it was like $26.00. I haven't reinputted my inventory as of yet in BL, I know its against the rules to do 'under the table' sales if its in your store's BL inventory

8043 is on its way! It should arrive tomorrow. :thumb up: And TechnicFreak - I won't wait too long for the Unimog. Maybe a month or two...

Edited by TechnicFreak

Should I buy 8053 Mobile Crane for its parts?

Hello, I built 8421 as a flagship of its time (I bought it used a few months ago), and now since 8053 is going off the shelves am wondering whether I should have that one too.

I'm not interested in the main model so much, more in the B-model and most in the parts. Now I'm just at the begging of my MOC-ing "career", although did some MODs - fully motorized and RCed 8294 Excavator for example. Now I'm looking for a solid pool of parts to do more creative MOC-ing from ground up. I bought 8265 Front Loader just before it got off the shelves, also 8295 Telescopic Handler and am wondering if 8053 is good deal considering its relatively high price (EUR 100) for its parts. Does it have some valuable/rare parts that are less found in other Technic sets? What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

@ mlahor: This Bricklink set inventory of the 8053 Mobile Crane set shows a broad selection of Lego Technic parts, but you could probably purchase the DESIRABLE parts for a lot less than 100 Euros by using the hyperlinks in that same Bricklink webpage. This Brickset webpage shows that the Recommended Retail Price for the 8053 set is 76.99 Pounds (= US $99.99), equivalent to ~76.10 Euros today.

Edited by DLuders

Just bought 8110, lucky too. I talked to Toys r Us today and they said there were only 17 8110s left in CANADA! I was like OMG so I bought it right away. I don't know how much there are left including the new LEGO stores that opened up in Toronto but TrU just said there were only 17 left. I got it for CAD $229.99.

Ok, I'm heading to the Lego store Saturday to buy the 8110 Unimog. I'll have some extra cash with me, so should I go with the 8069 Backhoe Loader or the 8081 Extreme Cruiser? I could also swing the 8109 Flatbed Truck if I use some VIP Points. What do you all think?

If you can swing for the Flatbed, definitely get that as it's a very well designed set. Otherwise, go for the Backhoe, it's far more interesting than the Extreme Cruiser.