The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I can finally say, I told you so. :laugh:

The details of the leak graphic were too much to be faked. Being a born and raised Miamian I'm glad they came through with this one. This set has a personal attachment now. In fact, I might as well call it, the set that saved me from the Dark Ages.

I was going to also say as I plan to do a couple Miami highrises as well for GFLUG, one of them has a keen dependence on turquoise so hopefully, as these parts will likely become LUGBULK available (the Wall-E parts in fact preceded the set in availability back in '15) I will definitely LUGBULK them.

Of course, I feel that I will MOD this set. To turn the "Downtown" Diner to a "South Beach" Diner I will likely make a few color changes to better reflect the area. I was eyeing the Ninjago fences too because I think those better capture the Miami vibe than brown picket fences.

1 hour ago, DeanLearner said:

Interesting. Can anyone make out any interior detail, especially to indicate what the upper floors are?

It really does look like there is an antenna on the roof. I’d love it if the suggestion of a radio station was true (might have to try to make a non period-correct Alan Partridge fig).

Yes, the antenna might indicate something like a radio station, a small newspaper office or a journalist's office (given the fig with the camera on that floor).
Which would be great.
Can't make out any details, but the boxer now pops out on the left of the first floor, so that might suggest a gym, or a boxing school of some kind.

Anyway, this set is ours. Ours I say!

2 hours ago, ddavid said:

I knew it would be impossible to fake it. And now we know it. It looks quite interesting, but a bit narrow. And I think it’s a corner building because the windows of the building are on both sides.

And the freebie for the 60th anniversary is awesome too!

Yes, that looks great!
Any detail on this set yet? I can't make out the number, nor can I find it anywhere online.

Looking better and better. Not totally sold on the 'Dinner' sign. It's too big, big enough to practically cover the first storey windows. I'll try to place the 'dinner' sign on the roof, it might look better. Not sure, though.

5 hours ago, Axylius said:

Well for what it's worth, the wait was kind of worth it, It looks so different and so nice. Kudos to the designer for this amazing design but am I the only one who feels that I am gonna have to get two of these to replicate the right hand side design on the left side of the stretched oval thingy as well, to make it look so much more awesome and beautiful.

The more i look at the deign the more I am liking it.

1 hour ago, LegoSjaak said:

If you buy two set and mirror-built one, and take away one of the Juke-box-bows, you have in fact one large  stand-alone Diner...! That is what i'm gonna do!

Me and you are thinking along the same lines, what i would really like to do is to replicate one of the juke-box-bows (stretched oval thingy) on the backside of the model (instead of not utilizing an entire bow juke-box-bow structure), that would improve the lighting inside the set by quite a lot, but will have to see the 360 degree image of the set to verify the feasibility for this design.

Still it looks like an amazing set with quite a lot of scope for modifications.

p.s. : if possible someone kindly let me know if there is some word for the semi-stretched-oval design, its quite difficult to come up with new and short words to name that structure...:cry_sad:

34 minutes ago, Brickolta said:

Also cool that the glass of the diner looks somewhat like this:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor art deco diner

many people have been saying the Diner draws inspiration from the painting below, but your image carries a more complete Diner reference. It always feels good to discover Lego likeness in real world structures.:classic:

e3n6lx6sdcj21.jpg.3dd6f33a2d871bc254b7f85c709c8a1b.jpg

Edited by Axylius

On 11/26/2017 at 5:26 PM, brickextreme2 said:

The bottom line - I'm willing to bet that this is fake but I'll eat crow later if I'm wrong!

How did you cook up that crow and how did it taste? :devil::tongue::laugh:

Just now, BrickFit26 said:

How did you cook up that crow and how did it taste? :devil::tongue::laugh:

I would suggest you use a lot of chili-sauce....haha...

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor cooked crow

I have to be honest. After putting money aside the last few months and saving up to be able to afford the next modular I was quietly disappointed a couple of weeks ago when the first pic leaked and there was a big part of me that really hoped it was a fake. It seemed to suggest the TLG were taking the modulars in a new direction and I really couldn't see how the diner would work in a street scene next to all the previous sets.

Now I've seen the new image though I have completely changed my mind. It looks great and much better from this angle showing the side with stairs etc. I can't see any reason now why this couldn't fit in with the other modulars.

Wow, what a nice surprise to wake up to this morning, and I bet the official press release will be today at some point as well!

To be honest i really was disappointed with the leaked picture but now with the calender picture not so much.

Have to see the official pictures later today...

