kevin8

(MOC)-Modular Car Wash aka House of the Afol

The year after I completed the Cinema, it was 2011, I tried to build my second modular.

Starting from two points:

1- My kid loved Car Wash

2- I love the way Lego created Town Plan's Octane Station

I made this Angle Modular Building.

It has an Octane Service Station with Car Wash on the Ground Floor and a 2-store house upon it.

Being the Car Wash very high, I had to separate the second floor in two different pieces.

On the last floor there's the bedroom with a Lego Room on the rear. It has some Modular Houses on a desk and a series of drawers with Lego Parts inside them.

On the roof there's a chimney sweeper...

I hope you will enjoy it.

www.flickr.com/photos/kevin8/sets/72157631301835298/

Absolutely brilliant. The interior is wonderfull and the outside is great to. Can't even tell whats my favourite. Have seen so many very fine details, my head spins.

This looks awesome! I love the contrast between the style of the Octan gas station and the residential part of the building.

Tnx!

As you can see I don't love tiled floor... I think it's more playable if I build floors with plates...

Very unique. I have never seen a carwash in a multi storey before. It seems odd to me of a car driving on the sidewalk into the carwash but, I guess that is normal in some places. A great moc nevertheless and I like how you integrated the car wash with the rest of the building seamlessly.

Yep! You're right... I justify this oddity with the need of the property of the Service Station...

His old father had once a garage, where he repaired cars and other stuff... now, his son, being lazy, decided to close the garage and convert it into a Car Wash (less work, same moneys). Obviously he couldn't throw down a wall, so he put a translating car wash.

Minifigs can enter with their cars, lock the position and start the washing. At the end, they will just back out...

:grin:

I have never seen a carwash in a multi storey before. It seems odd to me of a car driving on the sidewalk into the carwash but, I guess that is normal in some places.

There was one at the corner of the street when I was kid.

Now it is just a normal garage, but you can imagine that building with the pumps beside the grey van and the (manual) car wash area behind the yellow door:

https://maps.google.com/?ll=50.869218,4.328259&spn=0.001709,0.002481&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=50.869248,4.328462&panoid=NCs8KgqkDPA6UgOUnClZVw&cbp=12,359.73,,0,-5.94

Really great MOC

Very nice! Reminds me of what a service station / car wash would be like in a crowded urban environment. Really nice integration of the Town Plan Service Station / Car Wash with a multi-story modular building.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Hi

the car wash/gas station itself is nicely done. The house above is nicely done with lots of details. I like the visible studs on the walls.

But both together? Meh! I am sorry, they do not fit together :(

Two totally different building styles met each other but they are soooo different.

Dino

Maybe you're right, but, sometimes old buildings comes through so many changes and reconstructions... (I'm clutching at straws... :grin: )

Anyway, it's a good critiques, something to remember next time... :blush:

Edited by kevin8

Cool, I have to admit it would make a great combo modular set. TLG should think about it. I really like the way you mixt the different architectural style, passing from Second Empire to Art Nouveau for the car wash (with the curve window!). I also think your creation is representative of the reality of that time, renovations and construction that have absolutely no connection with the building around the the ones connected too. For having done that you have my respect!

Well done!

I liked the way you did the glass section of the main gas station front coupled with the pipe leading the edge. I really liked that technique.

Thak you, but the curved glass of the station is the same of Town Plan Gas Station... :blush:

It was such a great idea that I kept it. We should thanks Lego designers... :wink: