Mike S

How to grow a Masa Palm

After my Island of Gorr build in Guilds of Historica, some showed interest in how I put the palms together. So I finally found some time to show you how to grow a Masa Palm.

9470197595_b2bed8581b_c.jpg

Masa Palm by Masa of Kaliphlin, on Flickr

You will need the following pieces:

9470216615_165bbfac02_c.jpg

Masa Palm Parts by Masa of Kaliphlin, on Flickr

Step 1: You need a solid foundation for the palm to grow roots.

9470214895_f294aa4980_c.jpg

Masa Palm Step 1 by Masa of Kaliphlin, on Flickr

Step 2: Determine how tall you wish your Masa Palm to grow and add the trunk to the foundation.

9470213261_6a7e4da0f9_c.jpg

Masa Palm Step 2 by Masa of Kaliphlin, on Flickr

Step 3: I think the pictures are self explanatory

9470210249_61185b5edc_c.jpg

Masa Palm Step 3 by Masa of Kaliphlin, on Flickr

9470211679_d711ec0425_c.jpg

Masa Palm Step 3 Complete by Masa of Kaliphlin, on Flickr

Step 4: Attach the palm piece you put together in Step 3 to the palm trunk.

9470208801_fddcc9bc84_c.jpg

Masa Palm Step 4 by Masa of Kaliphlin, on Flickr

Step 5: Attach palm leaves to parallel sides of the 6x5 plant leaves piece.

9472989556_2bbdfe3fb8_c.jpg

Masa Palm Step 5 by Masa of Kaliphlin, on Flickr

9472991114_c22c76c72b_c.jpg

Masa Palm Step 5 Complete by Masa of Kaliphlin, on Flickr

Step 6: Attach another palm leaf to the "jousting" pole.

9472987896_5c7a62ea5e_c.jpg

Masa Palm Step 6 by Masa of Kaliphlin, on Flickr

Step 7: Attach more leaves. This can be tricky as you are wedging the leaf connection stem into place.

9470201403_11f581a1b1_c.jpg

Masa Palm Step 7 by Masa of Kaliphlin, on Flickr

9470202721_dd37e6c7aa_c.jpg

Masa Palm Step 7 Complete by Masa of Kaliphlin, on Flickr

Step 8: Just like step 5 but only one to attach here on the longest point of the 6x5 plant leaves piece.

9472983848_66b5f1da9a_c.jpg

Masa Palm Step 8 by Masa of Kaliphlin, on Flickr

Step 9: Attach the remaining 3 palm leaves to the underside connections of the 3 corners of the 6x5 plant leaves piece.

9472982736_cf932d58ce_c.jpg

Masa Palm Step 9 by Masa of Kaliphlin, on Flickr

Also here is a picture showing the connection points on the 6x5 plant leaves piece.

9473001534_e40b3ab46c_c.jpg

Masa Palm Connection Points by Masa of Kaliphlin, on Flickr

If you liked this design, be sure to check out Guilds of Historica as there are a lot of great techniques and builds posted there instead of the regular Historic Forum.

Edited by Masa of Kaliphlin

Thanks for this show of technique, looks very natural. :thumbup:

Wow, thanks for the tutorial! This is a fantastic tree technique.

Thanks for this show of technique, looks very natural. :thumbup:

Great technique and clear explanation. Thanks.

That is a great looking palm, thanks for sharing Masa

Thanks for the comments! I've got several other tree/shrub designs in the works but most of them are quite simple and probably won't need a tutorial.

Very nice; thank you for the tutorial! There's a big tree index thread around the forums somewhere, this certainly ought to be in there. :thumbup:

Thee ultimate style! Master technique! I'm not saying that because your one of my favourite builder's. This is a part of why you are one of my favourite builder's. You figure out some awesome solutions to old problems. The solutions are so easy too. That makes them better.

Thanks again for the comments!

Very nice; thank you for the tutorial! There's a big tree index thread around the forums somewhere, this certainly ought to be in there. :thumbup:

Thanks! I think I have seen a link for that thread somewhere. Now to find it.

Thee ultimate style! Master technique! I'm not saying that because your one of my favourite builder's. This is a part of why you are one of my favourite builder's. You figure out some awesome solutions to old problems. The solutions are so easy too. That makes them better.

Thanks man! I don't think I have enough patience to come up with complicated solutions... :laugh:

Masa, thanks for posting this. I recently got some palm leaves, and was trying out different palm tree designs. Yours looks very interesting and useful.

So I finally found some time to show you how to grow a Masa Palm.

Excellent! My Town definitely needs some trees/vegetation and this looks perfect...

Thanks for sharing it with us

Thanks for this tutorial!

I hope this is more stable than my usual palm tree technique involving round plates with hooks, but regardless the upwards leaves look much better.

I'm definitely going to try this technique in some upcoming Kaliphlin build or maybe on some uninhabited (?) island :wink:

Thanks for the tutorial! I'll remember it, even though I only have two of those palm leaf pieces. :sceptic:

thanks for the tutorial, i will try this when i build something in a desert setting

Masa, thanks for posting this. I recently got some palm leaves, and was trying out different palm tree designs. Yours looks very interesting and useful.

Excellent! My Town definitely needs some trees/vegetation and this looks perfect...

Thanks for sharing it with us

Thanks for this tutorial!

I hope this is more stable than my usual palm tree technique involving round plates with hooks, but regardless the upwards leaves look much better.

I'm definitely going to try this technique in some upcoming Kaliphlin build or maybe on some uninhabited (?) island :wink:

Thanks for the tutorial! I'll remember it, even though I only have two of those palm leaf pieces. :sceptic:

Thanks guys! Looking forward to seeing this in some of your MOCs!

This is a great build because it looks wonderful and does not require the very expensive large palm tree leaves.

Has anyone noticed how expensive palm tree parts have gotten since they seem to no longer be offering the old style palm trees in sets for over ten years?

Does anyone know why TLG quit making the old style palm trees? They are much more beautiful than the new style of "palm tree" used in the Seaside House 7436....that tree really is ugly!

Fortunately we saved the old palm trees in my son's pirate sets and my old Paradisa sets, but I do wish that they still made them. They are my favorite LEGO trees along with the cypresses.

(MOD: Do we need a new topic: What happened to the old style of Palm Trees? Thanks!)

Does anybody dowloaded all these pictures from instructions? Now they are gone from Flicker and I do not have them :(