Just now, Bricked1980 said:

I have to be honest. After putting money aside the last few months and saving up to be able to afford the next modular I was quietly disappointed a couple of weeks ago when the first pic leaked and there was a big part of me that really hoped it was a fake. It seemed to suggest the TLG were taking the modulars in a new direction and I really couldn't see how the diner would work in a street scene next to all the previous sets.

Now I've seen the new image though I have completely changed my mind. It looks great and much better from this angle showing the side with stairs etc. I can't see any reason now why this couldn't fit in with the other modulars.

Wow, what a nice surprise to wake up to this morning, and I bet the official press release will be today at some point as well!

That´s why is better to save quick judges when something (not only in Lego "world") happens :) Quick judges ar usually wrong ones and they never brings any objectivity... 

Cannot wait to see the designer video for this one. Will be interesting to see who the designer is, and maybe find out why they moved away from the classic faces.

13 minutes ago, just_one said:
i think i missunderstood but is the modular coming out with 2x VIP points AND the anniversary set as a freebie?

If you look at the Calendar, you can see that the Anniversary set is not placed on a specific date or dates and above 125$. However, it is probably limited to a time period. 
I don't see double VIP though. I believe just before Christmas there might be a double VIP points action, but I don't know if you can preorder and you probably do not get the anniversary set.

7 hours ago, jdubbs said:

I don't think it's technically a corner building... kind of a weird hybrid. The sidewalk doesn't extend around the corner... only to the stairs. 

I like that, I have a place in my layout where it will fit well, and where a regular or corner building would not look as good :)

Just now, antp said:

I like that, I have a place in my layout where it will fit well, and where a regular or corner building would not look as good :)

Me too, I hoped for something similar as Parisian restaurant - respectively that footprint especially with those stairs on side. It fits perfectly to my downtown area next to the Hounted house and it will make perfect alleyway between those two - on one side there will be stair and other will have fences from back of the HH yard :) Looking forward to it. 

Also it has great meanings to me, because ths one is last modular which fits to my small layout (only 7x3 baseplates and something) so... :)

Just now, Blazej_Holen said:

Me too, I hoped for something similar as Parisian restaurant - respectively that footprint especially with those stairs on side. It fits perfectly to my downtown area next to the Hounted house and it will make perfect alleyway between those two - on one side there will be stair and other will have fences from back of the HH yard :) Looking forward to it. 

Also it has great meanings to me, because ths one is last modular which fits to my small layout (only 7x3 baseplates and something) so... :)

Sounds good. Do you have any pictures of your HH? Looking from some ideas on on how to position mine.

57 minutes ago, Gorki247 said:

Cannot wait to see the designer video for this one. Will be interesting to see who the designer is, and maybe find out why they moved away from the classic faces.

I bet is Jamie's.

Any thoughts for which modulars the dinner will fit in well between?

I’m wondering about AS on the right. It would solve a bit of a problem as I haven’t got anything at present that really fits to the left of AS (and the only combination I’ve seen that looks good is CC, which I don’t have).

Just now, DeanLearner said:

Any thoughts for which modulars the dinner will fit in well between?

I’m wondering about AS on the right. It would solve a bit of a problem as I haven’t got anything at present that really fits to the left of AS (and the only combination I’ve seen that looks good is CC, which I don’t have).

I was also thinking it would work quite well to the left of AS.

Just noticed something interesting... It's a bit hard to tell for sure because the new image is heavily pixelated, but I'm pretty sure they've used the old version of the Creator logo next to the image of the Diner. How strange.

Edited by Bricked1980

2 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

I was also thinking it would work quite well to the left of AS.

Just noticed something interesting... It's a bit hard to tell for sure because the new image is heavily pixelated, but I'm pretty sure they've used the old version of the Creator logo next to the image of the Diner. How strange.

You mean the one at the bottom right of the image, yes? Looks like the new one to me, same as the last three modulars.

Edited by Gorki247

1 minute ago, Gorki247 said:

You mean the one at the bottom right of the image, yes? Looks like the new one to me, same as the last three modulars.

No I don't mean the "Expert" logo/symbol. I'm just talking about the standard Creator logo towards the top left next to the Lego logo. They've updated this to a different font for the new 2018 Creator sets and on the Taj Mahal. 

However on the store calendar image released earlier It looks as if they've used the old version of the creator logo with the old font.

Edited by Bricked1980

I see. I imagine that is just an oversight by the person creating the calendar; I'm sure the box will have the new logo.